Over Her Dead Body (Bailey Weggins Mystery #4)

Over Her Dead Body (Bailey Weggins Mystery #4)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,538 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Talk about rapid turnover! In a matter of days Bailey Weggins has been axed from one New York magazine and hired by another. Her new job at Buzz, a weekly filled with sizzling gossip, has Bailey covering celebrity crime. Bailey doesn't have to look far for her first big story when she finds her boss, Mona Hodges, gasping her last breath after being bludgeoned with a blunt...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Over Her Dead Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over Her Dead Body

Magpie67
Need a good sleuthing mystery that will keep you on your toes until the very end? This is the series to do just that with a little spice and multiple dead bodies all in the name of revenge, jealous rage and getting even. Bailey Weggins a free lance crime writer, is always finding herself in danger when she begins a story that has a dead body involved. She has the knack to find and ferret out the clues. This, of course, makes her a target even when she may not have all the clues to point a finge...more
Jenn
Think of this as "murder mystery light". Tastes ok, and less filling.
Bailey Weggins is our one-dimensional, bland, forgetable crime reporter/NYC tourguide/wanna-be Nancy Drew. She is determined to find the murderer of her "Devil Wears Prada"-esque boss, who may or may not have been killed by recently fired Robby Hart (um...when did he lose his gig as The Wedding Singer?).
I tried to really like this book. It had everything I thought I would like...a headstrong female who doesn't need a man, a my...more
Lauren Fidler
around page 275 of this "novel" (and i use that term generously, out of love), i had an epiphany. these books are terrible. i mean, like really, really bad. the writing at times is stilted, the plots convoluted, the characters whorish and cardboardy. and you know what? i love them. i do. i love them for their trashiness, for their refusal to be anything other than what they are, for being my newest smut-lit crush.

yes, i just coined that genre.

bailey is back, this time with a new job!!! she work...more
Shystrummer
Chris
This book started out good, then kinda dragged, but got better. I don't' think it was as good as the previous ones

THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
The series to do just that with a little spice and multiple dead bodies all in the name of revenge, jealous rage and getting even. Bailey Weggins a free lance crime writer, is always finding herself in...more
Marie
I just recently discovered this series of 'Bailey Weggins' mysteries, this book being number four. I absolutely LOVED this series. It is a light mystery read and this suited me just fine as I grew a little tired of some of the over the top, extremely graphic murder mysteries I had been reading. One critic describes this series as "Nancy Drew meets Sex and The City" and I fully agree. This series has a refreshing, contemporary feel with a murder mystery thrown in. I enjoyed Bailey's sharp, sarcas...more
Linda
Would-be authors are often advised to "write what you know", and former Cosmopolitan magazine editor Kate White has done just that with her series featuring Bailey Weggins. In Over Her Dead Body, Bailey has just lost her job at Gloss and lands on her feet with a new one as crime writer for a celebrity rag. She's happy to have it, despite warnings from a co-worker about what a *itch her new boss, Mona, is. But someone bashes Mona in the head, and Bailey's assigned to write an on-the-scene article...more
Linda
This is the fourth book in Kate White's Bailey Weggins murder mystery series, and although I enjoy all her books, this has been my favorite so far. Set in the busy office of a celebrity gossip magazine, Bailey once again finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery when her boss is bludgeoned in the head. Everyone is suspect since none of the staff, Bailey included, liked her. Kate White always keeps me guessing in her novels until the killer is revealed, but this time, I had an inkling who i...more
Frank
library mp3. Listened to the end. Enjoyable depiction of the New York guilty pleasure magazine scene. Nice twist on the Perils of Pauline ending where the heroine is menaced by the villains. Reader was pretty good, including an upper midwest accent for one of the characters.
Crystal
Bailey Weggins finds herself in another murder mystery. In this book Bailey finds herself working at Buzz, a gossip magazine, covering celebrity crimes. After Bailey finds her new boss, Mona, dead at the Buzz headquarters, Bailey must figure out who the killer is before the killer decides to make Bailey the next victim.

