Start by marking “Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)” as Want to Read:
Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)

Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian #2)

In high school, Cheryl was an outcast, tolerated only because the boys considered her easy. But one night at Black Rock Park, the popular kids were strangely kind, and for the first time in her life, Cheryl’s future seemed bright. Twenty heartbreaking years later, Cheryl is dying of cancer, and wants to return to the one place where she ever knew true happiness. But there ...more
Published March 1st 1991 by Crimeline

To ask other readers questions about Precious Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precious Blood

Sharla
Dec 31, 2014 Sharla rated it liked it
I'd probably give it three and a half. It was good but a little heavy on the religious minutiae to suit me and I always hate it when a character I really like is one of the victims. Still, it was a page turner and I'm on to the next book in the series.
Debbi
Mar 02, 2015 Debbi rated it liked it
This one was a bit slower in the beginning but once Demarkian shows up the pace picks up. There was less of his circle of friends on Cavanaugh Street in this particular book, which was too bad. Otherwise, Precious Blood was an enjoyable book.

My favorite quote: "[Father] Tibor had books the way other people had dust."
Melissa Dispaltro
Feb 08, 2014 Melissa Dispaltro rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
While the story itself was good, the details were enough off that I ground my teeth while reading it. For example, in this novel set in the 1990s, the author has "altar girls" and female Eucharistic Ministers as an oddity in the Roman Catholic Church. As a former Catholic, I can tell you for certain that both of these were common as early as the late '70s, and not noteworthy even to a Cardinal. (Well, at least to an Archbishop, since there were female altar servers and Eucharistic ministers at S ...more
Eadie
Jan 16, 2016 Eadie rated it it was amazing
Book Description:
Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, deadly Friday
Former FBI agent Gregor Demarkian is doing a friend a favor when he shows up in Colchester, New York. The Cardinal Archbishop has a problem: a young woman has been most mysteriously murdered, and one of his parish priests had the strongest of reasons for wanting her dead. But Father Andrew Walsh isn't the only one with a motive. It seems that quite a number of parishioners shared a damning past with the deceased.
Some suspicious saints,
Hillary
Nov 23, 2008 Hillary rated it liked it
I actually liked this who-done-it because it felt like an old school mystery. Plus, it's all about the Catholic church and goes into the rituals and beliefs, so I found that interesting, as well. There wasn't blood and guts, just a sort of Murder She Wrote feeling. I really did see Angela Lansbury poking around, too. This was the first of the freebie reads.
Charlotte
Jun 06, 2014 Charlotte rated it liked it
Recommended to Charlotte by: 46c38932@opayq.com
One of the things that is almost unforgiveable in a mystery author is a factual error at a point that directly affects something that is critical to the story. It drags you out of the imagined world of the story and hits you upside the head with the fact that it isn't real. And it makes you wonder how much you can trust the author or the story -- what else will be wrong? Will it make a difference to how the story works out? I almost put this book down because of such an error -- but I didn't. Th ...more
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, demarkian
In this, the second in the Gregor Demarkian series, Demarkian travels to Colchester, NY at the request of John Cardinal O'Bannion. Originally, the Cardinal archbishop wanted Demarkian to help him get rid of a maddening marverick priest, Father Andy Walsh. But after the death of a former parishioner to whom Fr. Walsh had personal ties, the archbishop now wants Demarkian's help in investigating the death, which the local police have decided is suicide, a conclusion with which the archbishop is unc ...more
Sheila Beaumont
This the second book in a favorite mystery series of mine. Now that all the books have been issued as Kindle e-books, I'm able to fill in the gaps in my paperback collection and reread the whole series, which has 28 books so far.

In Precious Blood, retired FBI agent Gregor Demarkian goes to Colchester, N.Y., as a favor to his friend Father Tibor Kasparian, to help out the Cardinal whose headquarters are there, and winds up with a series of puzzling murders to solve.

These mysteries are traditional
Barbara
Sep 03, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
In my opinion, these are classic mysteries. Instead of all the cutesy and frankly, stupid antics of many cozy heroine and sometime heroes; here we have an intelligent, thoughtful and competent investigator - after all, he is a former FBI agent.

I don't even mind his private musings and the tangents he sometimes goes off on in his thoughts. I find them interesting and often thought provoking. I concede that they might annoy some people however.

The mysteries are complex. There are usually enough
Janice
Sep 10, 2012 Janice rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This book was published in 1991, and is the second in this series; I read the first one about the time this one came out, so it has been many years. I don't think it dawned on me until now that this is called the "Holiday" series; this one takes place around Good Friday, and Easter. The retired FBI detective who is the main character of this series, Gregor Demarkian, lives in the Armenian community of Philadelphia, but in this book he travels to Golchester N.Y., to assist the Catholic Cardinal t ...more
BeParticular
Mar 10, 2016 BeParticular rated it liked it
This was just an okay read. Far too little of Gregor Demarkian and far too much of the various suspects and Catholic church practices. The murderer's method was interesting, but the motivation was pretty hard to believe.
Leigh Mccullough
Must read

Reminds my of being 13 & reading Agatha Christie, it's like chocolate, you have to read them all. This is my 2nd read of all of them, just as fun as the 1st.
Sk888888
Sep 10, 2014 Sk888888 rated it really liked it
Skipping around in this series, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference - Gregor Demarkian is a delight, no matter where he goes to solve his murder mysteries.
Kyrie
Jan 25, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, religion
A mystery set in a church and so different from the one I just read.
I appreciate that Haddam explains all the terms when she uses obscure religious ones.

