Start by marking “The Straw Man and a Murder” as Want to Read:
The Straw Man and a Murder

The Straw Man and a Murder

THE WICKED MUST BE PUNISHED...

A ten year old boy finds solace from his abusive father in the cornfields where his 'friends' reside. One of these friends is a scarecrow. The others are crows.

When his father's violence goes too far, something must be done, and before the night is up the wicked will learn that vengeance comes in many shapes and sizes.

Short Fiction. approx 17
Published November 21st 2011 by Jeff Menapace; 2 edition (first published March 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Straw Man and a Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Straw Man and a Murder

Michelle R.
(Review originally published at Red Adept Reviews.)

Overall: 4 1/2 stars (I'm rounding down when choosing stars, because I expect a lot from this author!)

Plot/Storyline: 4 1/4 stars

This is a short story, and so it's also straightforward. There's not much to complain about here. This reminded me a little of the Twilight Zone episode in which the kid wishes people into the cornfield - only with a way more sympathetic kid. I didn't fully buy a scene where the father had a friend over to drink and ta
Jim
Aug 31, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
If you're not familiar with Jeff Menapace's horror/thriller writing, "The Straw Man and a Murder" is a good introduction to his work. It's not his best work to date - that would be "Sugar Daddy" in my opinion - but it demonstrates his considerable talent for evoking images of supernatural horror. In the story, young Thomas Bowen was forced to live with his drunkard father, a man who's disappointed in his son and expresses his disappointment by cruelly demeaning the boy in every way, including be ...more
Quinesia Johnson
Jun 25, 2016 Quinesia Johnson rated it liked it
I loved the premise and set up. I wish Menapace could have kept with the imagination and gave us an ending a little more realistic. I'm thinking a whirlwind of tumbleweeds/ hay may have assisted the ending immensely. I liked it pretty much, the ending was kind of a bummer. (I'm reading the short story collection and am reviewing each story).
Tim
May 26, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Short and good

after reading the bad games books by this author I wanted to check out his earlier work. this is a short story that moves along quite nicely. I recommend this to anyone discovering Jeff menapace through the bad games books that wants to see his earlier work.
Matt
May 04, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
If only I hadn't seen the movie...

It was a good short story but it very much reminded me of Chief Woodenhead by Stephen King from the movie Creepshow 2.
Lisa Cleveland
Mar 29, 2015 Lisa Cleveland rated it really liked it
This is a good short story that's been told hundreds of times, but I still enjoyed it none the less. Jeff's a great writer. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Latashia Figueroa
Nov 22, 2013 Latashia Figueroa rated it it was amazing
I LOVE JEFF MENAPACE- HIS STORIES LEAVE ME FEELING SATISFIED.
In THE STRAW MAN AND A MURDER-
A TEN YEAR OLD BOY FINDS COMFORT IN THE STRAW MAN THAT OCCUPIES HIS ABUSIVE FATHER’S CORNFIELD. IN FITS OF RAGE AND DRUNKEN VERBAL SLURS, THE FATHER’S ABUSE INTENSIFIES WITH EACH PAGE. HE DOES NOT REALIZE HIS SON HAS A RESCUER WHOSE BEEN LISTENING, WATCHING AND WAITING TO PUT AN END TO HIS BULLYING, AN END TO THE ABUSE, AN END TO THE TORMENT. AND HE DOES IT THOROUGHLY. THE PACE IS QUICK, THE ABUSE MAKES Y
Colleen Lahey
Nov 06, 2014 Colleen Lahey rated it really liked it
The author used a clever play of words and made this a very interesting novel.
Orsayor
Feb 01, 2016 Orsayor rated it it was amazing
I love this author!!!
Mark Goodwin
Jan 26, 2016 Mark Goodwin rated it really liked it
A very short but enjoyable read.
Lorraine Taylor
May 09, 2013 Lorraine Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-shelf
A terrific introduction to Jeff Menapace. This is a short story, so I can't really say too much about it. A gripping read about a little boy suffering physical abuse at the hands of his father, this story is fast-paced and engaging.
I would consider this story to be a great starting place for anyone considering reading Jeff Menapace's work. I'll be reviewing his book 'Bad Games' shortly too. That was a fantastic read.
Brenda Seaberg
Apr 29, 2015 Brenda Seaberg rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. It was just different enough to be enjoyable, and I really like the author's writing.
Kina
Kina marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Blue Angel
Blue Angel rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Brittany Phillips
Brittany Phillips marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Evie Miller
Evie Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Steve Rogers
Steve Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Kathy Jenkins
Kathy Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Melen
Melen rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Luke Larsen
Luke Larsen rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Gracie
Gracie rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Stacey Harrell
Stacey Harrell rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
alexandria
alexandria rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Jen Sullivan
Jen Sullivan rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A native of the Philadelphia area, Jeff has published multiple works in both fiction and non-fiction. In 2011 he was the recipient of the Red Adept Reviews Indie Award for Horror.

In March of 2014, his novel BAD GAMES was a #1 Kindle bestseller and is now being optioned as a feature film.

Free time for Jeff is spent watching horror movies, The Three Stooges, and mixed martial arts. He loves steak a
More about Jeff Menapace...