Start by marking “Mission Compromised: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Mission Compromised: A Novel

Mission Compromised: A Novel (Peter Newman #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The first of a three-novel series, Mission Compromised introduces Major Peter J. Newman, a U.S. marine assigned to fill a top-secret White House National Security Council staff position. In these novels, Newman discovers secrets such as how covert missions are being compromised, why high-ranking FBI and CIA spies rarely go on trial, and why the United Nations has a militar ...more
Published December 15th 2010 by B&H Publishing Group (first published September 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Compromised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Compromised

Carey Green
I read this because of who wrote it. Honestly. I wanted to see if the book showed any of the "inside scoop" stuff about how the government and military really work. I was not disappointed about that. The book is filled with fictional accounts (and a very interesting cameo by the author) about the ins, outs, and deceptions that go on daily in government circles.

BUT (you knew there was a but here, didn't you). The book was a bit lacking in terms of writing skill, which surprised me because having
Christine
I really like that Oliver North's books are "real". Since I'm a military wife and I love the military, I really enjoy reading this series. The part I love best about this book (and the series) is that Col. North not only makes it a suspenseful military action story, but a great Christian read that focuses on faith and the power of prayer, even when faced with the hard decision of serving our country by killing those who would do us harm. It's not often that you can find good books with a good Ch ...more
Chuck
Very good novel about a Marine Lt. Colonel assigned to the National
Security Advisor's office at the White House during Slick Willie's
administration. Involves the development of multi national
anti terrorist/assassination force whose mission is to blow up one of
Sadam Hussein's palaces in Iraq. It is apparent that Ollie and/or Joe
Musser is a practicing, born again Christian as this is the only novel
that I have ever read that includes the plan of Salvation and the
conversion of it's characters. Re
Fredrick Danysh
Major Peter J. Newman, USMC, is assigned to the White House Security Council. Sent on a mission to eliminate Islamic terrorist, the mission becomes compromised and everyone but Newman is killed. Newman is rescued by a Christian family and must try to escape from Arab territory.
Jodie
This book is fantastic !! It was the first political thriller I ever read. Some of the military jargon was confusing, but the whole book was well-written.
Sean Randall
May 10, 2012 Sean Randall rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sean by: moni
I think the best way to describe this read as a lesson in judgment. I came away from the body of the work on something of a high horse, as North managed to wet my irritation circuit for his apparent sexism toward Robinette, his seemingly pointless insertion of himself as a minor character in the story and the underpinning reliance on religion as a saving grace, without which characters are inevitably lost and or miserable.

And yet the epilogue proved that the second of those irritations was not o
Jerome
Ollie North has written a tremendous book, packed with excitement, human interest, a detailed knowledge of the way things work at "the top," and a deep Christian faith. He and Joe Musser combine these elements into a thriller that keeps you up at night. Moreover, the characters are believable and they grow and develop throughout the book, which is pretty unusual in thrillers of this genre. Mission Compromised is an eerie blend of fact and fiction, leaving the reader unsure which is which.

Actual
Jim McCulloch
This is very well done. The details and relationships are many, complex, and seldom what they seem. I suspect it is a very accurate view of what it’s like for a conservative career military officer to work in a liberal-tilting, anti-military White House. The “office politics” are ugly, disgusting, and reek of dishonor; hardly a place for a robust, dedicated, and loyal officer to serve . . . or perhaps a place in great need of such an officer. I found the insertion of Christianity surprising and ...more
Oceana2602
Only about 80 pages in, and I already fear this is going to keep me up tonight...

ETA:
I was wrong, this didn't keep me up all night.

North attempts to write a military thriller, covered missions, secret agents, conspiracies...the good stuff, really. And he starts out quite promising, too.

I was aware of the controversies involving North, and that he uses this story, albeit fictional, as a means to clear his name, or at least to tell his side of the story. Other than the fact that his including hims
Cathy Fitzgerald
I truly LOVED this book... on so many levels! A truly EXCELLENT book! My only question is: just how much "fiction" is this book really?!?! Being a Christian AND from a family full of Marines, I get the distinct impression: not much!
Judy Knight
I always wonder how much of this Oliver North story about a dangerous clandestine military operation is based on reality. The plot maintained my attention in all but one section of the book. Reading this book on 9/11 anniversary certainly piqued my interest and imagination even more.

