Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  29,802 ratings  ·  3,347 reviews
BONUS: This special eBook edition includes two bonus short stories set in the world of the Iron Druid Chronicles: "Clan Rathskeller," and the eBook exclusive "Kaibab Unbound."

HOUNDED

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customer...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Del Rey (first published April 19th 2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Books That Get You Hooked
128th out of 504 books — 340 voters
The Clearing by Thomas RydderEveryone Burns by John DolanStarshine by G.S. JennsenDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyHeavy Duty People by Iain Parke
Great Indie Novels
342nd out of 1,072 books — 1,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
If Joss Whedon and Jim Butcher had a love child that would one day grow up and write a novel - this would be the novel he wrote.

Jim Butcher

PLUS

Joss Whedon

EQUALS

Now would be the time to admit the truth about your parents, Hearne! ADMIT IT!

For the most part, Hounded is a delightful, action-packed urban fantasy novel with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, interesting characters and witty banter.

It's not a perfect novel. The main protagonist, Atticus, a 2100 year old druid living in Tempe, Arizona is a fantastic characte...more
Patrick

It's hard for me to read urban fantasy these days and not compare the books to the Dresden files.

When the main character is a magic-wielding badass that interacts with mythological figures, it makes it harder to avoid the comparison. When the book is in first person, and the magic wielding badass is also a snarky, sarcastic wise-ass.... well... it's nigh impossible to avoid putting the two books side-by-side in my mind.

That said, there are a lot of differences. And the vast majority of the thi...more
mark monday
The Learning Annex presents a three-session workshop:

HOW TO WRITE URBAN FANTASY IN 3 EASY STEPS!

Session 1: Uncover Your Inner Shallow Self And Flaunt It

Why waste time putting energy towards creating depth? Readers are not looking for intangibles, they are looking for escape! Depth often makes them feel out of their depth so why not create some positive impact. Research your mythology of choice, then surround that central mythology with as many other mythologies and fantasy figures as you possibl...more
Rane
May 14, 2011 Rane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rane by: Sans
Shelves: keeper, urban-fantasy
A few moons ago, I use to read PNR/UF books like I breathe air, and ate them like potato chips. Then the treads started up with many authors pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. Walking back to the genres has been (so far) very good with the help of many of my GR friend’s reviews; I’ve had a lot of luck with PNR and Romantic UFs, but haven’t had the true courage to try my hand at a UF until Hounded. Hounded is a book that made me remember why I loved and miss the genre so much!...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Ten Things I liked/loved about Hounded and the Whys:

1. Sexy, redheaded Irish hero. Why, because I have a thing for red-headed guys, and I am a proud person of Irish ancestry, so I think Irish people are cool!
2. Hero is a druid who can also kick butt like nobody's business. Why, because I love characters who can kick butt, and druids are so mysterious and underutilized in contemporary fantasy.
3. The hero communicates with his dog. Why, because I am crazy about animals, I love the human/animal bon...more
Dan Schwent
Millenia-old druid Atticus O'Sullivan has a powerful magical sword in his possession and a Celtic god wants it in the worst way. But what does that have to do with a coven of witches? And which side are Flidais and the other gods on? Can Atticus escape with his skin, even with a pack of werewolves and a vampire lawyer on his side?

I had my eye open for a new urban fantasy series to try once the Dresden Files began tasting like ashes in my mouth. When the price on the ebook version of this dropped...more
Lesley
I’m kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, it was fast paced, exciting, fun, and humorous. On the other hand, it’s a little muddled, has a couple of plot holes, and is occasionally silly to the point of being cheesy. I enjoyed it, but I honestly don’t know whether I would recommend it to someone else. So here is what I liked and what I didn’t - you decide.

Hounded has an interesting premise - a 2,100 year old Druid, along with the Celtic god of death, a magic sword, a pack of werewolves, and...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Manchee fans (of Chaos Walking) - you will love Oberon!

Review for the males :

Atticus is a guy's guy. He's got a dry sense of humor, doesn't spew pretty language for the sake of having to impress anyone, and spends a good portion of his time communicating with man's best friend - yep, a dog. A very intelligent dog who happens to be loyal and helpful in a pinch, but would rather be eating sausages and banging french poodles.

Oh yeah, and this Atticus guy carries a big sword. And works some badass...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I jinxed myself. I read the first 5 pages and thought I might actually like it after procrastinating over the decision of: to read, or not to read? I blame myself for settling on the former, as many have compared it to Jim Butcher's writing. Me and that dude do not get on. We are chalk and cheese.

The humour is unfunny; it's forced. The info-dump is off-putting; too much, too fast. Dialogue-overload. Not enough description.

