Start by marking “Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)” as Want to Read:
Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)

Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Hero Wanted launches the comical Jason Cosmo fantasy adventure series by Dan McGirt. Jason Cosmo is perfectly happy as a humble woodcutter in the village of Lower Hicksnittle-until a foppish stranger tries to kill him, claiming there is a huge price on Jason's head. Ten million gold carats is enough to put Arden's best-and worst-bounty hunters on his trail. It seems Jason ...more
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hero Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Wanted

Bruce
Feb 11, 2016 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hero Wanted is a welcome change in the fantasy genre. At least for me. After finding book after book that covered the dystopian, end of the universe, everyone suffering miserably from zombies and werewolf apocalypses, this leaped out and said, "I'm different!" And so it was.

Think back to stories like The Princess Bride, where comedy was predominant throughout, the story was basically clean and you really liked the characters. That's what this story was for me. The author succeeds in weaving cons
Geoffrey
Jan 24, 2010 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, superhero
I read Hero Wanted on kindle but I picked up the ebook someplace other than Amazon. There were no formatting issues that I noticed, BTW.

This book is fun. It's a great fantasy action story with a lot of humor thrown in for good measure. The story itself is a standard average-guy-becomes-a-hero-finds-a-hot-chick-and-fights-demons story; but the story is well written and interesting. The humor is sometimes dry and sometimes subtle, but it always appears in unexpected places and is consistently amus
Dan McGirt
Jan 20, 2014 Dan McGirt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I've read HERO WANTED several times before, but this was the first time I actually sat down and read it simply to enjoy the story. It remains my favorite of all the Dan McGirt books so far. I occasionally forgot that I was reading a book I wrote and got absorbed in the story. I even laughed at some of my own jokes! I really get Dan McGirt's odd sense of humor, I guess...

A fast-paced, funny fantasy adventure that I have no hesitation in recommending for your several hours' enjoyment.

Granted, I
P.A. Seasholtz
Nov 23, 2009 P.A. Seasholtz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is not to like? If the point of a book is to entertain, then this is a home run. Funny, adsurd, whimsical are just a few of the adjectives that come to mind. You can't go wrong with this one. Enjoy!
Jimmy
Feb 25, 2016 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
This is one of the funniest; laugh out loud fantasy books I’ve read in a long time. I loved the refreshing and not so serious approach that made the entire experience fun. I’m looking forward to reading the other Jason Cosmo novels.
Jason Cosmo does not exist. Bounty hunters are tracking him to deliver his head and to collect on the outrageous reward. Jason’s capture is essential to some scheme of the Society, or he is a threat to its existence.
He Who Sits On The Porch, (who reminds me a lot of
Kampamba
Nov 19, 2015 Kampamba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, lotsa action, all in all an easy and fun read.
Randolph Lalonde
Hero Wanted is a rare gem of a novel in a dump truck filled with standard fare fantasy. It doesn't pretend to lofty seriousness - this is a comedy adventure after all. Having said that, it doesn't dumb itself down - there is wit both high and low brow but often somewhere in the middle.

The main character, Jason Cosmo, is not a brash hero or a know it all, nor is he an ignoramus or coward. He flitters from one extreme to another while trying to find his place in the mayhem that besets his existenc
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 22, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book may actually be even better than the 4 stars I've awarded it. I find I don't have the appreciation for whimsy I once had. It's been a difficult year.

Still other than one false start (a bit that I found very trite...it had been done so often), the book is hugely funny. Following Jason Cosmo through his quest from the time he flees his run down dirty and bleak home land (where the gods had slyly hidden him, because who'd ever look there for THE Hero of the age...or possibly the coming ag
Johan Duinkerken
Jul 03, 2015 Johan Duinkerken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and enjoyable read, although it took me a chapter or two to get used to the style of humour. The humour used is a bit childish, but later on seems to laugh at itself, being slightly over the top, which makes it good fun. Recommended if you like peasants-who-are-actually-heroes, busty babes and uber cool wizards!
Fraser Sherman
The premise might have made an interesting fantasy noir as the protagonist discovers that through some strange fluke he's now known as the deadliest villain alive. Can he survive long enough to find out why? Unfortunately McGirt is writing a comedy and I didn't find his jokes that funny.In fairness, fantasy parodies aren't my thing but this felt pretty recycled for the most part.
Sean Randall
I wasn't overly impressed with the humour here and to be honest my silly sensor went off a little too often to impress. Still, there were moments of fun and the idea, whilst not new, wasn't mismanaged.
Jason White
Aug 21, 2012 Jason White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this on my iBooks because the description mentioned '... compared to the work of Terry Pratchett...'. As a long time fan of Terry Pratchett, I was extremely let down.

The story is about Jason Cosmo's quest to stay alive which slowly changes to saving the world, which is all the character development there was. Jason spends the majority of the time being passively engaged in his own life while the people and scenery around him do all the action.

Worse yet, while it is told mostly in first
Amy
Apr 25, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was so bad. I mean it was bad. And FYI, I'm pretty sure that a chunk of the 5 star reviews were fake because I recognize them from Amazon reviews that I determined were also fake.

Reasons it was bad:

1-The writing was atrocious in every way. Don't need to get into details because if you can name an aspect of writing, it was bad.

2-The plot was über predictable.

3-Character development was... well I have now learned that it is possible to have less than no character development.

4-The protag
Cheryl a.k.a Poptart
I loved...I mean LOVED this book! You can tell the author used ideas from different epic fantasy like Lord of the Rings and the like, but in a very quirky good way.

