Start by marking “The Great American Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Great American Wolf

The Great American Wolf

Hampton tells the remarkable three hundred year odyssey of the American wolf. What was once North America's most reviled beast, pursued to extinction throughout the United States, has become, in the last half century, a symbol of wilderness, tolerated and even desired over much of its former range.
Published November 15th 1997 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Great American Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great American Wolf

Jerry
May 04, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it
This book aptly portrayed how unseemly, abominable, exhausting, and downright ludicrous the "wolf wars" really were. It showed how hypocritical humans are, and how destructive we can be in our ignorance and apathy. A truly inspiring, disillusioning book.
Ddonaldson591
Feb 22, 2017 Ddonaldson591 rated it really liked it
This book chronicles the history of wolves in the United States. I was under the impression I might learn some more about wolf biology, but overall a good read.
LilithEmm
This book is an excellently researched history of wolves in America with tons of quotes and facts, but it is particularly impressive how well the author captures the mood of the times and the different points of view of humans regarding wolves. Wolf lovers should be warned, though, that he describes the killing of wolves in detail as well, which is the main reason I can't say that I really enjoyed reading the book sometimes. All the same, a very good book for those who want to know more about wo ...more
Sparkie Allison
Jan 05, 2014 Sparkie Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched history of wolves in North America but with disturbing detail of humans changing from respecting the wolf to destroying them. I started and stopped the book several times before finally finishing it. As an animal lover, it is intriguing and frustrating. Wolves are beautiful animals. We have invaded their territory and we cannot expect them to stay in a certain area to be controlled by wildlife mgmt. I appreciate places such as the Wolf Conservatory in NY and Wolf Hollow in Ipsw ...more
Hillary Shepard
Nov 24, 2016 Hillary Shepard rated it really liked it
Really interesting and well written - not a long read got through in two days and am excited to give to a friend - the last 50 pages or so get very into names, legal cases etc - which are good things but didn't feel as interesting as the fist 200 pages ! That might just be me - def check out !
LucidStyle
There is so much historical detail in this book, which helps to place the plight of the wolf in a proper light today. Certainly wolves and other natural predators are in need of advocates, access to their prey, and adequate habitat.
Maddie Davis
Oct 15, 2012 Maddie Davis rated it really liked it
Very informative, but very dry. I am a wolf lover and enjoyed this book, but I think that at times it could of been spiced up a bit.
Vern
Though I was expecting a book on wolf ecology, behavior, etc., I read an good book on human-wolf relations. Sadly, it details human inhumanity and hysteria.
Nevins Smith
Nevins Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Tayla
Tayla rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Argyl
Argyl rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2011
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2011
MC
MC rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2009
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Nellie K.
Nellie K. marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2011
Curt
Curt marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Kylen
Kylen added it
Jun 13, 2013
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Qeta
Qeta added it
Jun 18, 2014
Tracie Montgomery
Tracie Montgomery marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Maria Mckay
Maria Mckay is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
James Mckay
James Mckay marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Aprillivesbooks
Aprillivesbooks marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Guruguru
Guruguru marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Anne Wolfe
Anne Wolfe marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Ashes
Ashes marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2016
Steven Seelig
Steven Seelig marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2017
Tom Mueller
Tom Mueller marked it as to-read
May 05, 2010
learnreadimagine
learnreadimagine marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016

“...they marveled at the animal's elusiveness, loyalty, and affection, its willingness to defend its territory; its stamina and ability to travel long distances and resist hunger for many days; its acute use of odor, sight, and sound in locating prey and avoiding danger; its patience, following a sick or wounded prey for great distances; and its contentment to be away from its home for long periods of time. Working cooperatively with fellow pack mates, the wolf demonstrated time and again it power over prey by encircling it, ambushing it, or running it to exhaustion --the same methods that Native Americans themselves used. In all these manifestations, they found the wolf supremely worthy of emulation.” 4 likes
“One day during his time in the Southwest, Leopold and several companions chanced upon a female wolf ans shot her. "We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes --something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.” 2 likes