Start by marking “How to Solve Our Human Problems: The Four Noble Truths” as Want to Read:
How to Solve Our Human Problems: The Four Noble Truths

How to Solve Our Human Problems: The Four Noble Truths

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this busy world, negative states of mind, such as uncontrolled desire and anger, create endless problems for ourselves and others, and prevent us from fulfilling our deepest wishes. Buddha's popular teaching on the Four Noble Truths offers a clear and simple solution, guiding us to an oasis of boundless peace within our hearts.
Published January 1st 2005 by Tharpa Publications (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Solve Our Human Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Solve Our Human Problems

Mark
There's a certain style to writings on Buddhism or meditation-type topics that drives me crazy. I've struggled to identify what it is exactly about the style that bothers me and I've settled on the fact that it's simultaneously specific yet vacuous. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's writing is no exception as he regularly throws out broad statements that I'm unable to get much meaning out of. Am I supposed to just accept what he says and keep reading?
There is no less suffering in the world today, and there
Jamie George-holland
Although this books subtitle is the Four Noble Truths, the bulk of the book is dedicated to the topic of solving our anger with patience, and is thus invaluable in our world. It is actually a commentary to the Buddhist Master Shantideva's chapter on Patience in his masterpiece "Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life" and is probably the clearest English language commentary on this topic ever to be written.
Paulette Ponte
Excellent, easy to read guidance to live a happy peaceful life, however, easy to read is one thing putting this information into practice seems extremely difficult. Like everything else, you just have to have faith and take it one day at a time.
Tim
Jan 04, 2013 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: dropped

I finished most of this book and I really liked some of it. Still, I have a difficult time grasping all of the concepts presented. All in all very educational, but I prefer Tich Nacht Hanh's style more.
Audrey
Interesting book.
Cindy
This is one of my favorite books by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. It uses Buddha's Four Noble Truths as the basis for helping us solve our human problems. While it may seem very simple it is also very profound. On the very first page it states that our problems do not exist outside our mind. Sounds simple and logical but how can we use that information to create peace and happiness and solve our human problems. Read the book. You won't be disappointed.
Summer
Wonderful book that really does give you ways to solve the mundane and not-so-mundane problems we humans experience. This is one of those books you will read and then re-read and make notes in - it's sort of a manual for your life. Looking forward to many re-readings!
Lisa

Basically our human problems will be solved if everyone takes care of themselves. You can change the world by changing yourself. By controlling ones mind, it is possible to eliminate suffering by denying the power delusions have over us. Delusions are mind experiences that result in anger, sadness, or jealousy through our attachments. By exercising control over one's mind (through mediation), virtues become stronger and happiness becomes less fleeting.

This is an easy to read book with relation
Morgan Demars
I could read this book every day and still learn something new! If you could only read one book about Buddhism I would recommend this one.
Manuel
Really practical and useful. Buddhism really is a practical way of solving problems.
The first part of the book is the explanation of The Four Noble Truths which are:

"You should know sufferings.
You should abandon origins.
You should attain cessations.
You should practise the path."

The second part is based on the advantages of practising the patience, avoiding anger and accepting suffering.

The appendix include a short explanation of the Mind's Buddhist conception and on meditation.
Very helpful book
Ken French
Good distillation of Kadampa Buddhist teachings. Now on to Zen.
Manna
Feb 01, 2008 Manna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I have learned so much from reading this book. My problems with anger have dramatically decreased since this book has come into my life. I have found ways to calm my mind, and not allow the anger to envelope me and control me as it used to.

THIS IS AN AWESOME BOOK for anyone who struggles in life, therefore, it would be perfect for anyone
Cori
Jan 04, 2009 Cori is currently reading it
Bhuddism definitely has something to offer. I can't buy everything, but most of it is super useful. :) Plus Geshe Kelsang is an awesome old man who apparently once tried to take a frog with him on an airplane or into another country, he loves animals-that and my best friend is a Bhuddish nun.
Heather
It is a great book to read if you want to live a life of peace. Helps you cope with life in a healthy way. We need to learn to detach from our feelings and look in from the outside then we can cope with our problems more constructively. Also learning patient acceptance is key.
Randi Taylor-Habib
Great book for breaking down high tech spiritual information into an easy reading format. Talks about the state of our planet as a reflection of inner health, and how to heal our anger problem and considering others, very sweet and trustworthy book.
Kim
Interesting book, and a required precursor to a course that I am taking on Buddhism introduction. So will be interested to see how it coincides with the teachings.
Jack Thomas
This is truly a great book, that will help anyone deal with the everyday issues that come up to interfere with inner peace.
Kris
Read it in conjunction with a dharma class two years ago. It still resonates with me.
Petunia
I will prob. have to go back and re-read this book from time to time.
If you have anger issues, this is an excellent book to read.
Steven Spector
A gentle introduction to Buddhism.
Duane
Excellent teachings.
Sarah added it
Jan 28, 2015
Donnamaggie
Donnamaggie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Kyle
Kyle added it
Jan 04, 2015
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Heart of the World: A Journey to the Last Secret Place
  • Why I Am a Buddhist: No-Nonsense Buddhism with Red Meat and Whiskey
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Buddha: His Life and Teachings and Impact on Humanity
  • The Law of Attraction
  • Buddhism With An Attitude: The Tibetan Seven-Point Mind Training
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully accomplished meditation master and internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, particularly know for the revival of the Kadampa school of Tibet.

From the age of eight Geshe-la studied extensively in the great monastic universities of Tibet and earned the title ‘Geshe’, which literally means ‘spiritual friend’. Under the guidance of his Spiritual Guide, Ky
More about Kelsang Gyatso...
Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom: Volume 1 Sutra (Modern Buddhism, #1) Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey

“Our problems do not exist outside our mind.” 1 likes
“It is very important to identify the actual cause of whatever unhappiness we feel. If we are forever blaming our difficulties on others, this is a sure sign that there are still many problems and faults within our own mind.” 0 likes