Start by marking “Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants” as Want to Read:
Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants

Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  439 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews

On the day of the 2010 All-Star break, the San Francisco Giants were pitted in fourth place in division standings. In some ways, their lack of success seemed more predictable than surprising: Manager Bruce Bochy's "Dirty Dozen" included an ace pitcher still recovering from a marijuana bust, a young hitter locked in a hitting slump, and an MVP seemingly condemned to the dis

Published March 1st 2011 by Triumph Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Band of Misfits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Band of Misfits

Nolan Walchuk
Jan 20, 2016 Nolan Walchuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great description of the 2010 San Francisco Giants. It's about the unlikely story of the Giants somehow finding a way to win it all. His use of humor and knowledge of the team and the game ties the book together beautifully. Overall a great book and a must read for any baseball fan.
Marshall Comstock
If you're a Giants fan you have to read it, if you hate the Giants you will think its the worst book you've ever read, if you just love baseball generally you'll probably really enjoy it, and if you think baseball is something you have to sit through to get to the NBA highlights on Sportscenter you're probably not even reading this review.
Spiros
Apr 07, 2011 Spiros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who waited 40+ years
Shelves: new, california, beisbol
There's no way to be objective about this. Is this the Greatest Story Ever Told? Fuck yeah.
Terry Miller
Jul 22, 2011 Terry Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written book about the SF Giants 2010 World Series winning season. Very insightful and entertaining. Every Giant fan must read this one. The Torture is over!!!!
Gareth
May 25, 2014 Gareth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Band of Misfits was a phenomenal book. I thought the author (Andrew Baggarly) provided such an in-depth analysis to the San Francisco Giants 2010 World Series run that it made me feel like I was actually a part of the team. Basically, the book talks about the San Francisco Giants’ amazing run to a World Series championship. The author replays the thrilling moments of the playoff games and the weird but interesting personalities of the Giants’ players. He also gives a great perspective of what ...more
Mike
Aug 19, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Band of MiSFits" by Andrew Baggarly tells the story of the long-suffering, upstart 2010 San Francisco Giants as they found themselves the underdogs all the way to winning the World Series.

This is obviously a must-read for any serious Giants fan. But even a casual fan of baseball (or of just Tim Lincecum or Brian Wilson) can enjoy this well-written series of vignettes detailing the improbable apotheosis of a group of "castoffs and misfits." This is the story of how the Rally Thong, Pat the Bat
Colleen
Sep 16, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Music connection: "Let it Rock" -Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
"I see your dirty face, high behind your collar...And you take your time, and you do your crime...When I arrive I bring the fire, make you come alive, I can take you higher...LET IT ROCK, LET IT ROCK, LET IT ROCK."

I laughed, I cried (no I really cried), and I truly did think I was part of the team. I read this book just as the Giants were slipping away from Arizona and were on a horrible scoring streak. Our pitchers were beat, and our
Teresa
Jan 27, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dyed in the wool Giants fan here. 2010 World Series run of my Giants was crazy and emotional and indeed torture inducing, but so so awesome! I've been meaning to read this book for a while now, but grad school was in the way. It was a real treat to read it on the plane home to New York after I spent a great break in the Bay Area, let me tell you.

Andy Baggarly is the Giants beat writer for the San Jose Mercury News, and pretty much the leading media force that covers the team. His twitter feed is
Sheila
Feb 08, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for Tim Lincecum prevents me from saying anything bad about the SF Giants or anything associated with them, including this book…

A Band of Misfits is a love letter to the 2010 SF Giants (and Buster Posey in particular). It reminded me of Moneyball, if Michael Lewis wanted to marry the A’s and have tiny Billy Beane babies…only without Billy Beane or math. (But still with Barry Zito. *dreamy sigh*)

I liked this book very much. It was a fun fast read to help get through these last few days be
Julianna Cardinale
Sep 09, 2014 Julianna Cardinale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-shelf
I really enjoyed this book. This books is a great read for any sports fan. It tells the story of a team of misfits that worked together to bring home a Championship. It shows how playing for the name on the front of your jersey not the back can really come into play. The guys on this team were truly selfless and it led to success. It also talks about all of the blockbuster moves that the front office had to makes for this team to click. It really is a great book to read.

