Start by marking “Open Season” as Want to Read:
Open Season

Open Season

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  14,588 Ratings  ·  654 Reviews
Daisy Minor, a small-town librarian, has a wardrobe as sexy as a dictionary and hasn't been on a date in years. One makeover later, she has transformed herself into a party girl extraordinaire -- and it's open season for man hunting. But on her way home late one night, Daisy sees something she's not supposed to see and is suddenly the target of a killer. . .
Audio CD, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published (first published July 1st 2001)

♥Sharon♥
Nov 17, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I haven’t read many Linda Howard books but for the ones that I have I did enjoy then. She is certainly a talented author. Open Season was such a fun book to read. I was hooked right from the get go and just let the story unfold ignoring some of the predictability.

The two main characters were fantastic together. Daisy Minor was a 34 year old Librarian who was about to find her inner tiger that would finally snag a guy of husband material. She was done with being plain Jane and all about becoming
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Tis' the (Open) Season.

There isn't much more to say than what this picture will cover because the word "condom" was used a couple dozen times in this book.

There were seventy-two condoms purchased in the production of this story.
Maybe she needed to warn Chief Russo to keep a close eye on aisle five at Clud's Pharmacy, because judging by the variety offered here, there were some hinky things going on in Hillsoboro.

No, hinky was not a typo. I swore it was kinky the first time I read it, which
Sandra
Apr 11, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Linda
Small-town librarian Daisy Minor wakes up on her thirty-fourth birthday and realizes she is tired of her life--tired of being boring, tired of her drab clothes and her mousy brown hair, tired of not having a boyfriend. She decides it's time for a change. So she gives herself a makeover--she starts using make-up, she buys new clothes, she colors her hair blonde. She looks for a home of her own (she is still living at home with her mother and her aunt). She wants to get married and start a family ...more
Lisa Kay
Daisy needs some protection.

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Oh, I had to be bad and get this one! I know I only gave the hardcover of this one four stars, but it has some of my favorite themes along with one of my favorite authors, so I splurged and got the audiobook. I’m so glad I did, as Deborah Hazlett does a great job narrating. She handles this fast-paced Romantic Suspense with ease and perfect diction, while her pace, volume, and tone do not fluctuate. The male voices aren’t quite pe
♡Karlyn P♡
Loved it! Couldn't put it down. When Linda Howard nails it, she certainly does a spectacular job. I think this might have been even better as an audiobook, as the narrator had a great voice for both male and female characters, she captured the humor, and made me believe I was really listening to these characters.

Daisy and Jack were a great romance H/h pair, the suspense was really good but never over-the-top, the humor was a great surprise (their conversations around a 'party pack' of condoms w
Ingela
Written January 4, 2015

4 Stars - Well written, well thought out, well told and superbly well narrated - a great one!

It was once again time for a Linda Howard story. This one was once recommended by Kathleen (4.5 stars). - Hopefully a great (with a lot of high ratings) m/f CR to be experienced in a 9 hrs audiobook edition.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Glad and smiling as usual - Ms H gives me what I like..
Yet another excellent quality romance with a good thrilling suspense plot and two very lovely, or actually amusing funny,
Saly
This book so lived up to its hype, the heroine was a stereotypical librarian, with her nose in books, living with her aunt and mother when she got up on her 34th birthday and realized her life was passing her by, she was mousy, her hair, her clothes everything sucked and that if she didn't do anything she would never have the family she wanted, so she slowly starts working on it and her aunt and mom help. I loved how she was about money and her prissy tone especially with the Yankee police chief ...more
Kathleen
Updated for audio: 4.5 stars (half-point lost due to major quibble with the ending, as noted below). Good audio. Solid narration by Deborah Hazlett. I have read this book and now I've listened to it. Unabridged. No matter how many times I "read" it, I always laugh. Daisy and Jack are such a kick! Plus, an audiobook makes cabinet polishing go faster.

This is one of Howard's best (even though the make-over fashion scenes went on too long). Jack Russo, a former SWAT cop from NYC, is the new chief o
MelissaB
This was a very fun book to read! I enjoy the interaction between Daisy and Jack. I was rooting for Daisy to get the life she wanted and for Jack to win her over. Daisy was very funny, I loved the condomn scene and her rational for buying them (so people would know she was on the look out for a man). I loved the small southern town atmosphere and the characterizations the author used. Great story and enjoyable romance!
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

I loved this! It's a funny, sexy, and entertaining read about quirky, prudish librarian Daisy, whose makeover and clubbing misadventures get her into trouble when she becomes an unknowing witness to a criminal operation, and HOT, protective alpha cop hero Jack Russo who comes to her rescue (in and out of the bedroom!). It's lots of fun and the romance is steamy!
Jamie
Mar 05, 2016 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fav LH book come and gone again... I loved this one as much this time as I have the other several times I've read it. First time was in paperback years ago. As I've been saying all week on my LH re-read tour..no one does rom suspense like her. This one didn't have the creepy villain factor like most of her others do, and the suspense was kept to a minimal... he H/h still had the awesome chemistry going on as they smoked out the bad guys.
Eastofoz
This book is excellent nearly from start to finish! Howard writes with so many different tones and does so exceptionally well. The book starts out with hope, then gets creepy, frightening, horrific, light, fun, hilarious, serious and just wonderful! Some parts make you shudder at how horrible and disgusting things are and some are so funny you have tears in your eyes. For fans of Sandra Hill this is certainly a book to consider in terms of belly aching hilarity!

The love story between Daisy and J
Lady Heather

I really liked this story.

Jack and Daisy are amazing together.

The writing, characters, and story are great.

