Start by marking “Silver Canyon” as Want to Read:
Silver Canyon

Silver Canyon

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,506 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A TROUBLED TOWN, A DEADLY SECRET

“You’re not wanted in Hattan’s Point,†Matt Brennan was told moments after arriving in town. “There’s trouble here and men are picking sides.†But Matt decided he wasn’t going anywhere. Not until he found out what the dispute was about, and not before he got to know Moira Maclaren. She considered him nothing more than a driftin
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published October 1st 1957 by Bantam (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Canyon

Faith
Dec 30, 2013 Faith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dudes, Grandma
Recommended to Faith by: my husband
Shelves: reviewed
Silver Canyon was my first foray into the world of Louis L'Amour. My husband is a fan and I generally think he has good taste, and the book was slim and looked like an easy enough read. Overall I have to say I enjoyed the book and was glad I read it. L'Amour does a great job of establishing a plot and moving the story along. Normally I don't care much for action scenes but I liked the way he wrote them -- straightforward and concise. They weren't gratuitous and they didn't drag on for pages, whi ...more
George
Aug 01, 2015 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
"Εκδίκηση", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Δέκατο τρίτο γουέστερν του Λουίς Λ'Αμούρ που διαβάζω και αυτό με την σειρά του μου πρόσφερε δράση και όμορφες εικόνες. Ο πρωταγωνιστής και αφηγητής της ιστορίας, Ματ Μπρέναν, ένας περιπλανώμενος καουμπόι, βρίσκεται σε μια πόλη και εκεί θα γνωρίσει τον έρωτα της ζωής του και θα αποφασίσει επιτέλους να στεριώσει σ'ένα μέρος. Όμως πρώτα θα πρέπει να βρει μια άκρη στον πόλεμο που έχει ξεσπάσει στην περιοχή ανάμεσα σε μεγάλους γαιοκτήμονες και να ανακαλύψει κάποια μυστικά π
Jessica
Feb 15, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was a hard book to rate because I loved it! but it may have been because it was just what I needed. I haven't really read many books like it - it's a mass produced western that you would probably find in the grocerie store next the romance novels. It's like a dudes version of a romance novel. It was classic.

Given to me by a friend who is definately a westerner and raised that way, these are his favorite books, and I think I liked it more because of it.

It's dangerous, dramatic, and talks abo
Tim
Jun 04, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Amour is the man's Danielle Steele
April
Jan 15, 2017 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a lot!
Ryan Mishap
(Gwen's Diary):
Watching Roland sleep while the wagon plods on he doesn’t look like who he is, like the boy approaching a ring of men standing around that poor creature and Roland desperately hoping he’s acting like a man. I could tell he’s trying too hard, even through the binoculars, just like he did back home and Mother would sneer knowingly and Father would give a frown and Roland misses the first and is disappointed by the second.
A moment alone and I waste precious ink, paper, and, most pr
Chad Perrin
Jan 11, 2016 Chad Perrin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I have read very little L'Amour -- three books, including this -- with years between them (and I think I read them in reverse chronological order of authorship), but the writing of these books was also separated by many years, and three may not be many but it is enough to get a strong sense of what makes L'Amour tick. The subtlety of his authorial voice is in its flavor, and not in its themes, after all.

I had completely forgotten the things that set L'Amour's writing apart from the many other au
Ken Schloman
This is typical Louis L'Amour. Good, but typical plot and story line. What makes most, if not all of his westerns good reads was his ability to describe --show but not tell-- settings. He provided enough detail to allow the readers imagination to fill in the picture in his or her mind. This is the trait all great writers have. Must for western fans.
Ed
Jun 12, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, western
Typical western action of ranchers fighting for access to water. But this time there's a joker in the deck. Someone is secretly stirring up the ranchers, but he's after more than water.

Western - "You're not wanted in Hattan's Point," Matt Brennan was told moments after arriving in town. "There's trouble here and men are picking sides." But Matt decided he wasn't going anywhere. Not until he found out what the dispute was about, and not before he got to know Moira Maclaren. She considered him not
D.P. Prior
Jun 24, 2013 D.P. Prior rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first foray into the genre, and purely because L'Amour was a big influence on David Gemmell. I see that influence clearly -- the setting up of rivalries and conflicts, the types of setbacks facing the hero, and the tidy and satisfying denouement. I also like the succinct descriptions and the easy blend of narration and dialogue. Characterization is strong -- minimalist in terms of description, but masterful in that the reader gets a clear picture from the hints, mannerisms and dialogue.

There
Bobbi
Jun 19, 2013 Bobbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, 2013-read
I discovered that this is one of L'Amour's early books that I hadn't reviewed and probably not read. After 5 pages I discovered I had indeed read it but not rated or reviewed the book. I actually finished the reread of the book, because I all for easy books.

The story is a pretty typical L'Amour tale with lots of L'Amour events: gunfights, scraggly inhospitable land, fist fight, pretty girl that has some sand, and a reason to stand and fight. I couldn't help but think of the differences of the Wi
Paul
Oct 13, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: louis-l-amour
My 10th Louis L'Amour book this year in my project of reading them all in publishing order. This was the 2nd book of his originally published in 1956.

The hero of this story Matt Brennan rides into the town of Hattan's Point and forms a partnership with a ranch owner named Ball who's land is being fought over by the two other large ranches in the area.

