Silver Canyon

Silver Canyon

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,069 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A TROUBLED TOWN, A DEADLY SECRET

“You’re not wanted in Hattan’s Point,” Matt Brennan was told moments after arriving in town. “There’s trouble here and men are picking sides.” But Matt decided he wasn’t going anywhere. Not until he found out what the dispute was about, and not before he got to know Moira Maclaren. She considered him nothing more than a drifting ranch hand,...more
Published October 1st 1957 by Bantam (first published October 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Canyon

Jessica
This was a hard book to rate because I loved it! but it may have been because it was just what I needed. I haven't really read many books like it - it's a mass produced western that you would probably find in the grocerie store next the romance novels. It's like a dudes version of a romance novel. It was classic.

Given to me by a friend who is definately a westerner and raised that way, these are his favorite books, and I think I liked it more because of it.

It's dangerous, dramatic, and talks abo...more
Faith
Dec 31, 2013 Faith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dudes, Grandma
Recommended to Faith by: my husband
Shelves: reviewed
Silver Canyon was my first foray into the world of Louis L'Amour. My husband is a fan and I generally think he has good taste, and the book was slim and looked like an easy enough read. Overall I have to say I enjoyed the book and was glad I read it. L'Amour does a great job of establishing a plot and moving the story along. Normally I don't care much for action scenes but I liked the way he wrote them -- straightforward and concise. They weren't gratuitous and they didn't drag on for pages, whi...more
Tim
Louis L'Amour is the man's Danielle Steele
Ryan Mishap
(Gwen's Diary):
Watching Roland sleep while the wagon plods on he doesn’t look like who he is, like the boy approaching a ring of men standing around that poor creature and Roland desperately hoping he’s acting like a man. I could tell he’s trying too hard, even through the binoculars, just like he did back home and Mother would sneer knowingly and Father would give a frown and Roland misses the first and is disappointed by the second.
A moment alone and I waste precious ink, paper, and, most pr...more
Melissa Bishop
This is the second western I have read. Both are books by Louis L'Amour. No vampires, emos, wolves, witches, spells or wizards here. Just good, grown up reading. With all the hype over fictional characters with super powers, it's nice to read about people making their way without the aid of the supernatural. Remember when our heroes used to be cowboys? Remember when a man was as good as his word and right and wrong were clearly defined? Neither do I. Which is why I'm reading westerns.
Harry Lane
In some ways, a typical L'Amour western; a lone man riding into a situation not of his making but being the catalyst for much action. But better than average on account of a touch of amusing romance and a superior plot.
D.P. Prior
My first foray into the genre, and purely because L'Amour was a big influence on David Gemmell. I see that influence clearly -- the setting up of rivalries and conflicts, the types of setbacks facing the hero, and the tidy and satisfying denouement. I also like the succinct descriptions and the easy blend of narration and dialogue. Characterization is strong -- minimalist in terms of description, but masterful in that the reader gets a clear picture from the hints, mannerisms and dialogue.

There...more
Bobbi
I discovered that this is one of L'Amour's early books that I hadn't reviewed and probably not read. After 5 pages I discovered I had indeed read it but not rated or reviewed the book. I actually finished the reread of the book, because I all for easy books.

