Sturmklänge

Sturmklänge (Warbreaker #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  29,414 ratings  ·  2,225 reviews
Sisters Vivenna and Siri are princesses of Idris. Susebron is the God King one must marry. Lightsong is the reluctant minor god of bravery. Vasher is an immortal still trying to undo mistakes of centuries before. Magic from individual breath from everyday objects can perform all manner of miracles and mischief.

All revisions of this book starting from the rough draft, excep...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2007)

Jonathan

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I really have spoiled myself far too much after feeling exultant due to exams being over and holidays having begun. Firstly it was the sweets (drinking m&ms, eating cheescake, icecream, trifle and toasted sandwiches filled with caramelised apple - cook apples and then mix cream and brown sugar) but not all at once of course, only across 24 hours. And then secondly I read this absolute gem of a novel. But then I have found all of Brandon Sanderson's serious fantasy books to be...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

Let me start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I was expecting another epic type fantasy, with lots of travel and descriptions of foliage, and I was very glad to find myself mistaken in that regard. I enjoyed the more personal aspect of the story, and the intrigue and mystery which went along with it. It was definitely a page-turned, especially towards the end when I wanted to see how everything would work out.

So why only 2 1/2 stars?

A few reasons. The first is that i...more
Jon
Penny
Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and as such my expectations are always rather high and once again he managed to exceed them.

It's impossible to discuss a Sanderson novel without first talking about his world building and magic system. The intricacies of the deep rooted biases and politics between countries was well laid out and made up an important part of the main plots. It also led to one of the more interesting discussions about what we take for granted as given based on wher...more
Felicia
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include bleary eyes from reading too long or staying up too late, knocking yourself in the head for missing the clues and being blindsided, pain in your arm from holding your book or kindle for hours on end, excessive potty breaks at work to sneak a chapter in, tears randomly falling down you face for character deaths, swearing at family and friends with words like Colors, Stormfather, Harmony’s Arms or Lord Ruler, laugh...more
MJ
Sep 11, 2010 MJ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like descriptions of sexy ladies
David Sven
Excellent magic system using a combination of breath and colour (Biochroma) to bring objects to life. Not as complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still interesting and well explained and was definitely the star of the show for me. I would have liked to have learned a lot more about the magic.

The plot and characters were pretty simple. For the first quarter of the book I thought this was just going to be another version of Elantris - with two city main states near war, a political m...more
Susan
Ah, what to say about this book. I did enjoy it. I liked or loved the characters. And I would read it again. Yet I have a hard time giving it 5 stars.

There are 3 story lines, each interesting enough to hold my attention. However, about three quarters of the way through I began to wonder if two of the story lines weren't kind of marching in place waiting for the third (my favorite one) to catch up. I will add this: There was a 'gotcha' in this book that really got me good. I went back over it twi...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the second (and better) book I've read by Mr. Sanderson (the first being his first installment in the eternally continuing saga of the Wheel of Time). My rating on it went back and forth throughout the volume, but I finally settled on a 4. It is an enjoyable book and despite being (what I find) overly wordy with quite a bit of unnecessary dialogue it picks up and finally gets down to business.

The magic system in this book is probably one reason for a lot of the dialogue it's generated as...more
Alexa
Re-read this one in June 2014 with two awesome ladies: Robin and Athena!

Warbreaker doesn't feel as polished as Mistborn: The Final Empire or The Stormlight Archive, and that is a shame, because the idea behind this book is simply amazing.

Seriously, how does Sanderson comes up with all this?? The man is like an endless stream of magic systems, religious believes and awesome characters!

I loved Lightsong The Bold. He will be forever in my list of favorite characters. I loved the way he refuses to...more
Rob
Executive Summary: While not among my favorite books by Brandon Sanderson, I still really enjoyed it, which may say more about my love for Brandon Sanderson’s books than it does about the book itself.

Full Review
Cool Magic system? check.
Interesting world building? check.
Easy to read? check.

