Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 04

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 04 (Ouran High School Host Club #4)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  7,959 ratings  ·  60 reviews
One day, Haruhi, a scholarship student at exclusive Ouran High School, breaks an $80,000 vase that belongs to the 'Host Club', a mysterious campus group consisting of six super-rich (and gorgeous) guys. To pay back the damages, she is forced to work for the club, and it's there that she discovers just how wealthy the boys are and how different they are from everybody else.
Published January 3rd 2006 by VIZ Media (first published August 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 04

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
67th out of 569 books — 1,188 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaFruits Basket, Volume 12 by Natsuki TakayaNana, Vol. 21 by Ai YazawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 05 by Bisco HatoriOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 10 by Bisco Hatori
Most touching mangas
22nd out of 112 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
The Host Club has finally met Haruhi's father! Only Tamaki starts off with the most awful first impression when Haruhi's father walks in on him on top of Haruhi! He tripped, it was an accident, but it sure looks anything but. Will Haruhi's father be accepting, or will he challenge Tamaki? Or is that just his way of showing he's thinking of approving of him?

I want to give this volume three stars because of the revelations of Tamaki's deeper feelings, childhood, and lineage, but... that was really...more
Linda Nguyen
I'm done. I no longer have any interests in the Ouran High School Host Club graphic novel series and am officially done.

I tried so hard to hold out for as long as I could because several people have told me that the series gets better but after four volumes and no indications that the story will be picking up any time soon (not to mention annoying characters are increasingly becoming MORE annoying), I don't want to be spending my time reading an 18 volume long series that I deem to just be "oka...more
Shazza Maddog
In the fourth volume of Ouran, we get to meet Haruhi's father, who is transgendered. She is a very lovely woman, and is quite taken by the Host Club. Tamaki, of course, gets into a fight with her over Haruhi.

The second part of the volume has a separate story, Love Egoist, which follows a teenage girl who develops a crush on one of her teachers - who is actually a harsh man who takes advantage of her. He does come to gain feelings for her, possibly through a magical spell. That story isn't as fu...more
Julie Hayes

Volume 4 of Ouran High School Host Club begins with Haruhi's cross-dressing daddy catching her and Tamaki on the floor in a rather incriminating position - and of course he assumes the worst! Tamaki flails, attempting to placate the strange parental unit, and things are looking dire when the twins unexpectedly barge in. When it looks as though Tamaki is about to confess to having feelings for Haruhi, he ends up saying she is like a daughter to him! What an idiot! Hail hail, the gang's all here a...more
Michelle. D.
Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Overall Rating: A
Synopsis: Created by Bisco Hatori, the series follows Haruhi Fujioka, a scholarship student at the prestigious Ouran High School. Haruhi is a girl, but she got gum put in her hair so she cut it short, and wears boys clothes. This wouldn't be terribly important, but one day she stumbles across the school's Host Club. The Host Club is basically a place for six idly rich pretty boys to be idly rich pretty boys, and idly rich pretty girls to come and fawn over them and pretend the b...more
Aimeekay
So the boys from the host club decided to visit Haruhi at home! As it left off in the previous volume, Haruhi's dad walked in right after Tamaki tripped and landed on top of Haruhi! (despite his feminine attire, her dad has no problem being scarey!) He also proceeds to go into disguise mode. He and the rest of the boys from the host club, follow her and Tamaki to a local "commoners" store. Needless to say hilarity ensues!
Also in this volume:
Valentine's Day at Ouran High, and the whole club goes...more
Niccole Paytosh
The first third of volume four is split between continuing the visit to Haruhi's house, group grocery shopping, and what happens when the sweets-loving Hunny gets a cavity. The tension between Tamaki and Ryoji is well done and takes a different look on the typical boy-falls-for-girl situation. The manga-ka here really has fun playing with the characters and reading about them shopping for the first time in a normal grocery store made me smile. The silliness of the shopping leads perfectly into t...more
Ashley
S. J.
Sep 06, 2013 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage boys and girls, people interested in manga, fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: Rebecca; Anime
Volume 4 picks up where we left Haruhi, Tamaki, and her dad - who has found the two of them in a less then ideal position, accidental of course. What follows is Tamaki making a less then great impression on Haruhi's father while the rest of the Host Club he comes to love and they learn a bit more about what has made their most interesting member the way she is. After that...things kinda go downhill.

First we have Hunny's cavity, also covered in the anime and one of my less favorite stories. Mori,...more
Penny
Let me start out by saying that i will be writing one review for this manga. At first i had watched the anime that was adapted from this manga and i fell in love with the characters. It is a funny, cheesy kinda gender-bender romantic plot.

Compared to the anime, the manga had far more details and other stories involved.
Ok enough with the anime.

As i mentioned before the plot is a comedy, cheesy romantic, gender-bender...
Haruhi is a scholarship student at an exclusive rich high school called Ouran...more
Paolo Jasa
There's really only one thing I want to say about this volume, and that the chapter that parodies 'Alice in Wonderland' is played a lot less seriously than it's corresponding episode. I really liked it when they played it a little more seriously though, because I felt that the episode carried more weight than the chapter did, and so had a bigger emotional impact. Otherwise, it's pretty standard fare. Not terrible, not amazing, just mediocre.
Eric
Feb 27, 2012 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comic book geeks, manga fans
Recommended to Eric by: Chaz Estell
I simply adored this collection. In some of the volumes Hatori has added extra episodes and also an extra story that isn't related to the Host Club itself. The first one was called Romantic Egoist and the one in this collection was called Love Egoist. I really enjoyed it and is something to look forward to seeing from time to time in the volumes since it follows heavily the anime. It makes a nice change of pace at times in the reading.

