Start by marking “A Violent Grace” as Want to Read:
A Violent Grace

A Violent Grace

They seem to be at irreconcilable odds: violence and grace. Yet award-winning author and musician Michael Card paints a stunning and poignant picture of how violence was the price of grace. Based primarily on passages in Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22, the reader is led on an exploration of the suffering and sacrifice it took to achieve our salvation, of Christ's separation from ...more
Published January 29th 2000 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about A Violent Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Violent Grace

DeAnne
Mar 27, 2013 DeAnne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This book is intense!! I loved it and it gives a deeper understanding of what Christ suffered and endured on the cross. The language is very poetic, beautiful and yet disturbing and thought provoking when John's accounts of Christ's execution are explained. I feel that the detailed explanations of the crucifixion, side by side with the scriptural references and meanings, brought me into His presence and made me just want to weep at Jesus' feet for what he endured on my behalf.

This book is deep
Garth Richards
Oct 12, 2007 Garth Richards rated it it was amazing
"A Violent Grace" this title sounds upside down but it's a fitting expression of what Christ did for us. I read this book around Easter time when I was wanting to connect closer to the pain that Christ went through on the cross for me. The book is similiar to The Passion of the Christ to where you get a better idea of how much Christ went through for us. There's a chapter describing a doctor's look at when the blood and the water came flowing out of Jesus' side when he was poked there by the ...more
Joy
Mar 10, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
I am reading this at the suggestion of my friend (who is now a Lutheran Pastor). The book is comprised of 21 chapters, each about 4 pages long and ending with a prayer so it makes a good devotional. Each chapter deals with a different element of the suffering that Jesus went through in his journey to the cross.

Michael Card is well known for some of his contemporary Christian songs like "El Shaddai" but I didn't know that he wrote books until my friend suggested it. I'm reading it for the season
Melanie Surani
Jun 16, 2011 Melanie Surani rated it it was amazing
A blow-by-blow account of what actually happened to Jesus on the cross. Mr. Card tells a gruesome tale without being too graphic (but without glossing over anything).
Cori
Mar 11, 2016 Cori rated it it was amazing
WOW! How can I not thank my God and Savior for His Grace!
Tori Samar
A short but outstanding read, especially in preparation for Easter. As always, Michael Card wonderfully engages the reader's imagination and affections as he walks us through the events surrounding Christ's crucifixion. I was struck anew with the wonder and horror of what happened at the cross and also led to consider things about Christ's death and resurrection that I never have before!

Card has always been a lover of paradox, and this book is a good demonstration of that. The chapter titles alo
Philip
Apr 22, 2013 Philip rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Card doesn't give the readers anything groundbreaking, but when it comes to the crucifixion, groundbreaking isn't what is needed. Card breaks down each event of the Passion into a formula to show that each thing Christ endured was for our benefit (Christ suffered [x ordeal] so that we could receive [benefit y]). This is a great book for Lent or any other time of year. One can never be reminded too often of Christ's sufferings on the cross. "Out of the beautiful violence of His life will flow a ...more
Emerald Longcop
Sep 27, 2007 Emerald Longcop is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Pastors
Im currently reading this book and so cant make a sweeping statement as to what this book is all about. Basically, its a very inspiring book with clear picture images although one must be careful not to take the experience to much of an emotional experience but rather ,one must be able to make a balance understanding on the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. One thing i can say is that, violent grace brought me to a different angle of seeing Jesus! Good read indeed!
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
I reread this book every Lenten season. It is always fresh and always is the perfect daily reminder of what Christ did, with content that seems 'new' every time I read it. Michael Card's gift with words is such a gift to us, and the Holy Spirit uses it to pierce our hearts with fresh insight.
Nathan Parker
Jul 20, 2015 Nathan Parker rated it it was amazing
Every Christian should read this! It is the most touching book I have ever read on the crucifixion. It drew me closer to Jesus and gave me a deeper appreciation of what He did on the cross for me. It is the ideal devotional to read around the Easter season.
Denise
Jul 09, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
I cried so hard when I first read this book, I purchased it back in 2001 and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and told me to go and purchase as many more copies as i could afford and bless others with it so I did. I bought 7 more copies and passed them out to people in my church it was such a blessing.
Don Henrikson
Sep 05, 2014 Don Henrikson rated it really liked it
Just as Michael Card's music does such a remarkable job at calling Christians to consider Christ, this book calls Christians to consider Christ crucified. It is an excellent devotional book on the saving work accomplished at Calvary.
Laverne Byas-smith
Feb 26, 2009 Laverne Byas-smith rated it it was amazing
A great book to read during Lent. It really puts the crucifixion in perspective -- historical as well as contemporary.
Brenda Seefeldt
Aug 05, 2016 Brenda Seefeldt rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Beautifully written. Beautifully printed. A good one to pass on to many people.
Steve Inman
Steve Inman rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Rik Eshuis
Rik Eshuis rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Cheryl Miller
Cheryl Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2009
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2010
Jason Hardin
Jason Hardin rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2016
Silver Poet
Silver Poet rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
Rosie
Rosie rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Chad McMath
Chad McMath rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Charles
Aug 11, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: genreal-theology
Good lent-in mediation from a protestant prescriptive.
Bob Mueller
Bob Mueller rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2008
Peter Cairns
Peter Cairns rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2009
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Terry Geiger
Terry Geiger rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Macon Beads
Macon Beads rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
  • Our Sufficiency in Christ
  • More Jesus, Less Religion: Moving from Rules to Relationship
  • Let the Journey Begin: God's Roadmap for New Beginnings
  • The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • Praying the Psalms

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the
More about Michael Card...