Start by marking “Wrigleyworld: A Season in Baseball's Best Neighborhood” as Want to Read:
Wrigleyworld: A Season in Baseball's Best Neighborhood

Wrigleyworld: A Season in Baseball's Best Neighborhood

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In Chicago, the Cubs are a source of hope and heartbreak, not having won a World Series in almost 100 years. But for Cubs fans, "never say die" is a way of life. And Kevin Kaduk is no exception-so much so that in a fit of loyalty to his "Lovable Losers," he quit his job as a sportswriter in Kansas City and moved back to the Windy City on a quest to find the heart and soul ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Wrigleyworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrigleyworld

Michael Frazier
Oct 08, 2014 Michael Frazier rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Gather ‘round and I shall regale you with a tale about a little place on the north side of Chicago. She’s one of the most beautiful things you’ve ever laid eyes on… that is, if you can get over the smell of urine and stale Old Style running through the bleachers.

There isn’t much more to be said about beautiful Wrigley Field that history’s greatest columnists, authors and politicians haven’t already mentioned. “Wrigleyworld” isn’t your conventional “hey I wrote a book about the Cubbies” literary
Gregory O'Neill
May 26, 2013 Gregory O'Neill rated it it was amazing
I read Wrigleyworld by Kevin Kaduk on a flight to Belgium. Boy, was that the fastest flight to Europe I've ever had. His book is positioned right at the intersection of the variant disciplines of writing for books in long form and writing for a blog in short form entries. He basically quit his job as a sportswriter in Kansas to go home to Chicago and follow the 2005 season. It wasn't a prosperous season for the Cubs, but he found a way to make the every day goings on at Wrigley seem extraordinar ...more
Ken
Dec 21, 2015 Ken rated it liked it
This is one of the books I bought at the used bookstore on Dickson St. in Fayetteville. Good read although I didn’t like the author’s crude humor and snarkiness. I liked it because I’m such a Cubs fan. Had some good stories about the Cubs teams of the mid ‘90s. The author took the 2005 season off work to attend every game usually by buying a ticket on the street. Interesting timing to read the book this year when the Cubs made the playoffs. 285 pages.
Andrew Shaffer
Jun 24, 2015 Andrew Shaffer rated it really liked it
If Jack Kerouac Were a Baseball Man...

...ok, he was, but still. Kevin Kaduk "drops out" of the working world (a lackluster sports reporting gig in Kansas City) and moves to Lake View (aka "Wrigleyville"), a Chicago neighborhood, with no ambitions other than attending Cubs games for a season. It's sort of like "On the Road," in terms of its loose style. It's meandering. The sentences are short. So what. I dug it.
Read1000books
Aug 16, 2015 Read1000books added it
Shelves: sports
After reading this book you should be able to:
-name the year the Cubs last won the World Series (hint: it was before you were born)
-name the 4 streets that border Wrigley Field
-identify the following: Ronnie Woo, "Wild Bill" Holden, ballhawks, Steve Bartman, and what announcer has a statue just down the street from Wrigley's main entrance
-name at least 3 or 4 famous Cubs players.
The author took a year off to do almost nothing except watch Cubs games. Baseball fans will enjoy it and for intere
Mickey Mantle
Mar 08, 2009 Mickey Mantle rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute truthful portrayal of the whole atmosphere surrounding the phenomenon that is the Chicago Cubs and the area that has gentrified into a Summer playpen.
It is an absolute joy to read, and I am sure fans in other areas of the Nation still can not comprehend what all this hoopla is all about.
Certain books give the reader an absolute feel for what transpires in some facet of the world where they may never go or have little desire to experience....upon reading a book such as this, s
Chris
Jun 25, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
If you're not a Cubs fan, don't read this book. You'll hate it. Even if you are a Cubs fan, I would be wary. The writer is immature and thinks he's witty, but really is far from it. He bemoans the fact Wrigleyville is such a party place, yet he chronicles just about every drink he had over the summer of 2005. Plus, he's a Cubs fan who says he likes the White Sox. That's like liking both the Yankees and the Red Sox; people like that can never be trusted.
But all in all, as a Cubs fan, it was a qui
Tlt
Aug 08, 2010 Tlt rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports-read
I wanted to like this book so bad, but the book fell flat. Unlike other successful guinea pig tales, I never found myself liking the author or caring one iota about him or his life. He seemed entirely distant about everything, except for the Cubs. I did enjoy the many characters he introduced, but would have liked him to introduce himself in the process. The only commonality I found with him was watching him fulfill one of my life's ambitions. His feeling about the White Sox also did nothing but ...more
Patrick
Feb 05, 2008 Patrick rated it liked it
A fairly accurate book on living in Wrigleyville during the summer. Perhaps sadly accurate, as the author was unemployed for the entire summer. The biggest problem with the book is that the author picked a season where nothing happened in regards to the Cub team. 2005 was a pretty tame year where the Cubs finished under .500. Several of the more exciting instances on the field were skipped over to describe how much alcohol was drank instead. Which, in a way, makes it more accurate.
Kate
Aug 18, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
See, everyone's talking about this book from the perspective of being a Cubs fan. To me, this isn't a book about the Cubs. This book isn't about the Cubs any more than Gatsby is about the 1920s. This is a book about Chicago. And as a born and bred Chicagoan, displaced in Philly, this book made me homesick. Loved it.
Chris
Apr 20, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
This is a great book by a young sportswriter who quit his job to spend a whole season in wrigleyville. Great read for a Cubs fan. I've read it twice and it never gets old. Not a baseball book, talks more about the experience.
Bill
Jul 08, 2008 Bill rated it really liked it
To all the baseball fans out there read this book!!! A fun and humorous look into the world that surrounds the Chicago Cubs and the neighborhood the stadium is in.
Dustin
Jan 06, 2009 Dustin rated it really liked it
A great foray into the neighborhood surrounding Wrigley. Any baseball fan, regardless of what team you cheer for, should read this book.
Katie
Jan 14, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Great book especially since just moved to Chicago / wrigleyville very cool to read about all the bars / players.
Lindsay Eanet
Worth a read if you're a Cubs fan, a Chicagoan or just interested in the way neighborhoods and local cultures evolve.
Micilin O'donaghue
Oct 02, 2009 Micilin O'donaghue rated it liked it
a *must* read during my summer in wrigleyworld! i picked up the lingo and some interesting cubs trivia.
Rob Harris
As a Cubs fan, it gets no better than this.
Lexy
Jan 12, 2013 Lexy rated it liked it
CAN IT BE BASEBALL SEASON YET?
Kathleen
Aug 13, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it
A must read for any true Cubs fan
David
David is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Francis
Francis rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Anthony Sanchez
Anthony Sanchez is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2016
Chaz Weaver
Chaz Weaver rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jim Palmer
Jim Palmer rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Robin
Robin added it
Jan 09, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015