Start by marking “Mission Compromised: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Mission Compromised: A Novel

Mission Compromised: A Novel (Peter Newman #1)

The first of a three-novel series, Mission Compromised introduces Major Peter J. Newman, a U.S. marine assigned to fill a top-secret White House National Security Council staff position. In these novels, Newman discovers secrets such as how covert missions are being compromised, why high-ranking FBI and CIA spies rarely go on trial, and why the United Nations has a militar ...more
Published December 15th 2010 by B&H Publishing Group (first published September 28th 2002)

Ed
Apr 18, 2016 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good thriller an exciting Christian fiction. Throughout the story is a number of Christian examples of God's attributes and God's people come to help in time of need. North shows that God is willing to save people and to help them, no matter what language they speak. It displays what I have already known, by being in foreign countries, God has His will being done. No matter where you go, you will find a Christian presence.
Christine
Dec 20, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like that Oliver North's books are "real". Since I'm a military wife and I love the military, I really enjoy reading this series. The part I love best about this book (and the series) is that Col. North not only makes it a suspenseful military action story, but a great Christian read that focuses on faith and the power of prayer, even when faced with the hard decision of serving our country by killing those who would do us harm. It's not often that you can find good books with a good Ch ...more
Missie
Feb 06, 2014 Missie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This could have been so much better. Fewer sermons and more editing could have added two more stars.
Donald
Mar 25, 2017 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, oliver-north
'Mission Compromised' exceeded my expectations. I thought I'd run-into military jargon for weapons, equipment and military tactical strategies. Was I in for a most-pleasant surprise! I think of the Iran-Contra War when Oliver North's name comes-up, where, if I'm close to what actually occurred, the US backed-off from aiding the resistance forces fighting the communist regime, and paid dearly, and he ended-up being the 'fall guy' before Congress, eventually 'resigning' from service. This is a sim ...more
Oceana2602
Only about 80 pages in, and I already fear this is going to keep me up tonight...

ETA:
I was wrong, this didn't keep me up all night.

North attempts to write a military thriller, covered missions, secret agents, conspiracies...the good stuff, really. And he starts out quite promising, too.

I was aware of the controversies involving North, and that he uses this story, albeit fictional, as a means to clear his name, or at least to tell his side of the story. Other than the fact that his including hims
Sean Randall
May 10, 2012 Sean Randall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sean by: moni
I think the best way to describe this read as a lesson in judgment. I came away from the body of the work on something of a high horse, as North managed to wet my irritation circuit for his apparent sexism toward Robinette, his seemingly pointless insertion of himself as a minor character in the story and the underpinning reliance on religion as a saving grace, without which characters are inevitably lost and or miserable.

And yet the epilogue proved that the second of those irritations was not o
Jerome
May 25, 2012 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ollie North has written a tremendous book, packed with excitement, human interest, a detailed knowledge of the way things work at "the top," and a deep Christian faith. He and Joe Musser combine these elements into a thriller that keeps you up at night. Moreover, the characters are believable and they grow and develop throughout the book, which is pretty unusual in thrillers of this genre. Mission Compromised is an eerie blend of fact and fiction, leaving the reader unsure which is which.

Actual
Carey Green
Jan 17, 2014 Carey Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because of who wrote it. Honestly. I wanted to see if the book showed any of the "inside scoop" stuff about how the government and military really work. I was not disappointed about that. The book is filled with fictional accounts (and a very interesting cameo by the author) about the ins, outs, and deceptions that go on daily in government circles.

BUT (you knew there was a but here, didn't you). The book was a bit lacking in terms of writing skill, which surprised me because having
Jim McCulloch
Jan 17, 2013 Jim McCulloch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very well done. The details and relationships are many, complex, and seldom what they seem. I suspect it is a very accurate view of what it’s like for a conservative career military officer to work in a liberal-tilting, anti-military White House. The “office politics” are ugly, disgusting, and reek of dishonor; hardly a place for a robust, dedicated, and loyal officer to serve . . . or perhaps a place in great need of such an officer. I found the insertion of Christianity surprising and ...more
Dianeparente62gmail.com
Marilyn
Oct 18, 2009 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly wonderful book. Surprising mostly because I just got it because Oliver North "wrote" it. Well...he's got lots of military experience...and now I'd like to read an autobiography. I wasn't much into politics when his big fall came about, but I'd venture to say that he truly was the "fall guy," in something nasty.

This was an outstanding "mission compromised" story. A real page turner. The NY Times says "a Tom Clancy-esque tale...[North:] mixes a few uncomfortable facts in wi
Chuck
Apr 19, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good novel about a Marine Lt. Colonel assigned to the National
Security Advisor's office at the White House during Slick Willie's
administration. Involves the development of multi national
anti terrorist/assassination force whose mission is to blow up one of
Sadam Hussein's palaces in Iraq. It is apparent that Ollie and/or Joe
Musser is a practicing, born again Christian as this is the only novel
that I have ever read that includes the plan of Salvation and the
conversion of it's characters. Re
Judy
Sep 08, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always wonder how much of this Oliver North story about a dangerous clandestine military operation is based on reality. The plot maintained my attention in all but one section of the book. Reading this book on 9/11 anniversary certainly piqued my interest and imagination even more.

