Start by marking “Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)

Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  21,728 ratings  ·  800 reviews
Helene Zaharis's politician husband keeps her on a tight leash and cancels her credit cards as a way of controlling her. Lorna Rafferty is up to her eyeballs in debt and can't stop her addiction to Ebay. Sandra Vanderslice, battling agoraphobia,pays her shoe bills by working as a phone sex operator. And Jocelyn Bowenis a nannyfor the family from hell (who barely knows a so ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shoe Addicts Anonymous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoe Addicts Anonymous

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerYou Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia RivenbarkStop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank by Celia RivenbarkMiss Taken by Cleo ScornavaccaBright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
Titles I love
12th out of 154 books — 58 voters
Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingCheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoLost In Time by Bridgitte Lesley
Chick lit
53rd out of 286 books — 372 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristenhaynes2
Jul 06, 2008 Kristenhaynes2 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: shoe lovers, ladies in DC, chick lit readers
I liked this book a lot. Yes, it's a bit vapid and implausible, but whatever, it's chick lit! I'm glad someone finally showed that women in DC have style and excellent taste in luxury. While I'm not part of the exquisitely elite, I could appreciate a lot of the name brands, political parties, money manners, and behaviorisms of the supporting characters in this book. I DO wish that the author would have gone more into areas where the women could have gotten shoes, mentioning the blossoming U Stre ...more
Debbie
Jul 16, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fun chick lit
A fun book about shoes bringing a diverse group of women together. The unlikely group forms a very strong bond. It's interesting to watch the development of the relationships and the addiction to shoes!
Mickey Reed
Dec 10, 2011 Mickey Reed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick novel fans, funny book fans
Shelves: 2011, audio
This book is hilarious! I laughed pretty hard a couple times. These are characters we can all relate to! They're slightly down on their luck, they're working crappy jobs, they're putting up with cheating and slimy men, and they're shy and overweight. They each have a trait or characteristic that makes this book personable and humorous.

A coworker recommended this book, so I was all over it. After finishing it, it didn't seem like a book she would have read and enjoyed, but she really did. We bot
Christa
This wasn't a bad book, but I found at least the first hundred or so pages to be fairly depressing. The book is equally about four female characters, and the beginning chapters are devoted to learning about them and their problems. Each of the characters is facing some large issue, making the book start off heavy and dreary. As the characters meet and get to know one another, the tone does lighten up some. The issues were all dealt with, and the book ended on a much happier note than that on whi ...more
Amanda

I really liked this book because I can relate to a lot of it. I couldn't put the book down because I liked it so much. The only reason I am giving it 4stars is because the book had so many errors!!! I've never come across a book like that! There were grammatical errors as well as spelling errors.... I mean don't these books have to go through editors? Overall though I enjoyed the book!
Nicole

I really enjoyed this book and loved how the girls found friends with strangers. It reminds me of my book club we started as strangers but have become really great friends from a mutual interest. This book was great, it was light and entertaining. A perfect summer pool read.
♥ Marlene♥
Finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it. Just a fun read. yes it was bit how do you say that, where those things do not happen in real life, but I had fun non the less.
Might want to get my hands on the other book by this author.
Julie Ann Listi
My all-time favorite book. Hilarious, heartwarming, and makes me want to buy more shoes!
Vee Charles
This book was pretty funny and I laughed out loud a few times. (*^_^*)
The thing I liked most about this story is that every woman was from a different class, facing different struggles yet their common interest (as funny as it was) brought them together without judgement to build an extremely strong friendship.
I really appreciated the way Harbison pulled all these personalities together. It's hard not to relate to at least one character or a few things about every character.

This book made me lau
Dina
Tiffany
A friend and I have taken to exchanging books that we've enjoyed reading. I was intrigued when she loaned me Shoe Addicts Anonymous. At first the title threw me off a little because I'm not a shoe addict myself (although purses are another story, lol) But once I started reading this book I realized it's more about the bonds that women can form and how important friendship can be than it is about shoes.

Shoe Addicts Anonymous throws four unlikely strangers together from a personal ad on 'Gregslist
Bella
Apr 14, 2009 Bella rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I was looking for something light and fun, and this book definitely delivered. It had all of the great components of a "beach" book, and it discussed the characters' love of shoes. How can you not like that?

The characters were all well developed, and a one of them (Helene) was so interesting that I would love to read a book just featuring her. The writing was fast-paced and easy, making it perfect for my day spent in bed with a cold.

The basic plot is about women who meet because of their love o
Aparna
It was good fun, considering I feel half my life is wanted if i dont buy at least a pair of shoes evey month. Of course, the book is over the top. Irrespective of HOW MUCH one likes shoes, there is a point where a normal person can draw the line (work as a phone-sex operator to buy a pair - make that TWO - one in black and one in a deep pink of Ralph Laurens, realy????). Which is really ironic, coz all these woman are potrayed as normal people, albeit with an abnormal liking for shoes.
So you hav
Jennifer Daiker
What started as a way to fix her debt Lorna Rafferty created a group titled Shoe Addicts Anonymous. I only wish this could have happened in real life. Harbison has a way of bringing four women with major issues and making you laugh out loud and long for their friendship. These women bond in such an amazing way it's hard to not want to be them. Watch out Carrie Bradshaw because these women have a shoe addiction bigger than even hers.

I loved this book. I couldn't get enough. If I wasn't on such a
Kirsty Hoggons
Nov 10, 2014 Kirsty Hoggons rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shoe addicts, anyone looking for a light read
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. Honestly, when I picked it up at a fête I was drawn to it by the title alone and didn't really even bother reading the back of the book. However, I was not disappointed. Each of the main characters in the book are introduced very well to the reader and you get a lot of background information on them up front. I enjoyed this because I felt like I was better able to relate to them because I knew where they were coming from. This was very cleverly done. ...more
C.L. Ogilvie
May 28, 2014 C.L. Ogilvie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in shoes; anyone who doesn't mind stilted dialogue
Recommended to C.L. by: My best friend; She has since been forgiven
I tried. I honestly tried. I loved Thin, Rich, Pretty by the same author. I tried my hardest to love this one, too. Then I tried to like it. Then I could only try to finish it.

I failed.

Every problem the women in this novel were experiencing were entirely of their own doing. Shoes do not make your debt, lousy marriage, or fear of the outside world go away and everyone over the age of sixteen knows it. Plus, the dialogue felt really forced and unnatural. I can't get into a story if I'm constantly
Natalie
"Sex im Karton. Genau das war's. Spannender, atemberaubender, dekadenter Sex in einem Karton."

Dieses Buch hat mein Opa mir angedreht und es lag schon ewig auf meinem SuB. Bis vor kurzem... Allein die ersten Sätze sind genial!

Zur Story: 4 junge Frauen, die sich mit ihren ganz eigenen Problemen herum schlagen müssen. Doch eine von ihnen bringt den Mut auf, sich als Schuhsüchtige zu outen und bringt sie so alle zusammen. Aus einer kleinen Selbsthilfegruppe werden 4 wahre Freundinnen, die eines ver
Dashi
I was torn between the 2 and 3 star ratings, so take this as a wavering 2.5 stars. I mean, this book started out so well. The author did an amazing job setting up all the characters, places and situations. This was a 5 star read up until the midpoint, after which it almost felt like this book was intended to be a series, or, at the very least, longer. For example, relationships the writer had so carefully and intriguingly set up, advanced way too fast - and most of the time off the page. My bigg ...more
Zina
Cute, funny and a light read. :)
Elphaba J
Opinião completa em: http://historiasdeelphaba.blogspot.pt...

Alerta!
Feminino, ligeiro e dramaticamente divertido, este romance é uma verdadeira tentação para as consumistas literárias que procurem entre páginas boas horas de entretenimento.

De forma descomplicada, Beth Harbison conseguiu criar uma apelativa narrativa que toca muitos pontos aos quais as mulheres são sensíveis, procurando, com uma boa dose de humor, que estas se identifiquem com a simplicidade das suas personagens e com os seus dil
Keri Kennedy
This book was really slow for me in the first few chapters but after about a week I picked it up where I left off to give it one more chance and am glad that I did. It is light hearted and fun, and girly in the best kind of way. Made me want to be addicted to shoes just to possibly meet a group of girls like these!
Christy
Jun 11, 2008 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every woman
This is such a great book to read. You can relate to the characters and get very involved into the book. I could not put it down! It also shows you that no matter the situation it will all work out in the end no matter how bad it seems.
Robin
A fun, light book about four different women. One common shoe size. And a shared lust for fabulous footwear. Great for the beach or just to escape for a little bit. Shows how four different people can bond over shoes.
Kelly D
I felt that there were a few threads left undone and a few plot lines that were under developed. I was anxious for the end of the book so I could move on to the next book on my night stand.
Desiree
Feb 06, 2008 Desiree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chicks
Fun book. Quick read. I really liked reading about each individual women's going ons. People so so so so very different can really have much in common regardless.
Jordann Muracz
I fell in love with this book and could not, absolutely not put it down! Upon completing the final chapter there was a surprise at the back...and I fell in love again.
Debbie
Enjoyable. Read it in the car on a road trip. Quick easy read. Cute characters.
The Styling Librarian
Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison - Loved all the characters and their issues with compulsive shoe shopping, they certainly made me feel like my life was on better track… but you never know what will happen when you get the power of women together, what they might generate. really a fun special book with a bunch of wit, ingenuity, woman power, and dire situations that make this one great listen. I actually sat for an hour last night in bed listening to the book because I wanted to know how ...more
Alisa
Another great chick lit, especially for those of us who LOVE shoes!
Anna
Jan 07, 2009 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most definitly
Hysterical! Any shoe/purse person can relate to this book!
  • See Jane Date
  • I Do -- But I Don't
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • The Sleeping Beauty Proposal
  • The Next Big Thing
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • Diary of a Mad Bride: A Novel
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • A Hopeless Romantic
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • Monkey Business
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Names My Sisters Call Me
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town.

More about Beth Harbison...

Shoe Addict (2 books)
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2) Hope in a Jar When in Doubt, Add Butter Always Something There to Remind Me Thin, Rich, Pretty

“I think things ultimately work out the way they're supposed to, even if it's not always the most comfortable, cushy way.” 18 likes
“Trust that things do work out by themselves sometimes.” 9 likes