Start by marking “Un extraño en mis brazos” as Want to Read:
Un extraño en mis brazos

Un extraño en mis brazos

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,315 Ratings  ·  450 Reviews
Cuando le dijeron a Lara que su esposo había muerto, la vida de la joven se convirtió en un caos. Hunter, conde de Hawksworth, había naufragado en alta mar, dando fin así a su desdichado matrimonio, carente de ternura y pasión.Pero ahora Lara tenía frente a sí a un hombre de fogosos ojos oscuros, que exponía secretos que sólo un esposo podía conocer y juraba que ella volve ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 350 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Ediciones B (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Un extraño en mis brazos, please sign up.

Jessica Woodrow It was a terrible book. The heroine was irritating beyond all bounds! What type of books do you like to read?

AgentScully
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Attention! It appears that someone thinks this story is full of spoilers, however, it's been so long since I read it that I'm not sure if there are spoilers, or if it's just a recap of the book blurb. Therefore - proceed at your own risk.

This is one of my favorite storylines; unaffectionate husband leaves, presumably dies, shows up not dead and has miraculously become one hot, passionate and attentive lover. What more could a woman ask for? Perhaps it’s my love of this story theme that had my
Samadrita
Caution:- This is going to be a long review despite the fact that this is a romance novel and I usually don't write long reviews for romance novels.

A year ago I had discovered Lisa Kleypas when I got my hands on the Blue-Eyed Devil. A book which did not capture my imagination right at the onset but which reeled me in very slowly and left me quite charmed by the end.
I thought, here's a romance novelist who doesn't sugar-coat domestic abuse, try to make it appear less than it actually is and give
Rane
Jun 17, 2009 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rane by: new_user
This was such an enjoyable read that I re-read twice already!

I adored Hunter and Lara, both were great with one hiding from the past and another hiding in plain sight.
Hunter was the type of male character I love, strong but not forceful, as he slowly drew Lara out of her hard shell she lived in before and after his disappearance. Although he acted like he didn’t give a damn, his actions prove otherwise time and time again. He did hide many things from Lara but, you knew he loved her very dee
Bark's Book Nonsense
Nov 03, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Using the premise of the famous "Sommersby" movie, but set in Regency England, STRANGER IN MY ARMS tells the tale of a woman married to a horror of a man who has been lost at sea and is presumed dead. When he returns she is shocked and upset. She's made a new life for herself and does not want him back. But the man who returns to her is a changed one, he's kinder, he's honorable, he acts like he genuinely cares for her, and he awakens feelings in her she never had for her husband. He's now a man ...more
valee
Jul 01, 2010 valee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I can't believe I'm seriously rating an LK book this low but seriously, I just can't give more.

It started out pretty good. A very interesting plot. I found the idea of her husband coming back from the dead after being lost for a year incredibly entertaining. Specially because he was an ass before and then he turned everything she had ever wanted.

But then we get to meet the heroine better, and let me just say that that was the worst thing I have had to read about for a long time. She is
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical Romance

This is a brilliant, poignant, and achingly romantic read with an element of mystery and suspense as well from the master of historical romance, Lisa Kleypas. Hunter, the Earl of Hawksworth, is a captivating, tortured hero to die for that you can’t help but fall hard for. It’s another winner and LK favorite worthy of big 5 stars!
Eastofoz
Jul 02, 2009 Eastofoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like impersonation themes
Recommended to Eastofoz by: new_user
An « okay » read at best for me. The writing is good but for some reason the story just didn’t click for me. I didn’t really feel much of anything for Lara and Alex. Impersonation stories are not a favourite of mine but if done right they could have potential. This one was missing a bit of ‘something’.

I had a hard time believing the hero could have loved or even desired the heroine based on some sad letters. All that seemed too far-fetched. The heroine was also somewhat too good. She needed to s
Huma Rashid
Mar 06, 2012 Huma Rashid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an absolute waste of time, except for the hero, Hunter. Hunter was a great character with an interesting backstory. The same could not be said for the rest of the characters, especially the heroine.

Lara is cold and unreasonable, and it gets incredibly annoying. At first I was prepared to be really sympathetic: Kleypas bangs us over the head with the fact that every time this woman slept with her husband, it was painful, and she was very aware of how he was in love with another woma
Carrie
DNF in audio. I really, really hate the heroine. She's cold and self-righteous. The details of her charity work are sticky-sweet and boring. I may skim the library copy so I can satisfy my curiosity about Hunter, who is a great character, btw.

Rosalyn Landor is the narrator for the audiobook. I didn't care for her voice for Hunter. She is too gruff and he sounds old instead of sexy.

Edited to add: I skimmed the library copy of the book. It was okay, so I'm upgrading to 2 stars. I still disliked th
Debbie
Oct 23, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved it!

