Start by marking “The Cornerstone: Classroom Management That Makes Teaching More Effective, Efficient, and Enjoyable” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Do you constantly repeat instructions? Are you fighting a never-ending paper battle? Strong classroom management is the cornerstone of effective teaching, and this book will help lay the foundation for everything you want to accomplish professionally:

-Designate a place for EVERY type of classroom material

-Turn needy, disorganized children into self-reliant, responsible stu
Published May 1st 2009 by Due Season Press (first published July 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Cornerstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cornerstone

Ms.
Apr 18, 2012 Ms. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cornerstone is perhaps the only book I would give to a student teacher. This book is about all the other parts of the job: everything from what to save from year to year to how to take a class to the drinking fountain. I wish I had read this before my first year. I plan to reread at least parts of it every summer.
Carrie
I mainly read this for the chapter on avoiding the paper trap as that has always been a struggle for me as a teacher. So many papers and so little time you know?! So, in my opinion, The Cornerstone has wonderful pictures, tips, and strategies for staying organized in this teacher world! I feel much more assured than these past 6 years, that I will be able to tame the paper trap that overtakes everything.

But I also loved that this book gave some interesting tips on things that I have felt I was
Carla
Aug 06, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing
I am so far up to Part 3 in this handy Kindle edition, and as an early-ish teacher (five years), let me say I wish I had had this book as a set text when I was studying my teaching degree, and I wish I could have had its author as my first year mentor. At least this title, and its supporting website, runs a close second. Finally! Practical ideas and solutions for all the everyday issues that arise in the classroom!

I will write a full review when I finish reading, but my early impression of

The C
Tara
Jan 10, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really helpful book, especially for new teachers. She has advice for any potential problem you might encounter in the classroom, really specific strategies to reinforce positive behavior in students. She also has a lot of great tips on staying organized as a teacher, things you definitely won't learn in any teaching program. I can't wait to implement these ideas in my classroom.
Shanna
Apr 15, 2014 Shanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many useful tips in this book! Angela Watson must be a great teacher because she has solutions for almost every typical classroom concern, and you can tell she genuinely cares about her students and loves her job. Written in a very down-to-earth tone, this book is like talking to a teacher friend. Honest, practical, and my favourite teaching book so far!
Myra
Nov 30, 2013 Myra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
She's a little too rigid in her ways of managing her classroom. She also made a reference to "urban" schools which is really her code for black kids. Unfortunately, her comments are not rare; therefore, I was still able to take away some helpful ideas.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
This is an excellent book for new teachers! I have and will refer to it often!
Jennie
This is one of those books that's good to flip through before the year begins, just to remind you of the little things. It gives a little motivation.
Trista
Sep 06, 2012 Trista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacherreads
This book has many great ideas for classroom management and teacher organization. Very helpful and affirming.
Wendy Lima
Sep 21, 2013 Wendy Lima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite teaching books! Re-reading it before school starts.
Jessi
Apr 21, 2012 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. It has so many great tips for any classroom.
Kelly
Aug 15, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for primary grades. Great organization tips.
Beth Lind
Oct 10, 2015 Beth Lind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book full of good advice for teachers.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Ashley Hebert
Ashley Hebert marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Denver
Denver marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
kathleen
kathleen rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Jesus Rosas
Jesus Rosas is currently reading it
May 05, 2016
Ruth Delle
Ruth Delle marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Chloe
Chloe added it
Apr 14, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Lisa Dudgeon
Lisa Dudgeon marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Carleen Cook
Carleen Cook rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
L Michelle
L Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
MissA
MissA rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All
  • No More "I'm Done!": Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Catching Readers Before They Fall: Supporting Readers Who Struggle, K-4
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Getting the Buggers to Behave
  • The Morning Meeting Book
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning