Start by marking “Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)

Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  24,438 Ratings  ·  867 Reviews
Helene Zaharis's politician husband keeps her on a tight leash and cancels her credit cards as a way of controlling her. Lorna Rafferty is up to her eyeballs in debt and can't stop her addiction to Ebay. Sandra Vanderslice, battling agoraphobia,pays her shoe bills by working as a phone sex operator. And Jocelyn Bowenis a nannyfor the family from hell (who barely knows a so ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shoe Addicts Anonymous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoe Addicts Anonymous

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
1,202 books — 394 voters
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerYou Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia RivenbarkStop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank by Celia RivenbarkMiss Taken by Cleo ScornavaccaBright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
Titles I love
172 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristenhaynes2
Jul 06, 2008 Kristenhaynes2 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: shoe lovers, ladies in DC, chick lit readers
I liked this book a lot. Yes, it's a bit vapid and implausible, but whatever, it's chick lit! I'm glad someone finally showed that women in DC have style and excellent taste in luxury. While I'm not part of the exquisitely elite, I could appreciate a lot of the name brands, political parties, money manners, and behaviorisms of the supporting characters in this book. I DO wish that the author would have gone more into areas where the women could have gotten shoes, mentioning the blossoming U Stre ...more
Debbie
Jul 16, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fun chick lit
A fun book about shoes bringing a diverse group of women together. The unlikely group forms a very strong bond. It's interesting to watch the development of the relationships and the addiction to shoes!
Vee Charles
This book was pretty funny and I laughed out loud a few times. (*^_^*)
The thing I liked most about this story is that every woman was from a different class, facing different struggles yet their common interest (as funny as it was) brought them together without judgement to build an extremely strong friendship.
I really appreciated the way Harbison pulled all these personalities together. It's hard not to relate to at least one character or a few things about every character.

This book made me lau
Christa
Aug 06, 2008 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This wasn't a bad book, but I found at least the first hundred or so pages to be fairly depressing. The book is equally about four female characters, and the beginning chapters are devoted to learning about them and their problems. Each of the characters is facing some large issue, making the book start off heavy and dreary. As the characters meet and get to know one another, the tone does lighten up some. The issues were all dealt with, and the book ended on a much happier note than that on whi ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it. Just a fun read. yes it was bit how do you say that, where those things do not happen in real life, but I had fun non the less.
Might want to get my hands on the other book by this author.
Mickey Reed
Dec 10, 2011 Mickey Reed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chick novel fans, funny book fans
Shelves: audio, 2011
This book is hilarious! I laughed pretty hard a couple times. These are characters we can all relate to! They're slightly down on their luck, they're working crappy jobs, they're putting up with cheating and slimy men, and they're shy and overweight. They each have a trait or characteristic that makes this book personable and humorous.

A coworker recommended this book, so I was all over it. After finishing it, it didn't seem like a book she would have read and enjoyed, but she really did. We bot
Nicole
Jun 28, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit

I really enjoyed this book and loved how the girls found friends with strangers. It reminds me of my book club we started as strangers but have become really great friends from a mutual interest. This book was great, it was light and entertaining. A perfect summer pool read.
Aparna
Jun 13, 2008 Aparna rated it liked it
Shelves: girly
It was good fun, considering I feel half my life is wanted if i dont buy at least a pair of shoes evey month. Of course, the book is over the top. Irrespective of HOW MUCH one likes shoes, there is a point where a normal person can draw the line (work as a phone-sex operator to buy a pair - make that TWO - one in black and one in a deep pink of Ralph Laurens, realy????). Which is really ironic, coz all these woman are potrayed as normal people, albeit with an abnormal liking for shoes.
So you hav
Dina
Nov 10, 2010 Dina rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Gina
Apr 14, 2009 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I was looking for something light and fun, and this book definitely delivered. It had all of the great components of a "beach" book, and it discussed the characters' love of shoes. How can you not like that?

The characters were all well developed, and a one of them (Helene) was so interesting that I would love to read a book just featuring her. The writing was fast-paced and easy, making it perfect for my day spent in bed with a cold.

The basic plot is about women who meet because of their love o
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
A friend and I have taken to exchanging books that we've enjoyed reading. I was intrigued when she loaned me Shoe Addicts Anonymous. At first the title threw me off a little because I'm not a shoe addict myself (although purses are another story, lol) But once I started reading this book I realized it's more about the bonds that women can form and how important friendship can be than it is about shoes.

