Start by marking “The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson ” as Want to Read:
The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  841 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Anita Thompson. The Gonzo Way. [Golden]: Fulcrum, [2007]. First edition, first printing. Twelvemo. 112 pages.

Anita Thompson pays tribute to her late husband as a writer and as a citizen, through her own words and those of who knew him best. With elegant prose and entertaining anecdotes, she reveals a Hunter Thompson who was much more than a mere embodiment of sex, drugs,

Publisher's Binding, First Edition, First Printing, 112 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Fulcrum Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Gonzo Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gonzo Way

Leah
Jul 06, 2008 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: bootstraps
To put it simply, there is something for everyone to like in this book.

Published in 2007 by Anita Thompson, the late wife of Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, the book is at once a memoir, advice book (I purposely avoid that phrase 'self-help' here), mission statement, and, for Anita Thompson, a way to exorcise the demons she has been dealing with since Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide in 2005.

So first, the aspect of memoir. Even those who were suspicious of young Anita Thompson's 'inte
Andrew Lenards
Aug 10, 2007 Andrew Lenards rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for solid lessons to live your life by...
After reading this grear account of Hunter S. Thompson and the lessons he taught his young wife, Anita Thompson, I've started to take a good long look at the tenets that guide my life. You may not find it to be the best book - but the core lessons she's discussing are valuable... part of the message was an attempt to debunk the view that Hunter was just a drug-crazed, gun-toting lunatic. He was a genius that never stopped learning - and a man that had a large community of life-long friends. I wa ...more
Brian Krans
Jan 07, 2013 Brian Krans rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful piece of work. Anita Thompson, the widow of the great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, took the loss of Hunter and continued sharing his legacy. With the seven lessons of Gonzo, she crafts a wonderfully beautiful love letter to not only her late husband, but to his legion of fans and others who choose to live the Gonzo lifestyle. She explains who The Doctor was, far beyond Fear & Loathing, Mrs. Thompson takes us inside Owl Farm and the life Hunter lived away from the cameras. We ...more
Shawn
Apr 08, 2008 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I've long been skeptical of Anita Thompson and her role in the late-HST's estate. I didn't know her the way I knew Thompson from his writing, so in my mind I thought of her as just some gold-digger who at least gave the good doctor some sex now and then.

This book completely changed my perspective. In it, Anita Thompson emerges as an advocate for what I regard as "pure" HST -- stripped of the hypercaricature. Early on she correctly admonishes those who read HST for the drug references and advises
Kme_17
I received this a first read. I really enjoyed this book. I definitely learned more about Hunter Thompson from this book. The author put a lot of interesting things in this short novel. I did find it interesting to read this from his widow who definitely used this book to work through her thoughts. That is why I found it interesting you could almost see the process she was going through.
Audrey
Nov 12, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those curious about the late Hunter S. Thompson
In this concise volume, Anita Thompson gives us a glimpse of her time with The Good Doctor and father of Gonzo journalism, and distills his thoughts on living into seven essential lessons. I found some of these lessons to be more motivating than certain self-help books I've read.

Having met Anita in the Pitkin County Library and considering the immense influence her late husband had on this community, I thought this title would be a good starting point for this online group.

Note: Die-hard Gonzo
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the gonzo spirit
A slim, sweet ode to HST from his wife. Not really heavy hitting or deep, but there are lots of fun stories about Hunter and the life lessons he taught Anita during their few years together. I was hesitant to read it initially, mostly because I wasn't sure what to think of Anita- much younger, only with Hunter for the last few years of his life- and now writing a book about their experiences smacked of trying to cash in on his fame. However, she comes across as genuine in her adoration of the Do ...more
Josh
Feb 23, 2010 Josh rated it liked it
I found this book mostly superfluous, light on content and little more than a tribute to the late HST. However, that said, it does make a nice colelctor's item as it has a very pleasing hardcover binding and wonerful caligraphy marking each chapter and chapter segment. The book mostly exposits on what Anita saw as Hunter's philosophy on life. I didn't find it preachy, so I'll give it that. I can't attribute it as much more than a collector's item though because of it's short length. For the pric ...more
Karen
Dec 06, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical, gonzo
A heartfelt account of Anita Thompson's time with Hunter, this book concentrates on the time since they met until after his death. It shows a unique perspective on the good ol Doctor and his ways and is very, very different to anything else I've read or watched about him. I can see why it might prove unpopular with hardcore HST fans, but I felt this account humanised him from the self confessed character he became to a lot of people. Definitely worth a read.
Paul
Aug 10, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I met Anita about a week and a half ago at a local independent bookstore here in downtown Denver. I got my book signed and all that good junk, but what really got to me was how she still talked about Hunter, and was willing to talk to me a little more about him after everyone had left. She is a great person and this book is an excellent little Gonzo handbook. I think hunter would be proud to have this book next to his on the bookshelves.
Pam Mooney
Oct 05, 2015 Pam Mooney rated it liked it
I do think a wife can contribute to her deceased husband's legacy for her love is a part of his passion for life and his work. Who would better know the man than his intimate confidant. I loved the tales and life lessons of Dr. Thompson told through his widow's eyes. I enjoyed the book so much and for this HST fan getting one more opportunity to partake and discuss. A good read.

Bill
Aug 20, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing
Wonderful tales and life lessons from Hunter S Thompson as told by his young widow.
Not every HST fan will appreciate the more lucid stories and advice - likewise some of those who are not fans of Hunters famous drug fulled musings will love this little gem. The litte red book of Gonzo.
In short: buy the ticket, take the ride. You will not regret it.
Andy
Dec 07, 2010 Andy rated it liked it
Mostly a curated collection of quotes about the late great Gonzo himself. Interesting perspective into his non-public side, but I think it fails to live up to the preface and introduction which claim it will delve into his forays in philosophy.

Read the whole book between 2:30 PM and 10 PM, mostly while waiting for my car to be towed.
Jenn
Apr 18, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Being a rather obsessed HST fan, I jumped on going to watch Anita Thompson lecture at a bookstore in Denver. You could feel the emotion in her voice and how writing this helped her cope. An interesting view into the life of HST how Anita knew him and the life lessons that she learned and is trying to carry on.
Chrisy
May 03, 2011 Chrisy rated it did not like it
Hunter's wife attempts to capitalize on his death in this meandering drivel by glossing over everything that made him a visionary, attempting to idealize him, and all while regurgitating a crap imitation of his writing style.
Terri
Jan 03, 2008 Terri rated it liked it
Recommended to Terri by: james kelly
While not a great book, it did remind me of a few of life's lessons. If it isn't fun, you're not doing it right and life should be lived loudly and without explaining yourself. Good enough.
Amberly
Apr 22, 2008 Amberly rated it liked it
A little thin, but a good companion for any H.S.T. fan. More than anything, it shows how committed his wife Anita is to his memory and sensibility.
Sandyhilliard
Jul 09, 2008 Sandyhilliard rated it really liked it
I got this for my birthday and read it in one sitting. Anita didn't have enough time with Hunter S. but she certainly understood the core.
Travis French
Jun 04, 2015 Travis French rated it it was amazing
I love the work of Hunter S. Thompson. Now his widow has written a book on his philosophy. How much better can it get?
Dennis Springer
Oct 14, 2013 Dennis Springer rated it liked it
Nothing learned. Nothing gained. Time I will never get back, but not necessarily regrettable either. The book is milktoast
Danielle Mathieson
Nov 30, 2010 Danielle Mathieson rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Expected a lot more insight from his wife...disappointing.

"Fear is the antifreedom. Never apologize, never explain."
BillyBlog
Feb 09, 2008 BillyBlog rated it liked it
Shelves: quickly-read
A nice little primer about the Gonzo philosophy of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. Goes quickly and is interesting.
Jess
Aug 07, 2008 Jess rated it it was amazing
a super read for anyone that is interested in Hunter S. Thompson and his gonzo way of life.
Allison Corso
Aug 19, 2012 Allison Corso rated it it was amazing
I really like this perspective. It was very real and very simple at the same time.
Ryan
Jun 10, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
An inside look at Hunter S. Thompson's life as told by his loving bride
Brad Meyers
Mar 15, 2013 Brad Meyers rated it liked it
A good of Hunter. The man is missed.
Kimberlee Jane
Oct 29, 2013 Kimberlee Jane rated it really liked it
Short, sweet, and sad in a good way.
Megan
Aug 03, 2011 Megan added it
This book is crap.
Mat
May 07, 2009 Mat rated it it was amazing
Awesome.
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
  • The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • Hunter: The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You
Anita Thompson began working as Hunter’s assistant in 1999. In 2000, she moved in and three years later they were married. Today, she is the publisher of The Woody Creeker magazine and is helping to edit Hunter’s book Polo Is My Life, among other projects. She continues to work in Hunter’s stead and live on Owl Farm in the little town of Woody Creek outside of Aspen, Colorado.
More about Anita Thompson...