Start by marking “Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But it is Now!” as Want to Read:
Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But it is Now!

Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But it is Now!

Real life medical drama is OK… but true stories of emergency medicine that make you laugh out loud are better!
Mike Cyra's comedic storytelling style of writing is hilarious. Experience what it's like to drive an Emergency Vehicle through traffic. Learn how not to deliver a baby; how to fake unconsciousness; fun ways to chop your fingers off and why controlling your imagina
Published March 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Emergency Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergency Laughter

Stiff by Mary RoachThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Medicine and Literature
472nd out of 1,151 books — 1,488 voters
Being Mortal by Atul GawandeComplications by Atul GawandeThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenBetter by Atul GawandeThe Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Best Books for Medical Students
55th out of 136 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 14, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
As an EMT or even anyone who works in emergency services I was not only able to picture each scene but relate to each story. This book was hilarious and absolutely the thing that was needed. I recommend this book to anyone who has ever been in the back of an ambulance.
Pearl Barley
May 09, 2012 Pearl Barley rated it really liked it
This new author has the ability to draw you into the scene as though you're really there. That's what made Emergency Laughter so very funny. Your imagination assists the reading in situations that have you absolutely creasing up with laughter. The 'strong language' didn't detract from the stories one bit and was in fact highly appropriate for the narrative and actually added to the humour factor.

I have not read anything quite so hilarious for a long time, and I applaud Mike Cyra for allowing us
Lynn Hallbrooks
Aug 13, 2012 Lynn Hallbrooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: now-on-my-kindle
This book is probably best read by people who are similar to me. I have worked in the Health Information Management field for over 30 years and have developed a morbid sense of humor. I have seen my share of things in real life. So I'd say this book was relatively mild in comparison.

The book itself is really well written. The author admits that some of his acts would be considered unprofessional and gives fair warning to the reader. He also pokes some major fun at his own behavior which makes t
One of the funniest books I have ever read. This book should come with a warning: Not to be read in public.
Jun 21, 2013 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Very funny book to look at the EMS side of things but may not be appropriate for non EMS workers because of the humor involved is not always what people think is funny but is funny to the EMS world.
Jul 08, 2012 Ida rated it liked it
Anyone who has ever driven an ambulance will appreciate this book. The first chapter about the cottage cheese had me screaming with laughter
Rob Hernandez
May 27, 2012 Rob Hernandez rated it it was amazing
I have worked in EMS for the past 6 years. Can totally relate to this book. Couldn't put it down.
Enid Otun
Aug 21, 2012 Enid Otun rated it really liked it
excellent and funny book, very much enjoyed
May 26, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Well written. Funny!
Mar 22, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Emergency Laughter is a slightly odd (and I suspect slightly exaggerated) collection of stories from the author's experience as an EMT. The tone swings between morbid humour, outright stupidity, and some glimpses of compassion.

I quite enjoyed it, but it's not nearly as well-written or as interesting as some other books in the same genre. Sensitive readers might also be a little offended or upset by parts of it, because the author doesn't hold back in some of his language and opinions.

If you want
Nov 29, 2015 LisaEllen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I found this to be really funny. I am not and never was in the medical field nor an EMT. However, my Dad was the President of the local EMS. Some of the stories that he and his friends told could definitely make it into this book. One story in particular sounded like something my dad and his partners would have done.
There was one (maybe two) story that I felt didn't belong. The story told from the 3rd party, Dumb and Dumber. Much funnier when the stories come straight from the experience of the
Pamela Skjolsvik
Laugh out loud funny!

Quick, fun, laugh out loud read about the crazy people and situations encountered on the job as an EMT. Highly recommended!
Donna Dice
Feb 07, 2015 Donna Dice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No better medicine than laughter!

This is one of the funniest books of medical humor that I have ever read. My husband is a retired physician and he read it in hysterics. I gave it 5 stars do to the funny context and it was an easy read. Loved it!!!
Dwayne Keller
Jun 16, 2013 Dwayne Keller rated it really liked it
My brother was a paramedic and I remember him telling similar type of stories. Sadly he was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago, so this brought back some good memories. I used to hang out at the paramedic station with him when he was on duty.
Nora Hamidi
Jul 16, 2015 Nora Hamidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When you work in the medical field you just have to laugh at the things that you face daily. It is great that someone wrote them down as nobody would believe you if you told them what you've been doing.
Carol Ann Salminen

Those of us in healthcare have morbid senses of humor. This book was a hoot!! If you can laugh at things that "normal" people would be shocked by, this book is for you!
Ashley Sabados
Jan 26, 2015 Ashley Sabados rated it it was amazing
What a hilarious book!! I was laughing out loud many many times. I love authors like this - no mental filter, say it how it is and be in the moment. Very authentic and plain hilarious.
Jun 22, 2013 Larry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-books
This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read! If you work in Emergency Services or are a First Responder this is a must read. If you want to laugh, this book is it! Hilarious!
Jun 19, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, humor, medical
I picked this up during my EMT training when I was having a less than desirable day. After reading a few stories in this book, my day turned right around!
Dec 22, 2012 Lorraine rated it really liked it
A good read even if in places I felt the situations had been over exaggerated but it still made me laugh. A nice easy and quick to read book.
Jul 21, 2011 Coral rated it really liked it
Listen/read my review here:
Toby Zidle
Funny Book!

This book ought to have been a quick read. It was!
The stories ought to have been funny. They were!
So why am I disappointed enough to rate it only 3 stars? Because it was written in so ultra-first-person style that, by the time I was deep into the book, I was getting annoyed and irritated. The tone gets monotonous.

Recommended for the younger crowd, but not for me. Also, parents, be aware of vulgar language that makes the book unsuitable for the really younger readers.
May 11, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
eh. It was funny. Short, believable.
Dec 04, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Call me crazy, but I kinda expected a book titled Emergency "laughter to be all funny stories. Some of them were, but a few left me thinking "how was that humorous? "
The grammar nazi's worst nightmare. There/their, than/then and breathe/breath! UGH! Funny but the errors really detract from the reading.
Sep 16, 2011 Kami marked it as to-read
Apparently a local Columbus EMT. Not sure I want to know how stupid my C-Bus people are.
Aug 18, 2011 Issa rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Not quite as funny as I expected but it was still okay.
Sarah added it
Oct 19, 2016
L D Mc Swiney
L D Mc Swiney rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Erin B
Erin B rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
  • My Funny Major Medical
  • Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories
  • More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
  • Trauma Junkie (Trauma Junkie, #1)
  • The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine
  • I Blame Stephen King
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon
  • In Stitches
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Pandora's Succession
  • First, Do No Harm
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
  • Bayou Myth
Author Mike Cyra spent twenty-years working in Emergency Medical Services and Surgery as an Emergency Medical Technician, a Chief Medical Officer on a ship sailing Alaska’s violent Bering Sea, a Surgical Technologist and an Instructor of Maritime Emergency Medicine and Basic Life Support.

Mike Cyra’s debut eBook-Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But It Is Now, is a collection o
More about Mike Cyra...