Start by marking “Journey: New And Selected Poems 1969-1999” as Want to Read:
Journey: New And Selected Poems 1969-1999

Journey: New And Selected Poems 1969-1999

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Kathleen Norris has touched readers throughout America with her thoughtful and provocative memoirs of faith: Dakota: A Spiritual Geography, The Cloister Walk, and Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith. She is equally admired for her poetry of engagement with the spiritual world and its landscapes. Journey includes poems from three previous books spanning thirty years, along ...more
Published March 2nd 2001 by University of Pittsburgh Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey

Melinda
Well, last year I read some poems by Dana Gioia. So this year I have read some poems by Kathleen Norris. I liked his book of poems a bit better, but then I don't really enjoy blank verse and that is what Kathleen Norris writes in.

These poems are interesting and span a fair number of years, 30 years, to be exact. When read with some of her books (Cloister Walk, Dakota, etc), you get a feel for what things were going on in her life when she wrote the poems. That is different way to read poems, an
Keith
Jul 11, 2008 Keith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is foolish enough to listen to me
Recommended to Keith by: No one. I discovered its publication by checking Kathleen's web
This is a telling collection. I read Kathleen's first published book of poetry after I met her, and didn't think much of it at all. And, of course, fierce editor that I am, I told her. Her next publications were better, better, and better. In a conversation with Kathleen after this collection was issued, I reminded her what I thought of her early work. She took it in stride. That's before I got gravity, she said. After she "got gravity", she became a fine, fine poet and essayist. She is the real ...more
Patty
I found this book at a book sale that I should never have gone to. We arrived at the library sale just when they were trying to get rid of what was left. So I got to pack a bag for just a couple of bucks.

This was so lucky. I had only read one book of Norris' poetry and now I own one. This is so wonderful. I have read many of the poems several times and they contain so much. The poetry is beautiful.
Kate
This collection is filled with accessible, beautiful poems that strike at the heart of what it means to live a Christian life. There are questions and discoveries, explorations of joy and sorrow. This is one of those books I pull down off the shelf again and again to revisit the words.
Karen Floyd
Norris is a good poet, but my initial reaction is that the poems are either depressing or all about sex!
Bebelyn Hile
Bebelyn Hile marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Victoria Hudgins
Victoria Hudgins marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Kylee
Kylee marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Deborah Sherman
Deborah Sherman marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Glenda
Glenda added it
Dec 30, 2013
Raine Carraway
Raine Carraway marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Lynne
Lynne added it
Apr 24, 2013
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Kathleen Norris was born on July 27, 1947 in Washington, D.C. She grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii, as well as on her maternal grandparents’ farm in Lemmon, South Dakota.

Her sheltered upbringing left her unprepared for the world she encountered when she began attending Bennington College in Vermont. At first shocked by the unconventionality surrounding her, Norris took refuge in poetry.

After she grad
More about Kathleen Norris...
The Cloister Walk Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith Dakota: A Spiritual Geography Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work (Madeleva Lecture in Spirituality)