Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography

Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Beginning with the Gospels, interpretations of the life of Jesus have flourished for nearly two millennia, yet a clear and coherent picture of Jesus as a man has remained elusive. In Rabbi Jesus, the noted biblical scholar Bruce Chilton places Jesus within the context of his times to present a fresh, historically accurate, and revolutionary examination of the man who found...more
Published May 14th 2002 by Image (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rabbi Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbi Jesus

Kay
This book is fascinating. The author explores the Biblical and other historical evidence of Jesus' life and posits the theory that many of his sayings need to be interpreted more closely in light of rabbinical teachings at the time, especially those of the charismatic leader John the Baptist. I hope I do not mischaracterize the book in saying that what I took away from it was that Jesus was indeed a transformative figure, but not necessarily in the way that Christians typically understand.

I lik...more
Mary-Ellen
I enjoyed Chilton's book on Mary Magdalene so much that I immediately bought and read Rabbi Jesus. Another interesting read. Much political context is included, basically adding an element that was not given to me in my Catholic education. On some level, the book on Mary was easier to read, but noone ever said Jesus of Nazareth was easy to understand. Certainly a portrait of a man, someone you could have met, was made. For anyone who likes to read about history and people, this is provocative. N...more
Jay B.
This compact book is filled with an extraordinary set of insights, engagingly told & supported by inspired scholarship.

When the traditional Gospel accounts are supplemented with their missing Judaic context, a fresh Jesus emerges - he is a 1st century Palestinian, a devout Jew, steeped in the Torah.

As one Catholic priest told a mutual friend: After giving an informed sermon, the priest was approached by a disturbed parishoner who exclaimed, "Father, are you telling me that Jesus had a Jewi...more
Kenny
Oct 13, 2007 Kenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those open to pondering Jesus
Shelves: religion, history
The author, an ordained cleric, nevertheless doubts the supernatural powers and authority of Jesus of Nazareth, and attempts (somewhat unsuccessfully) to explain away most of Jesus' miracles and radically new teachings, couching him as an itinerant, illiterate preacher with a knack for knocking off Jewish teachings and re-tooling them as his own. While unconvincing in that respect, the book is priceless as an inside view of the times that Jesus came of age. Chilton's vivid description of Jerusal...more
Mary Gail O'Dea
Wonderful book by Bruce Chilton about the historical Jesus. It is so exciting that fairly recent archaeology and cultural anthropology studies have made Jesus so much more accessible. No, he was not born in Bethlehem; no he did not arrive via Virgin Birth; yes, he was illiterate; no he did not die for our sins; yes, he was a Jew who hoped to change the rituals of sacrifice for the Temple and had no intention of forming a new religion; yes, he and Mary Magdalene, his primary disciple, and he may...more
Barry
Dec 24, 2008 Barry is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating take on who the person Jesus may have been. All the more remarkable because it's written by a priest, who debunks many of the unrealistic, commonly-held conceptions of Jesus. In fact, the real person was just like anyone else: flawed, angry, motivated, and complex. Unlike any other study of Jesus I've come across.
Kim Berkey
Main claim: Christ was a Merkabah mystic; plenty that I disagree with, but it's a very accessible book, and the closing statements are breathtaking in their poignant view of suffering and its role in Christianity.
Lee Harmon
Definitely one of my favorite authors. I believe he's the one who called my most-studied scripture, Revelation, a “perfectly rancid book." But I forgive him; I think that quote sets the tone for his book about the practical, historical Jesus in 180-degree contrast to the bloody warrior image some Jews & Christians wished of their Messiah.

Chilton is a great story-teller, and his writing immerses us in the world of Jesus. Temple procedures and the Roman Empire come alive. Chilton knows his stu...more
C.
Oct 23, 2008 C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 13+
Recommended to C. by: Jonathan Percival
Damon Davis
Not a very good book. The problem is really not the assertions he makes as much as the lack of sources and evidence he fails to produce in support. Books such as The Jesus Dynasty are much better reads in this regard. The novel like presentation was great Approach but does not make up for the absence of explaining his conclusions about Jesus. For example of Jesus does not return home after his incident in the temple at 12, other than saying trust me I've figured this all out he doesn't even atte...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really enjoyed this book the first time I read it and wanted to reread it before I read Zealot
If you are unable to look at the history of Jesus and only see the biblical version of him - you will NOT like this book. Bruce Chilton uses real history and then facts plus imagination to come to some interesting conclusions about the life of the historical Jesus. So many people want to take the real life Jesus out of their understanding of him. But looking at the times in which he lived the Jewish l...more
Christopher
"Jesus' kabbalah of crucifixion, the discovery of who we are in the midst of our pain, offers the vision that death's change is not simply degradation and despair. It is not the end of us, but the end of who we think we are. To lose one's live is to save it, Jesus said. Death is our hardest lesson, but it is also the gateway into the true, divine source of human identity...

"Jesus' force resides in his vulnerability not only on the cross but throughout his life. He entices each of us to meet him...more
Vince
Terrible book. the author shows little interest in the historical Jesus. He writes what he hopes is true. There are better books.
Tokoro
Dec 26, 2013 Tokoro added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tokoro by: Uncle
This was given as a gift from one of my uncles for high school graduation. I found his points interesting, especially the chapter on the first biblical suggestion of a mobile temple in alignment with Israel as a priest and gateway for the nations, as Ezekiel's vision of a chariot and Jesus' appropriation of this influence upon himself, his rabbinical teaching and his identity. It could correspond with understanding of the followers of the Way of him as the Jewish messiah of promise. Ultimately t...more
Ryan
In Rabbi Jesus, Chilton paints a vivid portrait of a very Jewish interpretation of the historical Jesus. There is a high amount of imagination in Chilton's biography, and he appears to be rather sold on the, in my opinion, dubious methodology of the Quest for the Historical Jesus (including a religious dedication to Enlightenment ideals of history at the expense of Christian hermeneutics). Still, there is a great deal of history employed in painting Chilton's biography, and he offers an entertai...more
Roxanne
Speculative, imaginative, lacking in scholarship.
Michael
This is a very good read. Chilton treats Jesus as an historical figure, but works hard to create a narrative that immerses Jesus in his Galilean heritage. From his earliest experiences as the illegimate son of Mary, through his tutelage under John the Baptist through to his own rabbinic teachings, particularly around feasting and the kingdom of god. This is a highly readable book that gives clear insight into Jesus' life and mission.
L.
Very interesting, but not "scholarly" in the sense that it's much more like storytelling than research. That makes me a little nervous [and accounts for the addition of the 'fiction' shelf].

Anyway, Chilton fills in the years from 12 to 30 of Jesus' life and "re-imagines" his ministry as a 20-year journey begun as an adolescent with John the Baptist and continuing and evolving through his 20s. Good.
I'm giving Rabbi Jesus 4 stars because it was entertaining to read. The story itself was very lively and really easy to get into and read. However, the actual facts in the book are another thing. I felt like the whole book was spent with Chilton backing up his story with quotes and scripture that to me, didn't quite fit. I was also curious how reached his conclusions, they seemed far fetched.
Tony Ross
The author attempts to take a look at the historical Jesus, as if the historical Jesus and the Jesus of the Bible are mutually exclusive entities. It is written well, but I must admit that some of the author's arguments refuting the divinity of Jesus are a little thin. The book does an outstanding job of "drawing a picture" of the times, the people, and the landscape of the day.
Cheryl
Jesus is pictured here as he probably looked, short of stature, dark skinned and of all things Jewish! I am tired of the European and Americanized versions of his appearance in paintings and sculpture. I agree with another reviewer that you should keep your skeptic hat on but enjoy the book.
Robert
Oct 05, 2008 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Paul Gardner
An interesting reminder that Jesus lived in a world with real history, politics, people and geography and dealt with all of these. It also reminds us that Jesus was Jewish in all respects. The author did not convince me that this is more than "historical fiction", but did give me some new things to think about. Worth reading.
Jim
Aug 25, 2007 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the historical Jesus
Chilton's historical reconstruction of Jesus is highly imaginative and sure to strike many readings the wrong way. However, it is at nearly every point historically plausible even if one might think that aspects of it are unlikely. It is safe to say that Chilton's portrait is different from what you have read before.
Kristen
I want to read this again sometime; it took me a little bit to catch up with the world Chilton describes. The book's arguments about Jesus's spiritual beliefs and practices and the various competing approaches of others, as well as its discussion of the politics of the time and place, were fascinating.
casey
This book was okay. I think the author was grasping to much into what he thought was going on. There were a lot of ideas that he has about Jesus that I really didn't think were acurate, especially since the author really doesn't have any proof of what he is writing about. Wasn't a bad book though.
Jonathan
Very interesting speculative view on the life of Jesus. Historically fascinating! It changes your idea of Jesus and gives new appreciation to Him as a man and what He endured. This may challenge some of your thinking, but keep in mind this is one man's presentation of how it might have been.
Cynthia
While I don't adhere strictly to every hypothesis the author puts forward, it was nonetheless wonderful to view Jesus in his Jewish context. A transformative opportunity to come closer to the texts, influences and practices of the beloved.
blmagm
Oh my! What an interesting interpretation of the words spoken by Jesus ("This is my body. This is my blood.") that are now part of the Eucharist's Great Thanksgiving. Excellent choice for Lenten reading and reflection.
Lily
Sometimes troubling, sometimes thought provoking, sometimes stating the obvious that we don't usually consider, sometimes bringing considerable academic scholarship to the fore.
  • The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • The Quest of the Historical Jesus
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem
  • The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Paul: The Mind of the Apostle
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings
  • In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins
  • What Would Jesus Deconstruct?: The Good News of Postmodernism for the Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • The Preaching Life
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
Mary Magdalene: A Biography Rabbi Paul: An Intellectual Biography Abraham's Curse: The Roots of Violence in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam Judaism in the New Testament The Brother of Jesus: James the Just and His Mission