Paul
Oct 16, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for fans of the San Francisco Giants (or sports in general), this shows how a team has to make adjustments throughout the year to address weaknesses, replace injuries, and improve and adapt as individual players. Being a lifelong Giants fan, this book about the 2010 World Series Championship was exquisitely special because of the wait involved – more than 40 years for me, and nearly 60 for the team – before the sweet joy of finally being able to say something other than “wait until ...more
Dan
Apr 26, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable romp through a season of "Torture" that ended in bliss, this breezy book profiles the members of the 2010 Giants and chronicles their march to San Francisco's first-ever World Series win. Though not immune from the standard shortcomings of sportswriting (overdramatics, psychologizing, and cute turns of phrase), Baggarly chose the right approach for this improbable tale: profiling members of the band (baseball warts and all) one at a time and demonstrating how they fit together to ma ...more
Paul Kapellas
Mar 23, 2016 Paul Kapellas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST read for Giants fans, and a good read for baseball fans. This brought back all the emotions that accompanied the 2010 season. Nearly in tears as I finished the book riding BART into the city this morning, but I held it together.
Baggarly does an exquisite job intertwining baseball biography with engaging narrative. As you sweep through the season you feel the excitement build through Baggarly's words, while detailing each "character" with their mini-bio's so that we feel closer to the pla
Matt Carton
Oct 03, 2015 Matt Carton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who cares if I am a Giants fan and November 1, 2010, was one of the three greatest days of my life (the other two being my wedding day and my child's birth)? I believe that Band of Misfits is one of the best baseball books I have ever read.
Maz
Dec 17, 2015 Maz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun retelling of the 2010 Giants World Series-winning season. Not the best prose in the world, but thoroughly enjoyable if you're a Giants fan.
gina
Jun 17, 2011 gina rated it it was amazing
As a die hard Giants fan I loved this book. It was like reliving the whole season over, along with the acid build up in my stomach due to all the torturous games they played. I laughed out loud, shed a tear or two, shook my head in amazement over what the pitching staff did, and the sweet reality of success.
I wish they had a whole chapter dedicated to Matt Cain, who has always flown under the radar, but showed his moxie on the national stage.
It was fun to read, and I wanted the story to conti
Ronni Redmond
Sep 17, 2011 Ronni Redmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book right after the 2010 World Series, as soon as it was published, so I was still in the ecstatic phase of fandom. Almost everything Baggs wrote about I was familiar with, but it was a real treatto read about the inner-workings of the clubhouse, the personal stories of the players and the joy and anquish that occurred on a daily basis. The book was well written. That was expected from a long-standing journalist, but it was written so that it was an easy read, and that's the way it ...more
Kela
Sep 07, 2015 Kela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recap, but if you're a Giants fan you probably won't learn anything new here.
Joanna
Sep 14, 2015 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book ever. New stories, compellingly told, a must-read for any Giants fan.
Dulcinea
Mar 12, 2015 Dulcinea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful look at their first championship season. Delightful read.
Susan
May 18, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Loved this. I think it's a must-read for any Giants fan. I borrowed this from the library, but I'm going to add it to my collection. Looking forward to reading Baggarly's next book.
D.
Aug 30, 2011 D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book seamlessly highlights the strength of character, the joy, the struggles, the camaraderie and, ultimately, the triumph that this group of unwanted misfits and "wash ups" went through in the 2010 season.

There are no words to properly express my joy and gratitude to the Giants for finally bringing a World Series championship to the city of San Francisco. Baggarly makes their victory that much sweeter by showing us that it could not have happened to a better group of guys. A true team.

