Start by marking “Miss Spider's New Car” as Want to Read:
Miss Spider's New Car

Miss Spider's New Car (Miss Spider)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Written in simple, lyrical verse and featuring more than fifteen dazzling paintings in revved-up colors, the latest offering from the author of "Miss Spider, Miss Spider's Tea Party", and "Miss Spider's Wedding" takes readers on a wild ride through the bug buggy marketplace, as Miss Spider and Haley go in search of their dream car. Full color.
Published October 1st 1997 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Miss Spider's New Car, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Spider's New Car

Brittaney Reed
Feb 21, 2014 Brittaney Reed rated it liked it
Kirk, D. (1997). Miss spider's new car. New York: Scholastic Press

"Miss Spider's New Car" by David Kirk is a very colorful , and delightful story of a spider who needs a faster way to get to tea with her mother. Miss Spider's friend suggest she get a car to get her there faster. She looks all around town at places like Bub Bumble's Buggies, and Mantis Motors. She can't seem to find the right one. Eventually , Miss Spider finds the perfect car. The illustrations in the story are wonderful, and th
Marcelaine
Dec 13, 2014 Marcelaine rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
The story was cute, but it was confusing. It's not clear from the beginning that Miss Spider is car shopping, and none of the "cars" in the illustrations actually looked like cars. I don't think my kids understood what was going on.
Laura Gibbs
Sep 29, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it liked it

This books has the best colors and pictures—it’s great for younger eyes! It starts out where miss spider needs a car to get to tea with her mom; she was going to ride the frogs or mice but there were problems with getting bit by riding them! A car is the next option, so they start going down their list of choices. She finds out, but her friend, Holley, warned her to keep looking. They then found another car that went 90 yards per hour, her Holley told her it was too fast. So they decided to kee
Andrea Wickenhagen
Dec 01, 2013 Andrea Wickenhagen rated it really liked it
Miss Spider gets and invitation from her mother to come and visit for tea. However she needs a faster way to get there so Holley suggest getting a car. She looks all around town at everything that can be offered. She looks at Bub Bumble's Buggies, Mantis Motors, Slick-Tail Speedsters and many more. Yet the first one felt just right, but after trying out all of the other cars in town it might be to late to get the one she really wants. This book if full of fun and eye catching illustrations. The ...more
Isabella Green
Dec 09, 2015 Isabella Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
With a cute story and even better illustrations, Miss Spider’s New Car is my definition of a good picture book. David Kirk combines these two elements into a story that any child will grow up loving. This lyrical book takes the audience through yard on a journey to the car dealership where Miss Spider and her friend Holley get to pick out the prettiest one they have.
Meg McGregor
Jan 06, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A very cute book about Miss Spider wanting to get a new car for her family.

The pictures are rich in detail and quite stunning.

My only problem with the book is that I wish there had been more text.

It was a little hard for the little ones to understand what was going on.

I had to fill in alot of the details for them.

But we all still enjoyed this book!

Rosa Cline
Mar 04, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Miss Spider and Holly go in search of a new car. They find the first one they enjoy the best but then decide to 'shop around'... only to find their original car was sold... Miss Spider is upset but in the end Holley makes things good. A sweet rhyming book with the illustrations will make a good on for a youngster.
Sierra
May 15, 2014 Sierra rated it liked it
My story time kids love Miss Spider but this book really didn't hold their attention, it could have been they were ready to be done reading.

