Sword of the Gods: A Forgotten Realms Novel

Sword of the Gods: A Forgotten Realms Novel (The Abyssal Plague)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  9 reviews
What you don’t know will kill you...

Demascus awakens surrounded by corpses, at a shrine littered with traces of demonic rituals, with no memory of his past. But the Firestorm Cabal remembers him—and the demon who leads them seems to have a personal vendetta against him. Dodging knives, uncovering clues left by his past life, and dueling demons, Demascus must figure out who...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published March 21st 2011)

Robert
Disclaimer-If you read the review and feel there is a spoiler in it, please let me know and I will remove that section. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Sword of the Gods by Bruce R. Cordell is the first book to bring the Abyssal Plague to the Forgotten Realms. The next book about the Abyssal Plague is Shadowbane by Eric Scott de Bie.

Sword of the Gods begins as a mystery when Demascus awakes to find himself naked and surrounded by dead bodies and a demon with no...more
Stefan
Sword of the Gods is the second installment of The Abyssal Plague series but the first set in the Forgotten Realms. I have not read the book in the series, The Temple of Yellow Skulls by Don Bassingthwaite, but it did not not detract from the reading experience.

The main character, Demascus, wakes to find himself in a strange place with no memory of who he is nor where he came from. The story unfolds as he slowly finds out more of his past and begins to wonder if he is better off not knowing who...more
Travis
Sword of the Gods by Bruce R. Cordell

Sword of the Gods is a stand-alone novel set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons and Dragons. This book also ties into The Abyssal Plague trilogy, but isn't part of the trilogy. The actual The Abyssal Plague trilogy is set in the Dungeons and Dragons self-titled novel line. The trilogy consists of The Temple of Yellow Skulls by Don Bassingthwaite, The Oath of Viligance by James Wyatt (due out in August 2011), and The Eye of the Chained God by Don Bas...more
Pierre van Rooden
Ryan
A greatly refreshing novel by Bruce R. Cordell. I loved every minute of this book, and truth be told if I hadn't been with my girlfriend I absolutely would have finished this in a single sitting without any breaks for anything.

The story takes some old writing cliches (like the main character have amnesia)and uses them refreshingly. The book follows Damascus and his misadventure that results in quite the interesting read.

The characters were highly realistic, the humor was witty, the action was ex...more
Jaime
Let me begin by saying that I am not a D&D fan. It’s not that I have anything against Dungeon’s and Dragon’s, but I never got into it. The thing I loved most about this book, especially since it is the second in a series, is that you don’t have to be a D&D fan or know anything about the D&D universe to enjoy this book.

Our hero Demascus has amnesia. Brilliant. He doesn’t know who he is or much about the world, and neither did I. So we learned together. With the aid of Chant a honest a...more
Brian
Really kind of disappointing. No real ending and yet I don't think the other Abyssal Plague books deal with these specific characters. I hadn't read a "new" Dungeons and Dragons novel in ages and now I am sad I started with one that was only okay. I checked the other books in the series on Amazon and there is no mention of the characters in this novel. I really feel like Black Library's Warhammer books have surpassed D&D novels. That is really tough for me to say since I love Dragonlance and...more
Bryan Schmidt
Well written and entertaining. Not at all what I expected from my first Forgotten Realms. A delight. Good characterization. Fun adventure. An enjoyable stand alone read for sword & sorcery fans.
William Miller
great book! Excellent character development and nonstop action...
Jake Goodwin
Jake Goodwin marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Przemyslaw
Przemyslaw marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
James Kiely
James Kiely marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kitty
Kitty added it
May 26, 2014
Michaella Reed
Michaella Reed marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Joshua Forrest
Joshua Forrest marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Maddy Jeffers
Maddy Jeffers marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 10, 2014
Laemy_tbr
Laemy_tbr marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Bruce enjoyed six years of biotech research while pursuing his biology degree, and for three years after achieving it. But realms of the fantastic were never far from him. Bruce’s freelance game design for various online multiuser text games ultimately landed him a design position at Wizards of the Coast.

Instead of coding online multiuser D&D games, he found himself designing traditional role...more
More about Bruce R. Cordell...
Psionics Handbook Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying) Underdark (Dungeons & Dragons d20 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Accessory) Expanded Psionics Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement) Lady of Poison (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #1)