For the Love of Music: Invitations to Listening

For the Love of Music: Invitations to Listening

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The power of music, the way it works on the mind and heart, remains an enticing mystery. Now two noted writers on classical music, Michael Steinberg and Larry Rothe, explore the allure of this melodious art--not in the clinical terms of social scientists--but through stories drawn from their own experience.
In For the Love of Music, Steinberg and Rothe draw on a lifetime...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2006)

Kevin Symmons
As a former music student and musician, I enjoyed this book tremendously. More than dissecting many of the world's more well-know pieces--something that would have been beyond my knowledge--it offered interesting and previously unknown insights I would never have known... including anecdotal material about performance(s). It does require an interest in serious (often mislabeled classical) music not known to many. Therefore if your interest in symphonies, operas, etc is just a passing thing I wou...more
Gloria
This is not a book to necessarily read cover to cover. It is more of a reference book for when you want to move on and discover a new composer or artist. This provides an intelligent and interesting summary of many composers and highlights especially good compositions. Already have learned quite a lot when I thought I knew quite a lot already.
Amanda
I found this book so fascinating. It was an introduction to the world of Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Mahler, and all those other greats who wrote great music. It gave me a different view of them all, and made me want to go back and listen to more classical music.
Rene Saller
Rene Saller marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Jingwen Tu
Jingwen Tu marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Jmm
Jmm marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Sjon
Sjon is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2013
Cathryn Hrudicka
Cathryn Hrudicka marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Annie
Annie added it
Nov 04, 2012
Amy
Amy added it
Oct 19, 2012
Tim Caines
Tim Caines marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Asma Fedosia
Asma Fedosia marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
The Symphony: A Listener's Guide Choral Masterworks: A Listener's Guide The Concerto: A Listener's Guide The Fiction of a Thinkable World: Body, Meaning, and the Culture of Capitalism Still Pitching: A Memoir