Start by marking “To Be the Best” as Want to Read:
To Be the Best

To Be the Best (Emma Harte Saga #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,998 ratings  ·  40 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Barbara Taylor Bradford has captivated millions of readers with her sweeping saga of power, wealth, and family secrets. Now the legacy of matriarch Emma Harte lives in one woman’s inspiring challenge to be the best…

DRIVEN BY LOVE
Paula McGill O’Neill learned the lessons of success from the master—merchant princess Emma Harte, her grandmothe
Published October 4th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about To Be the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be the Best

Joanne
Memories of "Woman of Substance" led me to pick this one up from my mum's bookshelf, but after 50 pages I gave up. None of the characters had engaged me by then, and the plot didn't either. The lengthy and seemingly pointless detail about clothing and decor was still there though.

I enjoyed the first book about Emma Harte, but this one doesn't live up to her legacy unfortunately. I don't like writing negative reviews but in this case, I'm not worrying that my humble opinion will damage BTB's sal
Bookscmc
I was anxious and excited to pick up this book to continue the saga.

Still the first of the trilogy, A Woman of Substance, rings true as my favorite of them all.

I did enjoy this one though as well.
Mirah W
Good book in the series about Emma Harte...but, I think Woman of Substance is the best of the series.
Karen Babb
The Harte Family bats all their runners in!!

I Love family epics! This book filled all my expectations! Barbara Taylor Bradford is a pro with these novels!! I plan to read the entire series with hanky in hand. The characters are so real, you will mourn them for a long while, but just when you think you can't possibly take anymore. Along comes the next generation for you to fall in love with and cheer on!
Joanne Heim
Im so glad to discover this series so many years after i first read a woman of substance! Ill begin the next book tonight!
Patti
This was the 1st book of her's that I have read. It was the last book of a trilogy. I felt like I hadn't missed anything. Well written, well laid out with the characters. Lots of foreshadowing, but lots of unexpected surprises with the characters. I loved it.
Sue
Third in the 'Woman of Substance' series. No doubt urged by the publishers, but little to say. A book of little substance, other than ultra-dull flashbacks to the previous novels. Fast-paced (if one skips the flashbacks) with characters who are flat and lacking emotion, just hard-headed and ambitious. The ending was better than the rest of the book, hence two stars rather than one.
Kathie
I'm sorta over the prolific abundance of detail in Bradford's writing and the romance novel genre but continue to be interested in the characters and how Emma's extended family continues her legacy. Light entertaining fast reads. On to #4 in the saga.
Kristen
Although this book is in the middle of the saga series, this is a great historical romance and family saga, when cousin marries cousins, all heirs in a family business. I'm also reading Hold the Dream, that I'll finish this weekend and will start Unexpected Blessings this weekend. I'll read the rest in between next year. This has lots of drama, passion and intrigue.
Anne Marie

Loved this third book in the series too. I really want to buy the movies! Still noticed a lot of drinking, and also wanted to mention that it still bothers me that Anthony and Emily had to marry their cousins. Is this an English thing? Is this normal? I think new characters or existing non-relative characters should have been used. Off to the next book!
Emma
A have to read (in that you want to know what happens next) if you have read the two pre-quels to this. However, too corporate, too much of remixing what's happended before.

Still a good read bu not as good as the other two. After this she should have stopped.
Kelly
A Woman of Substance was great, Hold the Dream was good, To Be the Best was OK. It gets repetitive, the same litany of attributes are listed again and again. It is no where near the level of writing enjoyed in A Woman of Substance and I found it to be disappointing.
Marianne
Have enjoyed this series. Bradford does a masterful job of describing the interior decorating of the rich and famous. Sometimes a little too much, but over all I've looked forward to continuing to follow her characters.
Connie
I really liked this one that centered around Philip and his new wife. As well as Paula and Shane. I was sorry to see that Sandy (Alexander passed away). Glad to have an end to the murder that took place in Ireland though.
Pilbara Girl
Loved this one.

Can't believe how many bad things happen to this family! The ending really left unfinished business, so I imagine certain people will return in the book or two.

Pratibha D.H.
The title remains permanently etched in my mind like a reminder that is "To be the best." A very beautiful novel but feel sad for the tragedy that strikes Paula's brother Philip here.
Janet Santos
It was a wonderful book. A great example of the power of women in our corporate world! love it! But i just wish there was a movie series of this book, it'll be great!
Kitty
An engaging story of a strong woman who has to fight to keep her place. You really pull for this likeable character and stay engaged throughout.
Joanne
I love all of this series of books. Learning about the customs of upper class Englishmen in addition to the events of the story, make it fascinating.
J
Another great book. This is book 3 of the series. I accidentally read them out of order but still great! Just wanted me to read more from her.
Drburchill
If you loved A Woman of Substance you will be very disappointed in this book. If you didn't read the previous books in this series you will be lost.
Shannon Bradley
This whole series is so compelling and it draws you into the lives of every one of the Harte family and friends. Even the ones you dislike.
Ray
This was a great storyline. It stands alone even though it is part of a series. Looking forward to reading more of them.
Tanya Richter
Paula continues to head the Harte empire, faces near failure and bounces right back with the help of a trusted family member.
Raechelle Thomas
Think DYNASTY people! A book you read when on an airplane-or just don't feel like thinking.
BBBTerri
Very good recreational read. If you loved woman of substance, you'll love this one also.
Manuela
Forse l'ultimo buon libro della troppo abusata saga di Emma Harte.

Stasy
Better than Hold the Dream, but not nearly as good as A Woman of Substance.
Terri
excellant read great story line of the harte family
Catherine_b
An excellent conclusion to the Harte family saga!
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Deceptions
  • Queenie
  • Tapestry
  • New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • For My Daughters
  • Thurston House
  • Lace
  • The Wingless Bird
  • Mermaids Singing
  • Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 25 bestselling novels, including Playing the Game, Breaking the Rules, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Wom ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4) A Sudden Change of Heart

“She put her hand in his, and he clasped it firmly, knowing he had been waiting for her all his life.” 17 likes