Start by marking “King Solomon's Mines” as Want to Read:
King Solomon's Mines

King Solomon's Mines

Hardcover, Large Print, 240 pages
Published June 1st 1996 by Playmore Publishers

To ask other readers questions about King Solomon's Mines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Solomon's Mines

Micah
May 22, 2017 Micah rated it really liked it
I read this with my fourth grader. It was great.
Jim
Dec 14, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
A rollicking adventure tale. In under 200 pages, Haggard spins a fast-paced yarn with centuries-old treasure maps, treks across forbidding landscapes, wild game hunts, A quest for lost family members, starvation, dehydration, freezing, animal attacks, a lost civilization, a war, witch hunts, illness, duels, a king restored to his rightful throne, love, ancient tombs, imprisonment, underground journeys, ancient diamond mines, and a whole lot more. (He doesn't offer much in the way of, say, charac ...more
Ben Kesp
Jul 04, 2014 Ben Kesp rated it liked it
King Solomon’s Mines is one of Henry Rider Haggard's greatest works and was first published in 1885. Many of his works are fables which viewed native people as primitive and in need of salvation in contrast to the white Europeans who were superior to other human types. It was his experience in a wild and unchartered Africa that gave the backdrop to King Solomon’s Mines.

This adventure story is set in Africa and follows Allan Quartermain, an elephant hunter and his companions as they cross mounta
Craig Cote
May 31, 2015 Craig Cote rated it really liked it
I'm still not sure what made 'King Solomon's Mines' such a much more enjoyable listen than some of its contemporaries such as 'The Invisible Man' and 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. Certainly the narrator was excellent, but considering the narrator of the other two was an actor par-excellence, I find it hard to attribute the difference to that. Perhaps it is simply the fact that the main characters are likable, a definite issue in the other two novels.

In any case, I was pleasantly surprise
Conor
May 07, 2014 Conor rated it liked it
An enjoyable adventure yarn if you can overlook the casual racism. It's actually quite an impressive book, considering that it created many of the Lost World tropes that pervade adventure literature to this day. Still, the book isn't particularly deep as it doesn't explore human nature in the way a good adventure novel should.

Interestingly, the most useful part of the book was probably unintentional: it gives us a peek into the mentality of Englishmen is South Africa in the late 19th Century.
Sharon A.
Feb 22, 2015 Sharon A. rated it really liked it
This book is not my normal sort, but I downloaded it for an adventure reading through my local library, and I'm so glad I did. It was fast-paced, entertaining and amusing. Although it reflects the views of the time, I did find the adventurers likeable and with a progressive attitude toward the natives they encountered. Honestly I had the hardest time with the hunting -- I almost put it down during the elephant hunt. But I persevered and I'm glad I did.
Richard
Jun 05, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
Very much a product of it's age: God is an Englishman and all that. However, for all that it is a tale of adventure and derring-do that is well told and draws the reader into the sub - continent. Rider Haggard draws on his African experience to give the book a real substance when describing the native lifestyle.
Nathaniel L
Sep 11, 2013 Nathaniel L rated it it was ok
King Solomon's Mines shows adventure through 3 characters, a captain, a sir, and a quarter main who go on adventure searching treasure and diamonds in King Solomons mines. Sir Henry's main reason for adventuring is not the money but in search for his long lost brother. On there way there they find a African civilization. Jack Kelly has a brief form of writing the story but has a great idea to it.
Ryanbaldinogarnetvalley.org
It was a short and enjoyable piece of slightly obscure classic English literature, and it offered a nice view into what the English believed about the cultures of the native South Africans at the time. It was also a pioneer of the "lost world" genre that is still popular to this day. Kudos to H. Rider Haggard!
Janith Pathirage
Mar 02, 2015 Janith Pathirage rated it really liked it
This is one of the two H. Rider Haggard novels I really like (the other being 'Allan Quatermain'). But have to confess I haven't read many Haggard books. This one has lot of action, not cheap action. It was very realistic for an adventure novel. Since the novel is bit short , the story was on the spot form page one to the last. Really good stuff..
Brian
Feb 15, 2015 Brian rated it it was ok
Well, if you're going to abridge a classic, you get what you pay for. while the illustrations add to the enjoyment for kids, the text lacks the rhythm and beauty of the original, so reading it aloud is a bit challenging...still the action is non-stop, so it's an accessible way to have children hear some of these great stories...if you don't mind the lack of style.
Mark
Jan 10, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mark by: 501 must read books
Couldn't put it down. Tremendous boy's adventure tale. Although predictable in parts (the text is a diary, so our hero has to survive each treacherous situation, doesn't he?), I still recommend Haggard's classic to all.
Kevin Findley
A very good adaptation for kids of the original novel. The sense of adventure and wonder is kept intact while removing some of the bloodier aspects and attitudes. Older children and adults should still read the original by H Rider Haggard.
Pooja
May 17, 2016 Pooja rated it it was ok
You know when you read a book & you feel like you have already read it & you're no longer excited? Maybe the books I read were adapted from this classic but I found those versions more entertaining. Nevertheless, an OK read.
Amit Kumar
Dec 09, 2014 Amit Kumar rated it it was amazing
The narrative was amazing and fast paced. A truly good and enjoying experience.
Dan Gilbert
Dec 03, 2014 Dan Gilbert rated it liked it
It's dated, but putting that aside, I found it only moderately interesting.
Ben Biberdorf
Jan 12, 2015 Ben Biberdorf rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book, reminded me of reading Treasure Island in story as well as writing, and gave me an appreciation for older literature.
Eric Whoosis
Feb 28, 2015 Eric Whoosis rated it really liked it
A fun action adventure story, a very good read.
Cherie Waggie
Oct 19, 2014 Cherie Waggie rated it liked it
I've seen the old movies, but had never read the book. Now I know why. The book is definitely dated. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
Kathleen Huben
Jun 11, 2015 Kathleen Huben rated it it was ok
Interesting read but it never really grabbed me. Actually, this type of action/thriller doesn't always grab me - I'm not a big fan of Indiana Jones either.
Duane Tilden
May 03, 2014 Duane Tilden rated it really liked it
Well written epic tale set in the 1800's, exposing man's attitude's of the day toward man, beast and the land. Not for the faint of heart as there is some graphic descriptions of elephant slaughter.
A Ivy
Dec 20, 2014 A Ivy rated it liked it
Well written and a good adventure story, but in the end probably won't continue the series.
Massimo  Gioffre
Not my kind of a novel. Readable
Frank
Aug 24, 2016 Frank rated it liked it
Three stars in generous. It is a good story, but.....
A youth edition may be the problem (for me)
Tyler
Feb 18, 2008 Tyler rated it really liked it
I liked the story of this book it was a really fun book to read and i was stuck on it i didnt want to stop reading. The reason i like this book is because they talk about so many jewels.
John
Jul 14, 2007 John rated it liked it
I'd read this many years ago and enjoyed it. Now seems a bit dated and predictable.
Anička Tregler
Jun 15, 2014 Anička Tregler rated it it was ok
It was ok, good plot and all these things... For me, it was a little bit boring, but I'm glad I read it.
Emerson
Emerson rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Jim Wurth
Jim Wurth rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Thomas G TenBrink
Thomas G TenBrink rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
  • Ivanhoe (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer