Start by marking “Freemasons for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Freemasons for Dummies

Freemasons for Dummies

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Fascinated by Freemasons? "Freemasons For Dummies" is the internationally best-selling introduction to the Masons, the oldest and largest "secret society" in the world. This balanced, eye-opening guide demystifies Freemasonry, explaining everything from its elaborate rituals and cryptic rites, to its curious symbols and their meanings. Find out what goes on in a Masonic me ...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Freemasons for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freemasons for Dummies

Valdeir
This book gives a good overview of the modern history of the craft. Also explains the structure of Freemasonry within the USA and gives a few explanations on foreign Freemasonry. For any one interested to know more about the Freemasons and see that they are not a secret society this is a good book to start with.
Krisette Spangler
This was a basic look at the Freemasons. It cover their rituals, history, and beliefs. I feel like I have a little better understanding of who they are.
Susan
This simple book explains the origin, the philosophy and symbols of the organization. They do not reveal their initiation process other than that the new member has to be invited to the group. Many have thought the Masons are a cult but mind you they have been around for hundreds of years. Even George Washington and other significant figures in the early settlement years of the United States were members of this so called secret society. It is called a secret society because not just anyone can ...more
Art
An excellent, in-depth book on Freemasonry. You'll receive a crash course in Masonic history from 1000 B.C. until today, discover what goes on in a Masonic lodge, get the lowdown on differences between York Rite and Scottish Rite masons, and learn about ten amazing conspiracies, anti-Masons, and hoaxes. Appendix A contains The Regius Manuscript and Appendix B contains Anderson's Constitutions. This book is a pleasure to read!
Mike Walters
If you want a generally favorable treatise on the history of the Freemason movement, this book adequately fulfills that need. The book is written from that perspective and does a good job at it. There is a short chapter called "myths and misconceptions" which addresses such figures as Albert Pike and the influence of Eliphas Levi on his writings. Critics of the organization will probably find it inadequate, and those favorably disposed will probably find it sufficiently explained.

The rest of the
Peter Henriques
The book was decent. However you must be mindful that books written in reference to freemasonry only put out what they want you to know & understand. Inside the Masonic lodge they swear numerous oaths not to reveal the secrets to those who are unworthy. The birth place of freemasonry began in Kemet(Egypt) but not only that freemasonry teachings & practice is rooted in the death of an original man by the name of Haram Abiff who was a master builder & such rituals like this symbolicall ...more
Tammy
I thought it was uninformative, and contained allot of rubbish information. For anyone truly interested in its orgin's and principals do not waste your time.
Tyler Anderson
Not a life changing book, but an extremely readable one. Good reference, reasonably laid out, with concepts clearly (if cursorily) explained. That's the m.o. of the Dummies series. Recommended for quick reference, or for someone who wants a very thin into to Freemasonry, but doesn't want to spend much time on it.

Loses points for saying, a couple of times, that Freemasonry was born from stonemasons' guilds. You know, those chisel-happy fanatics that made you swear under pain of extraordinary for
Stacy
Our book group tackled the subject of Freemasons, so this is one of the books I read for information. The book was well written and informative but I didn't give it more stars because the subject matter was just okay. I didn't have a burning desire to know everything about Freemasonry but this covered the topic in detail and answered everything from conspiracy theories to prominent Freemasons throughout history. We had an interesting discussion as well.
Barry
Great book for dummies....I feel that Hodapp and others are part of a group that want to lay all things bare and take away all the mystery from the Order. I'm not saying that ALL victorian era writers on the Craft were correct in their admittedly outlandish assumptions....but some of it is really subjective, isn't it? It was a little too much "in your face". It's like the kid in grade school that told you there really wasn't a Santa Claus.....he may be right, but he's still a dick.
Kenn Anderson
Full of interesting facts and written in a very entertaining way. Did I learn a lot? No, I am a Master Mason. Did I learn a little? Yes, there is too much Masonic history for one to learn in just a few years.

This book is a very good first look at Masons and for me, it is a great reference.
Royce
Great intro to Freemasonry, for Masons and non-Masons alike. Written for the very simple, but offers a great outline of the Craft. While most Masons will learn little about things in their own Lodges and work, they may learn things about International Masonry that they don't know.
Ju
366.1 Never knew a single thing about the Masons and I learned a lot. This book covered what it is, the history of it, how it works, and a thought or two on where it's headed. Also includes lists of famous members & cool Masonic places. Info on lodge locations in an appendix.
Ryan Mercer
Chris did a great job writing this book. He knows his stuff, did it tastefully, and didn't feel the need to lie or stretch truths to sell some book copies. He doesn't speculate, he just gives it to you how it is. Great book to learn about the craft for brothers or outsiders!
Amys
Everything you want to know about Freemasonry without giving away any secrets. The author even gives a spoiler warning for anyone who is thinking of becoming, or about to become a Freemason. History and symbolism explained and illustrated nicely. A great reference book.
Joshua
If you're interested in Freemasonry, this book has it all. History, current structure and hierarchy of the Lodge, and even a myth or two! Definitely a MUST READ for anyone interested in joining the fraternity or with questions about what Masons do, why, and how.
Rob
It's a great book on the history, facts, myths and the structure of something I new little about. All around very informative.

My only question is can one person (the author) speak for a fraternity of millions?

Grant Talabay
I'm a very active Freemason, dedicating shelves to the study of this grand fraternity. However, this is an awesome go to guide for answers to all your questions about the Masons. Very handy book!
NC
This guy has a chip on his shoulder. This was very dry, lots of history. Other for dummies books I've read had a lighter touch and more humor. This was a disappointment.
Kevin
A great resource for new and old Masons. I loved this book, and it will be an invaluable resource for years to come.
P. Es
hands down one of the best introductions to The Craft and ancillary bodies.
Nancy
still checking into it, read most of it and keeping it as a reference
Colin
Excellent book that introduces Freemasonry to the general reader.
Leland
Really informative, definitely cleared up some misconceptions I had.
Rashad
Rashad marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • Mormonism for Dummies
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Vegetable Gardening for Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • British History for Dummies
  • Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies
Christopher L. Hodapp is the editor of the "Journal of The Masonic Society." He is the author of the best-selling "Freemasons For Dummies," and "Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C."

He is the co-author with Alice VonKannon of "The Templar Code For Dummies" and "Conspiracy Theories and Secret Societies For Dummies."

He has appeared on the History Chan

More about Christopher Hodapp...
Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C. Conspiracy Theories & Secret Societies for Dummies The Templar Code For Dummies Freemason Symbols and Ceremonies For Dummies Deciphering the Lost Symbol: Freemasons, Myths and the Mysteries of Washington, D.C.