The Christian storyline is not currently 'PC' but it reflects some military families' experiences in my area near Fort Bragg. What if both Islam and Christianity had Brotherhoods who consistently did good deeds inco
Kevin Bowser
Jan 19, 2016 Kevin Bowser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book via eReaderIQ. I had heard the Oliver North had written a few novels and I decided to give one of them a try. I was very pleased with that decision.

It starts out as a pure military thriller. It is not as tense as some. But it is sufficiently exciting to keep you involved. However, it does make a perceptible turn around the midpoint and become a bit of a novel with an evangelical message. I am ok with that. I was just not expecting it. North handles that transition well and the m
Debbie
Feb 08, 2017 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a gripping book that kept me up past my bedtime several times!!! Can't wait to start The Jericho Sanction!
John
Feb 09, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, this book had me captivated from the beginning. I've seen Ollie's books for a while and was skeptical about picking them up, I guess because I've been spoiled by the likes of Don Brown, and Dee Henderson. Being a Christian and veteran I love reading military Christian fiction. The characters were well developed, and the story line could have been taken from the news headlines today. I think that is why the book draws you in and is hard to put down.
Butch
May 08, 2015 Butch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed when he stuck to the story line. Way too much "preaching" about the Christian faith which had nothing to do with the story and that was distracting. If you want to write a book about faith and preach to the reader you should identify the book as such. For the record, I am not anti-religion. But I read for entertainment and do not want to be preached at while doing so. North owes it to readers to let them know his books are full of this sort of preaching.
Maryclaire Zampogna
A very long,interesting and educational book of the middle east and Russia. Oliver North takes you from DC.and Virginia and sets you in the middle east with your mission compromised. You are then out on your own to escape the area and everyone wants you dead. In a very discriptive way you learn all the secret ways of covert missions and other country involvement. You experience that nothing is as it appears.
Lauren
May 01, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Dad
Shelves: novels, fiction, 2008
An incredibly interesting read. I appreciated that there was a lot less cussing than in Clancy books.
Peter Newman has been given an assignment: kill terrorists. Simple, right? Or not. His mission is busted, and now he must find a way out of hostile territory by himself. What else could go wrong? His communications have been compromised, and people want to shut him up- or make sure he never returns.
Yvette
Jul 28, 2009 Yvette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just randomly pulled this book off of the bookshelf in the library. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. There is plenty of intrigue. I do not know a lot about Oliver North's experiences in the Iran-Contra affair, but with what I do know I wondered if a lot of the happenings in the book were not real experiences of his. I loved the fact that the main characters were Christian believers and had high moral values.
Russ
Oct 06, 2012 Russ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite some religious themes, and the fact this book helped some people legitimize the war in Iraq--and its terrible execution--I still managed to be entertained. For example, Oliver North pimped the idea of Iraq having WMD and Saddam Hussein as the United States greatest enemy, despite intelligence analysis and years of Iran being the leading state sponsor of terrorism demonstrating otherwise.
Janet Powers
Jun 28, 2014 Janet Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent to the very very end

I am surprised and so happy with the tone of this spy novel. It's very wonderful to believe that so many good Christian's reach out to others all over the world.
Cathy Fitzgerald
I truly LOVED this book... on so many levels! A truly EXCELLENT book! My only question is: just how much "fiction" is this book really?!?! Being a Christian AND from a family full of Marines, I get the distinct impression: not much!
Michael
Mar 05, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-pop
Moderately enjoyable thriller. I got my copy autographed by Ollie at our local Costco. My favorite part of the book was the way the author wrote himself into the book as a heroic character - not, as other authors do, under an assumed name, but under his own name!
Paul
Jul 14, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. It is great to read a great thriller/espionage book with a Christian base and not all the swearing and sex and other stuff. Mr. North wrote a great three book series, "Mission Compromised", "Jericho Sanction", and "The Assassins" and I enjoyed reading them all.
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than I ever expected. It was suspenseful, especially in the last hundred pages, and had a great plot. It is without explicit sex or foul language, which certainly appeals to me. One rather unusual features is the author as a minor character in the book.
Jean Fuller
Jul 02, 2015 Jean Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oliver North and Peter Newman

Very enlightening. I have been a fan of Oliver North for many years and even made a sign which was posted in my front yard on a busy highway which read: OLIVER.NORTH FOR PRESIDENT. Glad to know that Rachel and Peter are together and safe.
Jeri
Feb 21, 2011 Jeri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-suspense
USMC Major Newman believes he's assigned along with key troops to do a search and destroy on the likes of Osama bin Laden and Sadaam Hussein. Greed of others in high places gets in the way and the mission is compromised.
Thomas E. Walker
Intrigue, Heart wrenching, Superb...

The author wrote with knowledge of all the background and contingencies in such a manner as would captivate a reader of intrigue novels. In addition, for me the inclusion Christian circumstance enhanced the reading.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 23, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Major Peter J. Newman, USMC, is assigned to the White House Security Council. Sent on a mission to eliminate Islamic terrorist, the mission becomes compromised and everyone but Newman is killed. Newman is rescued by a Christian family and must try to escape from Arab territory.
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • The Trident Deception (Trident Deception #1)
  • The Hill
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
  • Detachment Bravo (Rogue Warrior, #9)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • The Reckoning

Peter Newman (4 books)
  • The Jericho Sanction (Peter Newman, #2)
  • The Assassins (Peter Newman, #3)
  • Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4)