Start by marking “A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair” as Want to Read:
A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A gripping science-fiction novel set at the end of the 22nd century. The birthrate is falling following a nuclear power plant leak, and the government have begun manufacturing 'Reborns', new people from old.
Published September 1st 1999 by Oxford Childrens (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Intro to Sci-Fi for Young Readers
471st out of 650 books — 752 voters
The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe True Meaning of Smekday by Adam RexThe White Mountains by John ChristopherAlan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars by Daniel Pinkwater
SF for Kids--classic and new
25th out of 30 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

This is science fiction as it should be. By george!Its so very dynamic.I dont even know my own conclusion about this book, at first I sided with the 'good guys'felt sorry for them, but what they dish out for the 'bad guys'. I dont who to feel what for. I was awe stricken. The ending haunted me, that i would now have a hard time reliving the experience of re-reading it.

You must read this book.
How was this a children's book?
Sep 21, 2007 Trin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: we-own
I first read this book when I was ~13 years old. I'd 'borrowed' it from the school I was at for something to read while I was waiting for my mom to drive by and pick me up. The book never made it back to school.

Brin is a young boy with a secret. He's part of an experiment, designed to find out for The Seniors whether or not the 1940s 'reborns' they've created could ever fit in to their peaceful world. Fisk tells this interesting story predominantly from Brin's point of view.

I would *seriously* l
I read this book when I was still in junior school. So I was maybe 8 or 9. That was 1982. It had a profound affect on me.
Something similar to a cross between The Giver and Ender's Game, but with a wholly British sensibility.
rachelish Slater
Okay, it's good - in fact it might be *very* good - but it scared me to death when I was ten so who knows now? I did not see the twist coming (when I was ten) and it's stayed with me enough that I can still feel the shock 15 years later.
Dami (Damiellar)
I just loved this book when I was younger. It had some 'fun' ideas in it and was short enough to finish in a single night.
the first book i ever read and adored kick started my reading life
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Rejoice marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Babajide Ogundipe
Babajide Ogundipe marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
James Duyck
James Duyck marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Jenni added it
Apr 10, 2015
Dharesh marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
(1923–), British author of more than forty books and television scripts and a master of science fiction for children. Fisk, whose real name is David Higginbottom, grew up during the Second World War and served in the Royal Air Force. His autobiography, Pig Ignorant (1992), covers the years 1939–1941 and details his life in Soho, a bohemian section of London, where he played jazz in the evenings un ...more
More about Nicholas Fisk...