The story is a pretty typical L'Amour tale with lots of L'Amour events: gunfights, scraggly inhospitable land, fist fight, pretty girl that has some sand, and a reason to stand and fight. I couldn't help but think of the differences of the Wi...more
Peyton Anderson
Silver Canyon was a very good book, I really enjoyed it. I like how the setting takes place in southern Utah as well. That helps me picture the scenery a lot. I really like the plot even though most Louis L'amour books are basically thhe same. I would recommend this book for everyone. Theres a lot of action and it never really gets boring.
Raymond Fleer
This book was very good. The book was about a gunslinger coming into a town where there was fighting going on between three ranches. After he was there, he knew he had to stay because he saw the girl of life that he wanted to marry. He went to the one ranch where he was against the two main ranches. The rancher died so he took over the ranch. Along owning the ranch, he dealt with gunslingers, thieves, and many other obstacles. After he took care of all those he finally owned the ranch for good a...more
Michael Mckinney
just another good western by Louis L'Amour.
Kevin C
This was the first Louis L'Amour book I've ever read and I loved it. The story is told in first person and I felt like I was riding right along side our hero all the way. I was hooked by the second 'page' on my kindle. The action never let up and the characters were believeable. I highly recommend this book if you're curious about reading a western without commiting yourself to hundreds of pages. It's not a long book, but it'll leave you satisfied and longing for the great outdoors!
Justin Hill
Mmm. . . it was ok. I'm not particularly a fan of Westerns, but I wanted to read one to see what I was missing out on. I found it pretty cliche, but then I figured Louis L'Amour probably came up with the original material that everyone else turned into cliches. The fist fights and main plot were enjoyable, the romantic subplot much less so. I guess I find it hard to believe that rootin' tootin' cowboys would fall in love at first site and get all mushy and want to settle down.
John
I decided I wanted to read pulpy western novels on my vacation in the west, and this turned out to be a pretty good choice in that regard. A lone gunfighter rides into town, and right into the middle of a ranch feud, falls in love with the daughter of one of the ranchers, has gunfights, rides around on his horse, plans on settlin' down with his ladyfriend. It's exactly like an old forgettable B movie western that would be on TV on a Saturday afternoon.
Erin
This novel is based of an earlier serial novel that L'Amour had written that is titled "Riders of the Dawn." I really liked "Riders of the Dawn" and was disappointed in this one. He changed the main characters name from Matt Sabre to Matt Brennan, for some reason. I didn't like the plot changes. I would recommend the serial novel over this one. The serial novel is published as a stand alone novel or it can be found in "The Trail to Crazy Man"
Nicolas
I don't know what it is about Louis L'Amour novels, but I find them enjoyable and relaxing. Despite the similar settings of many of his novels, the characters are unique and interesting. The basic premise of Silver Canyon involves a land dispute between 3 different groups and the wanderer who comes in and tips the scales. It was a good adventure story that also included elements of romance and mystery. Very good. Such a fun read.
Darla
(Genre:Fiction/western) What can I say? It was a classic L'Amour story. At one point, I told my husband "This is just like the last L'Amour we read together--you know, where the old lady is trying to keep her ranch against the bad guys who are determined to have it!" And my husband responded that most L'Amour books have a similar plot lines. But they are still fun to read, especially when vacationing in the wilderness. :)
Fredrick Danysh
Matt Brennan rode into Hattan's Point looking to move on. As soon as he enters town the leaders of two different sides approach him to hire his gun. Matt is willing to keep going to avoid trouble, but then meets the beautiful Moira Maclaren and decides that he is going to marry her. When Moira's father is killed, Matt is caught square in the middle of a range war.
Lee
Classic L'Amour novel where the good guy prevails. The story entertains and has enough twists and turns in the trajectory that the reader wants to know what will happen between the first encounter between the guy and gal to the final reunion of the destined couple. Above all Louis L'Amour is a good storyteller.
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages.
Shelves: western
Great western, L'Amour does it again.
Tom Hames
A fiery young gunfighter gets right in the middle of a land war so he can settle down and marry the girl of his dreams. This one is full of action and colorful characters. I couldn't help but like it.
Griffin
Apr 07, 2008 Griffin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to shoot stuff
Recommended to Griffin by: My late Grandpappy
I read this in sixth grade. My Grandfather was a big Louis fan and so were a lot of my friends at the time. I think it's the only ol' West book I've ever read...but I remember it being a good read.
Kniephof
Liked it! Especially since I spent some time in canyonlands while reading this. Made me relate to the general landscape of l'amour books. I was excited to read this each night.
Brian
Another bubblegum western from the most prolific western writer of our time. Mr. L'Amour can take you back to the time of the early west like none other.
Eric Schwartz
I was looking for an easy non-fiction read and have always enjoyed Westerns so I gave Lous L'Amour a try. This was a fun, easy, well-told story.
Courtney
First good'ole Western book I ever read. I liked it and it really worked well with the class I was required to read it for.
Edward
Kinda formulaic, but good descriptions of the desert country and an easy, quick read not requiring a lot of attention.
Julie
Lots of action but not much character development or story. Pretty typical of westerns, I hear.
Erin
Great fast paced western! really exciting. Good solid "good guys, bad guys". I highly recommend it!
  • Desert Gold
  • Hombre
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Shoot the Woman First (Crissa Stone, #3)
  • Breakheart Pass
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods