Start by marking “X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills” as Want to Read:
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills (Marvel Graphic Novel #5)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  5,285 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews

The Uncanny X-Men. Magneto, master of magnetism. The bitterest of enemies for years. But now they must join forces against a new adversary who threatens them all and the entire world besides... in the name of God. One of Chris Claremont's most powerful and influential stories, the partial basis for "X-Men 2," is reprinted here for the first time in years.
Collects Marvel G

Published May 11th 2011 by Marvel (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Alejandro
Outstanding story!!!

This is a graphic novel in the sense that it’s not a TPB collecting comic book issues previously published separately but it has been always published as a whole book. Also, this particular edition includes sketches by Neal Adams who was intended to be the original illustrator for the book, moreover, some interviews with the creative team.

Creative Team:

Writer: Chris Claremont

Illustrator: Brent Anderson

Colors: Steve Oliff

DEUTERONOMY 17:2-5

Why?

Because you have no right t
Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 11: Generation X

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

Now that there are umpteen million versions of X-Men out there in comics, cartoons, movies and just as many spin-offs, it’s kind of hard to remembe
Kee Queen
This is the comic book that inspired some of the important elements featured in the groundwork for the arguably best X-Men film from the first trilogy franchise, X2. This is why reading God Loves, Man Kills will certainly be recognizable to a reader who has seen the said film adaptation first. With a total of sixty-four pages and illustrated by artist John Byrne, Chris Claremont took the task of tackling hard issues such as racial discrimination and religious persecution in this story.

As a lapse
Ronyell
5.5 stars!!!

Early Thoughts:

Lately, I have been reading many “X-Men” comics, especially the ones from the 70s and 80s and I have stumbled upon this unique little story. Since I had heard so many good things about this story, I decided to check it out myself and what I got was probably the darkest, most disturbing, most engaging and most brilliant piece of work I have ever read from any comic! This story is called “God Loves Man Kills” and it was an “X-Men” story written by Chris Claremont al
Stephen
description

God Loves, Man Kills is a must have for anyone that considers themself an X-Men fan. God Loves, Man Kills is probably the most effective storyline about humans fearing the mutants. Ofcourse most of the X-Men books there is the fear of mutants but this has to be the most "realistic" one, William Stryker starts a crusade against mutants. What interesting was to me was how William amassed such a huge following through religious fears.

Stryker sends assassins after Xavier, Storm and Cyclops. The thr
StoryTellerShannon
A 1982 graphic novel dealing with racism. In this tale a religious minister with secrets of his own gets the masses to rise up against the mutants while the mutants somewhat ironically try to approach the problem with reason. As one can expect the affair gets out of hand and superhero tactics ensue. This particular comic influenced the film, X2.
I'd say the mental nightmares for Xavier were the best. A lot of this was above average to somewhat good in story elements. Some of the superheroes had t
Sam Quixote
The Reverend William Stryker and his eugenics-themed team of Purifiers set out to rid the world of mutants in a self-righteous fascistic campaign that has apparently entranced the general public. As Stryker prepares for his Nuremberg-rally-esque speech at Madison Square Garden, he manages to capture the Professor and use his psychic powers to nullify the rest of the X-Men.

God Loves, Man Kills is an embarrassing early 80s effort from Marvel as they allegedly attempt to address racism in this book
Cyndi
Nov 17, 2012 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly good story. Self-contained, but beefed up the mythos well. Some parts seemed overly dramatic and somewhat stereotypical.

The basis of self acceptance and self trust was well played.

One shocker for me, being a first time reader, was the use of the Twin Towers as a torture spot...almost a little too close to home. I so miss those beautiful buildings.
Alex
Feb 21, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the boldest statement in mainstream comics ever written. God Loves, Man Kills breaks the monthly comic format and delivers an extended mediatation on what it means to be one of societies outsiders via the well known X-Men mutant metaphor and it does it with style and power.

A bold statement because there are no enemies here except society itself and Claremont doesn't avoid controversy when he points his finger at the door of either religious intolerance or self-imaging and advertising. O
Paul
OK, finally got around to re-reading it.
My edition was released in 1982, so I guess the first time I read this I was 20 years old... Re-reading it today, 30 years later, I had absolutely no memory as to what the story was, not the remotest bit of memory.
However, it's not every comics that gets to sit on a shelf for 30 years without either being sold, given away or dumped in a 30 year period. So, this must have had some sort of effect as I still had it.

WARNING - May Contain Spoilers...

My current
Nicolo Yu
Nov 01, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
For Halloween book number 3, I picked a graphic novel that is not a horror story. Rather, it is a commentary on the influence of religion, especially Evangelical Christianity, on society, juxtaposed with the race struggle as depicted in X-Men comics.

