Start by marking “Trillions” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Trillions were hard, bright, tiny things which suddenly arrived, millions and millions and millions fo them, one windy day in a village called Harbourtown.

No one could explain them, much less why they had suddenly arrived. Were they a blessing, as their beauty suggested, or a deadly, inexplicable threat? A boy with a microscope was just as likely to come up with the answer
119 pages
Published 1983 by Puffin Books (first published March 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Trillions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trillions

James Lark
What a beguiling and sophisticated book this is. I read Nicholas Fisk voraciously as a child and when I saw this in a charity shop (with the evocative 1980s reprint cover, not the unappealing and frankly misleading new one) I snapped it up.

I do remember finding it a bit obtuse when I was younger and no wonder - the substance of the book is all themes and ideas, with characters and story sketched out with a minimum of fuss. That is, on the whole, a strength, and actually the characters are no wea
Mark Speed
I read this as a first edition, which I still have somewhere. A cracking read for any child, it's the story of what happens when humans encounter an alien species or life-form that we don't understand.

Sometimes it takes a child's-eye view to make sense* of things. Children trust and explore, where adults want to destroy. I have very fond memories of this novel, and I'm sure it influenced me. It's a timeless story, and I think any child would enjoy it. I wonder if ET owes something to it in terms
Mark Lawrence
I remember this book from my childhood, I may have been 9 or thereabouts and it was given to me at school if I recall correctly.

My memories are very positive (I gave the book a 4* on the basis of them) but it turns out that I never actually read past the first 3 chapters.

The first three chapters are pretty good because the idea at the heart of this book - tiny crystals raining down from space and demonstrating the ability to move together and mimic things - is pretty damn cool.

Basically this i
Mary JL
Dec 02, 2008 Mary JL rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patient 10 to 12 year olds
I am in the middle of this books so I will review when finished. So f
Progress report: It has not improved. I will probably finish, as it is a short book. One problem about reviewing children's books is I am an adult. The idea is fairly good for this book--strange crystal creature appear everywhere on earth, the characters are only average. But, no doubt, when I was 10 I woul have loved it.

This was written in 1971; does show how much sf for children has improved nowadays.

Finished. I am reluctantl
Damian Cummings
Like so many others writing a review for this, I read this at school. Will it hold up to my memory of it being a great book? Or should I stop before I ruin another one (Narnia!)...

Hmmm, my memory was combining two books into one- now what was that other book?
I first read this when I was 10 years old. It was one of the first books I borrowed from my high school library, and the first time I was aware of reading a science fiction story. I liked it enough then to go on to read more of Fisk's books, and to devour the SF sections of the school and public libraries. I came across it yesterday in a charity shop, and at 50c I couldn't refuse! Let's see if I enjoy it as much now as I did then.

Hmm. Best left as a fond memory, I think.
Steven Walters
My dad used to take me to the Library almost every weekend. I remember one weekend at the downtown Los Angeles library. I stopped running around the facility and made my way to the children's book section.

This is the book I picked up. I remember reading it non stop and still remember it fondly.

We have millions, We have billions, We have Trillions!
Jane Wynne
I read this when I was about 10 and it made such an impression on me. Reading it 40 years on was interesting as when it was written the nuclear age was upon us and nuclear weapons were considered for use. We now know the damage they do so it seems a naive story in retrospect. Glad to read it again though, interesting.
K.C. Shaw
Bad writing, bad science (even for 1971), poor characterizations, and a tedious, nonsensical plot. I had a longer review but it didn't post, but that covers it all. I was disappointed because I've read other books by Fisk and enjoyed them. This is not one of his winners.
rachelish Slater
Love everything about this book - I hesitate to say the concept's unique, because nothing is, but it's like nothing else I've ever read and I love it for that. Once again Fisk's children are 100% real and flawed and just fab.
The first book I read featuring aliens from outer space! It was fascinating.
Sophie Duncan
Read this book as a kid and loved it. Thought-provoking.
Patrick S. Ticknor
Patrick S. Ticknor marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Rebecca Brett
Rebecca Brett is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Lizz marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Joni Kolu
Joni Kolu marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Simon Evans
Simon Evans is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2015
Melanie Walker
Melanie Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Ally added it
Jun 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Freeway Fighter (Fighting Fantasy, #13)
  • Dragon's Egg / Starquake
  • Letters from a Lost Uncle
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy, #11)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Missing Persons League
  • Cryptozoic!
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • ඉර හඳ තරු මැද
  • The Lotus Caves
  • One More River
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • A Stranger Came Ashore
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • Gather, Darkness!
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Peacekeepers, Warlords and a World of Endless Conflict
(1923–), British author of more than forty books and television scripts and a master of science fiction for children. Fisk, whose real name is David Higginbottom, grew up during the Second World War and served in the Royal Air Force. His autobiography, Pig Ignorant (1992), covers the years 1939–1941 and details his life in Soho, a bohemian section of London, where he played jazz in the evenings un ...more
More about Nicholas Fisk...