I am thrilled to say that I will keep reading this particula...more
Emy
Having broken a priceless vase, Haruhi Fujioka is in debt to the host club, and this romantic comedy series follows her as she tries to pay it back.

The plot at Haruhi's house continues and my love for Tamaki grows! :) Also included in this volume is some Hunny/Mori character development, which I love, and a strange Alice in Wonderland type interlude... which I don't. At least in the anime this interlude is explained as Haruhi's dream, but in the manga, it's just... random. And serves no point, a...more
Michelle Megurine
PERFECTO Y ESPECIAL ♡ como todos los tomos que he leído hasta ahora de Ouran Host Club.
Igual que me pasó con la primera historia en el tomo 2, adoré la segunda historia de"Love Egoist", que tiene a las gemelas Kuronuma como vinculación entre ellas. (Nadeshiko es preciosa, espero poder hacer cosplay de ella).
Y no aguanto más a leer el quinto :3

PD: El Teatro con situaciones hipotéticas me encantó!! Ese Tamaki con el alma malévola de Kyouya fue PER-FEC-TO!
Romi
I really loved how different the Alice in Wonderland episode was from the anime- it's arguably my favourite episode and was one of the first, in my experience, that was completely different in graphic novel to anime, and that was pretty neat.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
The host club meets Haruhi's dad, have a theme on Alice in Wonderland and help out the newspaper club and Honey temporarily has to not have sweets. Has its funny moments as usual.
Amy
Continues to have its awkward moments but overall keeping me interested
Leah Mae
I'm looking forward to whoever she ended up with..
Manny
Entierly Amusing. ^.^
Addie
Loved all of it!!
Lauren
Haruhi is one of my favorite manga characters of all time. She is funny and strong even against a bushel of guys (strange kinds of guys by the way, but they are lovable too!) Even though all of the guys fit in their own individual stereotype that is exactly what makes the series as a whole so funny and enjoyable. The relationship between Haruhi and Tamaki is epic and I can tell you for a fact that I will be re-reading this series many times in the future!

I would really recommend watching the ani...more
Linkpotato
One of my favorites in the series! The ending of the story started at the end of Vol. 3 is both touching and hilarious. (view spoiler)
Mori is currently my favorite host (I change favorites occasionally because I love them all so much!), so the story of Hunny and his cavity is one of my favorites.
As for the story of Alice in Wonderland, it's unpredictable and absolutely ridiculous all the way!
Caroline
So far Ouran High School Host Club is a bit repetitive at times, but it's still an amusing read. Funny enough, the part in here that made me laugh the most is one of the specials after the story where the author tells a story about her real life silliness.

I skipped the Love Egoist excerpt in here. I didn't really enjoy the first part that was included in a previous volume, and saw no real reason to continue with it. The actual Host Club portion if this was fun, though.
Yoon
Feb 26, 2010 Yoon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I come to this having seen the anime first. This volume was fun--I continue to adore Haruhi's levelheadedness--but not outstanding. Perhaps it didn't help that I am singularly uninterested in Hunni (however you transliterate that, I can't remember) and his Valentine's Day woes. I did, however, like the unconventional (?) romance short story at the end, which made me cry, and which I would rate 4 stars out of 5 on its own merits.
Alexis
Mar 14, 2009 Alexis added it
I can't get all that into this series, it's repetative. Haruhi is a girl, posing as a boy. All the boys in the club seem to adore her/facinated by her and argue over her. I have nothing against slightly "yaoi" overtones, but I don't like the twin romance stuff. I did like the Alice in Wonderland story in this volume however.
Kereesa
Not my favorite of the manga series so far, volume 3 was a bit of a let-down with a few chapters that were more silly than actually story/character moving. The Alice in Wonderland parody was much better and funnier than its anime counterpart and I actually enjoyed reading it. Art work still fantastic. 3.5-4/5
Jocelyne
October 2013: 5 Stars
My favourite volume so far! The "Alice in Wonderland" story, the "Hunny has a cavity" story, and the "School Newspaper" stories were all so good! And the short stories at the end were great too! :D
Finally warming up to this series. Still not crazy about the artwork, but it's growing on me.
  • Fruits Basket, Volume 13
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 6 (Hana-Kimi, #6)
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 07
  • Love*Com (Lovely*Complex), Volume 4
Japanese: 葉鳥ビスコ

Bisco Hatori born August 30 is a Japanese manga artist. Bisco Hatori is a pseudonym; she states that the name has special meaning to her. She has worked for such magazines as LaLa. Her manga debut was A Moment of Romance in LaLa DX. Her first series was Millennium Snow. However, the comedy Ouran High School Host Club is her breakout hit.

More about Bisco Hatori...
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1) Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 02 Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 03 Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 15 Millennium Snow, Vol. 1

“Ryoji: It's either that she doesn't know how to lean on someone or she's simply that selfless. She won't give me a space to worry about her. Beyond that, she'll protect others instinctively.” 17 likes
“Mr. Sagunuma: We can never escape who we are. Instead of wasting time worrying about it, why don't you cut to he chase and love yourself?” 15 likes