Start by marking “Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century” as Want to Read:
Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century

Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  25 reviews
If you think sexual and spiritual bliss can't be found in today's fast-paced world, you haven't experienced Urban Tantra. With a juicy mix of erotic how-to and pleasure-centered spiritual wisdom, acclaimed sex educator Barbara Carrellas radically updates the ancient practice of Tantra for modern sexual explorers desiring to push past their edge in search of the great cosmi ...more
Published April 6th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published April 9th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Tantra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Tantra

Libby
Aug 22, 2007 Libby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a restricted background.
A much less new-agey instruction of basic tantra concepts which seeks not only to inform but to heal. I felt like a pervert buying this book, but it became my friend from the preface. If you have ever been abused or if you were raised in a restrictive/religious setting that you're trying to put behind you, this book could really help you feel better about sex. It shouldn't matter if you can 'agree' with all of it, I think almost anyone could benefit from a perusal.
Erika
This was pretty good. Not your regular run of the mill sex book. It contains practical exercises and information that you can practice without feeling uncomfortable or out of place.

I totally believe in the mind body connection when it comes to enjoying sex.
Paige Knorr
Interesting book. I appreciated its take on intimacy, and the act of sex as a healing act, and lots of the commentary on the deeper connection between two people, and about approaching sex as something beyond merely physical or mindless. Lots about sex+spirituality, energy work, chakras, and so on. Some interesting breathing and massage exercises, and plenty of examples and anecdotes from the author's experiences teaching sex workshops. Not so new-agey that it will turn skeptical people off, and ...more
Ines Garcia
Tantra is something truly special, non-technical, fantastical and spiritual. A must read whether you're going to engage in it Solo or with a Partner. They debunk myths about what tantra is and could be, so you can gain a better perspective into wisdom meaningful sex. A refreshing, slight mixture of both western and eastern philosophic work.
Greg
The best book I've read on the subject! Great ideas for special breathing techniques and an in-depth description of tantric sexual massage.
Dawn Serra
Barbara Carrellas is beautifully inclusive with her language, which makes this book something that will resonate with people of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, relationship dynamics, and sexual preferences.

Though the book has some definite woo woo (which I enjoy), the practical tips throughout the book are what make this a goldmine of wisdom.

Carrellas' approach to sex and tantra is wonderfully modern and flexible. Whether you're into the calm, gentle aspects of intimacy or intense, kink
Heather
This book, whose subtitle is "Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century," is refreshingly queer-friendly, kink-friendly, poly-friendly, and body-positive. I'm skeptical about some of the concepts Carrellas presents, but that didn't really keep me from enjoying the book. Take chakras: I can see the usefulness of them as metaphor/visualization technique, but I'm less convinced about things like blockages of energy in particular chakras as a literal thing—like, if you're feeling stuck, I can see that ...more
DK Green
Truly a work of art. Carrellas knows her subject like no other, her work within this field is legendary; having witnessed and worked alongside her several times over the years. Her history, her knowledge and her heart all shine through in her books, particularly if you have had the pleasure of attending any of her workshops. Well worth the read for anyone who considers themselves a sexual/spiritual explorer.
Rita
I really, really loved this book. I will keep it by my nightstand so that I can try the breathing methods and massage techniques. One thing that I really like about this book is how Barbara Carrellas gives examples of completely typical people with everyday problems using tantra to feel better and connect with each other. It's a brave book and not too esoteric.
Skip
Nice concise (but very superficial) introduction to a tantric approach to sex. Does not really explore the tantric belief system but does include some nice breathing methods and massage techniques that may help you improve your sex life.
Jim Parker
Some very useful information but I really consider very little of what is presented in the book as tantra. Very sex positive and such some fun sounding exercises as well as helpful hints for people interested in polyamory.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sex-toy party planners, Lovers of HBO Real Sex
Shelves: holistic-healing
Not the usual holistic healing variety, but definitely informative and sexy. Excellent descriptions of breathing exercises and ways to expand intimacy with yourself, others and energy.
Kelli Johnson
The book was easy to read and provided some great insight on how to add intimacy to your relationship as well as help it continually grow (no pun intended).

Ora McGuire
The last few chapters kind of got a bit too new agey, but still worth reading
Maryam
there's good stuff in here!
Bonnie
This book is less about sex and more about intimacy, which is why I loved it. It got a bit new agey at times and I didn't read in depth much about BDSM and group stuff but I did open my mind to the chakras and the meditations which gave my personal experiences more depth.
It gave me a new perspective on how to approach intimacy - with honesty and scary openness and being consciously THERE.
And, of course, learning about the enchantingly delicious Yab Yum alone earns it 5 stars for sure.
Morgane
It's a little woo woo at times, but ultimately this book is just about loving yourself and treating your body well. It's sex-positive and teaches you to simply be more aware of what's going on around you and inside you, not unlike yoga. There's also a section about ~Tantra for One~, so you don't even need a partner to enjoy this book.
NaomiRuth
Some people might be confused why I read this book. But it's actually pretty interesting and has some useful stuff. I liked how it focused more on the breathing and relationship aspects than on other things.

As someone who is mostly asexual I've been reading a couple of books about the topic so I can better understand it and how it relates to my life and other people's lives. (Like I read Bonk: The Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach, which was a fun read.)

I recommend it. It was a fun read
Janine
The first book I've read on Tantra, but the BEST introduction. Lots of self-exploration exercises - such as breathing, meditating... Great suggestions and stories. It focuses on the lifestyle of Tantra, not only the sexual component to it. This book is definitely a nightstand staple of mine and has peaked my interests in the subject.
Bence
Interesting new age writing on mindfulness, breathing techniques, chakras, and the sexual revolution that started in the late 20th century and is still going on.
Adam

Until someone writes a stripped down no nonsense punk book on tantra, this is the best one I've read on the subject so far. More about practices than beliefs.
Rikka
If you're into this sort of thing, it's pretty informative. I had a brief spate where I was curious, and now I'm not.
Angela
An excellent book about "modern" tantra. A fruitful merging of sexuality and spirituality.
Shakeira Holmes
A lot of information covered well!
Amber
Amazing read!
Kirill Novak
Kirill Novak marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Amanda Edwards
Amanda Edwards marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • The New Topping Book
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships
  • More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory
  • The Enlightened Sex Manual: Sexual Skills for the Superior Lover
  • Wild Side Sex: The Book of Kink: Educational, Sensual, and Entertaining Essays
  • Come Hither: A Commonsense Guide To Kinky Sex
  • Redefining Our Relationships: Guidelines for Responsible Open Relationships
  • The Leather Daddy and the Femme
  • The Threesome Handbook: Make the Most of Your Favorite Fantasy - the Ultimate Guide for Tri-Curious Singles and Couples
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
  • The Ultimate Guide to Cunnilingus: How to Go Down on a Woman and Give Her Exquisite Pleasure
  • Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex
  • Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out
  • Everything You Know About Sex is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to the Extremes of Human Sexuality (and Everything in Between)
Ecstasy is Necessary: A Practical Guide Urban Tantra Essentials: A Bedside Guide to Erotic Massage, Conscious Breath, and Sacred Sex Luxurious Loving The Pleasure Principle : Meeting Your Inner Lover

“The person in New York is more likely to want and need a harder touch in order to crack through the armor they have built up to protect their hearts and other soft tender parts.” 1 likes
“The truth is, men are not from Mars and women are not from Venus. We are all earthlings whose penises and vaginas came from exactly the same type of fetal tissue. This is why, in addition to penises and vaginas, we also have a wide spectrum of intersex genitals, which medical science is only now slowly coming to accept as 'normal.” 1 likes