Amanda
Jan 23, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved reading "Band of Misfits" by Giants beat writer Andrew Baggarly!!! :D I'm a huge fan of the Giants and Tim Lincecum, so I totally enjoyed this book!!! :D It was amazing getting to read this and relive that amazing 2010 season and World Series win!!!!!!!! :D Plus, it went so much more in depth with all of the great guys who play for this team and I have always loved learning their stories. I learned even more with this book!!! :D It's a must have for any Giants fan!!! :D
Cindy
Nov 19, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baggarly beautifully retells the Giants' magical 2010 season with style and humor. He focused on a different player/person in each chapter that had a helping hand in the 2010 season. He weaves in a lot of personal stories about players with the events of the season. I love re reading this book. Brings back memories! I love reading the entire playoff because it actually feels like I'm WATCHING all the games. That shows how good Baggs is!
Dec 02, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. It doesn't work right now for my research, but I'll come back to it again when I get to that stage of writing. Baggarly has some moments of fan reaction, but most of it is player backstory, which I got a lot of during the 2010 season, so the book read fast. He had some great scenes and lines, but the overall narrative line ran a little choppy.

Good stuff if you're a Giants' fan and didn't follow Baggarly on Twitter in 2010.
Jeannie
Aug 02, 2011 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-memoirs
Excellent recap of the dream season of these band of misfits! Loved every chapter and flowed really nicely. The background stories of all the players were my favorite parts, I've watched these guys for a year now and they feel like people I know and thanks to this book I really have great insight on them now. I highly recommend this book to any Giants fan, any baseball fan and any sports fan in general. Well written, awesomely told.
Jeff
A must read for any San Francisco Giants fan. Sure you know how the 2010 baseball season went, but Andrew Baggarly wove all the stories of the players together with the key moments of the season together. From the Freak and the Rally Thong to Fear the Beard and the Machine, you have it all in this book. Plus, there are a few snippets that haven't been revealed anywhere else. Stop reading this review and get this book now!!!
Damon
Jan 23, 2013 Damon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! If you love the San Francisco Giants then this is a must read book. It tells the stories of the player and how they got to be where they are at. It took the last day to make the playoffs and the history goes on from there. The clubhouse is one strong group and that is what makes a great team. Baggarly tells a great story about what went on throughout the year.
Mei
Apr 03, 2011 Mei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting for the SF Giants to win the World Series since I was 12. 2002 nearly ruptured my brain. 2010 did. True, there is a limited audience for this book and if you've followed the team as closely as I did the previous season, it's a bit repetitive. But what great repetition. Somethings never get old. Like saying to yourself, "San Francisco Giants, World Champions."
Amos
Aug 05, 2011 Amos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say- A recap of the Giants incredible run to the championship written by their beat writer from San Jose. Got goose bumps to many times to remember while reading this book. Fun, fun stuff. What a fraaking season it was... There was MAGIC inside, and this book lets you relive each fantastic moment of it :)

G I G A N T E S B A B Y ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
  • Molina: The Story of the Father Who Raised an Unlikely Baseball Dynasty
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL's Greatest Quarterback Controversy
  • Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time
  • The Pitch That Killed
  • One Last Strike
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Comeback
  • The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist: Volume 3
  • The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back
  • Due Date
  • The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot: Marranos and Other Secret Jews--A Woman Discovers Her Spiritual Heritage
  • Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure

“Former Journey lead singer Steve Perry was a lifelong Giants fan who grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. When the Dodgers started showing him on the big screen during their nightly sing-along, Perry protested by sneaking out of his seats before the eighth inning began. Now the Giants were making their playoff run, and Perry had become a regular sight at AT&T park, thrashing around from a club-level suite as he spurred on the crowd.” 3 likes
“Neukom, the Giants' buttoned-down owner, finally found Ross and vigorously rubbed his bald head while screaming jibberish nobody could understand” 3 likes