Start by marking “The Straw Man and a Murder” as Want to Read:
The Straw Man and a Murder

The Straw Man and a Murder

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
THE WICKED MUST BE PUNISHED...

A ten year old boy finds solace from his abusive father in the cornfields where his 'friends' reside. One of these friends is a scarecrow. The others are crows.

When his father's violence goes too far, something must be done, and before the night is up the wicked will learn that vengeance comes in many shapes and sizes.

Short Fiction. approx 17
Published November 21st 2011 by Jeff Menapace; 2 edition (first published March 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Straw Man and a Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Straw Man and a Murder

Michelle R.
(Review originally published at Red Adept Reviews.)

Overall: 4 1/2 stars (I'm rounding down when choosing stars, because I expect a lot from this author!)

Plot/Storyline: 4 1/4 stars

This is a short story, and so it's also straightforward. There's not much to complain about here. This reminded me a little of the Twilight Zone episode in which the kid wishes people into the cornfield - only with a way more sympathetic kid. I didn't fully buy a scene where the father had a friend over to drink and ta
Jim
If you're not familiar with Jeff Menapace's horror/thriller writing, "The Straw Man and a Murder" is a good introduction to his work. It's not his best work to date - that would be "Sugar Daddy" in my opinion - but it demonstrates his considerable talent for evoking images of supernatural horror. In the story, young Thomas Bowen was forced to live with his drunkard father, a man who's disappointed in his son and expresses his disappointment by cruelly demeaning the boy in every way, including be ...more
Tim
May 26, 2014 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Short and good

after reading the bad games books by this author I wanted to check out his earlier work. this is a short story that moves along quite nicely. I recommend this to anyone discovering Jeff menapace through the bad games books that wants to see his earlier work.
Matt
If only I hadn't seen the movie...

It was a good short story but it very much reminded me of Chief Woodenhead by Stephen King from the movie Creepshow 2.
Lisa Cleveland
This is a good short story that's been told hundreds of times, but I still enjoyed it none the less. Jeff's a great writer. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Latashia Figueroa
I LOVE JEFF MENAPACE- HIS STORIES LEAVE ME FEELING SATISFIED.
In THE STRAW MAN AND A MURDER-
A TEN YEAR OLD BOY FINDS COMFORT IN THE STRAW MAN THAT OCCUPIES HIS ABUSIVE FATHER’S CORNFIELD. IN FITS OF RAGE AND DRUNKEN VERBAL SLURS, THE FATHER’S ABUSE INTENSIFIES WITH EACH PAGE. HE DOES NOT REALIZE HIS SON HAS A RESCUER WHOSE BEEN LISTENING, WATCHING AND WAITING TO PUT AN END TO HIS BULLYING, AN END TO THE ABUSE, AN END TO THE TORMENT. AND HE DOES IT THOROUGHLY. THE PACE IS QUICK, THE ABUSE MAKES Y
Colleen Lahey
The author used a clever play of words and made this a very interesting novel.
Lorraine Taylor
A terrific introduction to Jeff Menapace. This is a short story, so I can't really say too much about it. A gripping read about a little boy suffering physical abuse at the hands of his father, this story is fast-paced and engaging.
I would consider this story to be a great starting place for anyone considering reading Jeff Menapace's work. I'll be reviewing his book 'Bad Games' shortly too. That was a fantastic read.
Brenda Seaberg
I enjoyed this story. It was just different enough to be enjoyable, and I really like the author's writing.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Bob Kjelmyr
Bob Kjelmyr marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Debbie Delong
Debbie Delong marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
christina cooper
christina cooper marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
pandi
pandi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Tamela Sutler
Tamela Sutler marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Barbara Haynes
Barbara Haynes is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A native of the Philadelphia area, Jeff has published multiple works in both fiction and non-fiction. In 2011, he was the recipient of the Red Adept Reviews Indie Award for Horror.

In March 2014, his novel BAD GAMES was the #1 Kindle bestseller in Psychological Thrillers and Suspense Horror.

Free time for Jeff is spent watching horror movies, The Three Stooges, and mixed martial arts. He loves steak
More about Jeff Menapace...
Bad Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #1) Bad Games: Hellbent - A Dark Psychological Thriller (Bad Games Series, #3) Vengeful Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #2) Hair of the B*tch: A Twisted Psychological Thriller Princess - A Disturbing Psychological Thriller