It took a little bit of settling into this story. The opening segments drew me in, then I couldn't quite figure out what was going on with Gregor and why Tibor wanted him to go to Colchester. Once I got past that I couldn't quit reading. Okay, quitting reading would mean I had to clean house, so that was an incentive to keep going. Still I like
Ktcarroll
May 01, 2014 Ktcarroll rated it really liked it
The book left me with questions at the end. Not has believable as her other books.
Babette
Jan 19, 2009 Babette rated it liked it
This is the second installment in the Gregor Demarkian series. Because it has been a long time since I read the first book, I had some memory lapse about the Philadelphia friends and neighbors. But that did not keep me from enjoying this book.
Gregor is an intelligent character, a retired, much-respected FBI agent and recent widower whose integrity is beyond question. He is quick to glean the truth from the mass of information he is given to solve a crime. There is humor in these books, but the i
Ricki
Jun 22, 2013 Ricki rated it it was amazing
I am going back and reading all of Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian books,as I am sure I have missed several over the years! Haddam's Demarkian mysteries are good despite the danger of the cutesy holiday premise. The ones with a religious setting such as this one are particularly good. Demarkian is an expert at wending his way through tight-lipped communities with secrets of their own. An ex-FBI often called into consult on delicate cases and a murder in a Catholic church is more than delicate. Wr ...more
Robin Miller
Jan 17, 2015 Robin Miller rated it liked it
Two Jane Haddam Books was enough for me. Too slow.
Bill
Apr 08, 2013 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-us, detective
An enjoyable mystery. I liked being introduced to Gregor Demarkian, the 'Armenian - American Hercule Poirot' again. It's unfortunate that his two side-kicks, Father Tibor and Bennis Hannaford, didnt' accompany him on this trip to Chesterfield, NY as they do add something to the Demarkian mysteries. Having said that, it was still an excellent mystery, well-paced and interesting. The resolving of the mystery was somewhat pat, but didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. It was well-written ...more
Dennis Fischman
Mar 29, 2014 Dennis Fischman rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
On the plus side, this book gave me a vivid sense of what it would be like to live in small, overwhelmingly Catholic town in upstate New York, an experience I'd never have otherwise. On the other, none of the characters were remotely appealing. If it weren't for the viewpoint character, Gregor Demarkian, I would have never finished the book.
Sandy
Jun 30, 2016 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Having discovered the early books are available as ebooks I picked up this series again after reading, and loving, the first. I liked the Roman Catholic Easter details (though I can't verify their authenticity). I found the ending a bit unsatisfying as I wanted more details of the victim and murderer prior life together. Onto to #3 which has a July 4th background.
Book Concierge
Feb 14, 2016 Book Concierge rated it it was ok
A 20-year-old teenage indiscretion comes back to haunt the central characters of this murder mystery that takes place at Easter. Haddam would have us believe that Gregor Demarkian is “the Armenian-American Hercule Poirot.” I’m not so sure. It’s poorly plotted, with lots of red herrings. I think the author is trying too hard.
Mary
Aug 25, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
The second in the Demarkian series, this is a fun, 'cozy'-type mystery. I always enjoy a mystery with good characters, some interesting trivia (this time about the workings of a Catholic parish), and a dwindling list of suspects!
Mimi
Dec 23, 2013 Mimi rated it it was ok
Not as strong of an entry in this series as the first, I think she had a few too many balls in the air to juggle. I'm still looking forward to continuing the series, though
Jo Ellen
Sep 28, 2013 Jo Ellen rated it it was ok
I don't understand why I liked Jane Haddam so much. This book is so hackneyed. I might try one more of hers just to make sure she really is as bad as this book suggests.
Joanne
Jan 21, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
New author for me. Enjoyed this mystery. Felt like an Agatha - old school, focus on the people and what makes them tick. Will read more of this series.
Lee
Not the best of this series by Jane Haddam, but entertaining enough...and I just finished reading it.
Theresa
I'm back reading the "Armenian Hercule Poirot."
Lesley
Feb 25, 2012 Lesley rated it really liked it
Still on my Haddam rereading
Teresa
Nov 04, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
Love this series!
  • The Passover Murder (Christine Bennett, #7)
  • Banking on Death (John Putnam Thatcher, #1)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Meditations with Meister Eckhart
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • The Suspect
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,
More about Jane Haddam...

Gregor Demarkian (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Gregor Demarkian, #11)

“Police Headquarters was a relief. It was a monument to municipal graft in the twenties, when graft had really been graft, and Gregor could look on it with fondness. Politicians on the take didn’t invent a lot of pious nonsense for themselves in those days. They stole and knew they were stealing and reveled in it. Then they came up with something suitably high-minded to say on public occasions. To Gregor’s mind, that beat the tortured self-justifications of the present collection of venal senators and psychopathic congressmen by a mile and a half.” 0 likes