Adorkable

Adorkable

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  2,766 ratings  ·  470 reviews
Welcome to the dorkside. It's going to be a bumpy ride...

Jeane Smith's a blogger, a dreamer, a dare-to-dreamer, a jumble sale queen, CEO of her own lifestyle brand and has half a million followers on twitter.

Michael Lee's a star of school, stage and playing field. A golden boy in a Jack Wills hoodie.

They have nothing in common but a pair of cheating exes. So why can't they...more
Published May 24th 2012 by Atom

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporaries
74th out of 279 books — 2,426 voters
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
58th out of 213 books — 1,280 voters

More lists with this book...

Reynje

I love this book in the same way I love shouty post-hardcore music of the late 80s, wearing jumpsuits of any kind, and the smell (and when I was little, probably the taste too) of Clag. Which is to say: unashamedly, unreservedly and somewhat incongruously with my usual predilections.

I generally like my contemporary YA on the messy, introspective side, with hefty doses of realism and minimal use of “teen speak”. So colour me surprised to find this book sort of adorable, despite the presence of a...more
Jo
Jun 10, 2012 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jo by: Maggie

So when I first heard about this book I was extremely excited. I mean, first up- that synopsis is golden. Why wouldn’t you want to read about a blogging superstar kissing a hot boy? There is no reason.
Anyway, when I pick up a book by an author I’ve never heard of, I like to do some research. Wait, before I carry on, I just have to say that there is no way this next bit isn’t going to sound creepy and stalkery. Whatever, I’ve committed now.
I like to do some research about what the author...more
Maggie
May 31, 2012 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tweeters and Twatters
J'adork. I know I was just THIS BOOK GETS ME-ing about Holier Than Thou but... this book gets me! Adorkable gets the online me -- the one who tweets and tumblrs and blogs and pins. If the last sentence makes no sense to you, this book may not be for you because one of the things I love about Adorkable is that it doesn't feel the need to explain all that. You either get it or you don't.

Jeane Smith gets it. She's a 17-year-old student and blogger who runs a mini online empire based on all things a...more
Jessie
Buddy read with Komal! :D See her review here.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars (I'm feeling generous!)

This is pretty much your average chick-lit, but instead of being set in the US, this book is set in England. I thought this book was pretty entertaining, but that's it. The characters were pretty awful, the plot was non-existent as I'd expected it to be, and the romance was meh. I still liked the book, though, just not much.

Let's talk about the characters.

Jeane is our main protagonist of Adorkable. She'...more
Belle
You may or may not have noticed I’ve been in a massive reading slump lately. Which has put me in a blogging slump. Or maybe I’m just in a general slump. Anyway, while I have read some great books, it’s been a long time since a book made my heart sing (would it be more or less cheesy if I said that was a One Direction reference?). But this book. THIS BOOK. It made my heart smile and sing and break out into a random dance number like an extra in Glee. It was just so much fun. I was totally swept a...more
♥Rachel♥
Feb 04, 2013 ♥Rachel♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: read along with Laura, Bethany, and Jasprit
Adorkable was witty and sweet romance, between two total social opposites. It’s always such fun reading about opposites clashing, and then falling for each other in spite of their differences.

Jeane Smith and Michael Lee couldn’t be further apart in their social spheres. She’s the queen of dork and bizarre, and he’s the popular king of normal. Jeane’s proud of her dorkdom and looks down on anyone mainstream. She’s a popular blogger with her own “life-brand,” Adorkable, with a huge online followi...more
Komal Mikaelson
More of a 2.5 stars.

Adorkable was 70% dorky boring and 30% adorable. I was really excited about this book and all about badgered Jessie to read it with me and you can check out her review here. I mean, have you read the blurb? 17 year old dorky teenager, blogger extraordinaire, " an innovator and a one-girl zeitgeist and the queen of the outliers" AND a hot guy? Sign me up!
The story revolves around Jeane's break up with her boyfriend, Barney, and her navigation along the lines of dorkiness and...more
Ariana
Aug 11, 2012 Ariana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ariana by: Jo
This book was such a (lovely) mess!

At first I had a hard time following where the story was headed. But somehow I got to love all the dorkiness, the craziness, the dizziness that the characters made me feel when they changed their mind every half-page. It was cute, it was refreshing, it was somehow original and near the ending it gave a few lessons that are worth knowing – some about ourselves, some about the world we are living in.

“Be yourself, everyone else is taken” – No, this is not a quote...more
Cara
So the 2 stars I decided to rate this book are because of two reasons:

1.) I felt compelled to finish the book and I am not a reader who forces themselves to finish the book for the sake of finishing. The writing was gripping enough to see me through to the end.

2.) I enjoyed the last fourth of the book and thought the premise of the story was interesting.

Unfortunately for me this is where most of the good things about this book ends.

