Start by marking “The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson ” as Want to Read:
The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Anita Thompson. The Gonzo Way. [Golden]: Fulcrum, [2007]. First edition, first printing. Twelvemo. 112 pages.

Anita Thompson pays tribute to her late husband as a writer and as a citizen, through her own words and those of who knew him best. With elegant prose and entertaining anecdotes, she reveals a Hunter Thompson who was much more than a mere embodiment of sex, drugs,

Publisher's Binding, First Edition, First Printing, 112 pages
Published July 25th 2007 by Fulcrum Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Gonzo Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gonzo Way

Leah
To put it simply, there is something for everyone to like in this book.

Published in 2007 by Anita Thompson, the late wife of Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, the book is at once a memoir, advice book (I purposely avoid that phrase 'self-help' here), mission statement, and, for Anita Thompson, a way to exorcise the demons she has been dealing with since Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide in 2005.

So first, the aspect of memoir. Even those who were suspicious of young Anita Thompson's 'inte
Brian Krans
This was a beautiful piece of work. Anita Thompson, the widow of the great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, took the loss of Hunter and continued sharing his legacy. With the seven lessons of Gonzo, she crafts a wonderfully beautiful love letter to not only her late husband, but to his legion of fans and others who choose to live the Gonzo lifestyle. She explains who The Doctor was, far beyond Fear & Loathing, Mrs. Thompson takes us inside Owl Farm and the life Hunter lived away from the cameras. We ...more
Shawn
I've long been skeptical of Anita Thompson and her role in the late-HST's estate. I didn't know her the way I knew Thompson from his writing, so in my mind I thought of her as just some gold-digger who at least gave the good doctor some sex now and then.

This book completely changed my perspective. In it, Anita Thompson emerges as an advocate for what I regard as "pure" HST -- stripped of the hypercaricature. Early on she correctly admonishes those who read HST for the drug references and advises
Andrew Lenards
Aug 10, 2007 Andrew Lenards rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those looking for solid lessons to live your life by...
After reading this grear account of Hunter S. Thompson and the lessons he taught his young wife, Anita Thompson, I've started to take a good long look at the tenets that guide my life. You may not find it to be the best book - but the core lessons she's discussing are valuable... part of the message was an attempt to debunk the view that Hunter was just a drug-crazed, gun-toting lunatic. He was a genius that never stopped learning - and a man that had a large community of life-long friends. I wa ...more
Audrey Tolle
Nov 12, 2008 Audrey Tolle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those curious about the late Hunter S. Thompson
In this concise volume, Anita Thompson gives us a glimpse of her time with The Good Doctor and father of Gonzo journalism, and distills his thoughts on living into seven essential lessons. I found some of these lessons to be more motivating than certain self-help books I've read.

Having met Anita in the Pitkin County Library and considering the immense influence her late husband had on this community, I thought this title would be a good starting point for this online group.