Atticus claims to be 2,100 or just 21 to humans. He lies to everyone but...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]

Enjoyable, engrossing read. Definite fun. Atticus is the first praciticing druid I've read about in a long while, and it's nice to have a new take on magic in the urban fantasy line. In fact, all sorts of immortals and deities seem to be present, particularly from Celtic and Norse mythologies. They actually behave a lot like the stereotypes of gods from mythology (at least in the Greek myths I read), which is to say, manipulative, egotistical and randy. Hearne does a nice job of balancing their...more
Regina
2.75 stars. I listened to the audio version and the narration was good. I plan to listen to #2.

Okay, I feel sort of like the odd woman out here. Most of my goodreads friends loved this book and are gushing about it. But I just did not see what was so special about this book. I feel bad writing this review and saying this, but no this book is not a favorite.

Okay, the good things first. The writing is solid in Hounded and the pacing is good. The characters are interesting. There is not any chapt...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Wow! Amazing 88% price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 3/17/14!**

What a great Goodreads giveaway win!

I started this book feeling a bit underwhelmed. There are a whole lot of deities mentioned in this book along with shifters, the fae, vampires, druids, and witches. Whew! I was a bit bogged down with all of the people to remember and sort through. Honestly, if I hadn't read many UF books before, I would have been completely lost. It just didn't... grab me. I could have dropped the book in the firs...more
Laura Lulu
I really liked this one. Probably closer to a 3.5 star, but when a book has an Irish wolfhound quoting Eric Cartman, I'll throw him a bone with 4 stars. It was a light, fun read with great characters, fast paced action and much comic relief. I found myself snickering many a time while reading.

Atticus is a really likable character who is easy to root for. Sometimes his comments were just a bit too trendy to be coming from a 2100 year old druid, but they were usually funny, nonetheless. And Atticu...more
Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost ("As the Pirate Aarhgs")
Aug 16, 2011 Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost ("As the Pirate Aarhgs") rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone not offended by nudity and violence in a book
Recommended to Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost by: Fantasy Afictionadoes (GR)
What are you going to do for your 2,101th birthday?

You'd think life might get easier after 2100 years of practice? Atticus O'Sulivan has lived longer than Christianity has been around and he's still up to his eyeballs in evil Gods, Demons, Blood Thirsty Fea, werewolves, vampires,fickle Goddesses and wicked witches. When is the guy going to learn to stay away from things that want to rip your head off and suck your soul out of your body?

Armed with an ancient sword, a magic amulet of his own maki...more
AH
Awesome!

A really fun read! I barely finished the first chapter when I went online and quickly ordered the next 2 books in the series.

There is so much to like about Kevin Hearne’s book Hounded, book 1 of the Iron Druid Chronicles. Take a look at the cover. Nice. Read the blurb on the back cover. Amusing. Hounded is the story of Atticus O’Sullivan, a 2100 year old Druid living as a 21 year old in Arizona. Atticus is in possession of a magical sword Fragarach, The Answer. A whole slew of character...more
Laurence
By any objective standard, this is an awful book. It has a childishly simple plot, which still manages to get buried under page after page of the sort of clumsy exposition and background information that can only be shovelled on by an author who clearly believes the 'show, don't tell' adage applies to other people. It has a supporting cast of characters who, when they're not cheap caricatures lifted directly from Urban Fantasy for Dummies are so poorly fleshed out as to be virtually non-existent...more
Lisa Kay
Oberon
[image error]

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ve never read anything by Kevin Hearne before, and I’ve never listened to Luke Daniels narrate, either. But I definitely will again! So glad I chose to listen to this one, as the pronunciation of Druid and other ancient dialects would have totally tongue-tied my mind. Even with the nicely provided “Irish Pronunciation Guide” in the front to the eBook. I couldn’t begin to attempt saying Aenghus Óg or Tuatha Dé Danann in my head, let...more
Nikki
*sigh* This was quite the frustrating book to read. For the first third or so of the book I wasn't certain how I felt about it, but this was largely due to my hesitancy to jump to conclusions. Well the potential middle of the road rating quickly deteriorated to a well-deserved one star. Needless to say I will not be continuing in the series unless I am at a level of boredom I have not yet experienced.

Let's start with Atticus. Atticus is supposed to be a Druid who is 2,100 years old. However, he...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old--when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the A...more
Anne
It started off a little slow and clunky (my opinion), but after a few chapters things started clicking together. Really well.

Atticus is a 2000 plus year old Druid who makes his home in Arizona. Other than running an occult shop (and occasionally selling fake weed to stoners), he has generally tried to lay low to avoid a powerful enemy who has been after him for over a millenium. Because he stole the guy's sword. A bad ass sword. Evidently, the Celtic god of love isn't very lovable. In fact, he's...more
Rob
Executive Summary: An alright, but not spectacular debut that is helped by how short it is. There are hints of possibility here to develop into a better series at least.