Thrown into the mix is the daughter of one of the opposing ranches that Matt falls in love with, a young brash gun fighter, and a mysterious third
Raymond Fleer
Jan 31, 2013 Raymond Fleer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. The book was about a gunslinger coming into a town where there was fighting going on between three ranches. After he was there, he knew he had to stay because he saw the girl of life that he wanted to marry. He went to the one ranch where he was against the two main ranches. The rancher died so he took over the ranch. Along owning the ranch, he dealt with gunslingers, thieves, and many other obstacles. After he took care of all those he finally owned the ranch for good a ...more
Melissa Bishop
Jul 17, 2014 Melissa Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is the second western I have read. Both are books by Louis L'Amour. No vampires, emos, wolves, witches, spells or wizards here. Just good, grown up reading. With all the hype over fictional characters with super powers, it's nice to read about people making their way without the aid of the supernatural. Remember when our heroes used to be cowboys? Remember when a man was as good as his word and right and wrong were clearly defined? Neither do I. Which is why I'm reading westerns.
John
Apr 14, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided I wanted to read pulpy western novels on my vacation in the west, and this turned out to be a pretty good choice in that regard. A lone gunfighter rides into town, and right into the middle of a ranch feud, falls in love with the daughter of one of the ranchers, has gunfights, rides around on his horse, plans on settlin' down with his ladyfriend. It's exactly like an old forgettable B movie western that would be on TV on a Saturday afternoon.
Darla
Jul 17, 2013 Darla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Genre:Fiction/western) What can I say? It was a classic L'Amour story. At one point, I told my husband "This is just like the last L'Amour we read together--you know, where the old lady is trying to keep her ranch against the bad guys who are determined to have it!" And my husband responded that most L'Amour books have a similar plot lines. But they are still fun to read, especially when vacationing in the wilderness. :)
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 Nicolas rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
I don't know what it is about Louis L'Amour novels, but I find them enjoyable and relaxing. Despite the similar settings of many of his novels, the characters are unique and interesting. The basic premise of Silver Canyon involves a land dispute between 3 different groups and the wanderer who comes in and tips the scales. It was a good adventure story that also included elements of romance and mystery. Very good. Such a fun read.
Erin
Oct 13, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-amour
This novel is based of an earlier serial novel that L'Amour had written that is titled "Riders of the Dawn." I really liked "Riders of the Dawn" and was disappointed in this one. He changed the main characters name from Matt Sabre to Matt Brennan, for some reason. I didn't like the plot changes. I would recommend the serial novel over this one. The serial novel is published as a stand alone novel or it can be found in "The Trail to Crazy Man"
Justin Hill
Mmm. . . it was ok. I'm not particularly a fan of Westerns, but I wanted to read one to see what I was missing out on. I found it pretty cliche, but then I figured Louis L'Amour probably came up with the original material that everyone else turned into cliches. The fist fights and main plot were enjoyable, the romantic subplot much less so. I guess I find it hard to believe that rootin' tootin' cowboys would fall in love at first site and get all mushy and want to settle down.
Kevin C
Jul 24, 2011 Kevin C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Louis L'Amour book I've ever read and I loved it. The story is told in first person and I felt like I was riding right along side our hero all the way. I was hooked by the second 'page' on my kindle. The action never let up and the characters were believeable. I highly recommend this book if you're curious about reading a western without commiting yourself to hundreds of pages. It's not a long book, but it'll leave you satisfied and longing for the great outdoors!
Peyton Anderson
Jan 05, 2014 Peyton Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silver Canyon was a very good book, I really enjoyed it. I like how the setting takes place in southern Utah as well. That helps me picture the scenery a lot. I really like the plot even though most Louis L'amour books are basically thhe same. I would recommend this book for everyone. Theres a lot of action and it never really gets boring.
David Ward
Feb 03, 2010 David Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns, fiction
Silver Canyon by Louis L’Amour (Bantam Books 1957) (Fiction – Western). Stranger Matt Brennan rides into Hattan's Point and is immediately told that he is not welcome there. He stays, though, and meets a beautiful woman who needs rescuing. This is the typical Louis L'Amour formula. There's nothing new to see here, so move along. My rating: 5/10, finished 1994.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 07, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Matt Brennan rode into Hattan's Point looking to move on. As soon as he enters town the leaders of two different sides approach him to hire his gun. Matt is willing to keep going to avoid trouble, but then meets the beautiful Moira Maclaren and decides that he is going to marry her. When Moira's father is killed, Matt is caught square in the middle of a range war.
Lee
Nov 07, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic L'Amour novel where the good guy prevails. The story entertains and has enough twists and turns in the trajectory that the reader wants to know what will happen between the first encounter between the guy and gal to the final reunion of the destined couple. Above all Louis L'Amour is a good storyteller.
Jeremiah Baker
Sep 22, 2014 Jeremiah Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was a good book because it is a western book and i like them kind of books and it talks about how he travels the west and how he settles down in a war zone and he dose not no that he is in a war zone and read the book to find out what happens.
Tom Hames
Apr 09, 2009 Tom Hames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fiery young gunfighter gets right in the middle of a land war so he can settle down and marry the girl of his dreams. This one is full of action and colorful characters. I couldn't help but like it.
Launette
Oct 10, 2016 Launette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this book! Louis L'Amour is one of the greatest authors ever!
His writing transports you into the west. You feel the wind in your hair; you hear the birds singing in the trees.... ALL time favorite author!
Barb Innes
Jul 28, 2015 Barb Innes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it...! After reading Helter Skelter..this was just what I needed. A real western...with romance and thrills & good versus bad. I will continue to sprinkle his books throughout the year just because..I love the OLD WEST tales and loved my cowboy boots...
Jacob Hoffman
This book is great. Its a typical western, with a typical no-nonsense tough guy hero, and a typical setting. Typical describes this book perfectly, as it is way too generic. It reads out more like a western fan-fic then a respected piece of literature.
Harry Lane
In some ways, a typical L'Amour western; a lone man riding into a situation not of his making but being the catalyst for much action. But better than average on account of a touch of amusing romance and a superior plot.
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • The Family Jensen (The Family Jensen, #1)
  • The Law at Randado
  • Dance on the Wind
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...