Start by marking “Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  53,304 Ratings  ·  5,083 Reviews
BONUS: This special eBook edition includes two bonus short stories set in the world of the Iron Druid Chronicles: "Clan Rathskeller," and the eBook exclusive "Kaibab Unbound."

HOUNDED

Published May 3rd 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded, please sign up.

David Henson Personally if you haven't read it yet I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The style is similar (in my opinion) and he defiantly puts a…morePersonally if you haven't read it yet I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The style is similar (in my opinion) and he defiantly puts a fair amount of humor into his work. (less)
Kat He isn't a model. It's actually an illustration by Gene Mollica. So the person on the cover isn't a real person!

Patrick
Sep 25, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's hard for me to read urban fantasy these days and not compare the books to the Dresden files.

When the main character is a magic-wielding badass that interacts with mythological figures, it makes it harder to avoid the comparison. When the book is in first person, and the magic wielding badass is also a snarky, sarcastic wise-ass.... well... it's nigh impossible to avoid putting the two books side-by-side in my mind.

That said, there are a lot of differences. And the vast majority of the thi
Kat Kennedy
If Joss Whedon and Jim Butcher had a love child that would one day grow up and write a novel - this would be the novel he wrote.

Jim Butcher

PLUS

Joss Whedon

EQUALS

Now would be the time to admit the truth about your parents, Hearne! ADMIT IT!

For the most part, Hounded is a delightful, action-packed urban fantasy novel with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, interesting characters and witty banter.

It's not a perfect novel. The main protagonist, Atticus, a 2100 year old druid living in Tempe, Arizona is a fantastic characte
mark monday
The Learning Annex presents a three-session workshop:

HOW TO WRITE URBAN FANTASY IN 3 EASY STEPS!

Session 1: Uncover Your Inner Shallow Self And Flaunt It

Why waste time putting energy towards creating depth? Readers are not looking for intangibles, they are looking for escape! Depth often makes them feel out of their depth so why not create some positive impact. Research your mythology of choice, then surround that central mythology with as many other mythologies and fantasy figures as you possibl
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ten Things I liked/loved about Hounded and the Whys:

1. Sexy, redheaded Irish hero. Why, because I have a thing for red-headed guys, and I am a proud person of Irish ancestry, so I think Irish people are cool!
2. Hero is a druid who can also kick butt like nobody's business. Why, because I love characters who can kick butt, and druids are so mysterious and underutilized in contemporary fantasy.
3. The hero communicates with his dog. Why, because I am crazy about animals, I love the human/animal bon
Rane
May 14, 2011 Rane rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rane by: Sans
Shelves: keeper, urban-fantasy
A few moons ago, I use to read PNR/UF books like I breathe air, and ate them like potato chips. Then the treads started up with many authors pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. Walking back to the genres has been (so far) very good with the help of many of my GR friend’s reviews; I’ve had a lot of luck with PNR and Romantic UFs, but haven’t had the true courage to try my hand at a UF until Hounded. Hounded is a book that made me remember why I loved and miss the genre so much! ...more
Lyn
Oct 13, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atticus O’Sullivan, the protagonist of Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series, Thor, Stevie Nicks and Lyn sit in the left field seats watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game and discussing Hounded.

Thor: So why did you call me an “ass-hat”?

Atticus: I call ‘em like I see ‘em big guy. But don’t take it too hard, I’ll buy you another beer as my way of making amends. [hails a beer vendor]

Thor: I’m repeatedly described as difficult, and that’s a euphemism, and I’m not supposed to take it so hard?

Stevie: I thi
Dan Schwent
Mar 20, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, lendable
Millenia-old druid Atticus O'Sullivan has a powerful magical sword in his possession and a Celtic god wants it in the worst way. But what does that have to do with a coven of witches? And which side are Flidais and the other gods on? Can Atticus escape with his skin, even with a pack of werewolves and a vampire lawyer on his side?

I had my eye open for a new urban fantasy series to try once the Dresden Files began tasting like ashes in my mouth. When the price on the ebook version of this dropped
Lesley
Oct 09, 2014 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I’m kind of torn on this one. On the one hand, it was fast paced, exciting, fun, and humorous. On the other hand, it’s a little muddled, has a couple of plot holes, and is occasionally silly to the point of being cheesy. I enjoyed it, but I honestly don’t know whether I would recommend it to someone else. So here is what I liked and what I didn’t - you decide.

Hounded has an interesting premise - a 2,100 year old Druid, along with the Celtic god of death, a magic sword, a pack of werewolves, and
Nikki
*sigh* This was quite the frustrating book to read. For the first third or so of the book I wasn't certain how I felt about it, but this was largely due to my hesitancy to jump to conclusions. Well the potential middle of the road rating quickly deteriorated to a well-deserved one star. Needless to say I will not be continuing in the series unless I am at a level of boredom I have not yet experienced.

Let's start with Atticus. Atticus is supposed to be a Druid who is 2,100 years old. However, he
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Manchee fans (of Chaos Walking) - you will love Oberon!

Review for the males :

Atticus is a guy's guy. He's got a dry sense of humor, doesn't spew pretty language for the sake of having to impress anyone, and spends a good portion of his time communicating with man's best friend - yep, a dog. A very intelligent dog who happens to be loyal and helpful in a pinch, but would rather be eating sausages and banging french poodles.

Oh yeah, and this Atticus guy carries a big sword. And works some badass
Kimberley doruyter
i was surpirsed at how much i loved it.
the myths are correct and from all over the world.
and i loved the dog.

re-read still love that dog!!

re-re-read i could read this every month if i had too.
Richard Derus
Jul 31, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old--when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the A
Laurence
Jul 27, 2016 Laurence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By any objective standard, this is an awful book. It has a childishly simple plot, which still manages to get buried under page after page of the sort of clumsy exposition and background information that can only be shovelled on by an author who clearly believes the 'show, don't tell' adage applies to other people. It has a supporting cast of characters who, when they're not cheap caricatures lifted directly from Urban Fantasy for Dummies are so poorly fleshed out as to be virtually non-existent ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I jinxed myself. I read the first 5 pages and thought I might actually like it after procrastinating over the decision of: to read, or not to read? I blame myself for settling on the former, as many have compared it to Jim Butcher's writing. Me and that dude do not get on. We are chalk and cheese.

The humour is unfunny; it's forced. The info-dump is off-putting; too much, too fast. Dialogue-overload. Not enough description.

Atticus claims to be 2,100 or just 21 to humans. He lies to everyone but
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sort of a sucker for good snark. And I've been bemoaning the similarities of much of the fantasy I've been reading recently. So this book came around at exactly the right time, and quite enchanted me. It's not the deepest book in the world, but it was thoroughly fun and diverting, and I look forward to reading more in the series.

In the meanti
Carol.
Aug 20, 2011 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of male UF

Enjoyable, engrossing read. Definite fun. Atticus is the first praciticing druid I've read about in a long while, and it's nice to have a new take on magic in the urban fantasy line. In fact, all sorts of immortals and deities seem to be present, particularly from Celtic and Norse mythologies. They actually behave a lot like the stereotypes of gods from mythology (at least in the Greek myths I read), which is to say, manipulative, egotistical and randy. Hearne does a nice job of balancing their
Michael
Mar 04, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this first in the Iron Druid series. It reminds me a great deal of Dresden (that's a good thing). My only compaint...I didn't get as emotionally connected as I would have liked - probably beause he seemed rather nonconcerned about any conflict that would befall him. But that's a minor nitpick. (I'm a writer we always think about how we would have done things)

I highly recommend this book - especially for those that enjoy Butcher's Dresden.
AH
Awesome!

A really fun read! I barely finished the first chapter when I went online and quickly ordered the next 2 books in the series.

There is so much to like about Kevin Hearne’s book Hounded, book 1 of the Iron Druid Chronicles. Take a look at the cover. Nice. Read the blurb on the back cover. Amusing. Hounded is the story of Atticus O’Sullivan, a 2100 year old Druid living as a 21 year old in Arizona. Atticus is in possession of a magical sword Fragarach, The Answer. A whole slew of character
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Wow! Amazing 88% price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 3/17/14!**

What a great Goodreads giveaway win!

I started this book feeling a bit underwhelmed. There are a whole lot of deities mentioned in this book along with shifters, the fae, vampires, druids, and witches. Whew! I was a bit bogged down with all of the people to remember and sort through. Honestly, if I hadn't read many UF books before, I would have been completely lost. It just didn't... grab me. I could have dropped the book in the firs
Regina
2.75 stars. I listened to the audio version and the narration was good. I plan to listen to #2.

Okay, I feel sort of like the odd woman out here. Most of my goodreads friends loved this book and are gushing about it. But I just did not see what was so special about this book. I feel bad writing this review and saying this, but no this book is not a favorite.

Okay, the good things first. The writing is solid in Hounded and the pacing is good. The characters are interesting. There is not any chapt
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Let me establish up front: I’m not an urban fantasy expert. Sure, I’d heard of the genre and some of its more famous names like Harry Dresden, but I’d never actually read any of the books, so I really didn’t know what to expect when I picked up Hounded. After finishing this one though, I have now learned two things: talking dogs can be cool – even if you aren’t a kid anymore – and UF is pretty fun.

