Start by marking “The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier” as Want to Read:
The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier

The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Old Town Albuquerque potter and merchant, Hubie Schuze agrees to create unique chargers for the table settings in a soon-to-open restaurant. The fee is too enticing to pass up, although the restaurateur is not negotiable on the potting site...the plates must be made at the restaurant in Santa Fe. Grumbling about forfeiting the comforts of his tailor-made shop and home, Hub ...more
Published March 2nd 2011 by Dark Oak Mysteries

To ask other readers questions about The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier

Another great read and engaging mystery from one of my favorites, J. Michael Orenduff. I love Hubie Schuze and his strange assortment of friends. They have the best adventures, and become involved in unusual mysteries. Poor Hubie almost always gets arrested for something, but fortunately, he's (so far) managed to vindicate himself.

Here's a highly intelligent, fun, slightly dishonest protagonist you can become involved with and enjoy matching wits to see if you can come up with the answer before
Lillian Carl
I picked up this novel in Taos, and it takes place in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. It's part of a series, and is obviously not the first one, but I couldn't find anywhere in the book just what the sequence of volumes is.

The main character is Hubert or Hubie Schuze, a potter and admitted pot thief. His justification for the latter didn't set well with me, but fortunately there was no actual archaeological vandalism in the story.

Hubie gets involved with a start-up Austrian (yes, Austrian!) restaurant
Marja McGraw
The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier is a totally entertaining read. Hubert Schuze is a treasure hunter who became a pot thief due to circumstances. Hubert, or Hubie as his friends call him, is a delightful character who becomes involved in murder quite by chance. This is more of a whodunit than an action-packed thriller, and that's a nice change of pace. In this book Hubie agrees to help as a new restaurant is built. The characters, being involved in food preparation (chefs, etc.), range from fr ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The Pot Thief:Who Studied Escoffier, by J. Michael Orenduff was so interestly, humorous and fast-paced that it became a page turner for me and at times I even forgot the mystery.

This novel was filled with facts regarding the esteemed Escoffier's life, Hubie (the sleuth's) wonderful cooking (wish there were recipes,) a solid murder plot, and the thrill and chaos of opening a restuarant. It was set in Santa Fe, New Mexico which was fun because we were introduced to another fine city and it's hist
What's not to like. Easy to read, lots of food to think about enjoying and a murder mystery but wait there's more - fun characters, the landscape and, well just read it and enjoy.
Hubie gets involved with a restaurant along with his pots. Now I am hungry....

I enjoy the humor and the color in this series.
I love series!
Tom Bim
So entertaining.
Stephanie Raffel
I LOVE these book! The characters are wonderful, the plots well thought out and the humor is right up my alley. I love to cook so naturally this particular novel appealed to me a lot. Mike is an amazing author. The New Mexico settings are, I don't know, so like home? :-) I can hardly wait for the next book to come out, The Pot Thief who Studied Billy The Kid.
I really love this series and am glad there are two more waiting for me. Hubie spends a lot of time in Santa Fe helping with the opening of a new restaurant. He is designing the special plates and gets roped into doing a lot more. I enjoy spending time with these characters, and eating and drinking vicariously with them. Look Ma, no hangover!
Lisa Airey
Austrian/New Mexico fusion cuisine? Woohoo! I actually read this book first and it stood alone just fine. Then, having enjoyed the read so thoroughly, I ordered everything the author had written to date and enjoyed them all with Gruet sparkling wine and some great Tex-Mex cooking. You'll want to have both at the ready when you crack the cover.
Carol Waller
The peak of series so far. Funny, warm, sprinkled liberally inside nods to the resident of ABQ. But the zany crew of the chef's brigade are not just cardboard but feel more real than some previous disposable characters. The author is coming into his voice. And a fine one it is becoming.
Hubie Schurz has agreed to make chargers for an expensive new restaurant opening soon in Santa Fe. The owner insists that Hubie work at the restaurant, where he quickly discovers that the staff is most dissatisfied with the chef. Hubie is also lonely for his store in Albuquerque.
How can this be topped: a good mystery set in Albuquerque, returning to old fictional friends, and adding time in Santa Fe? Do all that and talk a lot about food, plus share a couple to chilie recipes. WOW
I really like this series of books, even though they are not really deep. But they are well written and this one in particular involves New Mexico and food, two of my favorite subjects.
Leslie Angel
lots of fun, as usual for this series--more about food than a mystery though. I guessed it right from the beginning, alas.
Carolyn Rose
Delightful fast read in the vein of Lawrence Block's burglar series. A good book to clear a reader's palate.
John Winkworth
Welcome to food-ville and the world of restaurant life.
Johanna Pipkin
Johanna Pipkin marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Keeley Masi
Keeley Masi marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Vojislav marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Flora Thompson
Flora Thompson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mike Orenduff grew up in a house so close to the Rio Grand that he could frisbee a tortilla into Mexico. Despite such antics, he ended up in higher education, teaching at thirteen colleges in eight states and three countries. He was also an academic dean three times, an academic vice-president twice, a president four times, and a statewide chancellor once. His supporters say he welcomes new challe ...more
More about J. Michael Orenduff...

A Pot Thief Murder Mystery (6 books)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawrence (#5)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Billy the Kid
The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawrence (#5) The Pot Thief Who Studied Billy the Kid