Start by marking “Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)” as Want to Read:
Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)

Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules #3)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The hilarious chapter book series about an accidental rule breaker from Katherine Applegate, Newbery Medal–winning and bestselling author of The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw, returns with a fresh new cover from artist Brian Biggs and bonus material!

It seems like everyone has an award of some kind. Except Roscoe. But a pet-trick contest is coming up, and first prize is a
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog

Terry
This is a great series. Kids can relate to the characters, and parents can see themselves in their "younger days." Riley wears his emotions on his sleeve, so you feel for him when he realizes that he might have made a mistake trading away Grandma's sweater (even though he didn't like it). I also like that there are still consequences for his choices. The story has plenty of laughs and is a story all ages can enjoy. This is an excellent choice for reluctant and transitional readers, as the senten ...more
zapkode.marie
{My Thoughts} – Once again Roscoe Riley is in timeout. This time it’s because he lied to his parents. He wanted to enter a dog trick contest to win a trophy and since his dog goofy didn’t know any tricks, he borrowed someone else’s dog.

He had told his parent that the owner of the dog really wanted his do in the contest. However, that wasn’t true. Eventually he came clean with his parents, but he still ended up in timeout.

I highly recommend this book for any child that is having a difficult time
Christian
Dec 10, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roscoe Riley got himself into timeout again. For some reason he switched a sweater that was made by his grandma for a trained dog to win a trophie in a dog trick contest. Let me tell you the whole story first. Roscoe got home from school and his white dog Goofy comes out and licks Roscoe. Roscoe's mom says that he has a sweater that his grandma knits for him and Roscoe Doesn't like the sweater. Roscoe's mom tells him that the sweater was made with love and it was special. Roscoe didn't like it. ...more
Dolly
Apr 16, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2013
This is the second book we've listened to in the Roscoe Riley Rules series on audio CD. The story is narrated on CD by Jared Goldsmith.

We recognized Brian Biggs's cover art from his Brownie and Pearl series with Cynthia Rylant.

The main character is entertaining and the stories are fun to listen to. I'm not sure how many more stories in this series we'll read, but our girls enjoyed listening to the tale during a lengthy car ride.

This story focuses on telling the truth and being faithful to our
Christina
Jan 31, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loves this series and can't wait to start the next book! It is really getting him into reading and loves the idea of a short chapters book. The fun part is that we both laugh through the book. I also enjoy that even though Roscoe means well, when he makes poor or bad choices there are consequences and that also gives us something to talk about.
Nina
Aug 19, 2015 Nina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Nice children book.
Talia
Roscoe has trophy envy. More than anything, he wants to win a trophy. When he learns about the local pet show, he thinks he might have a chance of winning, but not with his dopey dog, Goofy. The new kid’s dog, Edward, knows a cool trick, and with Edward at the pet show, Roscoe can’t lose! But what about his old, jilted dog, Goofy?

Another cute Roscoe Riley book that will renew your unconditional love for your pet!
Joenna
Roscoe's dog can't do tricks and Roscoe really wants to win a trophy. He has a friend who's dog can read! So Roscoe trades his sweater his grandma made for him (he's glad to rid of that ugly sweater!) for his friend's dog for a dog show.
Toni Pope
Nov 30, 2011 Toni Pope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I preread some of my kids scholastic reading counts books, to try to help them better understand it. This series is definitely one of the very best, these books are great.
Ron
Aug 07, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Beginning chapter book. Roscoe wants a trophy so bad that he'll trade his sentimental sweater to a neighbor so that he can borrow his dog to try and win a contest.
Malissa
Jun 25, 2012 Malissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute early series book! Roscoe is hilarious! I think kids will enjoy getting to know him and all his shenanigans!
Susan
Reading this aloud to my 4 & 6 year-old daughters. They're both enjoying it and keep asking for "one more chapter!"
Kym
Feb 15, 2009 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-nolan
We can't wait for these books to come out. My 6 year old laughs the entire time we read it. Very enjoyable.
Gresham
Great good for 1st-3rd graders. I loved Roscoe, and the writing was clever for an early chapter book.
Christinelbtucker
These books are great for beginning readers who are working on fluency and comprehension.
Nfdiaz
Jan 25, 2013 Nfdiaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good lesson about doing what us ultimately right versus winning.
Meredith
Another great first chapter book!
원선 장
원선 장 marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
C Ryan
C Ryan added it
Jan 31, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Sherrie
Sherrie rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Tiyunna
Tiyunna marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Meredith Estes
Meredith Estes marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Haibei
Haibei rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Sheryl Fessler
Sheryl Fessler rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Medusa Jones
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • The Case of the Missing Family (The Buddy Files, #3)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Homework Hassles (Ready, Freddy!, #3)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Roscoe Riley Rules (7 books)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)
  • Never Walk in Shoes that Talk (Roscoe Riley Rules, #6)
  • Never Race a Runaway Pumpkin (Roscoe Riley Rules, #7)