Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts

Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This superb collection of dessert recipes—from bestselling author of Amish fiction Wanda E. Brunstetter—will transport your taste buds to the slow lane, where life is meant to be savored and appreciated. You’ll be delighted with this wunderbaar gut (wonderful good) volume, as you open your heart (and kitchen) to the delicious desserts and simple ways of the Plain People.

Published July 1st 2011 by DayMaker

Laurie Carlson
Wanda E Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook Desserts by WandaBrunstetter

This book is a delicious collection of delectable, tastysounding, homemade desserts worth making. They are collected by Amish friends of Wanda Brunstetter's,the author. I wrote down several recipesto put in my recipe book as keepers! Iwant to try these out for myself. Thedesserts in this cookbook are an assortment of goodies you can make with ingredients/staplesyou probably already have in your cupboards. This is an excell...more
Ruth
While this post will be published June 1, I actually wrote it the Saturday after Easter--the publisher doesn't like reviews coming out too long before the publication date. In any case, I went to Weight Watchers this morning, and, for the first time since January, had a weight gain. One reason I'm sure is that I made a version of one of the recipes in this book (though I did lighten it up with fat-free Cool Whip and fat-free cream cheese). The other reasons I'm sure had to do with jelly beans an...more
Jodie
Just in case there was any question remaining...I love most any book that is about the Amish or contains Amish recipes, prayers, insight, etc. This recipe book did not let me down. I will say that I'm not sure all of the recipes will conjure up an image of the Amish, except for maybe the simplicity of some of them. I love recipe books that have recipes containing only 2 or 3 ingredients! You just can get much easier than that! For example, Ice Cream Jell-o calls for only two ingredients, and I b...more
Maurisa
This is my first experience with the Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbooks. There are some great recipes here, even though some of them don't seem especially Amish. Take the Granny Smith Apple Dessert: it has Mountain Dew in it! This challenges my expectations of authentic Amish food!

The recipe directions are clear (with the exception of whether the recipe calls for salted butter or unsalted butter) and user-friendly. There are no calorie listings, serving sizes, or anything like that...more
Katie
I'm not really sure what our complete curiosity that comes with anything Amish for those of us who aren't, but I was really looking forward to some great old timey desserts when I opened this book.

Inside I found quite a few standard dessert recipes, several of them had margarine in them, which was surprising (don't the Amish churn their own butter?). The inclusion of margarine made me cringe, but I thought that perhaps there would be some really exceptional rarities found within the pages of thi...more
Judy
I felt the best way to review a cookbook was to test the recipes.

I made the Apple Dapple Cake and Key Lime Pie.

Both recipes took very few ingredients and they were both easy to make. Very little time

was needed in the preparation.

We belong to a home church and each Sunday we have a potluck after the service.

We made these desserts for that potluck.

I was afraid the cake would not make it there. It is one of those foods that is easy to slice

an inch off a time and eat. And the family was doing a goo...more
Sallee
I enjoyed this cookbook as it was full of information on the different Amish communities and the recipes were simple and sounded delicious. I know I will enjoy making some of these and sharing them with my family.
Kathy
What a delightful accompaniment to Wanda Brunstetter's wonderful books about the Amish...Wunderbar Gut Desserts From The Heart of Amish Country! This cookbook is beautifully illustrated with photographs of the Amish life as well as mouthwatering pictures of the desserts. Mmmm...Shoofly Pie, Apple Pandowdy, Magic Cobbler, Strawberry Divinity...the list of delicious Amish desserts goes on and on.

The book contains the following chapters:

Cakes
Candy
Cookies and Bars
Ice Cream, Toppings and Frozen D...more
Maureen Timerman
I enjoy looking at this book over and over. The recipes are wonderful, and the enticing pictures are great...and mouth watering! Love the beginning of the book with the short story about the Amish and Mennonite History.
As it says in the book "Wunderbaar Gut (Wonderful Good) Desserts from the Heart of Amish Country!"
There are collections of Cakes, Candy, Cookies & Bars, Ice Cream, Toppings & Frozen Desserts, Pies, Puddings & Cobblers, and Other Desserts.
There are so very many wonderfu...more
Gail Welborn

Wanda E, Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts, Daymaker, 2011, 160 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1616262921, $16.99

In the weeks before the holidays I look for and experiment with new recipes. Successful easy-to-make recipes (that everyone wants more of) are then added to my “keeper” file and become part of traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.

Best-selling author, Wanda Brunstetter’s new Amish dessert cookbook, with lavish photographs of mouth-watering recipes, thoughts, quotes and colorf...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

As I paged through this book, I found dozens of recipes that I want to try. Cake, cookies, candy, pudding, pies, cobblers, bars and ice cream recipes are featured with easy-to-read instructions and ingredients you have on your kitchen shelves. The color pictures are a perfect accompaniment. "Wunderbar Gut."

Paula L. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Janet
I just reviewed Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts and enjoyed it very much. There are many recipes I am anxious to try and I loved the pictures of some of the food and also of the amish ways, traditions, etc.

I probably would have liked a few more pictures but the ones that were there were very well done.

Off to try to make the Oatmeal Cake now.

Sandra Lewis
Great recipes to fix.
Teresa Da
Teresa Da marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Shirley Dolin Snider
Shirley Dolin Snider marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Tina Rice
Tina Rice marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Dyann Saal
Dyann Saal marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Teena Gainor
Teena Gainor marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Connie
Connie added it
Nov 05, 2013
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Teresa Schulz
Teresa Schulz marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Becky Samples
Becky Samples marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Susan Q
Susan Q marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Lavonda
Lavonda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins Trilogy #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)

“If you are too busy to pray, you are busier than God wants you to be.” 48 likes