Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)

Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A trophy for Roscoe?

It seems like everyone has an award of some kind. Except Roscoe. But a pet-trick contest is coming up, and first prize is a big, shiny trophy. Roscoe really wants that trophy--would he even borrow someone else's dog to win?
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog

Terry
This is a great series. Kids can relate to the characters, and parents can see themselves in their "younger days." Riley wears his emotions on his sleeve, so you feel for him when he realizes that he might have made a mistake trading away Grandma's sweater (even though he didn't like it). I also like that there are still consequences for his choices. The story has plenty of laughs and is a story all ages can enjoy. This is an excellent choice for reluctant and transitional readers, as the senten...more
Christian
Roscoe Riley got himself into timeout again. For some reason he switched a sweater that was made by his grandma for a trained dog to win a trophie in a dog trick contest. Let me tell you the whole story first. Roscoe got home from school and his white dog Goofy comes out and licks Roscoe. Roscoe's mom says that he has a sweater that his grandma knits for him and Roscoe Doesn't like the sweater. Roscoe's mom tells him that the sweater was made with love and it was special. Roscoe didn't like it....more
Dolly
Apr 16, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: 2013, childrens, pets
This is the second book we've listened to in the Roscoe Riley Rules series on audio CD. The story is narrated on CD by Jared Goldsmith.

We recognized Brian Biggs's cover art from his Brownie and Pearl series with Cynthia Rylant.

The main character is entertaining and the stories are fun to listen to. I'm not sure how many more stories in this series we'll read, but our girls enjoyed listening to the tale during a lengthy car ride.

This story focuses on telling the truth and being faithful to our...more
Christina
My son loves this series and can't wait to start the next book! It is really getting him into reading and loves the idea of a short chapters book. The fun part is that we both laugh through the book. I also enjoy that even though Roscoe means well, when he makes poor or bad choices there are consequences and that also gives us something to talk about.
Talia
Roscoe has trophy envy. More than anything, he wants to win a trophy. When he learns about the local pet show, he thinks he might have a chance of winning, but not with his dopey dog, Goofy. The new kid’s dog, Edward, knows a cool trick, and with Edward at the pet show, Roscoe can’t lose! But what about his old, jilted dog, Goofy?

Another cute Roscoe Riley book that will renew your unconditional love for your pet!
Joenna
Roscoe's dog can't do tricks and Roscoe really wants to win a trophy. He has a friend who's dog can read! So Roscoe trades his sweater his grandma made for him (he's glad to rid of that ugly sweater!) for his friend's dog for a dog show.
Toni Pope
I preread some of my kids scholastic reading counts books, to try to help them better understand it. This series is definitely one of the very best, these books are great.
Ron
Beginning chapter book. Roscoe wants a trophy so bad that he'll trade his sentimental sweater to a neighbor so that he can borrow his dog to try and win a contest.
Malissa
Cute early series book! Roscoe is hilarious! I think kids will enjoy getting to know him and all his shenanigans!
Susan
Reading this aloud to my 4 & 6 year-old daughters. They're both enjoying it and keep asking for "one more chapter!"
Kym
We can't wait for these books to come out. My 6 year old laughs the entire time we read it. Very enjoyable.
Gresham
Great good for 1st-3rd graders. I loved Roscoe, and the writing was clever for an early chapter book.
Christinelbtucker
These books are great for beginning readers who are working on fluency and comprehension.
Nfdiaz
Another good lesson about doing what us ultimately right versus winning.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
karla mendelson
karla mendelson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ella
Ella added it
Aug 07, 2014
Anya R
Anya R marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jacki
Jacki added it
Jul 09, 2014
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p...more
More about Katherine Applegate...
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)