Start by marking “Ghosts of the Fireground: Echoes of the Great Peshtigo Fire and the Calling of a Wildland Firefighter” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A firefighter's remarkable first–hand account of the lessons of tragedy, courage and faith in the epic struggle between man and fire.

In April of 2000, on the brink of one of the most ferocious fire seasons ever recorded, Peter Leschak discovers the diary of Father Pernin, one of the few survivors of a wildfire that hit Peshtigo, Wisconsin, in 1871. Throughout this harrowi
Paperback
Published July 22nd 2003 by HarperOne (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of the Fireground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of the Fireground

Bo Day
I'd never heard of the Peshtigo fire before I read this book. Leschak's knowledge and understanding of fire gives hair raising context to the observations of Reverend Peter Pernin during that horrible fire. For that knowledge alone, it's worth the read.

The descriptions of Leschak's fire fighting experiences are less exciting, and in some places too technical for me. I found myself skimming through a lot of passages, but maybe that's just me. I also kept expecting Leschak to relate a really dange
Fuego En Mi Corazon
A fair book. The writing was sometimes old-fashioned and the plot seemed to move slow or be nonexistant in places. The constant religious references were off-putting and alienating, I don't want to read about how someone found God, I want to read about his adventures as a fire fighter! One or two references are okay, but it was a little heavy on the religious front. Didn't leave much room for any other thoughts or ideas.

The history however was interesting, especially seeing how the Peshtigo fire
Kerry
I started reading this book with a healthy sense of skepticism, but was quickly proven wrong. Despite Leschak's penchant for romanticizing and nostalgia, he cuts to the quick of human nature in incredibly difficult, dangerous, and beautiful settings. Particularly fire. I enjoyed the historical aspect a lot, as an amateur history lover.
Brandon
A pretty good book about fighting wildfires. The weaving in of the story of Father Pernin and his struggles during the Peshtigo fire don't always seem entirely relevant, but are still interesting. It was funny that I happened to drive by Peshtigo while reading the book.
Jennifer Busick
Leschak is at his best when talking about fire -- the wildfires he fights, or the Peshtigo fire that forms his historic backdrop. When he veers into spirituality, the narrative suffers. Overall a good read.
Kristopher
A wonderful historical retelling and personal narrative. Required reading for anyone who has walked the fire grounds.
Andy
Great book that weaves current day experiences of a wildland firefighter with the deadliest wildfire in our history.
Kelsey Gebera
Kelsey Gebera marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kim Accola
Kim Accola marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Erika Wolff
Erika Wolff marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Wyn Hall
Wyn Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Beth Wyse
Beth Wyse is currently reading it
May 15, 2015
Wozza
Wozza marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jaimie
Jaimie added it
Apr 05, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Sami Storey
Sami Storey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Jadeal
Jadeal marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Meg Farahay
Meg Farahay marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Cooper
Cooper marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
David
David added it
Apr 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Letters from Side Lake: A Chronicle of Life in the North Woods The Bear Guardian: Northwoods Tales and Meditations Letters From Side Lake: A Chronicle of Life in the North Woods Seeing the Raven: A Narrative of Renewal Snow Lotus: Exploring the Eternal Moment