Shoe Addicts Anonymous throws four unlikely strangers together from a personal ad on 'Gregslist
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Many women will be able to relate to the shoe obsessed women in this novel. Sometimes I thought they were over exaggerated on the amount of money spent on shoes. But, this is a reality for thousands across the U.S. It was beautiful to see the friendships grow along the way and how close these women became, all because shoes brought them together. I loved that there was a suspenseful little twist in the story. I did not see that coming at all! The ending was perfect and I actually want to read th ...more
Sherri Hunter
Oct 28, 2015 Sherri Hunter rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
My Thoughts: Cute story about shoe addiction that brings four women together once a week to trade designer shoes. These women are from completely different walks of life, but along the way, they become friends as they deal with their shoe addictions, personal problems and living their lives. The author does a wonderful job of introducing each character, spending enough time with each one to give the reader an opportunity to bond and empathize with them. Fans of chick-lit and romance novels will ...more
Amanda
Jun 30, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it

I really liked this book because I can relate to a lot of it. I couldn't put the book down because I liked it so much. The only reason I am giving it 4stars is because the book had so many errors!!! I've never come across a book like that! There were grammatical errors as well as spelling errors.... I mean don't these books have to go through editors? Overall though I enjoyed the book!
Chelsey
Sep 13, 2012 Chelsey rated it it was ok
While this book had some interesting parts, it was surprisingly less about shoes and more about phone sex! LOL
Kelly D
Oct 10, 2012 Kelly D rated it it was ok
I felt that there were a few threads left undone and a few plot lines that were under developed. I was anxious for the end of the book so I could move on to the next book on my night stand.
Tara Anderton
Was a good light read, My favourite character was Helene. Although Sandra was very interesting too. I chose to read this book because of the title and the fact that I love shoes!
Ikuko
Aug 20, 2008 Ikuko rated it really liked it
A really fun and quick read. Not just for shoe lovers.
Julie Ann Listi
Dec 31, 2012 Julie Ann Listi rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book. Hilarious, heartwarming, and makes me want to buy more shoes!
Zina
Oct 19, 2014 Zina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, funny and a light read. :)
Jennys Bücherkiste
Rezension:
Ich frage mich immer noch, warum ich das Buch eigentlich gekauft habe. Vermutlich, weil es gerade ein Schnäppchen war. Das ist dann tatsächlich etwas, das ich lange Zeit (jetzt zum Glück nicht mehr) mit Lorna, einer der Protagonistinnen dieses Buches, gemeinsam hatte – wenn reduziert, dann kaufen! Sie Schuhe, ich Bücher. Damit enden die Gemeinsamkeiten aber schon. Auch in den anderen Charakteren konnte ich mich nicht wirklich wiederfinden, vor allem, weil ich überhaupt absolut gar kein
Lori
Oct 31, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I was needing something lighter and more than my last few reads and this fit the bill perfectly. I'm so happy I have the follow up book on my shelf as I'll be starting that right now.
MariaAert
Interesting story with interesting characters. Loved the different personalities with the love of shoes as a common trait. Good story whether you are a shoe lover or not. Picked up the sequel since I enjoyed this easy read so much.
Sinead Murray
Fun light book. Perfect for shoe lovers.
Denise
Oct 18, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
a fun and fluffy read, I really enjoyed it.
Kimberlee
Oct 13, 2016 Kimberlee rated it really liked it
Great book about lives of 4 different women of various ages who become friends because of their addiction to shoes. First time reading this author and really enjoyed the book - will read more books from her.
Lauren
Dec 30, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
El libro me ha encantado absolutamente. Sería algo raro que no lo hiciera pues me encantan los libros de chick-lit. Hacía tiempo que no leía uno y he disfrutado leyendo cada página de éste. Ha sido una pena que durante la lectura del mismo me haya encontrado tantos fallos de transcripción que a veces me hacían interrumpir la lectura de la misma. Es por eso que ha perdido media alita, pero por el resto ha sido de rechupete.

Véreis, las mujeres somos cotillas de por sí y leer sobre la vida de mujer
Teressa
Oct 21, 2016 Teressa rated it liked it
The actual plot of this book was completely different than I thought it would be based on the title. Quick read, forgettable characters.
Nrul Blueyes
Sep 11, 2011 Nrul Blueyes rated it it was amazing
Reading this book, make me feel normal. I am not the only one on earth who has addiction and credit cards problem. Lorna Rafferty is dealing with the same issues. I am glad Beth put her character in the first chapter, because I can relate with her really. Especially the ignorance part, we both don’t bother to open the bills and always “believe” everything was settled on time. Hehe, I like her thinking. And I praised her for the “Shoe Addicts Anonymous” because whatever that was about to fall apa ...more
Leslie
I'm someone who was attracted to this book based on the title. I can understand one's infatuation with shoes, just as the 4 friends that are at the center of this group and book: Lorna, Sandra, Helene, and Joss. And it's not surprising the best parts of this book involves when these 4 women gather together for their weekly meeting. It was fun reading their interactions with each other, seeing them let go and enjoy their addiction to shoes. Those scenes really reflect how fun it can be when you a ...more
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • The Cinderella Pact
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • I Do -- But I Don't
  • Frenemies
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Little White Lies
  • See Jane Date
  • Good Luck
  • Little Lady, Big Apple (The Little Lady Agency, #2)
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Playing James
  • The Next Big Thing
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town. Her latest novel, ONE LESS PROBLEM WITHOUT YOU, comes out July 26, 2016.

More about Beth Harbison...

Shoe Addict (3 books)
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • A Shoe Addict's Christmas

“I think things ultimately work out the way they're supposed to, even if it's not always the most comfortable, cushy way.” 19 likes
“Trust that things do work out by themselves sometimes.” 10 likes