So at first blush this is a typical Brandon Sanderson novel. However this one isn’t nearly as polished as his Stormlight Archive books, nor as fun as his Mistborn books. That said, I still really enjoyed it. M...more
Chris
I really struggled with this rating. It probably deserves 5 stars. This is a situation where Sanderson is his own enemy - the Mistborn books were better than this one, so get the higher rating. Warbreaker is very good, but not quite as good as those. This is certainly a case of Sanderson setting the bar way up high with Mistborn, so that work after that has a hard time reaching the standards he set.

But that aside, this one definitely rates 4.5 stars. Maybe 4.75.

I love the system of magic. It's...more
Gavin
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book and...more
Alex Ristea
A Sanderson novel through and through.

Excellent magic (I feel as though that's a given these days), neat and functional world-building, and the workman's prose I've come to love.

It's a solid effort, though you can tell that it's an early book since the writing is good, but nothing special.

My favourite parts were the characters, who I thought had satisfying arcs, and the tight use of POV to show contrast and build up tension between them.

OK, just kidding, my real favourite part of this book (and...more
Stefan
I don't like writing negative reviews about authors I admire, so I'm going to keep this short. I think Brandon Sanderson is a talented writer with a great feel for fantasy world-building. He's a good guy - I read his blog and, well, anyone who recommends that people buy his books in independent bookstores is okay by me. I'm glad he got selected to complete Jordan's Wheel of Time because I think his style is compatible with Jordan's (from what little I've read of WoT at least) and it'll gain him...more
Rabindranauth
Warbreaker is fantasy as only Brandon Sanderson can write it.

An uneasy truce exists between the kingdoms of Idris and Halladren, held together by the signing of a treaty decades ago. As a term of the treaty, a princess of Idris must marry the God King of Halladren, to sire his heir. It has been decided that Siri will marry Susebron to maintain the treaty. In this world, when men die brave deaths, they can be reborn, where they are worshipped as gods in Halladren. Lightsong is one such god. Unfor...more
Rose
This is the first high fantasy novel I've read since my college days, and it's beautiful. I stopped reading high fantasy because I got tired of each and every SINGLE one being a direct rip-off of Tolkien's trilogy (ask me what I think about "The Sword of Shannara" sometime!).

But this is no rip-off. This is that most amazing, most rarest of things: an *original* high fantasy novel. I still can't quite get over it.

There's no quest for some sacred artifact. There's no quest at ALL, in fact; the ac...more
Armina

My first finished read for 2014 shines with five colorful BioChromatic* stars. I'm beyond happy that my reading year has started so great!

Sanderson can tell a tale. And because it is Sanderson we have another excellent magic system using a combination of *breath and colour to bring entities to life and make them perform all manner of miracles and mischief. It's not so spectacular, complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still very interesting, beautiful and far more close to my liking....more
Inge
Guys, I'm only going to say this once.

You need to get Warbreaker and love it. It is unlike anything you've ever read.

P.S. Lightsong is made of awesome.
Jake Menne
A unique fantasy with a strong and relatively twisty plot.

This one started off fairly slow but picked up halfway through and held that fast pace till the end. I definitely enjoyed this book but still feel slightly ambivalent about it. There were some aspects I really liked and some others I had problems with.

What I liked.
The magic system was unique and well thought out (this is Sanderson after all).

The plot was strong and surprised me more than once.

There were some entertaining action scenes a...more
Mimi
Enjoyable read. If you're looking for something light and vibrant that has some religious-political heft and a few lectures on morality, this book is probably you're what looking for. I hesitate to recommend because, although it started off very well, the story was gradually weighed down by too much political intrigue and too many good vs. evil inner struggles.

Sanderson has established yet another world (or is it the same world but a different time period?) on which he can build another series....more
Allison
This is the first Brandon Sanderson book I read. I chose it because it was a standalone, it was on sale, and I wanted to take the measure of the guy who was finishing the Wheel of Time.

I loved it. It's full of political intrigue, characters to care about, and wonderful magic. Sanderson is truly one of the most imaginative authors I've read. It was well-written, which was such a relief after all the duds I'd been reading. My hopes for the WoT ending were fully revived.

At the end of the book, my...more
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
A good book, better than some of his others. It's almost like he took Elantris and refined the core concepts, then added in some elements from Tigana (I was reading the two at the same time and honestly started getting them confused). Unfortunately, the magic-system is never fully realized, the ending (as in so many Sanderson books) is weak, and the setting is barely explored (it takes place in a jungle, but they only ever refer to that in passing!). 3 stars, but it could have been so much bette...more
Nikki
There were some flaws for me with Warbreaker -- like many other reviewers, I felt that the wrapping up at the end went way too fast -- but all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found that I like Brandon Sanderson's world-building a lot, no matter what he's doing: he seems to bring a flair to it, seems to be able to make it that bit different from the rest of the fantasy fare around. I wasn't sure anyone could pull off some of the stuff in Warbreaker, like the princesses whose hair changed co...more
Tina
Jun 05, 2012 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tina by: Aaron Vincent
Shelves: gifts, fantasy, 2012
Original post at One More Page

I've heard so many good things about Brandon Sanderson, but he was never really in one of my authors to-read-soon list. I have friends who are fans, but I never really saw enough reason to read him because...well, I'm not as much as a fantasy reader as my other friends are. Aaron gave me a copy of Warbreaker for my birthday, which I really appreciated for the very cool cover, but you know, I had no intention of reading it anytime soon. I know, I know -- why wait, ri...more
Michael
One of the big reasons I tend to avoid epic fantasy is the notion that I'm so far behind on every epic fantasy series out there today, that I just don't have the time or inclination to invest in catching up on them. Either that or the times I've dipped my toes into the epic fantasy universe, I've found myself frustrated by first or second installments that are more content to tread water for much of their page count and could easily have seen the plot condensed down to one really solid book.

Then...more
Ray
Warbreaker is enjoyable, but in my opinion it's Between this and Elantris for Sanderson's weakest novel. Elantris struggles in execution, stylistic. problems. Warbreaker is stlistically strong, but the problems are in the overarching plot. The magic is a bit gimmicky, but it's still really well thought through, especially in terms of the ways it presents cultural/religious and personal conflicts.
The main weaknesses of the story come from the cliches. Sanderson is best when he is directly subver...more
Brandy
Un 5 de 5. 10 de 10, o como se quiera.
Ya han pasado varios días desde que terminé este libro y todavía me duran sus efectos.
Si bien es cierto que no cumplió la regla de los libros 5 estrellas que es el de leerselo en 2/3 días, el motivo fue porque la vida real no me dejó tiempo para ello.
En El aliento de los dioses encuentras tres historias, tres puntos de vista diferentes con un mismo punto común: la inminente guerra entre dos países: uno de ellos reinado por noble linaje y en las montañas y el...more
Patrick
Reread 6-18-13
I finally got the paperback. Still a great story; still a horrible cover. My wife commented again how horrible it looked again, and I had to remind her she has read some Sanderson. I loved the misdirection in the plot and characters. My page prediction for the paperback was a little off. It was only 656 pages.

Original 2009 review
Day 1: Cool story so far; horrible cover.

Day 3: I finished the book. This hardcover edition has big pages with small print, so it's even longer than the 59...more
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • Promise of Blood (The Powder Mage, #1)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
Words of Radiance is out now!

Steelheart is out now!

Brandon Sanderson was born in 1975 in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a child Brandon enjoyed reading, but he lost interest in the types of titles often suggested to him, and by junior high he never cracked a book if he could help it. This changed when an eighth grade teacher gave him Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly.

Brandon was working on his thirteenth no...more
More about Brandon Sanderson...
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 404 likes
“Unknowing ignorance is preferable to informed stupidity.” 195 likes