Start by marking “Full Moon and Star” as Want to Read:
Full Moon and Star

Full Moon and Star

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This charming picture book by the team that created City I Love introduces readers to playwriting and performing while sharing a unique and tender story of friendship.

Best friends Kyle and Katie do everything together. When Kyle decides to write a play about a full moon, Katie decides she will write one about a star. But it is always more fun to do things together, so when
Published August 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon and Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon and Star

Elisabeth
Aug 27, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
I liked where this began - Kyle writes a play about two half moons who work together to become a full moon, but one of the half moons says "But a full moon cannot last forever". I thought yes! Friends can come together to create something, but can also seperate and be okay as individuals. THEN Katie (oh Katie) writes a play where two stars twinkle together and dance and sing and then one star leaves and the star that is left is SO sad and doesn't want to twinkle all alone and guilts the other st ...more
Melissa
Aug 29, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
What I liked best about these three short plays is how they felt exactly like something children might actually write. (I base this on my experience as a mom who had to watch a number of plays created by her girls.) I would give this in a minute to a primary grade teacher looking for writing models for the classroom.

What I liked least about the book is the flat, single note of friendship it portrays: Friends must do everything together and think everything the other does is fabulous and be exac
Josh Sonii
Sep 30, 2014 Josh Sonii rated it liked it
This book is about a boy and a girl named Kyle and Katie. They do everything together. Kyle decides to write a play one day and ask Katie if she wants to read it. Katie is surprised because they do everything together but she wants to read it. The two main character of the play are Half-Moon One and Half-Moon Two. They both come out and announce that they are half moons. Half-Moon One says they should join together to be a full moon. Half-Moon Two agrees because everyone loves full moons. When t ...more
Barbara
Dec 21, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Good friends Kyle and Katie spend lots of time together doing the things they enjoy the most, but when Kyle writes a play on his own, Katie feels a little left out even though the play describes how two half moons put together can make a full moon. Katie, in turn, writes her own play about a star. Both children decide to combine their efforts for a play combining the moon and the star. In the end, both agree that it's more fun to work together than separately. The pen and ink and watercolor illu ...more
Jessica Harrison
Nov 12, 2011 Jessica Harrison rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, picture
Review via Cracking the Cover

“Full Moon and Star” is written in three acts, and at first might be a little confusing to younger readers, who may not understand the play within a story convention or the way a script works. However, the book makes a lot more sense read aloud, and children will enjoy seeing the plays unfold as older readers use different voices and help bring the characters to life.

Simple, almost comic-like illustrations really help to make “Full Moon and Star” work. Star and Moon
Evelyn
Full Moon and Star by Lee Bennett Hopkins is a story that could be used in a lesson about friendships and how it is good to collaboate with partners because it can help bring new ideas to the table. It is also a book that could be used in a math lesson on fractions since it talks about halves of the moon. I would also use this book in the engage portion of a science unit on day and night or one about the moon. This book would be used for students in grades K-3rd.
Kelly Morgan
Nov 05, 2012 Kelly Morgan rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is about two friends who always to things together.One day one of the friends wrote a story and shared it with the other and the other friend wrote a story and shared it with the other. They came to a conclusion and decided create one big story. This is a a great book for readers theater in the classroom. It allows the students to open up and use their big /sometimes small voices.
Amanda
May 15, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book!The book is written in Acts like a play, and the two main characters take turns writing a play that the other character reads. The characters use teamwork and friendship to write a play together about the Moon and Stars. Great introduction to plays and how to read them.
Nancy Vu
This is a book about two kids writing a play. It tells us that a full moon is not always in the sky. It shows us that two- halves make a whole and it shows us the art of writing a play. I really enjoyed the different style text and the illustrations. Grades 2-5.
Maria
May 02, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
I think the friendship element and the potential of this book encouraging kids to write, especially plays, but my child at heart found it to be a snooze. The story was flat.
Michelle Gray
Dec 27, 2013 Michelle Gray rated it did not like it
Very choppy writing. Not really that great of a plot.
Laura Salas
Oct 02, 2011 Laura Salas added it
Shelves: children-s, pbs
Yoo Kyung Sung
Feb 27, 2012 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it liked it
Good example of different writing. It shows nature of performing in relation to writing.. But too cheesy
Bethe
Jun 13, 2013 Bethe rated it did not like it
Bookaday #4. Ugh, reads like an old fashioned beginning reader, Kyle and Katie instead of Dick and Jane.
June Pecchia
Sweet story about collaboration between a young boy and girl who create a play together.
Mary Lee
Dec 24, 2011 Mary Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla11, picture-book
A sweet story of friendship and creative collaboration.
Allison
Aug 10, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
fun book with lots of classroom possibilities:)
Donalyn
Heavy-handed.
Kansas
Dec 26, 2011 Kansas added it
Shelves: friendship
ddb
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Agt
Agt rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2015
Eleanor Jan
Eleanor Jan rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Jacob
Jacob added it
May 11, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
elle & esme gosling
elle & esme gosling rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2014
Brady
Brady rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014