Start by marking “Miss Spider's ABC” as Want to Read:
Miss Spider's ABC

Miss Spider's ABC (Miss Spider)

She gave a tea party. She got married. Then she bought a new car. Now Miss Spider prepares for her birthday party in a story that takes readers through each letter of the alphabet. Featuring his trademark brilliantly colored illustrations, David Kirk takes fans on a new round of Miss Spider magic!
Published October 1st 1998 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Miss Spider's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Spider's ABC

Colleen McCormack
Oct 21, 2016 Colleen McCormack rated it liked it
A really colorful and resourceful book! This would be great to use for kids just learning their ABC's. The pictures and the story really capture their attention, while also teaching them something!
Chloe Harding
Title: Miss Spider’s ABC
Illustrator: David Kirk
Genre: Alphabet Book
Theme(s): Alphabet, Bugs.
Opening line/sentence: “Ants await”

Brief Book Summary:
As Miss Spider prepares for her birthday party, each letter of the alphabet is presented to the reader. For each letter, there is a different bug doing an action that begins with that corresponding letter of the alphabet.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Jan Lieberman (Children's Literature)
Miss Spider's ABC has just been publ
Molly Maloney
Feb 15, 2016 Molly Maloney rated it it was amazing
Title: Miss Spider's ABC
Genre: Children's literachure, ABC
Theme(s): ABC, insects
Opening line/sentence: “A. Ants await.”
Brief Book Summary: The book goes through each letter of the alphabet. Corresponding each letter with a bug or flower, who awaits Miss. Spider’s arrival for a surprise birthday party.Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Cheryl Preston (Children’s Literature)
Miss Spider's "buggy" friends are preparing for her surprise birthday party, and each page features
Shelly
Jan 01, 2017 Shelly rated it really liked it
A nice alphabet teaching book. The illustrations are good, the writing is simple, and it's short enough to hold little attention spans. My son loves bugs, so that's a bonus.
Lucy
Oct 11, 2015 Lucy added it
Title: Miss Spider’s ABC
Illustrator: David Kirk
Genre: Alphabet Book
Theme(s): Alphabet, Insects
Opening line/sentence: Ants await.
Brief Book Summary: The book goes through each letter of the alphabet. For each letter, there is a designated insect doing an action with the start of the corresponding letter of the alphabet.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:Booklist Monthly Selections - #1 December 1998
Ages 4^-8. That popular, iridescent arachnid, Miss Spider, is back for her f
Jesse McMorris
Dec 06, 2015 Jesse McMorris rated it really liked it
Miss spiders ABC is a story written by David Kirk. For each letter of the alphabelt she has a different insect. Which is a lot of insects that I didn’t even know about. This book would be not good but okay for helping children out with the alphabet because, a lot of the insect names are kind of over the top and wouldn’t really work with someone just learning the alphabet, but it also wouldn’t work with someone who only knows the basics of reading. If you want kids to get a better understanding o ...more
Ashley Hilton
This is a beautifully illustrated children's alphabet book. There are many reasons why I think this is a great book for children. First of all the characters in this book are also in a cartoon. When kids see characters from their favorite cartoons they tend to get excited, so this is a wonderful way to get children excited about reading. The bright colors will draw kids to pick this book up. Maybe next time the child gets a chance to watch T.V. they will just stop and think that they might rathe ...more
Monae
Nov 23, 2016 Monae rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Awards: n/a
Grade: K-1
Summary: David Kirk does it again with another Miss. Spider adventure. This story is about her friend's preparing for a birthday party for Miss. Spider. The author goes reveals each of Miss. Spider's friends through all twenty-six letters of the alphabet. Everyone is excited and waiting for the arrival of Miss. Spider these beautiful illustrations that children would sure love.
Review: I am all about visual aides to help reinforce what you are trying to say and these illustra
Douglas Jankowski
Mar 16, 2015 Douglas Jankowski rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book for children. To start off, the pictures on every page were awesome and vibrantly filled with color. The art work, I think, was the saving grace of this book. Some of the words they used for the insects in the book, were to me, a little advanced for a child's understanding. That would have to be the only criticism that I have for the book. Other than that, this books goes off a very good imagination for a child, and they are able to enjoy everything they see and ...more
Ashley Stone
This book is about insects and flowers anxiously waiting for the arrival of Miss Spider for her surprise birthday party. Every page is filled with colorful pictures that are named with an alphabet letter. I cannot express how amazing the pictures in this book are. They are so vivid and expressive and I have never seen colors as bold as these. I think the illustrator did a great job. This book works out well for preschoolers because they’ll be learning their alphabet in school and this goes along ...more
Audrey
Sep 09, 2014 Audrey added it
Miss Spiders ABC was extremely helpful with the alphabet but also learning more about insects. Kids can keep listening and learn about bug life with each letter they can discover a beautiful butterfly of praying mantas that is titled with it. The beautiful images that are drawn to describe the insects and emphasize the beginning of the letters are very helpful and simple to understand. The book is a story and can be fun with your imagination of all the bugs that are beautiful around you and next ...more
Kaytlyn Witcher
This is another alphabet book that would be good for younger elementary school kids. It would help them learn their ABC’s and associate words that start with the letters of the alphabet. This book is about Miss. Spider and her other insect friends. Each letter has a sentence and within the sentence each word starts with the letter that is being talked about.

Activity: I would use this book to start talking about insects to students. Once my students have a grasp on the alphabet then I will start
Paige Voecks
Sep 06, 2012 Paige Voecks rated it really liked it
This book is one of my favorite childrens ABC books made. All of Miss Spiders friends are throwing her a surprise birthday party, each page shows a letter of the alphabet and then shows an animal or insect whose name starts with that letter of the alphabet that will be invited to Miss Spiders surprise party. I really enjoy this book for students and young children because not only is it teaching them the order the letters go in the alphabet but it is showing them an animal or insect that they ca ...more
Millie Simonds
Oct 09, 2015 Millie Simonds rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-books
This book was a good ABC book especially if your class has enjoyed hearing the other Miss Spider books. I thought it was one of the better ABC books I have read because it actually tells a story with the creatures that it introduces with each letter. At the end of the story it tells that each of the insects are throwing Miss Spider a surprise birthday party. I would read this to my class that is learning letters and have them pick a letter of the alphabet and color and spell the insect represent ...more
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it really liked it
Tayari Walker
Nov 26, 2015 Tayari Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-books
In Miss Spider's ABC, all of the insects and little critters are getting ready for Miss Spider's birthday. Each letter in the alphabet is associated with something that the bugs are doing to get ready for the surprise birthday party. At the end of the book, all the insects and creatures hide and surprise Miss Spider who is very surprised. This book is a very good book for ABC's because it gives words that start with the letter that is being talked about on each page.
Betsy McElhannon
Oct 18, 2015 Betsy McElhannon rated it it was ok
1. Miss Spider's ABC by David Kirk
2. Awards: none for this book
3. Genre: ABC Book
4. Setting: Following the Alphabet a new bug is presented
5. Students could read this book to help them learn new words that being with the letter being presented. For an ABC book, it has complex words associated with the letter. This could build their academic language, and they could practice sounding out words. This book could be read individually or in buddy reading time.
Melissa Urban
Jul 21, 2012 Melissa Urban rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-picture-book
Themes: Alphabet, Birthdays, Getting ready, Insects

An alphabet of bugs in the garden get ready for Miss Spider’s surprise birthday party.

Ideas for use: Can be used with young children to introduce the letters of the alphabet, this story could be used as an introduction to a unit on insects, Students could use the book as a model text to write their own ABC story with animals or a specific theme
Kelsie
Nov 20, 2014 Kelsie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great way to learn the ABC's while learning about different kinds of bugs. What makes this book even more fun for young kids is that it is based off of a TV show, and soo if they know the TV show they will recognize the characters and love the relationship between this book and the show that they know. The pictures were great, and even though it went through the ABC's, it told a great story.
Shante' Polite
Title: Miss Spider's ABC
Publisher and Date: Scholastic Press, 2000

Miss Spider’s ABCs uses colorful bug scenes to teach children their alphabet. It takes children through her preparations for her upcoming birthday party. In this book you can see beautiful illustrations that show a sentence that goes with each letter.

Activity: I would use this book to teach students different letters and to inform them of the different types of bugs seen in the book.
Megan Dorcas
Sep 21, 2014 Megan Dorcas rated it really liked it
I chose this book because it looked like a really fun way for kids to learn about the abc's. I really like this book because not only does it introduce each letter if the alphabet, but it also teaches about different bugs. It includes bugs like bees, and spiders, but it also includes more rare bugs that most adults have not even heard of!
Courtney Williams
Miss Spider’s ABCs uses colorful bug scenes to teach children
the alphabet. It takes children through her preparations for her upcoming birthday party. In this book you can see beautiful illustrations that show a sentence that goes with each letter. I would use this book to teach students different letters and to inform them of the different types of bugs seen in the book.
Morgan Thompson
Oct 03, 2015 Morgan Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-books
This is the ever so classic Miss Spider's version of an ABC book. This would appeal to the female readers of a class of youngsters because it's Miss Spider and because of the pretty, feminine colors in the book. I would have this book on my bookshelf in my classroom for my students to take and read as they please.
Kaitlyn Tankersley
Miss Spider’s ABCs uses colorful bug scenes to teach children
Nov 04, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Besides the fact that the pictures are vivid, large and beautiful, this is a great book for associating letters with words. The words used are also combined with descriptions that are great for vocabulary building. The book is told all through differnt bugs going through the alphabet, and the bugs are not scary and creepy, but pretty and soft.
Katey
May 27, 2008 Katey rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
CIP/Summary: Miss Spider prepares for her birthday party in a story that takes readers through each letter of the alphabet.

David Kirk's story and illustrations are a fun take on the ABCs of party planning. Kirk's rich illustrations draw the reader in and show a lovlely and gentle side of insects ready to celebrate.

Favorably reiewed in SLJ and Booklist.
Alli Eidson
Nov 24, 2015 Alli Eidson added it
Shelves: abc-books
Miss Spider throws her birthday party while she describes each letter of the alphabet. I would use this book in my pre-k or kindergarten class to help them learn their individual letters and the alphabet as a whole.
Emily Kenyon
Sep 29, 2015 Emily Kenyon rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-books
Great pictures and a lot of characters to help the reader stay interested. Follows the story line of planning a party so in class I would have my students make a list of what things they could remember from the book that were needed for the party.
Brandin
Oct 03, 2008 Brandin rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture book/ABC

Topic/Theme: Alphabet

Grade Level: K-1

Classroom Use: Read aloud, independent reading

Comments: Good ABC book with great illustrations that catch readers eye.
Susan
Jan 04, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: miss spider fans, glowing art, fun abcs
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I love the neon gloriousness of Miss Spider's world. If only real bugs were this much fun. And I mean, come on, how can you not love O is for "owlflies ogle" and E is for "earthworms entertain" (of course they do). At the end, a party for the delightful Miss Spider. 'Nuff said.
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Mommy Hugs
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • Alphabatics
  • Cat's Colors
David Kirk is the creator of children's books that follow the character Miss Spider. Before writing books, he made colorful toys that were sold in hand-painted boxes. He was urged to write children's books when his toys caught the interest of a book packager. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he would use as characters in his stories: his daughter, Violet, had a liking for bugs.
More about David Kirk...

Miss Spider (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • Little Miss Spider
  • Miss Spider's Wedding
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • Little Miss Spider at Sunny Patch School (Little Miss Spider)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party: The Counting Book