I read the first Bailey Weggins novel and thought I would like to the rest of these books but I was not impressed with this book. I had to finish the book just because I wanted t...more
library goddess
Not a page turner but I had to keep reading because I was certain that I had the killer spotted early on. I was wrong. A few loose ends in bailey's personal life but I'm certain those will be tied up in future books.
Kayla
This book may be for a more mature audience but it is very interesting. It is a mix of comedy, romance, mystery, and tragedy. The main character Bailey works for magazines doing crime articles. When she first starts off working for buzz magazine, she finds herself in the middle of an investigation that is both nerve-racking and intense. Most parts of the book made me keep turning the pages wanting to know what was next while other parts were not as interesting and that is why it only has 4 and 1...more
Phyllis
I really enjoy this series. Bailey Weggins is a great character. Find yourself really routing for her.
There are changes at Gloss and Bailey needs to find another freelance job that pays. She hears about a job writing crime stories at Buzz, a celebrity magazine, from her friend Robby. She isn't there very long when Mona Hodges, the editor, is murdered. Suspects abound because Mona was hated by so many people and there was a party at the magazine next door the night she was murdered. Bailey begins to investigate to write up her story for the magazine. I will read the next Bailey Weggins mystery, b...more
Danni
Aug 18, 2014 Danni is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Library ebook.
Julie Lavalle
This book was good but I did not enjoy as much of some of Kate White's other books.
Lindsay
I've tried reading this book a few times before and always quit because it puts me to sleep, but then I'd always think about it and how I should give it another try. So I really did force myself to finish it this time. I like the main character but I can't like a mystery novel when the person who dies is someone everyone hated. That's no great loss. I'll still check out the other books in the series, hopefully they will be more exciting.
Denise
Overall, I liked this book and the main character. I was sometimes a little disappointed with her language and choices, but the mystery part of the story was good. I'd be interested in reading other stories by this author,especially a follow-up to this book, as I believe it is part of a series. It gave some interesting information about the magazine world that I didn't previously know. Kinda chick lit, but I prefer that sometimes.
Stacy
Bailey is a tough thirty-something divorcee living in Manhattan with a fun and feisty personality. She’s like a big city Nancy Drew.

I’ve listened to two of this series on cd and really liked them, but this one was missing something for me. It was still good, but Bailey felt a little tired. I had no idea who did it until the very end, which was good, but the end didn’t really wow me after the multitude of possibilities.
Gail Mclinn
Have gotten this as a book on CDs to listen while on a long car trip. It's definitely a woman's book, my son was not interested in listening and glad we didn't after the first CD, because it definitely gets more girly. It's good for my commute back and forth to work. It was a fun listen, but not very substantial. It is a good way to engage while driving, but surely not a book I would probably pick-up to read.
SlushTurtle
I picked this up for some vacation reading. I was astonished throughout the book that it actually made it to publication. It was like reading Cosmo, only it had turned into a trite detective novel. Then I got the end and found out the author is the editor of Cosmo. Ahhh... that explains so much. If you are trapped in a hotel room somewhere, I guess you could go ahead and read this. Otherwise, steer clear.
Alethea
Witty, with snappy dialogue, and a unique insight into the world of magazine publication, Bailey Weggins is at it again as she stumbles upon her dying boss at Gloss, the new magazine where she works as a free-lance writer. Bailey's investigations test her reporting skills and provide a quick and fun read in this effort by Kate White, former Cosmo editor. An entertaining beach or vacation read.
Rhonda
The preface for this is about a crime reporter, Bailey Weggins, is hired at a trendy magazine, but then has to start investigating the murder of her boss. There are many suspects and I actually did not figure out who the killer was until the end of the book. there are three other books in this series worth checking out: A Body to Die For; Till Death do us Part; and If Looks Could Kill.
Beate
This book starts off with a bang. Bailey gets fired, gets a new job working for a bitch, and finds the said bitch dead less than 3 chapters into the book.

I have to say, I did not see who the real murderer was. Usually I can tell early on - but this time I didn't see who it was until I was reading who it was. Very good! Can't wait to get my paws on other Kate White books.
Stefanie
I am workin quickly through this series. These are not gripping/edge of your seat mysteries....I am not chewing my thumbnail or quaking in my boots, but they are the light, entertaining reading I'm looking for during my spring break. They fit the bill of what I'm looking for, so they receive a higher rating than they may merit if put against a grittier mystery.
Melanie
This is probably more of a 2 1/2 - I love her books, they are totally fun and breezy mysteries, great atmosphere, etc. But the ending on this one? SO LAME. I was so into the rest of the book and I was all excited to figure out whodunnit, and then, it ended. And it was disappointing and fell flat and I felt kind of cheated by the last couple pages.
Mary Newcomb
Bailey Weggins is a great character—sassy, skilled and inquisitive with the right amount of team-player spirit. This mystery involved a much hated editor found dead in her office and a cast of suspects. The ending was unexpected, the ride was interesting and the new potential boyfriend is intriguing. All in all, a great summer read.
Gene Rios
It was just as hilariously wonderful now as it was the last time I read it! I really like Bailey as a character, and while many would consider Kate White's writing to be too formulaic, she throws in some surprising plot twists and peppers a few spicy moments for the slingback-clad heroine! Definitely a must-read series!
  • Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #2)
  • The Key (Rachel Benjamin, #3)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Lullaby And Goodnight
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1)
  • Shelly Laurenston Bundle: Big Bad Beast, the Mane Event, the Beast in Him
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4)
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
Kate White is the New York Times bestselling author of nine works of fiction—six Bailey Weggins mysteries and three suspense novels, including her latest, EYES ON YOU. For fourteen years she was the editor in chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, and though she loved the job (and the Cosmo beauty closet!), she decided to leave in late 2013 to concentrate full time on being an author.

Her books have recei...more
More about Kate White...
If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #1) The Sixes A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #2) Hush 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)