All I can say is.... I'm glad Daisy won't have to buy a "Party Pack" ever again:))

Photobucket
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, AUGUST 2013: DNF
Narrator: Deborah Hazlett

This was a DNF in audio:(
The narrator was okay (my first audiobook with her narrating) but, to my utter surprise, I found the story way too 'chicklitty', something that I didn't feel despite when I read the paperback - twice (see my review below) and giving it 4 stars both times.

What made it a DNF? The part covering Daisy's makeover. It's a pet dislike, together with wedding preparations and weddings. I found it a yawn and it went on
Ally72
Nov 21, 2010 Ally72 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book and it was so different from the other Linda Howard book I read several months ago. "MacKenzie's Mountain" was very good, but this was fun! Daisy was such an adorable character and Jack was the perfect boyfriend for her (even when she did not know it). Now, I cannot wait to read Linda Howard's other books! The hard part will be finding my next book to top this one. Thank-you, MelissaB for talking about this book a couple of weeks ago because I probably would not have rea ...more
Sophie ♥
Fun Stuff! When I picked up this book, I certainly wasn't expecting the story I ended up getting - but I really enjoyed this! Granted it's not as pent up with angst and danger as Shades Of Twilight and After the Night were but this story holds its own. This is probably the most light-hearted Linda Howard book I've read. The suspense was certainly there but it wasn't the kind that tore my nerves to pieces. I kind of liked how she toned down the elements of danger and mystery. The excitement of ro ...more
Nefise
Apr 20, 2016 Nefise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nefise by: Jill
3.5 stars...

Sometimes l can't be sure how l feel about this authors book. Some of them are really good, some of them are boring. Yet, l am sure about that she is quite good creating excited plot with an intriguing suspense.

This book also is not exception of her other books based on exciting plot. I really liked suspense part. Although, we know who are the bad guys, l read in wonder how they were stopped.
Romance part is always questionable when the author is Linda Howard. I can't say l didn't l
Yolanda
Dec 17, 2015 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustan los libros de la Howard, me hacen pasar buen rato y con este he estado intrigada y me he reído y por eso le doy 4
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Shadow's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

This delightful book is one of Linda Howard's best-an impressive accolade considering her incredible ability to tell a story.

Daisy Minor wakes up on the morning of her 34th birthday and decides its time for a makeover. She wants a husband and family and decides that her mousy librarian look has to change. So does living with her mother and aunt-she needs her own place. With those goals in mind, she goes to the town's gay man with idea he can
Kathy
Sep 02, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leona
Jan 07, 2013 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved it! This was fast paced, emotionally charging, yet extremely fun to read. The characters were delightful and I found myself actually laughing out loud. I so rarely get the chance to do that with a book, so when it happens, I am tickled pink!

Daisy is sweet, smart, sexy and oh so fun. Chief Jack Russo, epitomizes the word "hunk"....and the party pak scene was a hoot.

This was entertainment!
Zumbagirl
4.5/5 stars
Always on the lookout for new authors and good stories - heard about Linda Howard and I'm glad I gave her a try! Open Season was a humorous, fast-moving story filled with likeable characters - a 34-year-old librarian, Daisy, who has no life aside from her job and family and Jack, a police chief, who is pretty hot stuff. At first, I really didn't get them and didn't see how their relationship would work out. It started out more like he was her protector/guardian. But quickly enough, th
Ian
Dec 09, 2011 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a couple of reasons why I shouldn't like this book;

1. In part it deals with the topic of sexual slavery. That is women and sometimes children being treated as a commodity to be bought, sold and if no longer useful to be disposed of. I really can't deal with this issue, it's just too heartbreaking.

2. It's something of a Pygmalion story...a mousy unattractive librarian gets a make-over by a man, and all of a sudden brawls are starting because of her.

So, why do I like it? Your guess is
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 "Miss Daisy" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Melanie
4.5 stars, on June 25:-)

Old-fashioned Southern Daisy meets big tough SWAT Yankee Jack Russo in small-town Alabama... what's not to like!

My favorite scene remains when Daisy buys the Party-Pak and discovers what flavors are inside:-p

Reread it on Nov 17th, and loved it just as much! Still as funny, and now it's a 5 star book!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Loved it! One of my favorites by Linda Howard. Definitely a keeper to reread over and over again. Daisy Minor is 34 years old and its time for a change. The librarian is ready to break out of her shell and live. Enter the small town chief of police, Jack Russo. 'Nuff said.
Alicia J
I adore this story. It's one of those that keeps me laughing out loud.
Celeste
Jul 24, 2008 Celeste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic suspence
Shelves: favorites
I love this book! It's funny, entertaining, suspenseful, and HOT!
Julianna
May 19, 2016 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Humorous Contemporary Romance or Romantic Suspense
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Open Season was my first read by Linda Howard. It’s been on my TBR pile for a while, and I’m glad I finally got around to reading it. The story has an interesting mix of flavors. It’s part straight-up contemporary romance and part romantic suspense. The contemporary parts lean toward the humorous side with Daisy’s transformation having something of a chick-lit vibe to it. While I hesitate to call it a romantic comedy, some of her scenes with Jack do end up bei
KatieV
This was a very charming little story. Honestly, the narrator probably gained it a 1/2 star to a star. That's not because the story isn't fun on it's own, it's just a bit on the lighter side (no angst, no over the top crazy) and the narrator did a good job keeping me engaged.

Warning: The first chapter/prologue is disturbing as it sets the scene for the bad guys, who are into sex trafficking. Thank God it wasn't too graphic, but since it was told from one of the victims POV it was heartbreaking.
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Woman On The Run
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Shadow Dance
  • To the Brink (The Bodyguards, #3)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • One Summer
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Trust Me

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...