Start by marking “Lovers and Ladies (Lovers and Ladies, #5&6)” as Want to Read:
Lovers and Ladies (Lovers and Ladies, #5&6)

Lovers and Ladies (Lovers and Ladies #5-6)

In these two delectable novels, someone craves to be married and loses sight of the joys of true love—until their heart is opened unexpectedly...

The Fortune Hunter : A stunning beauty rejects the charming suitor who isn't wealthy enough to save her impoverished family. But she can't so easily dismiss the memory of their sweet shared kiss.

Deirdre and Don Juan : The dash
Published April 1st 2008 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Lovers and Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovers and Ladies

Ana T.
Jul 01, 2008 Ana T. rated it liked it

Now for the first time in a single volume: two long unavailable yet beloved romance classics from a New York Times bestselling favorite.

In these two delectable novels, someone craves to be married and loses sight of the joys of true love-until their heart is opened unexpectedly...

The Fortune Hunter-A stunning beauty rejects the charming suitor who isn't wealthy enough to save her impoverished family. But she can't so easily dismiss the memory of their sweet shared kiss.

Deirdre and Don Juan-Th
penelopewanders
Lovers and Ladies
This is actually two separate novels - The Fortune Hunter is the first, and in this case it is not some down at the heel rogue seeking to marry a heiress, but rather the heroine seeking a fortune. She has decided the only way to help her family is to look very high, or perhaps deep, to find someone - no matter the social circle- be it in trade or the aristocracy- wealthy enough to get her family back on their feet and allow her sisters to marry for love.
Her strong antipathy to H
Lynne Tull
Jun 26, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Two books in one! Such a deal. I liked both of them. They were the end of a series of related books by Ms. Beverley. Not only did we get the stories of these two characters in this set, but we were brought up to date in the stories of the H/H's of the other books.

'The Fortune Hunter' told the story of one poor, but beautiful heroine and her quest to find a rich hero to pull her and her family out of the fire. The hero was handsome, but not particularly rich-the number one priority of the heroin
The Eleventh Hour
This is not really a review, just my scattered thoughts on finishing the book.

So, I'm not a huge fan of Jo Beverley's heroines. Almost all of them tend to be very...shrill. They think they know best, which is cool, but they often form their opinions on nothing but misguided spite, malice and stupidity, which makes it hard for me to root for them. So it goes with the heroines of this book, a double book comprised of two of Jo Bev's traditional regency stories, I'm left wondering: why would *anyo
Al
Dec 25, 2015 Al rated it it was ok
Shelves: donated
This comprised 2 books by Jo Beverley. The Fortune Hunter and Deidre and Don Juan. The stories were interesting in that she explored beauty from the opposite sides of the spectrum.

In The Fortune Hunter, the female character's beauty was such that it was being used to capture a husband of means to save her family from being destitute.

In Deidre and Don Juan, the female character was described as plain and unassuming. She was picked by 2 male characters for their perception that she wouldn't inter
Mag
Jun 13, 2016 Mag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok

The newer price just too high. I paid less for the paperback and didn't get any credit for getting the e format. So we have gone green, no tree killing, paper saved we should have cut not just the middle man but the second and third, what up.
Ok about the book it's great... I also have the hard copy do I get some bar close credit... I believe in profit, but this is getting out of line...
Gloria
This was a combined edition of to f the authors previous works. I had a little trouble getting into the first story, and I found that heroine a bit tedious, found myself thinking that the hero might be better off with out her.

I liked the second story better, I really enjoyed the supporting characters as well. Both mothers were delightful. It had a sweet plot.
Nel-ly
Jan 06, 2014 Nel-ly rated it liked it
S Jo Beverley mám společné minimálně dvě věci: obě milujeme knížky a především pak Jane Austenovou, jíž autorka touto knihou vzdává hold. Kniha obsahuje dvě novely, kdy se postupně seznamujeme s postavami, které nás provádějí svým osudem - a nebyla by to pocta autorce jedněch z největších romantických příběhů, kdyby nešlo především o lásku.
Katja
Dec 25, 2015 Katja rated it really liked it
Two of Jo Bev's early stories, and they are very sweet. "The Fortune Hunter" in particular had a lot of humor in it, although it was in no way a comedy and the humor was also very sweet. I'm glad that I read these stories.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Jun 28, 2011 Melanie (Moviemavengal) rated it really liked it
The first of the two stories started out very strong, but had what felt like a rushed ending.

The second of the stories -- with Don Juan and Deidre, was my favorite of the two. I'm sort of partial to the rake marries a plain, practical heroine and proves to her she's desirable trope.
Mel
Jul 23, 2016 Mel rated it it was ok
I don't like animosity to love tropes, so no joy for me. Conflict can be interesting, but hatred towards each other for ridiculous reasons is just stupid IMHO. I will say the end of The Fortune Hunter was pretty hilarious, I love it when everyone gets what they deserve.
Cary
May 27, 2013 Cary rated it liked it
2 nice stories made better by the connections of people from previous stories making the world seem real and full of people. I appreciated the cleanliness of this book very much.
Gail
Jan 17, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Nice pair of stories. I enjoyed reading them.
Mary Kay
Nov 18, 2008 Mary Kay rated it liked it
This is a re-print of two of Jo Beverley's first Regency romances & they're pretty good.
Eliška
Dec 17, 2013 Eliška rated it liked it
Za první povídku jsou 3 hvězdičky, za tu druhou, která se mi líbila o trošku víc 3,5 :)
Trina
Jun 25, 2010 Trina rated it liked it
Two books in one. The Fortune Hunter was better than Deidre and Don Juan but they were both pretty clean, historical romance novels.
Ilze
Feb 14, 2011 Ilze rated it liked it
2 nice "traditional Regency" stories. The way the hero fell in love with the heroine in the second story didn't quite work for me, however - it never seemed believable.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon received
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Y
Y rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Laura Chapman
Laura Chapman rated it liked it
May 19, 2017
Jude Knight
Jude Knight rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Sorzo
Sorzo rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
BonnieL
BonnieL rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2009
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Bunniguru
Bunniguru rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Stephanie Paulino
Stephanie Paulino rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
MB (What she read)
MB (What she read) rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2008
Emily Johnson rudnitsky
Emily Johnson rudnitsky rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mischief and Mistletoe
  • To Burn
  • Stealing Heaven (Celtic Rogues #4)
  • Now a Bride (Mistress Trilogy #2.5)
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)
  • Lord Stanhope's Proposal
  • Triumph in Arms (Masters at Arms, #6)
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • Border Bride (Border, #2)
  • Beau Crusoe
  • Scottish Brides
  • The New Countess (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #3)
  • Nearly a Lady (Haverston Family #1)
  • Miss Darcy Falls in Love
  • Wicked Little Game (Series, #3)
  • Riley's Journey
  • Rules of Engagement: The Reasons for Marriage\The Wedding Party\Unlaced (Lester Family)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Lovers and Ladies (6 books)
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • Lord Wraybourne's Betrothed (Lovers and Ladies, #2)
  • The Stolen Bride (Lovers and Ladies, #3)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lovers and Ladies, #5)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)