Ok premise first. Jeane is a 17 year old internet sensation. Sh...more
Nafiza
Aug 24, 2012 Nafiza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This is my favourite of all the Manning books I have read so far. A YA contemporary rather than chick-lit, Adorkable deals with Jeane and Michael. Their lives collide when Jeane’s boyfriend and Michael’s girlfriend fall in love. (Incidentally, Manning seems to love these kinds of coincidences as this also happens in Nine Uses for an Ex-Boyfriend). What follows is an extremely loud, extremely British, rollercoaster ride.

Jeane isn’t anything that Michael Lee looks for in a girl and Michael isn’t s...more
Emily
I think I was in a cranky mood when I started this book, judging by my harsh status updates. Channeling my inner Jeane, I suppose. But then Sarra Manning won me over with her unique characters, witty prose and general awesomeness. Such a fun read! Makes me proud to be a dork :)
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
As soon as I heard that there was going to be a book called Adorkable, I jumped at the chance to read it! I mean really - a title that includes the word 'dork' just has to be good, doesn't it? The premise sounded pretty cool too - the story is about a self-proclaimed dork called Jeane and her ever-changing relationship with the 'cool' guy at school, Michael. I've not read anything else by Sarra Manning, so I wasn't sure what to expect but this one looked like a fun read.

Every review I've read fo...more
Keertana
Adorkable is the type of novel that will most definitely be read in the distant future, but not because of its writing quality or sheer brilliance, but because of how utterly modern it is. I can imagine children reading it in history classes, struggling to understand the concepts of Twitter, Facebook, and Website Blogging all while being caught up in Mike and Jeane's unforgettable story. While I expected a cute and quirky romance from this book, I was given an expose on modern technology, insigh...more
Ian
May 06, 2013 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of snappy, snarky YA fiction
Recommended to Ian by: Kay (CaliKay)
Jeane has always been the weird girl at school. Her hair is often the result of failed dye jobs, she wears second hand clothes, the previous owner of which may or may not have had an incontinence problem. She stands out and is proud of it, but she is shunned by her classmates.

That has never been a problem for her, she is a blogger who has a worldwide following and is in high demand on the conference circuit where she speaks about youth-culture.

Michael is her exact opposite, he is in the cool gr...more
Triss
Bože, to bolo úúúžasné, také úžasné. Fantastické a skvelé a ďalších tisíc superlatívov. Idem zistiť mail na Sarru Manning a vyznať jej nehynúcu lásku o pol 2 ráno.
Wendy Darling
Loved! Review to come.
Lulufrances
As much as the book focused a lot around the love-hate-relationship in it, I myself also had a love-hate-relationship with this book.
Or at least with the characters.
In the beginning I was very annoyed and honestly also disgusted by the behaviour of Jeane and Michael.
They are both so ridiculously full of themselves and treat each other like crap, I was so put off by that, let me tell you!!!
Also, the whole plot started out differently than what I'd expected after reading the synopsis.
I thought thi...more
papalbina
3.5

i've been totally uninspired for weeks, so don't be too hard on me if this review is not good at all v.v i will try to put some order in my thoughts:

what i like about adorkable

+ Jeane's personality: she's sassy, bold and speaks her mind no matter what. She accomplished at 17 what most of people won't accomplish ever. She makes of dorkiness a way of living and not only a lifestyle. Her background is very interesting... worth a psychologic paper...
+ Scarlett and Barney: it was funny to read h...more
Rosver
This novel is horrible. Its empty and very hard to read. The biggest fault is in its prose, which is so superfluous and jerky your mind goes all over the place. Added to these are overuse of very faddish icons, ads, songs, lingo, etc. give it a "short lived" feel. Also, the characters are very stereotypical albeit their triteness is hidden by cosmetic complexity. And hidden by its length and false depth, the plot is very basic. This book tells a very simple story but it got lost in all the bagga...more
Trinity
My mental casting of Jeanne except y'know way more brighter
K.
Okay, there isn't anything really original about this book -- not the characters, not the plot, not the themes or big ideas: dorky girl with hot jock, hipster hating, card-carrying feminist outcast using hardcore persona to mask vulnerable heart, the impassioned heated, honest-to-goodness desire to save the world (one dork fashion statement at a time).

So we've seen it before but it is refreshing. Adorkable is exactly what you'd expect from a book with such a cover, but Manning adds a bit of extr...more
Devyani
......”I look to the past to see what our future will be like . And in times of economic hardships and harsh governments , of pointless wars and mass unemployment , there was pop art and there was punk , there was hip hop and and graffiti , there was acid house and riot grrl . There was art and music that could bring you to your knees with their utter perfection . Because , when everything else is gone , All we’re left is with our imagination .

Adorkable by Sarra Manning grabbed my heart and pla...more
Anna
When I read a book on my Kindle, I tend to highlight bits that I love as well a bits that I don't love quite so much, like a lot of other readers do, I should imagine. Of course, most of the time I don't refer to them ever again because I one of those new-old Kindles - the ones with no keypad, but no touchscreen either, so the idea of trying to make notes about said highlights is not an inviting one, not unless I want to get cramp in my thumb from repeatedly hitting the arrow button. And without...more
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
See this review and more on The Moonlight Library!

Jeane Smith has half a million followers on Twitter, runs her own lifestyle brand based on being dorky, but lives on her own and has no real-life friends. Michael Lee is handsome, athletic, has good grades, and doesn’t see the point in being internet famous when you’re real-life popular. Two people at the opposite ends of the high school social spectrum are thrown together when their respective boyfriend/girlfriend stumble into a relationship. Th...more
Marie
It was a cool & funny read.
Made me laugh so damn much!
They were always bickering and arguing-jean and Mkchael. Both whim appear cocky and self-assured and refuse to let the other have the last word in an argument however when you get to know them you realise their lives are not perfect.
Jean has no really friends and half a million twitter followers whim follow and tweet her do not count.
Michael is pressured into becoming someone hid family want him to be, not himself.
I hated michaels fa...more
Anila
Oct 04, 2011 Anila marked it as to-read
This could go so horribly wrong, but it also could go wonderfully right.
FYI, geeky girl goes mainstream = wrong.
Mainstream guy learns to appreciate his inner geek = right.
Both characters realizing that they should get outside their comfort zones and give other people a chance = wonderfully right.

I'm definitely going to read it. The heroine sounds like the kind of person I would like, so I'm interested for her sake if nothing else.
Simona
Prakticky od prvej strany bol medzi mnou a Sarrinou knihou taký ten typický love-hate vzťah. Zo začiatku vôbec nefungoval a nedokázala som si predstaviť, kam by až mohol dôjsť, ale nakoniec to skončilo ako celkom príjemné posedenie. Klamala by som, ak by som tvrdila, že som po dočítaní nebola schopná nájsť slová a nerada klamem (vážne len v krajných situáciách, keď sa už z toho nedá vycúvať, ale to je mimo knihu).
Extravagantná Jeane bola úžasná hrdinka. V jednom kuse len hundrala, bola tvrdohla...more
Corrine Jackson
Jeane isn't just a dork. She's abrupt, sarcastic, and downright rude to most of her classmates and teachers. Michael, on the other hand, is nice to everyone. Except Jeane. These two do not mix and are pretty content to keep things that way. Then they begin to suspect that their significant others are carrying on right under their noses. That's when things get interesting.

Jeane and Michael discover pretty quickly that they have a strong physical attraction. I loved the scenes where they kept find...more
Tina
Original post at One More Page

So I got Adorkable based on impulse, and I got it because I was curious with Sarra Manning books. I haven't found copies of her adult contemporary romances just yet, so I settled for her YA book and one that seemed to be something I would like. Jeane Smith is a blogger and she basically runs her own life with her own brand of quirky style. This makes her quite unpopular, especially with her strong opinions on things, which puts her on the other end of the spectrum...more
Stephanie

This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

Having got myself into the odd twitter battle over annoying coinages such as “intrepreneur” and “staycation”, I have to say that a book with the title Adorkable didn’t quite endear itself to me right away. Indeed, I spent a good bit of time warily circling it lest it throw a series of other horrendous neologisms my way.

And, well, it certainly did, but the fact that said neologisms were hidden between myriad slang terms such...more
  • Love-shy
  • Preloved
  • Dead Romantic
  • Emma Hearts LA
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • Wildlife
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • The Look
  • Girl Defective
  • Cruel Summer
  • Black Heart Blue
Sarra Manning is a teen queen extraordinaire. She spent five years working on the now sadly defunct J17, first as a writer and then as Entertainment Editor. She then joined the launch team of teen fashion bible Ellegirl, which she later went on to edit and has consulted on a wide range of youth titles including Bliss, The Face and More.

Sarra is now editor of What To Wear magazine. She's also been...more
More about Sarra Manning...
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me Unsticky Guitar Girl French Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #1) Let's Get Lost

“The Ad♥rkable Manifesto

1. We have nothing to declare but our dorkiness.
2. Jumble sales are our shopping malls.
3. Better to make cookies than be a cookie-cutter.
4. Suffering doesn’t necessarily improve you but it does give you something to blog about.
5. Experiment with Photoshop, hair dye, nail polish and cupcake flavours but never drugs.
6. Don’t follow leaders, be one.
7. Necessity is the mother of customisation.
8. Puppies make everything better.
9. Quiet girls rarely make history.
10. Never shield your oddness, but wear your oddness like a shield.”
36 likes