Follow My Lead: What Training My Dogs Taught Me about Life, Love, and Happiness

Follow My Lead: What Training My Dogs Taught Me about Life, Love, and Happiness

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Follow My Lead is the story of how two rambunctious dogs and a tough Eastern European dog trainer named Irina taught Carol Quinn everything she needed to know about life, love, and happiness. It all begins when the author—unhappy with her failing love affair, her career, and even herself—decides to enroll her two Rhodesian ridgebacks into dog agility training. She's hoping...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about Follow My Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow My Lead

Minna
It was okay. I couldn't help but feel that the author was a bit of a doormat, which was particularly surprising in a woman who could successfully train two hounds (notoriously difficult to train) so effectively. I am glad she found some closure in her life, but I have to say that I was more interested in her process of training her two ridgebacks to perform in agility. I have considered doing agility with my dog, but have been resistant as she (like most Ridgebacks) is not all that reliably obed...more
Trish
If you love dogs, you will enjoy this book. Gave me more insight to my dogs and I also realized the truth of the similarity between dogs and people. I had not thought of this perspective before and enjoyed making the connections. Food for thought -- Remember the treats (rewards) needed for happy relationships.
Kim
Really terrific memoir, which blends the sport of dog agility with the author's growing self-awareness. She does a masterful job of writing a memoir and talking about how agility plays into her life (and her dogs' life) so well.
Mark Mccarragher
This was a wonderful book. Was very inspirational and well written. I will defiantly be keeping my eyes out for further books written by Carol Quinn, and will also be checking out her other titles.
Ashley
A cute, quick read. The structure of the chapters was kind of jarring at first; each chapter has lots of little sub-chapters that didn't always flow smoothly. I felt like it was part memoir, part animal behavior discussion, and part dog agility 101. Each was interesting, but I think they could have been combined more seamlessly.

Quinn is immensely likeable, though, and that shone through every page. She's one of those people who is so devoted to her dogs, leans on them in hard times, works her b...more
Lis Carey
Carol Quinn has two large, energetic, complicated dogs, a difficult boyfriend, and The Dog Trainer From Heck. That last is my opinion, not hers. This book is her memoir of how training her Ridgebacks, Nairobi and, eventually, Sheila, helps her to get to know herself better. She learns to appreciate her own good qualities, value her successes, respect her own way of working, and forgive herself for her imperfections.

Quinn was a divorced mother of two children when she got her first Rhodesian Ridg...more
Zann
I have a Rhodesian of my own, so I loved all the photos as well as the descriptions of the dogs and their personalities. I did find a contradiction within the text though. I would imagine if you're recounting events which actually happened, then you wouldn't offer two completely different versions of a particular event. For example...on page 52, the author describes the events which led up to her acquiring her dog, Zoe. (The condensed version is that she found this dog on the street, wandering i...more
Krysten Kruger
i had high hopes for this book. i guess.... too high. i didn't feel that it was well written. she seemed like such a doormat it was very off putting. and her trainer was all over the place. I liked her in the very beginning but I couldn't handle all her (the trainer's) freak outs and melt downs. I ended up giving up and putting it down about 2/3rds of the way in. I had other books lined up and couldn't be bothered finishing this one!
Helena
I was expecting more info on dog training, but the only thing she says about that specifically is to discuss how one must give a dog a reward--usually treats--to train it to do something. She talks a lot about her dog agility class/training, but mostly in terms of how it also applies to her own life. It's an okay read, just lots of introspection--if you'd like information on training methods, look elsewhere.
Great book! What a well-written, thought-provoking, insightful work linking learning life's lessons and relating them to understanding and training one's dogs (and one's self)! Full of quotable wisdom, as well as entertaining, anecdotal asides. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be keeping it close at hand for reference!
Susan Shepard
I *loved* this book! She's frank and honest about her life with her dogs - warts and all are shared with us. I learned a lot about how to approach life and that I'm not alone with having a dog with quirks. I'm now even more interested in trying agility with my dogs. Give this book a read, you might learn something too!
Jen
I could relate to so much of it. How my anxiety tends to undermine my training attempts, how he reflects my energy for better or worse, and how my life perspective is permanently altered for the better because of loving a dog.
Christine
Rather boring writing style. I will keep reading because I believe we can learn much from our dogs. maybe this author will improve as the story continues. (By mid July, I have given up.)
Marg
I was expecting more of an agility tie in, and less about the author's boyfriend.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sara Lorance
Sara Lorance marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Maura Bushior
Maura Bushior marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Jordan
Jordan added it
Aug 05, 2014
Micah
Micah marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Selina Young
Selina Young marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Connie
Connie added it
Jun 26, 2013
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

“It’s intelligent to bond. Belonging makes you strong. Relying on others creates connections. And maneuvering through life with a pack is a whole lot more interesting than trying to go it alone.” 0 likes
“Pay attention to the good stuff, deal with the bad. It’s an unsigned contract we’re bound by; if you want to live, you have to accept life’s terms. It seems simple; it is when everything is going well. When we’re shocked out of complacency, that’s when faith and determination are tested. For those of us who vacillate, who have an unsure relationship with our place in life, every test is an opportunity to believe. Every traumatic event, big or small, is just another chance to take an option on the “life deal,” to assert a contextual framework that declares: This is all worth it.” 0 likes