Start by marking “A Dry Spell” as Want to Read:
A Dry Spell

A Dry Spell

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A woman haunted by fear.
A town gripped by terror.
A man with the power to set them both free.

Karen Grange came to Goodlands, North Dakota, to start her life over.Instead, she watches a once-thriving town die before her eyes.Four years without rain has struck Goodlands like a curse, withering crops and darkening the air with dust.In its wake, a sudden wave of strange, twiste
Published July 6th 1998 by Island Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Dry Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dry Spell

Teeliles
I read this book years ago, but recently pulled it out of the bookshelf when my kindle -- gasp! -- went on the fritz. A very enjoyable book, a little mysticism, a little romance, well-written, with appealing characters. I've always loved the Rainmaker myth as well, so there was a good reason this novel remained on my bookshelves after years of regular purging!
Kristal Cooper
This was a pretty boring, drawn-out book with only a little bit of intrigue for me. I listened to it on audiotape while travelling and want to blame Karen Allen's breathy reading of it, but I'm afraid it's actually the author's fault. The story had potential, but it was unrealized. My lone joy was imagining Viggo Mortensen as the rainmaker.
Bronwyn
This book really surprised me! It's a very strong three stars. The comparisons to early Stephen King aren't too off the mark. Moloney has created a fast-paced book with compelling characters and a great mix of horror, suspense and romance. She also does small town life very well, though since she's from Winnipeg I like to think her inspiration was Canadian! The plot doesn't entirely hang together but I was willing to suspend my belief because I was so invested in the plot. Moloney is a master at ...more
Shay
It was alright up until the ending. It left some things unanswered. Very disappointed about that.
Angela
Karen Grange came to Goodlands, North Dakota, to start her life over. Instead, she watches a once-thriving town die before her eyes. Four years without rain has struck Goodlands like a curse, withering crops and darkening the air with dust. In its wake, a sudden wave of strange, twisted crimes has shattered families and lives. Desperate, Karen reaches out to the only man who can help -- a man who offers a miracle...and promises to heal her wounded heart. His name is Tom Keatley. A drifter, an ou ...more
R.G. Evans
Oscar_LRB
Pues me esperaba menos de esta novela...
La he perseguido durante años y finalmente llegó a mis manos.

Me ha recordado mucho a lo que sentí con algunaas novelas de Stepehn King.
La peculiar habilidad del protagonista me ha parecido muy curiosa.

Si no le he dado más "stars", es porque llegado a este punto muchas de las escenas me recordaban a "historias ya vividas", y estoy seguro que de haberlo cogido al poco de su publicación, lo habría disfrutado más.

En todo caso, me ha gustado y no he sentido la
Holly Booms Walsh
The farming town of Goodlands, North Dakota, has suffered through four years of drought, with one farm after another falling to the auctioneer's gavel. The local bank manager takes a chance on a man who claims to be a rainmaker. His arrival in town dredges up old dark secrets and there is a price to be paid before rain can be made to fall. This book is part supernaturl, part thriller, and part romance. Not bad, sort of like a Stephen King novel that's not quite on his best game.
Lowerc
Thought most of the characters worked quite well. However for me it definitely seemed that those with less ivolvement with the story were better written and more 'real'. Also, felt that this book just didn't know if it was a small-town drama (which it would have excelled at), or something supernatural (which kind of let it down). Can't say I didn't like the book, but if it had been one or other, then I would have liked it quite a bit more.
Many8
Non mi ha convinta del tutto.
A tratti chiaro, ad altri tratti di meno. Alcune volte potrei definirlo confusionale, e soprattutto la fine. Nelle ultime 20 pagine si capisce ben poco. Termina con una partenza, per al ricerca di chiarimenti, ma noi lettori, come possiamo capire gli avvenimenti?
Scritto abbastanza bene, anche se qualche volta lo stile mi ha dato fastidio.
Semplice, abbastanza scorrevole, lineare.
Mi sarei aspettata un po' di più.
Diana
I found this book at the used book store in the horror section. I feel like that was a very loose categorization. Though there are a couple of supernatural elements which could be considered frightening, it's mostly a love story.

A banker in a small town plagued by an unnatural drought, calls a rainmaker for help. But something in the town is keeping his powers from working.

I do like how the story shifts between characters.
Julie
I read this a long time ago. It was a so-so read, but for some reason I am thinking back to this book. The portrayal of the residents in Goodland, ND as they suffered the drought and how it affected their dispositions is filtering forward in my mind. Not only due to this summers hot dry conditions, but with the conditions in my own life.
Shannon
This might be the best book I've read in a long time. I can't remember the last time I read a book that I wasn't able to predict what was going to happen. If you read often and are tired of books being predictable then give this one a try. It might throw you a little off your game.
Peter
A nicely plotted 'horror-thriller' using some very familiar tropes...small town, good and bad people...drought...mixed motivations...drifter...you know the drill but this is nicely told.
Audrey
Not my usual type of genre, but I thought I would try it anyway.. Book well written but story jumped around too many voices, I found it hard to follow and enjoy it.
Garth Mailman
Okay time-waster. The dry spell in question is both in the weather and in Karen's love-life.
Shivanee (Novel Niche)
Airport lounge fiction with a slightly more interesting than usual premise.
Tim
Some similarities to Dean Koontz writing style and content but not as advanced.
Krystle Smith
Loved this book, it had a great plot line with a mysterious feel to it!
Bruce Campbell
Oct 28, 2007 Bruce Campbell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women.....
A romance with a twist....I loved this book and I'm a guy! I think.
LocoErasmo
Un libro entretenido, rápido de leer. Para pasar un buen momento.
Prapti
It was good until the conclusion came along. Merely disappointing :/
Marsten
No me gustó. Es bastante mala.
Ray
Ray added it
Dec 11, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • In the Drink
  • The Handbook of Chinese Horoscopes
  • Crippen
  • The Best American Short Stories 1993
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • Boundless Sea (Sacred Breath, #3)
  • 100 More Easy Recipes in Jars