Start by marking “Beyond Rules: A Dilettante's Guide to Personal Sovereignty, Space Travel, and Lots of Ice Cream” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews
In 2009, the average employed American spent 8.7 hours of his day at work.

We work more than we sleep.
We work more than we eat.
We work more than we cook, talk with friends, have sex, take walks, paint pictures, eat ice-cream, write books, play with children, pursue hobbies, make sports, drink in shabby bars, and think about our lives.1

If we work that much, it should better
Published March 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Rules

Cara
"Think for yourself" -- yes yes yes!!

My natural tendency is to do as I'm told. I need all the help I can get breaking out of the expected. Living on autopilot is easy but not satisfying--a waste of life.

...

In the first two days of owning this book, I broke the rules by:
- extracting the text of this book and printing in a paper-saving format (sorry, Fabian, your layout was beautiful, but the last thing I need is more screen time! and your way would have killed a LOT of trees).
- walking to the cr
Janet
This book offers a clear message about the incredible freedom it is possible for us all to enjoy, delivered in the tone of your wise-cracking -- but very wise -- best friend.

It's all about becoming self aware, understanding your own values and desires, and then acting them -- unfettered by the weight of society's rules. There is no selfishness here, however. Kruse offers a vision of a personal world transformed joyously, with the expectation that each person behaves kindly to others.

Deina
Deina is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2011