As fans of The Iron Druid Chronicles already know, our s
Brad
Oct 21, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book by a friend and since I've also had a great time with several other series in the same way, I was perfectly willing to give it a try. I have to admit that my general reaction to Urban Fantasy is somewhat less than warm, but for some odd reason I can't quite figure out, I still get sucked right in and I enjoy some of them immensely. I started with Laurell K Hamilton, and even stayed with it through the myriad sexcapades. Then I was heavily surprised and overjoyed with ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Buddy Read with Shandra, Ana, Loki, Skyla and Litchick!

Really strong for the first book in a series, and I'll most likely check out at least the second one if not the rest at some point along the way. Loved the premise and all the Celtic/Irish mythology (being of Irish, Scottish and Welsh descent myself, it just feels good to find a story that involves all of that without resorting to leprechauns right off the bat), and all the characters were fantastic. Atticus and Oberon and Granuaile and the
Phrynne
Jul 17, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily a five star book for me, and Atticus, the 2000 year old Druid, is a five star character too! This has LOTS in common with the Dresden Files which is a plus plus plus because I love the Dresden Files and have to wait patiently each year for the next in the series. This series will help me wait:) Hounded is a great read, full of magic and all the creatures that that entails plus a new to me superhero who eventually wins the ultimate battles. Oh and lots of laugh aloud moments too especially ...more
Lisa Kay
Oberon
[image error]

(This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ve never read anything by Kevin Hearne before, and I’ve never listened to Luke Daniels narrate, either. But I definitely will again! So glad I chose to listen to this one, as the pronunciation of Druid and other ancient dialects would have totally tongue-tied my mind. Even with the nicely provided “Irish Pronunciation Guide” in the front to the eBook. I couldn’t begin to attempt saying Aenghus Óg or Tuatha Dé Danann in my head, let alo
Robin (Bridge Four)
I had a lot of fun with this book. It is an introduction into Atticus’s world that seems to be full of all kinds of mythical creatures and gods. Sure there are vampires, werewolves and witches OH MY but there are also Fae, Demons, Witches and Gods from various cultures and mythologies that are not used in most of your run of the mill Urban Fantasies. I have loved other series that have included these like Kate Daniels, Immortals after Dark and Charming so I was not surprised that I very much enj ...more
Mimi
Jan 06, 2017 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2016
Not quite 3 stars but rounded up for the dog

This is another urban fantasy miss for me, but I'm not disappointed. Kinda knew it would be so when I first saw it and the blurb reminded me of Harry Dresden.

There isn't anything wrong with this book necessarily, just wrong for me. People who like UF might find it fun--fast-paced writing, lots of action, lots of funny moments, all lost on me though.

But I do like it in theory--Druid mythology, elemental magic, memorable dog sidekick, a cast of interesti
Laura Lulu
I really liked this one. Probably closer to a 3.5 star, but when a book has an Irish wolfhound quoting Eric Cartman, I'll throw him a bone with 4 stars. It was a light, fun read with great characters, fast paced action and much comic relief. I found myself snickering many a time while reading.

Atticus is a really likable character who is easy to root for. Sometimes his comments were just a bit too trendy to be coming from a 2100 year old druid, but they were usually funny, nonetheless. And Atticu
Shandra
Nov 23, 2014 Shandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read
Buddy read with Ana, Ashley, Cory, Skyla and Loki starting 10/28/14.

Initial thoughts (see below for review):
This book hooked me from page one. I was so engrossed in the story, and in absolute book heaven. Towards the middle, I became moderately disengaged. I was somewhat pulled back in towards the last section of the story, but never got that feeling the first part of the book gave me back. Review to come.

Review:

Actual rating: 2.5 I-Feel-So-Betrayed stars. No story spoilers.

I'm so angry at th
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Aug 16, 2011 The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone not offended by nudity and violence in a book
Recommended to The Pirate Ghost by: Fantasy Afictionadoes (GR)
What are you going to do for your 2,101th birthday?

You'd think life might get easier after 2100 years of practice? Atticus O'Sulivan has lived longer than Christianity has been around and he's still up to his eyeballs in evil Gods, Demons, Blood Thirsty Fea, werewolves, vampires,fickle Goddesses and wicked witches. When is the guy going to learn to stay away from things that want to rip your head off and suck your soul out of your body?

Armed with an ancient sword, a magic amulet of his own maki
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Ghost Story (The Dresden Files,  #13)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)

“Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” 275 likes
“Yer a good lad, Atticus, mowin’ me lawn and killin’ what Brits come around.” 186 likes