Lisa Kleypas is definitely an author that will stick in my memory. I have passed her books on shelves for years and never picked one up snobbishly writing them off as "those romance novels and I read real literature". (Nose in the air thinking of the likes of Austin, Bronte, Dickens, Kingsolver and too many modern authors to name.) But having read this book I almost want to apologize. Romance in genre it may be but it has all the respective elements of a great story plus
♥ Melody

It really depresses me to give anything written by Lisa Kleypas below a 4 stars rating (3 in this case *cries*) but this just wasn't a winner for me. A complete first. :( She's my Queen of all things Historical Romance. I relish reading her work and never worry about what I'm gonna get when I start a book by her. It's always a treat and I end up devouring her books rather quickly. The first for me in this case was that I found the heroine Larissa absolutely intolerable throughout most of the sto
Sophie ♥
I know I've said this after 90% of the books I've read lately, but I did not like the heroine at all. Lara was such a feint character to me. Somehow she came across as stubborn and a little self-absorbed. I just didn't find anything appealing about her. I could see that Lisa Kleypas was trying to evoke a soft, gentle character with a big heart, but the way that she kept prattling about the orphans was NOT endearing to me. I can see why this is one of Lisa's earlier books because the characters a ...more
Didi
An older LK, but her talent was evident even then. Loved the suspense surrounding Hunter. Great storytelling, beautiful writing and LK's brand of spiced up sexy time.
Keri
While this wasn't my favorite LK read it was still very good. Lara is a widow satisfied with how her life is arranged. She now lives simply with her good works and an orphanage that she supports, what more could a woman need. So when she finds out that her supposedly dead husband is back in town, she isn't happy at all.

He sailed away to India three years earlier and had died on the sea in a crash a year before. So color her surprised when she gets a look at her husband. He looks like her husban
Addicted to Books
My Hunter

I Read this book again and I keep falling in love with Hunter !

I was revisiting this book a bit and I really like this book because this is the second romance I have read. The first would be the gift by Danielle Steel. I was 14 years old i think.

I fell in love with Hunter and was wondered about why Lara was playing hard to get. I understand with their troubled past and the way things worked back then, why Lara would seem annoying.

Basically Lara's husband returns after presumed to be d
Cata
Aug 04, 2012 Cata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
«Lady Hawksworth, o seu marido não está morto…»

Esta frase só por si já seria suficiente para que o livro captasse a minha atenção, afinal quem não gosta de uma história em que o marido regressa do Mundo dos Mortos, fazendo com que a vida da “viúva” fique de pernas para o ar?! Juntem-lhe uma boa crítica- como a da Sara Delgado do Blog O Meu Momento Zen- e é certo e sabido que não levará muito tempo até que eu vá a correr adquirir o livro.

Foi assim que Stanger in My Arms, ou Um Estranho nos Meus B
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. This was another winner for me by Lisa Kleypas. It was somewhat darker, and almost reminded me of a Sherry Thomas novel. It had a fun mystery that kept me guessing until nearly the end. There was some really steamy scenes. The characters were likeable.

So why 4.5 stars, and not 5? The ending of the book devolved into a Jerry Springer story 1800s-style. It was almost laughable how soap opera like the ending was. My husband was reading over my shoulder as I read the ending last night
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I would have adored this book if not for the maddening heroine. Kleypas rarely crafted a likable female lead, and this book is definitely on the list for having one of the least likable shrews of the lot. I understand the woman went through hell in the first part of her marriage, but her hypocrisy, deceit, and absolute refusal to be rational or logical at any point in the story had me wanting to beat her to death with one of Hunter's massive erections.
kris
Oct 21, 2014 kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is going to be impossible to talk about without some spoilers...

Lara is a widow and way into charity. Specifically orphan charity, supplemented by busybody charity. Hunter is allegedly her possibly dead husband, back from the dead (maybe)! He is way into: 1) Lara. And thaaaat's about it. He wants to make out on her face! She wants nothing to do with him! WILL THE TRUTH SET THEM AND/OR THEIR BONER FEELINGS FREE?

1) So the big mystery surrounds Hunter and whether or not he's actually who
Caz
This is a take on The Return of Martin Guerre (which was also the inspiration for the film Sommersby), in which a widow is suddenly confronted with the reappearance of her dead husband. It’s been a while since I saw either film, but if I recall correctly in both cases – as in this book – the reader isn’t in on the secret as to whether the returning husband is, in fact, the man he says he is, or an imposter come to worm his way into his ‘wife’s’ affections and establish himself in the local socie ...more
Karen
Jul 05, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
This book holds a special place in my heart because it's the first historical romance I've read. I think maybe the first pure "romance" book I've read, period!