The story is about Jason Cosmo who is practically invisible to the known world, is thrown into a series of events that make him just the opposite...the most famous person in the world. The story follows the events in Jason Cosmo's life during this time and let me tell you, what a fun ride!

I would definitely read this book again and
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
I went back and forth on this book a lot. Sometimes I thought it was brilliantly funny, this generation's version of Another Fine Myth. At other times it felt a bit forced and tedious, such as toward the end where there was massive exposition to explain the latest "doomsday weapon" the bad guys had pulled out of a hat. Overall, it's a good, humorous slant on the fantasy hero quest but this may be a case where the whole is slightly less than the sum of the parts. Still, a promising start to a new ...more
Bonnie
Jan 13, 2015 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me interested and chuckling. Reminded me of Robert Aspirin.
Holley
Jan 20, 2010 Holley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an awesome book! So funny, so exciting! It reminded me of a mix between Evil Dead and The Princess Bride, but unique and enchanting in its own right. The author is a very clever writer - quirky at times, witty at others. The humor was just this-side-of-cheesy; just the way I like it! I loved the character and place names the author used in this make-believe world. I recommend this book to anyone who reads midieval fantasy and doesn't like it to be too serious.
Jeff Miller
Sep 26, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun fantasy quest with familiar elements, but with a good amount of humor. The humor elements are not to the extent of a Terry Pratchett or Robert Asprin, but there is a bit of the absurd thrown into the novel with some pretty funny lines. So it satisfies on the level of a good hero quest and on the level of having some fun with it.

This is another book that was made free on Amazon and is the first in the series - nice way to get someone hooked.
Jasmyn
Jul 21, 2010 Jasmyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, nook, combedy
If you enjoyed Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you will love this comical fantasy story of Jason Cosmo. A woodcutter by trade, forced to be a hero by destiny and possibly a case of mistaken identity. As Jason flees his hometown of Lower Hicksnittle, he finds unlikely allies in a wizard, Mercury Boltblaster, and the seductive twins, Sapphrina and Rubis. A very entertaining tale with all the classic fantasy elements.

4/5
Donna
Fun book. Over the top humor a la Pratchett or Asprin. Unwitting turnip farmer Jason Cosmo becomes a Hero, gets the girl and saves the world. A lot of laugh out loud jokes along the way. My favorite is the description of the Hero test, as I have been fated to administer those standardized tests that the state of Texas has seen fit to inflict on students for the past few decades. The cultural bias joke was dead on.
Stephen Osborne
Apr 23, 2010 Stephen Osborne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, that was a tough book to finish, and it wasn't really that long! One review I read compared it to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I was hoping for clever writing and inventive situations. It's disappointing to go in expecting Douglas Adams and getting the Three Stooges instead. The humor was often forced and painfully obvious. Might be a good book for young readers. Certainly not my cup of tea.
Joe S
Apr 01, 2010 Joe S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Take two Robert Asprin, one Piers Anthony, mix well with a rowdy hack-and-slash fantasy romp, and you get Hero Wanted. I read this little gem on a road trip with the family, and had a wonderful time with it. The line between clever and cheesy is delicate, and McGirt crosses it just enough to remind you not to take it too seriously.

Can you spot the Van Halen reference? I did, and it cracked me up.
Brandy Hunt
Jan 13, 2011 Brandy Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the most interesting thing about this book was how believable the main character was. As a former table top role player, I have known people to play characters like this. I kind of know people like this. It was very cool to see a "real" hero.
Mark Jacobs
Apr 08, 2011 Mark Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most entertaining reads I've had in years. I haven't laughed out loud as much since reading 'Bored of the Rings' by the Harvard Lampoon back in the 1970's. This may be better...

Linda
Aug 19, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebooks, 2010
this was the most amusing, entertaining book I have read in awhile. Silly, stupid, hilarious, I must say everyone should read it, you just can't help but laugh and the commentary.
Allan
Mar 27, 2011 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very quick, light read, but entertaining. If you liked the movie version of The Princess Bride, and enjoy humor the likes of Terry Pratchett, you'll enjoy this.
Tanya
Sep 11, 2009 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
A farce on the whole hero saves the world from evil and gets the girl. I fun book that I really enjoyed. Up there with the top in the genre.
Andre
Feb 06, 2012 Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook2010
This is a wonderfully silly book, kinda like a late night gaming session fueled by tripple lattes and pixie sticks. Not a *great* book, but most fun
James
Jun 21, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very funny and enjoyable. If you enjoy tales such as The Princess Bride and Shrek, I think you'll love this book.
Theresa
Apr 06, 2010 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book. It had so much potential and fell incredibly short.
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Ninja
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • MetaGame
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Union of Renegades (The Rys Chronicles #1)
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Dreams of the Compass Rose
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • A World Within
  • Xenolith
  • Enchanting the Lady (Relics of Merlin, #1)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Dead Men Kill: A Murder Mystery of Wealth, Power, and the Living Dead
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
DAN MCGIRT is the author of the Jason Cosmo fantasy adventure series, beginning with Hero Wanted and continued in Noble Cause and Royal Crush. His previous books comprise the original Jason Cosmo Non-Trilogy: Jason Cosmo, Royal Chaos and Dirty Work. Other published stories include: Magicka The Ninth Element, Sarah Palin: Vampire Hunter, Beginner’s Luck, and the Jack Scarlet stories: Bullets for Br ...more
More about Dan McGirt...

Jason Cosmo (3 books)
  • Noble Cause (Jason Cosmo #2)
  • Royal Crush