Start by marking “Emergency Laughter” as Want to Read:
Emergency Laughter

Emergency Laughter

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Real life medical drama is OK… but true stories of emergency medicine that make you laugh out loud are better!
Mike Cyra's comedic storytelling style of writing is hilarious. Experience what it's like to drive an Emergency Vehicle through traffic. Learn how not to deliver a baby; how to fake unconsciousness; fun ways to chop your fingers off and why controlling your imagina
ebook
Published March 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Emergency Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergency Laughter

Death Valley Scotty by Robert    CarterNonofficial Asset by William SewellCross Roads by C. MichaelsBill of Human Wrongs by C. MichaelsSheer Purgatory by Robert    Carter
You've Gotta Read This Book
411th out of 869 books — 527 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenComplications by Atul GawandeBetter by Atul GawandeThe Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne FadimanThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Best Books for Medical Students
31st out of 58 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
As an EMT or even anyone who works in emergency services I was not only able to picture each scene but relate to each story. This book was hilarious and absolutely the thing that was needed. I recommend this book to anyone who has ever been in the back of an ambulance.
C.M. Donaldson (aka Pearl Barley)
This new author has the ability to draw you into the scene as though you're really there. That's what made Emergency Laughter so very funny. Your imagination assists the reading in situations that have you absolutely creasing up with laughter. The 'strong language' didn't detract from the stories one bit and was in fact highly appropriate for the narrative and actually added to the humour factor.

I have not read anything quite so hilarious for a long time, and I applaud Mike Cyra for allowing us
Lynn Hallbrooks
This book is probably best read by people who are similar to me. I have worked in the Health Information Management field for over 30 years and have developed a morbid sense of humor. I have seen my share of things in real life. So I'd say this book was relatively mild in comparison.

The book itself is really well written. The author admits that some of his acts would be considered unprofessional and gives fair warning to the reader. He also pokes some major fun at his own behavior which makes t
Kelli
Very funny book to look at the EMS side of things but may not be appropriate for non EMS workers because of the humor involved is not always what people think is funny but is funny to the EMS world.
Rob Hernandez
I have worked in EMS for the past 6 years. Can totally relate to this book. Couldn't put it down.
Enid Otun
excellent and funny book, very much enjoyed
Amanda
Well written. Funny!
Peter
Emergency Laughter is a slightly odd (and I suspect slightly exaggerated) collection of stories from the author's experience as an EMT. The tone swings between morbid humour, outright stupidity, and some glimpses of compassion.

I quite enjoyed it, but it's not nearly as well-written or as interesting as some other books in the same genre. Sensitive readers might also be a little offended or upset by parts of it, because the author doesn't hold back in some of his language and opinions.

If you want
Dwayne Keller
My brother was a paramedic and I remember him telling similar type of stories. Sadly he was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago, so this brought back some good memories. I used to hang out at the paramedic station with him when he was on duty.
Larry
This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read! If you work in Emergency Services or are a First Responder this is a must read. If you want to laugh, this book is it! Hilarious!
Robin
I picked this up during my EMT training when I was having a less than desirable day. After reading a few stories in this book, my day turned right around!
Ida
Anyone who has ever driven an ambulance will appreciate this book. The first chapter about the cottage cheese had me screaming with laughter
Lorraine
A good read even if in places I felt the situations had been over exaggerated but it still made me laugh. A nice easy and quick to read book.
Toby Zidle
Funny Book!

This book ought to have been a quick read. It was!
The stories ought to have been funny. They were!
So why am I disappointed enough to rate it only 3 stars? Because it was written in so ultra-first-person style that, by the time I was deep into the book, I was getting annoyed and irritated. The tone gets monotonous.

Recommended for the younger crowd, but not for me. Also, parents, be aware of vulgar language that makes the book unsuitable for the really younger readers.
 Sara
eh. It was funny. Short, believable.
Rachel
Call me crazy, but I kinda expected a book titled Emergency "laughter to be all funny stories. Some of them were, but a few left me thinking "how was that humorous? "
Justine
The grammar nazi's worst nightmare. There/their, than/then and breathe/breath! UGH! Funny but the errors really detract from the reading.
Kami
Sep 16, 2011 Kami marked it as to-read
Apparently a local Columbus EMT. Not sure I want to know how stupid my C-Bus people are.
Issa
Not quite as funny as I expected but it was still okay.
Zahra Seraj
Zahra Seraj marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Joel Neild
Joel Neild marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Ilene Arth
Ilene Arth marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • It's Your Time You're Wasting: A Teacher's Tales Of Classroom Hell
  • Sawbones (Most Wanted)
  • Pandora's Succession
  • In Stitches
  • Confessions of a Surgeon: The Good, the Bad, and the Complicated...Life Behind the O.R. Doors
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
  • Bayou Myth
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • 33 Days: Touring In A Van.  Sleeping On Floors.  Chasing A Dream.
  • The Doctor Stories
  • Blood Crave (Blood on the Moon, #2)
  • Enslaved in Shadows (Shadow Unit, #1)
Author Mike Cyra spent twenty-years working in Emergency Medical Services and Surgery as an Emergency Medical Technician, a Chief Medical Officer on a ship sailing Alaska’s violent Bering Sea, a Surgical Technologist and an Instructor of Maritime Emergency Medicine and Basic Life Support.

Mike Cyra’s debut eBook-Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But It Is Now, is a collection o
More about Mike Cyra...