-A Simple Taste for Reading
Nov 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I give this book a 3 simply because the feeling I get reading about used car salesmen. Otherwise, the illustrations are great & the writing quite clever in spots :)
Gillian
Mar 01, 2014 Gillian rated it it was amazing
I just found this book! It's one of the few books we have from when I was little (I think we only kept the ones in decent condition)
Karina Vegarra
Oct 16, 2012 Karina Vegarra rated it liked it
David Kirk yet again shows his playful and appealing story about Miss.Spider and her new car that makes a big scene in the community she lives in. Although Miss. Spider's character is looked at as an adult, children still can imagine receiving their first car, hopefully when they are sixteen years old. Kirk depicts an emotional time that children dream about because of how much they are looking into their future and deciding what they want to be like when they are older. Miss Spider can be a per ...more
Abigail Bechard
May 06, 2014 Abigail Bechard rated it liked it
The story is a little complex but will be fun to grow into.
Melanie
Miss Spider needs to get across the bog to visit her mother for tea. She suggests she find a frog to take her across. Her husband (?) Holley freaks out and decides they need to buy a car. As they begin car shopping Holley or Miss Spider find trouble with every car after the first one they look at, which they like. After many mishaps Miss Spider ends up with her new car.

The original Miss Spider's are much better than the tv rewrites.
Miri
Mar 14, 2014 Miri rated it liked it
Miss Spider is looking for a new car, one that's perfect for her. Bright and colorful illustrations are sure to capture the attention of small children.
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: retired, board-books
20 months - Picked this one up at Goodwill for $1 and I really need to send it back there. I could never get into this book. I can't even always make out what the images are depicting. I know there are other Miss Spider books that people just rave about but I just can't see the appeal based on this title.
Holly
Apr 06, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books-read
This is Wylee's FAVORITE right now! Keeps his attention the whole way through and he wants it read over and over. Definitely a winner for an almost 2 year old!
Lacey
Jan 31, 2008 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fun loving toddlers and mommies
Sammy just adores this book! He liked it the first time we read it and loved it everytime since (we read it every night before he goes to bed). He just loves the fun sounds and the rythm of phrases. Very cute pictures too.
Frank
Oct 24, 2008 Frank rated it liked it
Frank thought this was okay, but didn't request it a whole lot. I found the illustrations to be a little confusing and unclear.
Bridget
David Kirk's illustrations are amazing! This story was weaker than some of the others.

This is on the hardcover shelf.
Peacegal
Jun 04, 2013 Peacegal rated it really liked it
The Miss Spider books are so much fun. Imagine an old cartoon from the silent era repainted in garish, psychedelic colors.
Shelly Lindsey
Book could be used for fun punctuation lesson. Gives perfect vocabulary building with rhyming through the bug world.
Seth Holler
Apr 10, 2013 Seth Holler rated it really liked it
Wonderful colors, world, and characters, workaday rhymes, and an unsettling, obscure subplot!
Theresa
Feb 24, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
"a short funny story about the adventures in the bug world
"
a cute early reader
Lea
Jan 08, 2014 Lea rated it liked it
This is another of the Miss Spider books that my son enjoyed more than I did.
Greta
Mar 15, 2008 Greta rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
The illustrations are pretty fun, but the story line was weak.
Tricia
Jun 25, 2008 Tricia rated it did not like it
not a fan of the series. book made no sense.
Grace
Mar 30, 2009 Grace added it
Good. It is so entertaining..... JK
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Gail
May 22, 2012 Katie added it
Shelves: ar-2-0-2-9
AR BL: 2.9
Points 0.5
Goodreads Librari...: Need to split "reader" adaptation 3 159 Aug 04, 2012 01:38PM
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem
  • Little Beaver and the Echo
  • I Spy Little Animals
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • Zack's Alligator
  • Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants
  • Would I Ever Lie to You?
  • Bugs Galore
  • Dem Bones
  • I See a Song
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • Rainbow Fish to the Rescue!
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Driving Buddies (Step into Reading)
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
David Kirk is the creator of children's books that follow the character Miss Spider. Before writing books, he made colorful toys that were sold in hand-painted boxes. He was urged to write children's books when his toys caught the interest of a book packager. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he would use as characters in his stories: his daughter, Violet, had a liking for bugs.
More about David Kirk...

Miss Spider (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • Little Miss Spider
  • Miss Spider's Wedding
  • Miss Spider's ABC
  • Little Miss Spider at Sunny Patch School (Little Miss Spider)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party: The Counting Book