Start by marking “Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)” as Want to Read:
Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)

Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules #3)

The hilarious chapter book series about an accidental rule breaker from Katherine Applegate, Newbery Medal–winning and bestselling author of The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw, returns with a fresh new cover from artist Brian Biggs and bonus material!

It seems like everyone has an award of some kind. Except Roscoe. But a pet-trick contest is coming up, and first prize is a
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog

This is a great series. Kids can relate to the characters, and parents can see themselves in their "younger days." Riley wears his emotions on his sleeve, so you feel for him when he realizes that he might have made a mistake trading away Grandma's sweater (even though he didn't like it). I also like that there are still consequences for his choices. The story has plenty of laughs and is a story all ages can enjoy. This is an excellent choice for reluctant and transitional readers, as the senten ...more
Dec 10, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roscoe Riley got himself into timeout again. For some reason he switched a sweater that was made by his grandma for a trained dog to win a trophie in a dog trick contest. Let me tell you the whole story first. Roscoe got home from school and his white dog Goofy comes out and licks Roscoe. Roscoe's mom says that he has a sweater that his grandma knits for him and Roscoe Doesn't like the sweater. Roscoe's mom tells him that the sweater was made with love and it was special. Roscoe didn't like it. ...more
Feb 18, 2016 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2013
This is the second book we've listened to in the Roscoe Riley Rules series on audio CD. The story is narrated on CD by Jared Goldsmith.

We recognized Brian Biggs's cover art from his Brownie and Pearl series with Cynthia Rylant.

The main character is entertaining and the stories are fun to listen to. I'm not sure how many more stories in this series we'll read, but our girls enjoyed listening to the tale during a lengthy car ride.

This story focuses on telling the truth and being faithful to our
{My Thoughts} – Once again Roscoe Riley is in timeout. This time it’s because he lied to his parents. He wanted to enter a dog trick contest to win a trophy and since his dog goofy didn’t know any tricks, he borrowed someone else’s dog.

He had told his parent that the owner of the dog really wanted his do in the contest. However, that wasn’t true. Eventually he came clean with his parents, but he still ended up in timeout.

I highly recommend this book for any child that is having a difficult time
Roscoe has trophy envy. More than anything, he wants to win a trophy. When he learns about the local pet show, he thinks he might have a chance of winning, but not with his dopey dog, Goofy. The new kid’s dog, Edward, knows a cool trick, and with Edward at the pet show, Roscoe can’t lose! But what about his old, jilted dog, Goofy?

Another cute Roscoe Riley book that will renew your unconditional love for your pet!
Jan 31, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loves this series and can't wait to start the next book! It is really getting him into reading and loves the idea of a short chapters book. The fun part is that we both laugh through the book. I also enjoy that even though Roscoe means well, when he makes poor or bad choices there are consequences and that also gives us something to talk about.
Roscoe's dog can't do tricks and Roscoe really wants to win a trophy. He has a friend who's dog can read! So Roscoe trades his sweater his grandma made for him (he's glad to rid of that ugly sweater!) for his friend's dog for a dog show.
Reading this aloud to my 4 & 6 year-old daughters. They're both enjoying it and keep asking for "one more chapter!"
Great good for 1st-3rd graders. I loved Roscoe, and the writing was clever for an early chapter book.
Feb 15, 2009 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-nolan
We can't wait for these books to come out. My 6 year old laughs the entire time we read it. Very enjoyable.
Aug 07, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Beginning chapter book. Roscoe wants a trophy so bad that he'll trade his sentimental sweater to a neighbor so that he can borrow his dog to try and win a contest.
Toni Pope
Nov 30, 2011 Toni Pope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I preread some of my kids scholastic reading counts books, to try to help them better understand it. This series is definitely one of the very best, these books are great.
Jun 25, 2012 Malissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute early series book! Roscoe is hilarious! I think kids will enjoy getting to know him and all his shenanigans!
Aidan Manzano
Aidan Manzano rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Annette rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
William rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Nini:) rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2014
anime rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Umba rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Another great first chapter book!
Sg rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Jar rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Nanette Fandino-Diaz
Another good lesson about doing what us ultimately right versus winning.
Kari rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Julia rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Elia rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Matilda rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Hope Gunther
Hope Gunther rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
stephen infantino
stephen infantino rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Apple Orchard Race (Ready, Freddy!, #20)
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey