Start by marking “White Space is Not Your Enemy: a Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually through Graphic, Web and Multimedia Design” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Designing a brochure or web site without an art background? Step away from the computer and read this breezy introduction to visual communications first. Written for non-designers, White Space is Not Your Enemy is a practical graphic design and layout text introducing the concepts and practices necessary for producing effective visual communications across a variety of for ...more
Published (first published March 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about White Space is Not Your Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Space is Not Your Enemy

Ben
Rated 2.5 stars, if that were possible. White Space is Not Your Enemy provides a decent summary of some basic design principles but seems aimed at an audience with virtually zero background (and even intuition) regarding design. For a beginner, the book is not a waste of time, but there are certainly better books on design out there.

The book started out seemingly with a lot of potential, but then quickly petered out. The latter chapters of the book covered fairly basic principles with very littl
Lara
Students who have had a Basic Design, Graphic Design (I) or Web Design will find some of this redundant.

The book doesn't go into much detail regarding any one area. If you're looking for a book that deals exclusively with typography, color, print, layout et al? This isn't the book for you. If you want a book that gives you a general idea of what to expect in design? This is a great start.
VampireNovelFan
This book has pretty much all of the nuts and bolts you will need if you are a beginner and want to try your hand at creating your own designs. I have a marketing background and part of my responsibilities at my job include creating print materials. A lot of times companies will assume that if you have a marketing background you automatically have graphic design ability. While I do have an eye for aesthetics, I have never been to art school and all my skills have been self taught.

Texts like thi
Dennis Boccippio
I'll mostly echo the sentiments of other reviewers, and agree with the review that pegs this at "2.5 stars".

On the upside, it covers a very wide/comprehensive range of design topics at a very rudimentary level. As a beginners' reference and first exposure, not bad.

On the downside, the design of the book itself is, IMHO, pretty awful - and this undermines both its credibility or usefulness.

A couple of specific examples:

- Since the book doesn't dive deeply into any topics, but covers many broadly
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

WSINYE (White Space Is Not Your Enemy) is a great reference for those with no design background but who have to produce their own marketing vehicles such as brochures, websites, ads, etc. It is not intended for those with a marketing/design background, as is obvious by the byline of "A Beginner's Guide....". I think some criticism has been leveled at it by designers - but they aren't the ones for whom this book was inten
Darren
White space within a design is a bit like a pause in a conversation - it need not be a bad thing, yet it is just one element in a larger being that is often overlooked or misunderstood.

This book takes a professional look at design, whether for traditional media such as brochures or for more modern media such as the web. The aim is for the beginner (or more experienced person who doesn't mind refreshing their knowledge) to learn about the concepts and practices necessary for producing effective v
S
I think this is one of the better books on design for beginners that I’ve seen. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and its many facets as it teaches the reader the proper way for design on a multitude of medium. It gives practical examples and also shows what not to do. This is one of those books that I will return to as a reference.
Professional Writing
Excellent and fun to read!

This WSINYE is great book for beginning designers and anyone interested in refining the design of their blog, ads, posters and other visual genres
Tammy-elizabeth
This book is great for beginners that want to get a detailed overview of graphic design and a small overview of web design.
Zolla
Excellent crash course for someone who wants to go to design school but doesn't have the time. Covers all the basics very well.
Deirdre Keating
"sugar" as the boys and I say...wish I had read reviews here first before ordering this (as part of a birthday Amazon gift card). Reviews heard on Paperclipping (or was it the Digi Show)and the title...oh how I love that title, swayed me. Not it looks like its coverage of design principals are rather light/surface. I'm sure I'll still learn from reading it, but I thought I would LOVE it.

As predicted, I liked it but it is rather basic and I expected at least more inspiration from great visuals in
Susanna Carbotti
for an non designer. just amazing!
Wes Baker
I'd consider this a pretty good book for the folks you know who do a horrendous job with their family newsletter or maybe they're now in charge of the company website and have no clue what to do.
Given that, the best points this book had to offer is something that's come up over and over again: start on paper long before you work on the computer. If that's news to you, this book might be worth reading, otherwise: get to work.
earthy
Definitely reads like a text book, but at least it's a text book with decent info and a good sense of humor. As someone who's primarily self-taught in web/graphic design, I found it very helpful to get some insight into the basics of more professional design. Not sure this will do much for folks already familiar with these terms and ideas, but for complete newbies, this could be a really great resource.
Emily
There are many better books for learning about design. See John McWade and Timothy Samara's books, which are more complex and prettier. Prettiness isn't a terribly important criteria for some things, but for a book that teaches design, it is.
Charles Minguez
I am revisiting this book. With so much clutter out there on the Internet it is sometimes hard to forget that White Space is truly not your enemy and you need to know how to use it wisely.
Kathie
For all those who design presentations or do instructional design but would like a better understanding of graphic design principles, this is a great book.
Patrick Nylen
Fantastic book for folks new to design; covers simple design elements with concision but also delves into meatier topics, like typography.
Aleigh Calvary
This book is very informative. An easy read; very conversational. I would love to own it, but it's a library copy!
Sherry
another good book on visual design
Ramazil
Ramazil marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • E-Learning and the Science of Instruction: Proven Guidelines for Consumers and Designers of Multimedia Learning [With CDROM]
  • Design for How People Learn
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book
  • Introducing HTML5
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Cool Infographics: Effective Communication with Data Visualization and Design
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design Solutions
  • Sexy Web Design
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
White Space is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually through Graphic, Web and Multimedia Design