This is an influential story, if only that it served as the inspiration for the second X-Men movie and the best critically received of the trilogy. This is Chris Claremont at his finest, as he is unencumbered by page size and count and the oppressive
JB
Jan 24, 2015 JB rated it liked it
I expected a lot more of this one. I heard and read a lot about this story and although it was alright, it kind of dissapoints.

Let me start by telling what I did like. I did like the portrayal of Magneto. His grand entrance in Madison Square Garden. I could almost hear the metal squeaking as he tore of the roof. I also liked the way Stryker recited biblical passages in the "appropriate" situations. I didn't like how Professor X was portrayed. Especially in the end. He was a mess, even questioni
Zach Freking-Smith
I think whenever someone tells me that they support Trump, I'm going to hand them this book and say, "This is you. These people in this book are you. Look at your life. Look at your choices."

It's a very gripping, chilling, and real story about a reverend who has all the power in the world and wants to use it to wipe out mutantkind because they "aren't human beings". The scariest part is how many people support him in his crusade against these people. Horrifying.

Check it out, definitely worth th
Aline
Nov 13, 2015 Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
incrível como essa história continua atual e ainda precisa ser aprendida.
Carlos Lavín
I love a good bash against religion. I truly, truly do. I'm just a sucker for them.

This book is 30 years old and, as with any old comic, the art and some of the dialogue do seem very dated. I think the dialogue in comic books (or graphic novels, whatever) suffers more from dating because it's a bit more down-to-earth and colloquial, which makes the language mutations (see what I did there?) more noticeable.

Also, a lot of self-explanation in the dialogue occurs, which can be a bit annoying. I'm s
Nico Chiodi
Apr 13, 2015 Nico Chiodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I love about the X-Men is, as writer Chris Claremont says, that they are the ultimate minority. Hated by humanity because they look different and act different, mutants remain loyal to those who would kill them if they could, and try to talk peace to them. Even Magneto, the X-Men's classic villain, is not un-relatable: he lived through the Holocaust and fears that humanity is planning another genocide on his people: he thinks that if he were to rule, it would be so much better. ...more
Jace
Apr 04, 2008 Jace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
To state it plainly, this book is solid on all fronts. It showcases Claremont at the height of his writing power, when he regularly turned out well-conceived plots with well-written dialogue. Anderson's art is great. The panels are highly detailed and his character work is given a lot of time and attention. The expressive coloring seals the deal.

This is a classic X-Men story that transcends the ranks of mere costumed superhero tales. GOD LOVES MAN KILLS is a scathing social commentary about pre
Trey Jackson
Mar 18, 2012 Trey Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
There's a lot I like about this story, even though it's also got its share of melodrama and overwriting which hasn't aged well. But William Stryker is a great character -- most other anti-mutant demagogues or fundamentalists in comics aren't this fully humanized -- and Claremont of course has a firm grasp on the X-Men. It's also readable without knowing anything about the X-men, and encapsulates the themes, character elements, and superhero elements that have made it an enduring property. And al ...more
Stephen
Feb 22, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel represents the underlying theme of the X-Men comics, racism and tolerance. It presents anti-mutant hysteria fueled by a religious organization led by the crazed anti-mutant bigot Reverend Stryker.

Xavier's dream meets its biggest roadblock with Stryker's plan to kill all mutants. He has much of society on his side after PR campaigns and religious sermons that demonize mutants...particularly the X-Men.

So much of this is relevant today. We have to learn tolerance and not resort t
Logan
May 25, 2015 Logan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best. So in this story, there is a rogue government agency run by William Stryker, called Purifiers, who are hunting and killing mutants. The Book was very controversial for me, as it drew comparisons of the story to racism and even Christianity at one point. The Art was okay. Overall this book was not really that entertaining for me but i see why its regarded as a classic!
Ana
No le doy más estrellas porque no puedo.