Since there are a lot of great reviews out there for this book, I'll just say that this really awakened my adolescent mind to the beauty of the genre. I didn't get into the genre until a year later, but were it not for the cover having caught my interest as I browsed through the library, I might have never become interested in this fantas
Carolyn F.
Lisa Kay
Really 3 1/2 stars. Not her earliest work, but she had not yet perfected her heroine in this story and uses her in a way that I didn't like to further the plot. But it is neat to see an author grow and improve by leaps and bounds like Kleypas has.
Mancho283
แอบอยากใหสองดาว แตดวยมาตรฐานการอานของเราแทบไมใหเรทเรืองไหนตำกวาสามดาว(ถามันไมไดแยจนเกินไปนักหรืออานแลวไมชอบเรืองแนวนีเอาเสียเลย) ฉะนันเรืองนีกเลยได 3 ดาวไป จริงๆแลวถามวาสนุกไหม เราวามันดีนะ อานเพลินเลยแหละ รวดเดียวจบไดเลย พลอตเรืองหลักๆกโอเค พระเอกดูมีเสนหทีทำใหคนรักเขาได ฉากเลิฟซีนกดูดีเชียว สรุปโดยรวมคือมันดี แต...(view spoiler) ...more
Patricia
Nov 06, 2015 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm just going to go ahead and say POSSIBLE SPOILERS ahead, because I need to write as the SPIRIT MOVES ME, and my spirit has A LOT to say about this particular book.

I would like to start off by saying I truly enjoy Lisa Kleypas' books; generally speaking, they're fun and populated by characters who are mostly likable and oftentimes downright charming. Not so with this book, friends! LET'S TALK ABOUT IT.

The concept of the book is appealing; horrible, selfish and presumed dead husband (Hunter, Lo
Cris
Oct 05, 2015 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regencia
Depois de anos de uma agradável e prazerosa viuvez, Lara recebe a desagradável noticia de que seu marido, infelizmente, está vivo! Parece um pesadelo, e ela não quer voltar a vida miserável que tinha com o falecido, mas o homem que reaparece não parece o mesmo que “morreu”.
Ele está mais magro e mais moreno, mas isso pode ser creditado aos anos que passou na Índia, e o homem também passou por um naufrágio e um bom tempo desaparecido e as coisas parecem fazer sentido. O que não faz sentido nenhum
B&p
ลิซา เคยเพลส เปนหนึงในนักเขียนทีเราชอบคะ ไมคอยมีโอกาสไดดองงานของเธอ ไดมาเมือไหรจะรีบอาน งานเขียนของเธอมันมีอะไรหลายๆอยางทีเราพยายามคนหา คือรูวาชอบ ภาพโดยรวมของแตละเรืองเราชอบ แตยังบอกไมไดแนชัดวาเราชอบอะไรบางในงานของลิซา 555 ไมมีอะไรทีโดดเดนขึนมาทุกอยางมันกลมกลืนกันไปหมด อานแลวมีความสุข อานแลวอิม 555 (เวอรเนอะ)

ในเรืองนีนอกจากความโรแมนซแลว เราชอบนัยทีลิซาแฝงไว ความเทาเทียมกันระหวางสตรีและบุรุษในยุคศตวรรษที 17-18 การสรางตัวละครสองตัวเพือเปรียบเทียบ...พีนองสองสาว ลาราและราเชล ความเขมแขงของนางเอกและค
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Just Wicked Enough (Rogues and Roses, #2)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses #6)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)
  • One Kiss From You (Switching Places, #2)
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • How to Marry a Marquis (Agents of the Crown, #2)
  • Private Arrangements
  • Fool for Love (Duchess Quartet, #2)
  • One Moonlit Night
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

“He turned back to Lara, his alert gaze raking over her tearful face. Somehow the solid reality of his presence eased her panic. He folded her in his arms, anchoring her against his chest, murmuring quietly into her hair.
Sniffling, Lara reached inside his waistcoat until her palm rested over the steady beat of his heart. The sensation of his warm breath sinking down to her scalp me her quiver. It was so terribly intimate, crying in his arms... even more personal than making love. But he had never felt so much like a husband to her as he did in this moment. Quieting, she inhaled his familiar scent and let out a shaky sigh.”
8 likes
“Coming to stand by her husband's side, Lara touched his arm tentatively."My lord," she said gratefully. "Thank you for protecting my sister. Thank you."

He shot her a gaze of hot black intensity. "Thank me in bed," he said, barely audible.

Lara stared at him, startled. "Now?" she whispered, feeling her cheeks prickle with heat. Hunter didn't reply, only continued to stare at her in that alarming way.”
8 likes