Note: Die-hard Gonzo
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the gonzo spirit
A slim, sweet ode to HST from his wife. Not really heavy hitting or deep, but there are lots of fun stories about Hunter and the life lessons he taught Anita during their few years together. I was hesitant to read it initially, mostly because I wasn't sure what to think of Anita- much younger, only with Hunter for the last few years of his life- and now writing a book about their experiences smacked of trying to cash in on his fame. However, she comes across as genuine in her adoration of the Do ...more
Josh
I found this book mostly superfluous, light on content and little more than a tribute to the late HST. However, that said, it does make a nice colelctor's item as it has a very pleasing hardcover binding and wonerful caligraphy marking each chapter and chapter segment. The book mostly exposits on what Anita saw as Hunter's philosophy on life. I didn't find it preachy, so I'll give it that. I can't attribute it as much more than a collector's item though because of it's short length. For the pric ...more
Karen
A heartfelt account of Anita Thompson's time with Hunter, this book concentrates on the time since they met until after his death. It shows a unique perspective on the good ol Doctor and his ways and is very, very different to anything else I've read or watched about him. I can see why it might prove unpopular with hardcore HST fans, but I felt this account humanised him from the self confessed character he became to a lot of people. Definitely worth a read.
Paul
I met Anita about a week and a half ago at a local independent bookstore here in downtown Denver. I got my book signed and all that good junk, but what really got to me was how she still talked about Hunter, and was willing to talk to me a little more about him after everyone had left. She is a great person and this book is an excellent little Gonzo handbook. I think hunter would be proud to have this book next to his on the bookshelves.
Bill
Wonderful tales and life lessons from Hunter S Thompson as told by his young widow.
Not every HST fan will appreciate the more lucid stories and advice - likewise some of those who are not fans of Hunters famous drug fulled musings will love this little gem. The litte red book of Gonzo.
In short: buy the ticket, take the ride. You will not regret it.
Andy
Mostly a curated collection of quotes about the late great Gonzo himself. Interesting perspective into his non-public side, but I think it fails to live up to the preface and introduction which claim it will delve into his forays in philosophy.

Read the whole book between 2:30 PM and 10 PM, mostly while waiting for my car to be towed.
Jenn
Being a rather obsessed HST fan, I jumped on going to watch Anita Thompson lecture at a bookstore in Denver. You could feel the emotion in her voice and how writing this helped her cope. An interesting view into the life of HST how Anita knew him and the life lessons that she learned and is trying to carry on.
Chrisy
Hunter's wife attempts to capitalize on his death in this meandering drivel by glossing over everything that made him a visionary, attempting to idealize him, and all while regurgitating a crap imitation of his writing style.
Terri
Jan 03, 2008 Terri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri by: james kelly
While not a great book, it did remind me of a few of life's lessons. If it isn't fun, you're not doing it right and life should be lived loudly and without explaining yourself. Good enough.
Amberly
A little thin, but a good companion for any H.S.T. fan. More than anything, it shows how committed his wife Anita is to his memory and sensibility.
Sandyhilliard
I got this for my birthday and read it in one sitting. Anita didn't have enough time with Hunter S. but she certainly understood the core.
Travis French
I love the work of Hunter S. Thompson. Now his widow has written a book on his philosophy. How much better can it get?
Dennis Springer
Nothing learned. Nothing gained. Time I will never get back, but not necessarily regrettable either. The book is milktoast
Danielle Mathieson
Expected a lot more insight from his wife...disappointing.

"Fear is the antifreedom. Never apologize, never explain."
BillyBlog
A nice little primer about the Gonzo philosophy of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. Goes quickly and is interesting.
Jess
a super read for anyone that is interested in Hunter S. Thompson and his gonzo way of life.
Allison Corso
I really like this perspective. It was very real and very simple at the same time.
Ryan
An inside look at Hunter S. Thompson's life as told by his loving bride
Brad Meyers
A good of Hunter. The man is missed.
Kimberlee Jane
Short, sweet, and sad in a good way.
Megan
Aug 03, 2011 Megan added it
This book is crap.
Mat
Awesome.
Tara Shephard
Tara Shephard marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Indira
Indira marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • The Kitchen Readings: Untold Stories of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • Hunter: The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You
Anita Thompson began working as Hunter’s assistant in 1999. In 2000, she moved in and three years later they were married. Today, she is the publisher of The Woody Creeker magazine and is helping to edit Hunter’s book Polo Is My Life, among other projects. She continues to work in Hunter’s stead and live on Owl Farm in the little town of Woody Creek outside of Aspen, Colorado.
More about Anita Thompson...
Stand as a Witness: The Biography of Ardeth Greene Kapp Ancient Gonzo Wisdom Ancient Gonzo Wisdom: Interviews with Hunter S. Thompson Lotus 1-2-3 4.0/5.0 for Windows : Quick Course dBASE: Quick Course - Txt