Esta novela gráfica es redonda, de principio a fin, y como dice Chris en el prólogo, es una novela gráfica intemporal, citándolo textualmente:

"La ironía de "Dios Ama..." es que fue muy de su momento y de su lugar [publicado en 1982], y sin embargo, casi veinte años después, los sentimientos y la inspiración que le dieron vida conservan su significado. Todavía se juzga a las personas más por el color de su piel, y por su nacionalidad o su origen, y por la
Unai
Oct 23, 2013 Unai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Este mes me he hecho con otro de los fundamentales de la historia del cómic. Esta vez de la franquicia mutante por excelencia, y es que yo no tenía este “Dios Ama, el Hombre Mata” porque entre otras cosas, de chaval tiraba mas por el Alpha Flight de Byrne (vamos que era los que tenía y releía cada 2x3 porque tampoco tenía yo presupuesto para gran cosa). Por los puntos acumulados en mi frikiteka habitual, me salia por 2 así que ya no hay excusa. A decir verdad aunque lo hubiera tenido, segurament ...more
Kevin Mann
Oct 19, 2014 Kevin Mann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is there to say really? Extremely influential work that still continues to fuel ALL X-books, X-movies & all things X in our pop culture. Instead of regurgitating plot, themes, etc, etc, i would prefer to make this about me. When this was released there were no comic book shoppes near me and that really angered me at the time. (This "graphic novel" was not sold in drug stores where i bought my monthly titles!) --I kept hearing about this book and reading marvel bullpen blurbs in the mont ...more
Erin
May 16, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel one-shot is beautifully realised; the writing, the art work, all is haunting and carefully rendered. Chris Claremont is responsible for some of the best and most memorable X-Men stories and this is one of them. It's also the basic plot for X2 so if you liked that movie (which you should've because it's amazing) then definitely give this graphic novel a shot.

Aimed at an older audience than the regular X-Men series and intended to stand alone, God Loves, Man Kills explores relig
Stephen Kelley
Aug 18, 2016 Stephen Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, comics, marvel, x-men
Awesome story, and although it was originally intended to be a condemnation of racism, many can place the plight of Mutants in the X-Men universe with all marginalized groups in the world today. Simply turning on the news or opening a paper lets one constantly see news about religious or political zealots attacking homosexuals, transsexuals, people of other faiths, races and creeds - not much has truly changed since this was written in 1983. I see a few reviewers angry that Stryker is characteri ...more
Ryan
Aug 17, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you needed a model of why X-Men became so popular/relevant in the 1980s, this is it: not flashy art, or huge crossovers, or even super villains to fight. Instead, we have a strong, thoughtful piece of character work that looks at tolerance, group identification, and the changing political and cultural landscape of 1980s America, and how that would be reflected in a superhero setting.

What saddened me, re-reading this book for the first time in over a decade, is how relevant the whole thing sti
Nate
Feb 21, 2016 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como siempre las religiones y sus dioses generando genocidios desde tiempos inmemorables. El odio que me generó el reverendo hizo que este comic mereciece las cinco estrellas. Amo a los x-men y, pobres, siempre tienen problemas de rechazo y represión; pero de lo que iba leyendo no me había cruzado con una trama tan buena como esta. Sí, me faltaba la religiosa y al fin la leí.
Es profundo en muchos niveles. Más allá de darte la trama que en algún momento del comic se esperaba que apareciece, es el
Zachary Henez
Dec 22, 2014 Zachary Henez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Claremont deals with the bigotry and persecution of the mutants in this story. This is a very much an adult story like many graphic novels coming out of the 80's. This story find the current lineup of Xmen teaming up with Magneto to deal with the attacks on mutant kind by William Stryker. Claremont tells a story packed with drama and action that tackles the issue of racism and the use of twisting religion into a tool of persecution. There are some great scenes with Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde. ...more
Owen Watts
Jan 04, 2016 Owen Watts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whereas the colour is quite dodgy in this little pocketbook reprint collection the stories are utterly mesmerising. The solid-but-workmanlike art is nothing special either but it's easy to see why Claremont has the reputation and influence he has (and arguably deserves even more) - his X-Men are addictive. Soapy and melodramatic at times but constantly engaging and characterful.

There is a strong emotional and moral thread running through all stories here which pulls together the hodge-podge col
Rayroy
Mar 23, 2013 Rayroy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An apolitical mustachioed NYPD police officer who just wants to watch the Islanders play the Rangers and not be on crowd control, gets a chance to help the X-Men stop the out of control hate monger Rev. Skryker from bringing on the extinction of the X-Man through a plan using Prof. X and a psi-scan machine that's even too far fetched even for Saturday morning cartoon standards.

Question: What were Annie's powers and how does she not know that she's a mutant till her ears are bleeding?

Question:
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • X-Men: Messiah CompleX
  • The Death of Captain Marvel
  • X-Men: Schism
  • Daredevil: Born Again
  • New X-Men, Volume 2: Imperial
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

Marvel Graphic Novel (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • The Death of Captain Marvel
  • Elric: The Dreaming City
  • Dreadstar
  • The New Mutants
  • Star Slammers
  • Killraven: Warrior of the Worlds
  • Super Boxers
  • The Futurians (The Futurians, #1)
  • Heartburst