Audio book: This is the first book I've listened to by Luke Daniels. At first I didn't like him much but her grew on me. He seems pretty good at accents, I'm just not sure I like his normal reading voice though. I did really enjoy his voice for Oberon however.

Full Review
I've had several people tell me this is a great series, esp...more
Leah
I liked this book even more than I expected to. It sounded awesome based on the back's description and reviews of friends that I had read, but it was more than I was hoping for. It was a great action book, but it was really funny too.

All the characters--loved them. They were all so funny. Seriously. They amused the hell out of me. Atticus was sarcastic and tricksy and so adorable. Oberon was the funniest dog ever. Hal was hilarious, even when he might not have been trying to be. Everyone was awe...more
Killer Rabbit
A Druid Hero for Nerds
Atticus O'Sullivan is trying to get ready for the impending arrival of a god who wants to settle a score. In order to do so, he's got to figure out who is on his side, and to what degree. But all the while, he's making goofy jokes and chit-chatting with his dog (Oberon) about nerds, college students, and greenies. Recommended for fans of Piers Anthony and Simon Pegg.

P.S. I'm already reading Hexed, book 2 in this series.
Alex Ristea
An OK book to read once you're done with the Dresden Files—but just that: OK.

The main thing going for this book is that it's pretty funny. Perhaps not as witty and sophisticated as you usually see, but I definitely burst out laughing more than a few times.

It's simple writing for a simple story, which happened to be perfect since I listened to this in audiobook. At times though, the plot felt contrived and there wasn't much conflict. I never felt as if our hero was in any real danger.

Honestly, th...more
Bonnie
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Atticus is a 21 centuries old red-headed Irishmen but he only looks 21 years old living in Tempe, Arizona. He's the last of the Druids and has been in hiding to keep Aenghus Óg, a Celtic god, from finding him. Unfortunately he's been discovered and he's coming for him... but this time he decides not to run. He's sick of hiding, sick of running, and he's ready to fight.

It's always nice to find a new Urban Fantasy series that is a refreshing change f...more
♥Rachel♥
I’m first and foremost a romance junkie any genre I read usually must contain some amount. So it was shocking to me that I enjoyed this so much when there isn’t any! I credit that to the highly entertaining and quick-witted Atticus O’Sullivan!

Atticus O’Sullivan may look like he’s twenty-one but in reality his age is over two thousand. He’s last of the Druids, trying to live a peaceful life running a New Age book and tea shop. Unfortunately, he’s had an age long feud with the Celtic god, Aenghus...more
Mr. Matt
Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, runs an occult bookstore in an Arizona college town. For twenty or so years, Atticus has been doing his best to mind his own business and stay out of trouble. He helps out the occasional witch, but he almost never needs to call upon his werewolf lawyers or his vampire firend who just happens to have flesh eating ghouls on speed dial. All this goes along just fine until ... right about now when all hell (literally) breaks loose.

Hounded is lots of fun. I...more
Enjee
I received an early copy of this book as part of the Goodreads firstreads program.
I loved this book. It is one of the best I have read this year, and I am happy the next two in the series are following this summer. I will definitely be reading them.
Atticus is a 2100 year old Druid, kept alive so long by means you will learn in the book. He makes his living owning an occult bookstore and apothecary. He has been hounded for centuries by a god who wants the sword Atticus picked up in an ancient ba...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Atticus O’Sullivan is an ancient shapeshifting druid. For a couple thousand years he’s been hiding from Aenghus Óg, the god who used to own the famous sword Fragarach until Atticus relieved him of it on an ancient battlefield. Now Aenghus has some plans to advance himself among the Tuatha Dé Danann and he wants his sword back.

Atticus is now a 21-year-old (it seems) bookshop owner in Tempe, Arizona, near Arizona State University. He sells occult paraphernal...more
Michael
Every once in a while as I browse the new releases area of the sci-fi and fantasy section of my local bookstore, I get depressed that a lot of it these days is probably better defined as paranormal romance rather than actual sci-fi and/or fantasy novels. It seems like more and more if I want to find something truly new, unique and worth my time, recommendations from friends, rather real world or on-line, are far more fruitful and promising than anything the big-box book retailers are pushing the...more
Urban Fantasy: Hounded by Kevin Hearne 43 57 Jul 22, 2014 12:23PM
Joseph Beth Sci-F...: * Hounded by Kevin Hearne for Aug 18th 1 5 Jul 02, 2014 07:13AM
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • Zero Sight (Zero Sight, #1)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros, #2)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...
Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) Two Ravens and One Crow (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.5)

“Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” 176 likes
“Yer a good lad, Atticus, mowin’ me lawn and killin’ what Brits come around.” 143 likes