Start by marking “Alamo House” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The sorority sisters of Alamo House at the University of Texas may be at comic odds with each other, but at least they have one thing in common: They all hate the fraternity rats across the street, the Sigma Upsilon Kappas—aka the SUKs. But amid the collegiate turmoil, Alamo House is also the scene of an extraordinary, endearing friendship among three women: Mary Jo, hilar ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published May 14th 2009 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Alamo House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alamo House

Mary
Aug 20, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
What I loved (and love) about this book is that it so goddamn funny. Yes, in a lot of ways it's kind of a revenge fantasy about female nerdettes getting back at a bunch of obnoxious, sexist frat rats. But it is an extremely entertaining read, and I especially loved the parts about the heroine working at the LBJ library. What I really love about this author, though, are her hilarious word choices and figures of speech:

A couple of great quotes:

"Our job was to sort through the Johnson Social Files.
Rob Del Rio
Nov 01, 2012 Rob Del Rio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Bird's wit shines in this rag-tag assembly of characters intent on dignifying the plight of female graduate students surrounded by animal house frat boys and less than noble suitors. Ms. Bird must have lived through the 80s college scene. The crazy characters and "Keep Austin Weird" legacy that abounds around the UT campus had me laughing chapter after chapter. Now, twenty plus years later, you can still witness the evolution of weekend college excess on Austin's Sixth Street, originally t ...more
Jenny
Mar 07, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not sure if I will finish this book or not. The main character has been describing another girl as fat, gross, etc. As someone who has battled weight for most of my life it just pisses me off. Yes, she's overweight, we get it. She puts lotion on her 'hamhock hands' and it grosses out the main character. Seriously??? All the characters are over the top weird cliches. I may end up finishing it just to see how it all plays out.

Ok, I did finish this and I'
steffie
Apr 01, 2007 steffie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of cliches. I'm partial to it, though, because I was also stuck processing in the stacks at LBJ Library. Bird has got that place DOWN.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Fiona
May 31, 2012 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, texas
Fun book to read.

The synopsis on the book jacket states this is about "the sorority sisters of Alamo House at the University of Texas". Alamo House is not a sorority in the panhellenic sense. It is a group of graduate women living together in a university coop, and, in the general sense they do have a friendship, a sisterhood.

This setting of Alamo House is loosely based on the life of the author when she lived at Seneca House at University of Texas during 1974 - 1975. Seneca House has greatly ch
Kaela
Apr 02, 2013 Kaela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
This is not the type of book that I would read on my own accord. It was part of our book club reading, and so anything negative that I have to say about it mostly comes from the point of view that it's really just not my thing.
With all that being said, I don't hate the book. To me, it felt a little pretentious & a little cliche. I went to college, and while I do remember having a certain outlook on life, I'm pretty sure I never talked the way that this narrator talks about the world. I real
Katherine
Jan 23, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had just about forgotten about this book - and that is considering I'd done volunteer work at the LBJ Library when I was in UT Library School and could truly identify with it. If asked, I would have told you I liked it - but couldn't remember a thing about it. I picked it up again, in Audible form, because I was looking for other things read/voiced by Danielle Ferland, who did Ysabeua Wilce's Flora Segunda, which I love. Ms. Ferland is again superb - though if I really close my eyes tight enou ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A slow start to a short book, but I am glad it finally picked up. I was nervous that this would be another poor review. Alas, the book picked up speed.

I am not a fan of her writing, she used some unecessary words - not obscene just too big for the cheeky chick lit plot the book had. I had a difficult time with her over using expressions and comparisons.

The characters were over the top, but definitely entertaining. It made me remember those college days being surrounded by everyone your own age a
Melissa
Feb 08, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texas
Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. And if I had known a good portion of the book was set in the stacks of the LBJ Library, the museum nerd in me would have picked it up a lot sooner. Loved, loved the theory that "Bird" really ran the White House.
Story of a grad student living in co-op, across the street from the worst fraternity ever. Oh, and the usual looking for love and looking for self and all that stuff. Some of the characterizations were spot on--Fayrene cracked me up.
The act of final reve
L
Oct 20, 2012 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A librarian bud recommended this author, and this book in particular, to give me another perspective on Texas culture. This book is set with the Alamo House sorority sisters at the University of Texas, and in a comical way, details their chaos and torment by the Sigma Upsilon Kappas (aka SUKs)fraternity across the street. Two of the main characters are employed at the LBJ Library, where they are archiving Lady Bird's mementos (which is a side story that contributes to the overall plot). It was a ...more
Sharmyn (Lumsden) Lilly
Hysterical! If you attended the University of Texas, have lived in Austin, or just love to laugh out loud, read this book immediately.
John Orman
Nov 28, 2014 John Orman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The subtitle of this book is "Women without Men, Men without Brains." That portends the sassy irreverence you will find in this comic novel about female friendship in college. It is a kind of lowlife female version of "Animal House."

The trashy escapades of three gal pals are portrayed here, culminating in a campus war pitting Alamo House, a domicile for graduate women, against the fraternity across the street.

A truly tequila-laced story of hilarious southwestern hi-jinks!
Candice
Apr 12, 2008 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Bird took over Kinky's column in Texas Monthly when he left to run for Governor, so clearly she's a character. Alamo House was her first book, but my favorite. The story centers around a group of female grad students (the dykes) who live across from a UT frat house (the SUKs). It's an easy read and the characters are funny and quirky-- great for book club, especially if you have any Texans.
Angie
Half decent. I would never ever have picked this book up, but it was forced on me. Really pretty decent characterization, but the second half was a bit too much Revenge of the Nerds and the part with the governor seemed just a tad unlikely. Anyway, pretend this is still a good review for the book, since I would have absolutely hated it otherwise.
Amanda R
Wasn't as impressed with this one. It was supposed to be one of those "wickedly funny" books, but I just felt that the sarcasm and wit was forced and was a little overboard. I guess I like more subtlety in humor. Things got lost in the humor attempts. Still, it was an easy book to finish despite that.
Nancy L.
Oct 25, 2007 Nancy L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like Florence King
I believe the subtitle is "Women Without Men, Men Without Brains." Loved this when it first came out - I need to reread to see if it still holds up. I love that her main character worked as a flunky processing collections @ the LBJ library.
May 16, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was very funny....she got the frat rats right, she got the LBJ library right, she got coop life right. Light hearted and fast, fun read. She even had Club Foot in there.
Marie
Apr 11, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another fun read from Bird--this time about an eccentric bunch of female grad students who live right across from a wild frat house and wage war on them...great story of female friendship.
Sue
May 12, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this when it originally came out and loved it. Its set at the University of Texas (and has some really funny sections involving working at the LBJ library).
Kim Villarreal
Dec 14, 2008 Kim Villarreal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! I just loved Sarah Bird's character development. I also found myself laughing out loud all through the book. I'm sad that the story had to end!
Debdanz
Feb 02, 2012 Debdanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to borrow this via ILL bc WCPL doesn't own it; it was a blast from the past-- female grad students, Austin Texas, mid 1980s... like being there again.
Ju
Nov 17, 2008 Ju rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I went to Austin to visit my friend Lisa, she not only recommended this book, but she gave me her copy. I like people who give away books.
Colleen Pence
Feb 02, 2008 Colleen Pence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Sarah Bird's, "The Mommy Club." This one takes place in Austin and got me hooked from the first page. Misfits join forces to fight frat boys.
Christie
Dec 27, 2011 Christie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of only a handful of books that I just can't finish. I wanted to like it but yet it sits untouched after months.
Kristen
Mar 03, 2012 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some interesting UT and Austin elements in it, but other than that, not much for me.
Shannon Kelly
I loved the setting (I miss Austin!!), and it was funny with a satisfying ending.
John
Jun 22, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I read the whole thing. But very funny in parts. Early chic lit?
Christine
Amusing and easy read. Probably more amusing for Texans and those who went to UT.
Dec 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, fiction
Living in a woman's co-op at the University of Texas across from a fraternity.
Akins Hollis Engl...: SSR 1 2 Oct 28, 2011 12:15PM
Akins Hollis Engl...: SSR 1 1 Oct 07, 2011 12:14PM
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Love Is a Wild Assault
  • Goodbye Without Leaving
  • Repossessed
  • Sister Mischief
  • The Time It Never Rained
  • Man and the Natural World: Changing Attitudes in England 1500-1800
  • Sleuthing the Alamo: Davy Crockett's Last Stand and Other Mysteries of the Texas Revolution
  • The Train to Estelline
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Biography
  • Ten Little Mummies
  • Second Draft of My Life: A Novel
  • Kubla Khan: A Pop-Up Version of Coleridge's Classic
  • The Last Guru
  • Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets
  • Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle (Landon Snow, #1)
  • Emiko Superstar
191417
"Above the East China Sea"
My previous novels are:
Boyfriend School
Mommy Club
Virgin of the Rodeo
Yokota Officers Club
Flamenco Academy
How Perfect Is That
The Gap Year
I've been a columnist for Texas Monthly for the past eight years.
Awards include a Dobie-Paisano Fellowship; a National Magazine Award; Elle Magazine Readers Prize; People Magazines Page Turners; Barnes & Nobles Discover Gr
More about Sarah Bird...