Start by marking “Her Own Rules” as Want to Read:
Her Own Rules

Her Own Rules

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  743 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Meredith Stratton worked hard to become a successful businesswoman—and now she owns six elegant inns all over the world. But on a trip abroad she is struck by a strange illness, one that seems to have no physical cause. Meredith has always played by her own rules—and won—and now she must uncover the roots of this mystery ailment that threatens her future happiness. The ans ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Avon (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Her Own Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Own Rules

Carol Storm
For years I'd seen her books lying on the shelves, and wondered what they were like. So finally I checked out HER OWN RULES by Barbara Taylor Bradford from the library.

I was hoping for something steamy and scandalous, like a powerful older woman who sleeps with much younger men, does shots of whiskey, wears jeans, rides motorcycles . . . you know, her own rules.

Uh . . . no.

Meredith has a bunch of inns she runs around the world. Apparently they are massively successful because she's a real gen
Kathy
Barbara Taylor Bradford may never equal the excellence of her Emma books, but she is a good author and writes a good story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this engrossing story about a lost past found.
Sheena
Barbara's writing is easy to understand yet so descriptive that you can't help but form an image in your mind. Absolutely loved the twists in the story. Could hardly wait to get to the end!
Kristen
This is a nice story about bed and breakfasts and the family secrets that come out for Meredith, when she has a strange illness. A good love story!
Dede Payne
Decent book without alot of dirty words.
Leticia

Great vacation book.
Debby
Debbie
Barbara Taylor Bradford is one of my favorite authors. This novel reinforces this view. Meredith Stratton was a successful mother and business woman, but inside she was a sad woman who kept the details of her childhood a closely guarded secret. In fact, she herself remembered only part of it. She had grown up in Australia, at first in an orphanage and later with her loveless, detached adopted parents. As an adult, she goes to England on business and finds herself near the remnants old an old Abb ...more
Sheila Judson
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

I pretty much read this book in one sitting, but not because it was awesome - rather, because it was just a light novel, although with an attempt at deep characters and an intricate plot. Yet, I did not feel any depth in it. A good beach or airplane read.
Heiderworld
Meh... listened to this in the car to and from work. OK
Tamara
Jun 28, 2015 Tamara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Her own Rules by Barbara Taylor Bradford takes us into the life of Meredith Stratton, a woman who has endured a difficult life with an unknown past. Throughout her life she has felt a loss, but cannot quite figure out what it is. As time progresses things start to happen in her life that help her to find her answers. I thought it was an interesting book, which at times was lengthy in plot. I almost felt as if there was quite a bit of filler in the book. However, at the end I thought it was a goo ...more
Alisa
Not the best of hers that I've read. The relationship Meredith has with the Silvers is odd and one wonders what exactly was the purpose of having that particular set-up as opposed to a different sort of relationship for Meredith. While the novel is built around a serious subject (children sent from orphanages in England to Australia), we don't get into much detail of that; it serves mainly as a backdrop. The characters are a little too perfect, the search for Meredith's history a little too easy ...more
Salome Ndoro
It was easy enough to read, but not an exciting book. I found that the way people conversed seemed a bit too formal.
Zoe
Her Own Rules is the first of Barbara Taylor Bradford's books that I've read, and I didn't think that it was the best written book, though it was easy to read and quite involving. The storyline is very moving, though I did feel at the beginning that it took a while for the story to actually start. Overall, it was a good book and I would consider reading one of Barbara Taylor Bradford's other books.
Jeri
A successful businesswomam Meredith Stratton, knows nothing of her past until she is struck by a strange illness which apparently has no physical basis. Set in England and New York mostly, the story of how she delves into her past with the help of a psychiatrist and finds herself.
I generally like this author but this book was not her best.
Kim
I bought this in audio at a garage sale. I had it in my car, so when the MP3 player ran out, I popped this in. Staying iwth it was very, very difficult. So much fluff. But, sticking with it, because I had nothing else, it did improve a bit. Just not my thing.
Kellie
Great book! Its been a bit since I've read this book but I do remember I enjoyed it. I always thought she was a little too mushy for me till I tried her and now I grab all her books when I find them.
Laine
a very moving story of how meredith finally reunites with her past and looking forward to her future with luc. a very nice story and for me it shows how strong meredith is, definitely girl power.
Vicki
I liked this book. It had a very strong female character that the story revolves around. Even though she was a strong character, she still had her trials to go through, just like we all do.
Berna
It is a very emotional book, some parts brought tears to my eyes. I liked the heroine very much and cared for her through the book.
Emily
Sep 27, 2008 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily by: Barbara Lund
This is an "I'm on an airplane with nothing else to do..." kind of book. Not literary genius, but not bad either.
Marianne
Interesting plot, kept me reading, but (in my opinion) a simplistic style of writing was off putting.
Jencey/
Nov 15, 2008 Jencey/ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Okay
I read this book a while ago. It was one of the first by Barbara Taylor Bradford that I read.
Stephanie
Typical cheesy, romance pocketbook. Given to me by a friend, but so uninspired a story...
a woman who found her own way, made her own life. blocking out the parts that was worst for her.
Joanne
It was slow to start but very emotional when it finally got into the story.
Shermi Perera
Aug 31, 2008 Shermi Perera rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shermi by: a friend
i like this book. the story is well written and interesting to read.
Niki Byrne
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't the best I've read.
Debbie
Pure fluff, but a love story so I enjoyed it!
  • The Other Side Of Love
  • The Golden Cup
  • The Heartbreaker (Maker, #4)
  • Sentimental Journey
  • Lovers
  • Sea of Lost Love
  • Whirlwind
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Winter Folly
  • The Adventures of the Great Brain (Set Of 5 Books)
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • A Ruling Passion
  • The Sleeper
  • Eloise
  • Anyone but Him
  • The Gillyvors
  • Dark Angel
  • Impossible
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2) To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)

“Never let stress shape your strategy. Most women think better after a brisk walk, a light meal, a massage and a nap.” 25 likes
“A person with taste is merely one who can recognize the greatest beauty in the simplest things.” 16 likes