Start by marking “The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #4)

The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A glittering ball, a whisper of intrigue and a couple with secrets...

Regency London's most glamorous couple, Mélanie and Charles Fraser, have hidden their pasts from aristocratic society - and each other - to become the envy of the ton.

But, when attending a Twelfth night masquerade, a mysterious masked man is found stabbed to the heart; and all their misdeeds and secrets m
Published (first published March 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Mask of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mask of Night

Jill

London, 1820. At a masquerade ball attended by London society's elite, a masked man is found stabbed to death in an outside pool. Charles and Melanie Fraser are unwilling to be involved. However when they discover that the man was an acquaintance of Melanie's, ten years earlier in Paris, and another friend from her past makes an appearance, they have no choice but to find the murderer and uncover the motive.

The Mask of Night is set some months after the first novel in this series, Daug
Jane
It's been a number of years since Tracy Grant's beloved books featuring Charles and Melanie Fraser hit the scene. Since then other authors (Deanna Raybourn, Tasha Alexander) have picked up the slack with great historical mysteries that follow the romantic progress of the leads. What sets Ms. Grant apart is the very real feel sometimes that Charles and Melanie may not make it as a couple and that each new complication in their lives will be the final straw. That's both a good thing and a bad one. ...more
Mary B. Grove
Still well-written, but it's harder to get past the improbabilities

I enjoyed the story, but was struggling a great deal with Grant's decision to make Roth, a Bow Street runner, friends with aristocrat Charles and his wife Melanie. Melanie's desperate-seeming choice in the last book to invite Roth to dinner and to bring his children over to play with hers was bad enough, but in this book Grant has other aristocrats offering Roth drinks and sitting down with him to answer his questions in rooms re
Li
May 29, 2011 Li rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Li by: Loved her previous Charles & Melanie books
It has been quite a while waiting for this book, and it was a pleasure to sink back into Tracy Grant's complex world of Regency intrigue.

I love how things were not always what they appear to be at first glance, and how Ms Grant peels away the layers of the various relationships in this book, each reveal providing a fresh take on things. Melanie and Charles' relationship remains rather complicated - the revelations in the previous books have put their marriage at risk, but they are both determine
Fantastic follow up to Secrets of a Lady!

The events of this book take place a couple of months after the conclusion of Secrets of a Lady, and Charles and Mélanie have barely had time to catch their breath from that ordeal when they are asked to investigate a murder that took place at a masquerade ball. What follows is a fast paced and highly entertaining tale in which no one is what they seem to be and everyone has a secret.

My only qualm with this book is that it didn't have enough dialogue betw
Mem Morman
Lies within lies within lies. I'm a reader or historicals and regencies, and I felt that this novel did a good job with the era, but the further I read the more I was intrigued with the skill with which the author weaves her web of lies. The story is presented as the sequential happenings when the body of a man is discovered murdered in the fountain at a masquerade ball in late Regency London, and also as a series of flashbacks to things that happened to the characters earlier in their lives. Yo ...more
Christy B
A great sequel to Secrets of a Lady, taking place at the beginning of 1820, a few months after the events of that novel ended.

Charles and Mélanie Fraser, one of the most fashionable couples in London, are a attending a masqued ball hosted by close friends. The party, however, soon ends when a dead man is found floating in a fountain, having been stabbed through the heart.

Charles and Mélanie, having only had a few months to recover from their own stressful ordeal, are asked to help and reluctan
Jenna
I love this series by Tracy Grant.

What I liked in this installment:
1. The challenges that Charles and Melanie face confronting her past and how Charles deals with it.
2. The plot. There were turns left and right and underhanded double dealings all over the place.
3. Enjoyed the historical fiction about the Bonapartes (Josephine and Hortense)...especially how much was woven in.
4. The imagery of the ballrooms, the costumes, the scenery, etc.

What could have been better:
1. Grammatical errors - it look
Allison Chase
I've been waiting for another Charles and Melanie book from Tracy Grant. I loved the first two, Daughter of the Game and Beneath a Silent Moon - both on my keeper shelf.

This book did not disappoint. My only caveat is that I wouldn't recommend starting the series with this book. Read the earlier two first to become familiar with Charles and Melanie, their history and emotional upheaval, and their circle of family and friends. This mystery takes the reader through a labyrinth of clues and suspects
cheryl ann crenshaw
Exciting read.

The Mask of Night was a fast-paced story that kept this reader from putting it down. it was very complex with it's many characters and storyline. A few times I found myself rereading paragraphs to make sure of what I had read. I really enjoyed this book in spite of the many typing errors.
Lindsey
Again, loved this installment of the Charles/Melanie Fraser series. I feel like I need a character list to keep track of everyone and their relations. If I hadn't read the previous books, I would have been lost.
Patricia
Like the story, like the characters, but for heaven's sake, is it that hard to use spell check? And grammar check? The zillions of typos and missing words had me desperate for a red pencil....
Jenny
I enjoyed this book. It is a spy novel that takes place in London (where else could you possibly set a good mystery!) Charles and Melanie are husband and wife. This is not the first book in their series, and I am curious about the before. Needless to say they have 'baggage' that they are dealing with as their pasts catch up with their marriage. I love the fact that Melanie holds her own. She is a tough girl, a survivor. I would read another book in this series.
Kay Webb
ebook/ Sequel to Daughter of the Game/Secrets of a Lady. I especially enjoyed the tension between Charles and Melanie as they continue to rebuild the trust between them.
Kristin
Nov 19, 2012 Kristin marked it as to-read
I love all of Tracy Grant's Charles and Melanie novels, but this ebook doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I guess I'll have to be patient. :(
Mary G.
Really enjoy reading Tracy Grant series featuring Charles and Melanie Fraser. Wonderful characters. Hope she will continue this series.
Sanna
Melanie
Good suspense! Another great Melanie and Charles Fraser novel.
Niamh Dolan
Good, but felt it was all a little rushed at the end of the book.
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Cynthia Pratt
Cynthia Pratt marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Vienna Waltz (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #3)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Silent Night (Lady Julia, #5.5)
  • The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #8)
  • The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey, #1)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
Also writes under the name Teresa Grant. Aka Anna Grant and Anthea Malcolm with Joan Grant.
More about Tracy Grant...

Charles & Mélanie Fraser (8 books)
  • Secrets of a Lady (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #1)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • Vienna Waltz (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #3)
  • Imperial Scandal (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #5)
  • The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6)
  • The Paris Plot (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6.5)
  • The Berkeley Square Affair
Secrets of a Lady (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #1) Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2) Rightfully His (Vaughan Quartet, #4) Dark Angel Shadows of the Heart (Vaughan Quartet, #2)