The Christian storyline is not currently 'PC' but it reflects some military families' experiences in my area near Fort Bragg. What if both Islam and Christianity had Brotherhoods who consistently did good deeds inco
Peter Charleston
This novel provides a lot of adventure although a little repetitive at points. I found it to be an enjoyable reading experience.
John From
Great book! When finished, and after reading the Epilogue, you have to wonder just how much may have been true.
Marilyn
This was a surprisingly wonderful book. Surprising mostly because I just got it because Oliver North "wrote" it. Well...he's got lots of military experience...and now I'd like to read an autobiography. I wasn't much into politics when his big fall came about, but I'd venture to say that he truly was the "fall guy," in something nasty.

This was an outstanding "mission compromised" story. A real page turner. The NY Times says "a Tom Clancy-esque tale...[North:] mixes a few uncomfortable facts in wi
Timothy
Missie
This could have been so much better. Fewer sermons and more editing could have added two more stars.
Linda Muranko
Loved it!

Chose this book because of who the author is. I was not disappointed. I am looking forward to reading more from Oliver North.
Kimberlee Bergeron
This is first book of Oliver north trilogy.
Janet Powers
Excellent to the very very end

I am surprised and so happy with the tone of this spy novel. It's very wonderful to believe that so many good Christian's reach out to others all over the world.
Yvette
I just randomly pulled this book off of the bookshelf in the library. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. There is plenty of intrigue. I do not know a lot about Oliver North's experiences in the Iran-Contra affair, but with what I do know I wondered if a lot of the happenings in the book were not real experiences of his. I loved the fact that the main characters were Christian believers and had high moral values.
Maryclaire Zampogna
A very long,interesting and educational book of the middle east and Russia. Oliver North takes you from DC.and Virginia and sets you in the middle east with your mission compromised. You are then out on your own to escape the area and everyone wants you dead. In a very discriptive way you learn all the secret ways of covert missions and other country involvement. You experience that nothing is as it appears.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2009 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Dad
Shelves: fiction, novels, 2008
An incredibly interesting read. I appreciated that there was a lot less cussing than in Clancy books.
Peter Newman has been given an assignment: kill terrorists. Simple, right? Or not. His mission is busted, and now he must find a way out of hostile territory by himself. What else could go wrong? His communications have been compromised, and people want to shut him up- or make sure he never returns.
Russ
Despite some religious themes, and the fact this book helped some people legitimize the war in Iraq--and its terrible execution--I still managed to be entertained. For example, Oliver North pimped the idea of Iraq having WMD and Saddam Hussein as the United States greatest enemy, despite intelligence analysis and years of Iran being the leading state sponsor of terrorism demonstrating otherwise.
Paul Chandler
A very good book. It is great to read a great thriller/espionage book with a Christian base and not all the swearing and sex and other stuff. Mr. North wrote a great three book series, "Mission Compromised", "Jericho Sanction", and "The Assassins" and I enjoyed reading them all.
Michael
Moderately enjoyable thriller. I got my copy autographed by Ollie at our local Costco. My favorite part of the book was the way the author wrote himself into the book as a heroic character - not, as other authors do, under an assumed name, but under his own name!
Colette Campbell
Oliver North has some really great page-turners, and they're clean. I just re-read this one and it totally seems like something that probably happened-makes me into one of those conspiracy theorists, or something. A great action/military book!
Jeri
USMC Major Newman believes he's assigned along with key troops to do a search and destroy on the likes of Osama bin Laden and Sadaam Hussein. Greed of others in high places gets in the way and the mission is compromised.
Blaise Nicoletti
Why did I not like to read in High School and College. This book was not only enjoyable to read but encouraging as well. I would read 100 to 150 pages each sitting. Just couldn't put it down.
J. Ewbank
The book is very good, excellent in some ways and exciting, but the author does not seem to be a strong author to me.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Rich
Really good book. I read it for hours at a time, and finished it in about 5 days. I couldn't put it down. If you like Tom Clancy, you'll love this book.!
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • Target Lock (Amanda Garrett, #4)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (Seal Team Six Outcasts #1)
  • Seal Force Alpha
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
The Jericho Sanction (Peter Newman, #2) The Assassins (Peter Newman, #3) Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4) American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam