Start by marking “Dark Bayou (Dark Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Bayou (Dark Trilogy, #1)

Dark Bayou (The Dark Trilogy #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,078 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
In this supernatural page-turner, Leigh Benoit is beckoned home to Louisiana by her grandmother to take care of her orphaned niece, Lyla. Deep in the mysterious waterways of Cajun Country, lies the secret of a Dark force that threatens Leigh's family. Can Leigh, with the help of her childhood friend, Detective Lucas Castille, shed her doubts and muster the strength to unco ...more
Published December 17th 2010 by (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Bayou

Jul 02, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
"A supernatural trilogy set in Cajun Country? I'll take the lot, thank you very much. And no, no need to wrap. I'll read it right... oh, sorry, I already started." I would've said that if I bought this in print but I bought it from the Kindle store so I read it right away anyway. Lol. I might be a bit biased here since I love stories set in Southern America specifically Mississippi and (especially) Louisiana ... history goes way back so let's not dwell on it. Let's just agree I might be a bit bi ...more
Dec 26, 2015 Jacob rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
As I kid my father often took me to a book store in Berkeley, CA that I loved called Dark Carnival (unfortunately, it is only a shadow of what it once was, but it does still exist When the sequel to this book, Dark Carnival, came up promotionally on Amazon in Kindle format I had to get it simply for the name association, even though I know the book has nothing to do with the book store I loved as a kid. And I couldn't just read the 2nd book in a series, so I also g ...more
Rick Soper
May 09, 2013 Rick Soper rated it really liked it
I'm a born and raised Californian and I can't think of a single movie or book that I've ever read or seen that doesn't make the Louisiana Bayou a really creepy place. This books is no exception. There are some seriously creepy and scary scenes in this book. Duplechain sets up a moss covered world filled with dark creatures that are constantly coming at the main character, invading her dreams, threatening her reality, and generally making the readers skin crawl. There are some story points that i ...more
In this book, Leigh hears from her estranged Maw-Maw that her brother and sister-and-law have passed away and she goes home to Abbeville, LA from Los Angeles for their funeral. She's supposed to take care of her niece, Lyla, but is reluctant to do so until she feels that Lyla's life is in danger. Even after that she doesn’t really seem too keen on the job, really.

Okay, so really the reason this book got 4 stars is that it just felt so freakin’ authentic I couldn’t help but rate it highly. The lo
Bella Doerres
Jan 07, 2013 Bella Doerres rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Dark Bayou and it was amazing. posted a review for you
Dark Bayou by Nancy K. Duplechain

Leigh left her bayou home and went to California. She had lost enough and was tired. She loved the beaches the ocean and it would take something incredible to get her to go back. When the call came she wasn’t ready. She didn’t want to go back but there was no choice. She had a feeling of foreboding like something was going to happen. If she had known would she have gone back even for th
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Free Kindle read.
I have mixed feelings on this one. It sort of reminded me of the movie, The Skeleton Key.

I thought the mystery and suspense portions were well done, and I got chills a few times, especially in the beginning before we start getting answers.

I was a little thrown off by the main character, Leigh. Her emotional isolation just seemed odd. It's like she has no emotional attachments to anyone outside of her best friend. She grew up and went to school in a small town, she stayed in sta
Mar 21, 2014 Calamus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
Leigh had abandoned her Louisiana roots for the bright lights and seaside sights of Los Angeles until a tragedy strikes her family and she is boomeranged back to the Bayou. There she finds herself entrenched in more than she could have ever imagined when suspicions arise that the car wreck that killed her brother and sister-in-law, and left 10-year-old Layla parentless, may not have been an accident after all—a dark force may have been at play. Leigh tries to shake off the far-out idea and flees ...more
May 31, 2013 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-horror
An intriguing premise and setting, but lacking the kind of depth and nuance I like in my stories. Stilted, plain prose that could have benefited from more risk-taking and less hand-holding, walking readers through every insignificant action. Characters were shallow and underdeveloped. The plot moved along at a steady clip, but I was never really scared the way I wanted to be. Finally, there were too many dream sequences. One of those "almost, but not quite there" books.
Jul 05, 2012 Kiki rated it really liked it
What a dark, twisted, chilling story. My mother never reads a book in one sitting, but was unable to put this book down and immediately sent it to me. And I have to say it was the same for me. Whenever there is voodoo involved I'm scared. This book did Southern Louisiana justice. I felt as if I was there!! Can't wait to read the next installment in the Dark Trilogy.

Happy Reading
Bella Street
Jun 30, 2012 Bella Street rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! Bought the freebie and was hooked from the start. I felt like I was in Louisiana--sights, smells, and textures, and seeing the shadows between the cypress and tupelo trees. Slowly suspenseful (everything in the South is slow, after all) the story builds and kept me reading late into the night. Off to grab book two!
I enjoyed this supernatural/paranormal fantasy. Original/different plot with nice likeable and well developed characters.

Interesting Louisiana setting and Cajun culture, added to the story, and created great atmosphere.

Book one of the trilogy. I definitely want to read the other two books.
Debbie Genge
Jun 10, 2013 Debbie Genge rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I read this book on the weekend because there was NO way I could put it down and go to work....loved this book....I just downloaded the second book "Dark Carnival". I just might take a vacation day to read....can't wait for the 3rd...Nancy you are an AMAZING writer.....
Nan Carder
Apr 13, 2013 Nan Carder rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you a story set in the Bayou of, that was already done with Dark Bayou. Twists and turns through paranormal alleyways take you to places that usually only haunt your dreams. I loved how I was pulled in and taken for this dark ride.
Jul 03, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally found another book I had a hard time putting down that allowed me to escape into it. Great visualizations and main character development. Looking forward to reading the next books in the trilogy!
Mar 07, 2013 Whitney rated it it was amazing
This book is a great suspense/romance with a little magical charm. Being a Louisiana girl I loved how she described Louisiana! I felt at home while reading this book and loved every moment of it!
Jul 08, 2012 Tona rated it really liked it
Having to return to Louisiana for her brother and sister-in-laws funeral will change Leigh's life forever. Not only does she need to reconnect with her niece but she she needs to save her also.
Stephanie Frantz
Nov 23, 2012 Stephanie Frantz rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put the book down. Awesome read. Looking forward to reading the second book.
Sep 28, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern-gothic
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - I found it free on Kindle one day, and while I have to say it might not have been all that I would like in a Southern Gothic story, it kept me reading, non-stop. And, the teaser at the end for the next book will probably have me checking that one out too.

The story ultimately revolves around a black-sheep sort of homecoming for Leigh to a life she has spent years and traveled miles to escape, where she has to face down ancient family secrets, and ultimately make a
This book actually managed to scare me quite a bit. I was impressed.

Leigh Benoit has to return to her childhood home in Louisiana for her brother and his wife's funeral, and even though her grandmother tells her that she must take care of her niece, Lyla, she returns to her home on the other side of the country. A week later, however, she returns to Louisiana and is forced to confront her skeptical attitude towards voodoo and her grandmother's insistence that Lyla is in danger. Along the way th
Sep 20, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
I hovered between a 2 "it was OK" and 3 "I liked it" star rating for this book, but went with the 3 based on how well the author pulled me into the setting of a small-ish town in Louisiana. The tone and mood was dark, just as the title implies, and sufficiently spooky to make me glad I was safe and sound, curled up in my bed.

The plot line was interesting enough to keep me engaged with the story, but it wasn't without a few disconnects for me. I never really got why Leigh ran from Louisiana in th
Jun 28, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Bayou is the first book I've read by this author. I think I read it may be her first, but not certain. I enjoyed the storyline. For the most part it was fast-paced and kept me turning pages. The supporting characters were interesting. The author used detailed and vivid descriptions of scenes which made the story come alive. I could visualize parts of Louisiana and the swamps.

I'm not in love with the main character, but I don't dislike her either. She's a little selfish and disrespectful, es
J. Hammond
Jun 09, 2013 J. Hammond rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal fans, anyone traveling to LA
There's something mysterious about the swamps and bayous of Louisiana. Like the summer heat, Dark Bayou by Nancy K. Duplechain blankets the reader in a deceptive blanket of lethargy only to spring into action without notice. The red herrings of this sinister mystery mix liberally with real clues, fascinating scenery, interesting characters and the supernatural to create and engaging and fast summer read that will appeal to fans of the paranormal genre.

Dark Bayou has a slightly sinister feel to
Skye Turner
Dark Bayou by Nancy Duplechain is a wonderful debut novel. Dark Bayou (Dark Trilogy, #1) by Nancy K. Duplechain
I am a bit of a book snob, and since I'm from Louisiana, I really look for "real" details when books are set here.
Nancy delivers.
Dark Bayou is the perfect mix of Louisiana history, intrigue, and romance.
You can't help but feel for Leigh and Lucas and their love for Lyla.
The supporting characters are phenomenal as well.
Being from Louisiana, I could accurately picture every scene of the book with Nancy's attention to detail.
The story a
Sep 20, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't Pass This One Up!

A lot of mystery and intrigue, some romance and ghosts! All my favorites in one book. This is a trilogy but reads like a standalone. Well at least the first book. This was so engrossing to read on a rainy and stormy afternoon I must get and read the other two. After all a budding romance in book one I need to know the handsome guy gets the girl!
Jan 12, 2015 Kristi marked it as done-reading  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
fun read

I don't usually care for books with magic and spirits but this story wasn't too extreme. I started reading this book not knowing what it was about and when it started turning towards that I got a little worried but I'm glad I stuck with it. I love the setting and the characters were likable and overall it was a good read. I plan on reading the second book soon
Jan 20, 2016 Tai rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I read this to get ready for my first visit to New Orleans. I, oddly enough, got a lot out of it as far as some cultural expectations and a desire to try some of the lesser known local fare.

That said, this book is mostly ridiculous. I am all about very out-there stories, but this read like an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode, complete with awkward, shy romance (but with adults), ghosts/demons/evil somethings, and graveyard scenes.

Jan 11, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1 on anyone's list!

I thought this would be another run of the mill, horror story! I could not have been any further from the truth. This was a constant page!! This book was awesome!! There never was a time when I would just skim over a chapter, just because the story was slow. Loved the book but mainly, I have found a favorite author!!!
Candice Mckinney
Apr 30, 2014 Candice Mckinney rated it it was amazing
Leigh Benoit has returned home to Louisiana when she learns that her brother and sister in law have been killed in an accident. Leigh has a grandmother and niece that need her to come home from California. Leigh is torn between the responsibility she feels to her family and her desire to go back to California. Louisiana is a good setting, especially for a spooky book like this.

Great book, hard to put it down!

Carol Ward
Dec 31, 2015 Carol Ward rated it really liked it
This dark, suspenseful romance is well written and hard to put down. I enjoyed reading about Leigh's struggle to come to terms with her choices, and I enjoyed the general air of mystery cloaking the past. I also like the subtle details woven through the story and the part about Charlemagne's knights was fascinating.
I bought this book thinking it had to do with Voodoo or Hoodoo, but it's only a small part in the story. It has more to do with the forces of light & dark & various people with different abilities. It has a small bit of romance, but no explicit sex. I liked it enough that I continued onto the 2nd book in the series.
  • Between Seasons
  • Nine Steps to Sara
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • Silas
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Halloween is for Lovers
  • Wading Home
  • The Ghosts of Varner Creek
  • Blood Alley (The Highwayman #1)
  • The Lost Garden (An Evan Knight Adventure #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Her Dear and Loving Husband (Loving Husband, #1)
  • Love After Death (Jolie Blonde #3)
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • The Midget's House
  • A Death Displaced (Lansin Island, #1)
  • Being Nobody (Witness, #1)

The Dark Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dark Carnival (Dark Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Legacy (The Dark Trilogy #3)

“It’s one of them. Your life can have many destinies. It’s all in what you choose. Each decision you make takes you down a different path. It’s up to you to decide which path is more fulfilling.” 1 likes
“When you judge someone, you playing God.” 0 likes