Start by marking “Bad Moon Rising (Sam McCain, #9)” as Want to Read:
Bad Moon Rising (Sam McCain, #9)

Bad Moon Rising (Sam McCain #9)

A hippie commune has invaded Black River Falls. While the majority of the townspeople believe that the bohemians have the right to stay—despite how bizarre some of their ways can seem—as always, there is a minority that constantly accuses them of everything from criminal activities to Satanism. As usual, lawyer and private investigator Sam McCain finds himself in the middl ...more
Published October 12th 2011 by Pegasus Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Moon Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Moon Rising

Ed
Oct 23, 2011 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: private eye novel fans
Recommended to Ed by: previous fan of the series
How can you not like a novel that uses a CCR song for its title and also mentions the pulp noir master Charles Williams? Sam McCain, early 30s, is the private investigator/attorney living in Black River Falls, Iowa, a small city where a hippie commune (this is 1968, after all) on the city's outskirts creates all sorts of friction. Then a murder occurs, and the plot really thickens. I've grown to like Sam as a person and a private eye. He's self-effacing, has a good heart, and is even-tempered. H ...more
Randy
Aug 26, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing
It's 1968 in this crime novel. Sam McCain is a lawyer that moonlights as a PI to pick up some extra cash. He's called out to a hippie commune outside Black River Falls, Iowa by the leader, Richard Donovan, for a matter he couldn't talk about over the phone. Sam had represented the commune a number of times in court(the sheriff was a bigot in addition to being incompetent and just plain stupid; not mention a nemesis of Sam's).

He's shown a body in the barn, a young woman, the daughter of one of th
Louis
Nov 21, 2016 Louis rated it really liked it
Ed Gorman could have drawn on nostalgia alone when he created Sam McCain but he aimed higher. The Iowa lawyer-investigator gets caught up in the social divisions of 1950s and '60s America. This book drops us into the raging cultural battles of 1968. A local hippie commune is suspected of being responsible for the death of a young woman from a prominent family. Sam is hired to find her killer, then told by his client to drop the matter. As he digs into this mystery, he alienates large segments of ...more
Kenny
Mar 25, 2016 Kenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-other
Character centered story with a logical plot. Didn't guess the ending until the chapter before the end, and the resolution follows clearly from the characters. Uses Vietnam era as colorful setting that runs from cartoonish to realistic, depending on how deep Gorman goes into the character. A fun read.
Diane S ☔
Sep 28, 2011 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
3.5 Such a great fun series with interesting characters although my favorite judge just puts in a token appearance in this one. Townspeople clash with the hippies in the 60's, as do the leading imperious churchman of the town. McCain gets involved when there is a murder of a local whose body is found on the commune.
Tony
Sep 28, 2014 Tony rated it liked it
BAD MOON RISING. (2011). Ed Gorman. ***.
The author’s approach to plotting and character development become obvious when you read two of his books in a row. That’s not to say that they are bad, but it takes the surprise out of reading them. In this episode of the series featuring Sam McCain, a lawyer from Black River Falls, Iowa, we are immediately faced with a murder. A young girl is found dead in one of the out buildings on land inhabited by a group of young people – HIPPIES! The group is not v
Dale
Jul 15, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published by AudioGo in 2012
Read by Joe Barrett
Duration: 6 hours, 6 minutes.

This is the first book I have read (or for that matter even seen) in the Sam McCain series. Normally, I would not recommend jumping in on the ninth book in a series, but it is a testament to the skill of the author, Ed Gorman, that I was able listen to Bad Moon Rising and join right in and not feel lost at all. The titles in the series all come from music from the general time that the book is set in.

It is late Augus
John Marsh
Jul 03, 2015 John Marsh rated it really liked it
Michael Schramme
Feb 24, 2014 Michael Schramme rated it it was amazing
This is a very special 'private eye' series built around a lawyer and special court investigator, Sam McCain, in a small town in the midwest (Iowa) in the fifties and sixties. I absolutely love this series for several reasons:

1. the wonderful immersion into a different time, spanning a decade from the late fifties to the late sixties. The descriptions are detailed, evocative, engaging and realistic. They are exceptionally well done.
2. The protagonist is a likeable average joe, who is easy to ide
Arthur Kittler
Jan 10, 2012 Arthur Kittler rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good book but not much character development. I liked them all but knew little about them.
The plot line is remeniscent of some old western movies with no surprises, twists or turns. A wealthy and powerful man loses a loved one to murder and attempts to find justice by using his financial recources. The book is rather short at 196 pages and perhaps another one or two hundred pages would have been in order to develop characters or a better plot. The main character, Sam McCain,
Susan Oleksiw
Apr 05, 2013 Susan Oleksiw rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
In 1968 a hippe commune takes over a farm in Black River Falls, and some in the town are unhappy about it. When a local girl is found murdered in the barn, one man is immediately thought to be guilty. The dead girl is the daughter of the town's richest citizen, Paul Mainwaring, and he hires Sam McCain to find out who is guilty. A widower, Paul has recently married his second wife, Eve, who is known for not getting along with her two stepdaughters. Sam sets out to learn as much as he can about th ...more
Dave
Nov 10, 2011 Dave rated it liked it
I've really enjoyed the Sam McCain mysteries. The 1st one (The day the music died) was set in 1959. Each one moves a little thru the years....This one is set in 1968. The mood of the novel is a little different, due to the changing landscape of America at the time.(Though Sam still has a quick wit, and can be a smart-ass when needed) It can be read as a standalone, I guess, though the other novels are worth the time, and help flesh out the story....
I hope this is not the last one...but I worry
Sherry
Feb 27, 2012 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Found this book at the library and decided to start reading it while my kids were on the computers for a while. Got so engrossed in it I had to loan it out. Two days later I was finished because I couldn't put the darn thing down! Love the characters, writing, pretty much everything about it. I've always liked Ed Gorman, always pick up books by him. Now I'll be looking to see if it says " A Sam McCain Mystery" somewhere on the book as well. Great character and I can't wait to read more!
Jessica
Dec 14, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Set in 1968, this mystery features a very likable detective investigating the murder of a rich girl on a hippie commune. With the backdrop of vietnam and the assassinations of RFK and MLK, the setting is authentic and compelling. Although it's a pretty short read (aprx 200 pages), it was throughly satisfying. I don't usually read series, but the ending has left me anticipating the next Sam McCain mystery.
Jeff Dickison
This is the weakest of the Sam McCain series, not because of the writing or plotting, but because it accurately reflects the late sixties, the worst decade of America I think. Black River Falls is torn by the Vietnam war, drugs are rampant, there is a hippie commune outside of town, and Cliffie is still sheriff. How depressing. I hope there is another book that does give some feedback on Sam's earlier girlfrieds and their subsequent lives. Recommended only to Sam McCain fans.
Melodie
Dec 06, 2011 Melodie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
This has to be my least favorite of the Sam McCain books, but still worth reading. The story didn't go where I thought it would, and it seemed to get tied up abruptly. Also the ending was definitely different. I hope there will be another in this series, to see what happens with how this one ended.
Amanda Meggs
Apr 20, 2014 Amanda Meggs rated it liked it
I found this Sam McCain novel a little disappointing although I'm not too sure why. I think that I really wanted Sam to have his life together by now and he's almost there. It was also the undertones that I found rather depressing, the story was complete and left no loose ends but most of these books aren't very long and could be fleshed out more.
Elderberrywine
Jan 05, 2012 Elderberrywine rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
As much of a slice of its time as a mystery, and a point on representation of a period I can well remember. Not to mention an ending that I did not, in any way, see coming.

Zipped through this one in a day.
Anne
Feb 28, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
I liked it. Lots of references to a time when I was a teenager.
Lee
Feb 02, 2017 Lee rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, I was a hippie living in Cedar Rapids after Kent State, so this brought back many memories. So so mystery, but lots of memories of that era.
Al Stoess
Oct 21, 2014 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gorman fans. Sam McCain fans.
Another good Sam McCain novel by Gorman.
GIZMO
Nov 07, 2013 GIZMO rated it liked it
I wish Sam well and a safe return tron Vietnam but I wont be here to welcome him back...series just isnt fun anymore....stick with the first 3 or 4 they were the best
Nancy
Oct 15, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
This is the 1st book by this author I have read. I liked it well enough that I will read more of his books.
Susan
Oct 03, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Great read and set in the early 60s. The backround nostalgia is fun.
Harlequin Books
Category: Mystery
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2012
Tijanailich
Tijanailich rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Mikebee
Mikebee rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
May 01, 2012
Jim H
Jim H rated it did not like it
Oct 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Unscratchables
  • The Samaritan
  • The Adjustment
  • The Wild Hog Murders (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)
  • The Shattered Vine (Vineart War #3)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana, #1)
  • Body Copy
  • Shadow of the Wolf Tree (Woods Cop, #7)
  • Leadville (Steve Dancy Tales, #2)
  • Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • Murder in Mystic Cove
  • Blown Away (Frank Corso, #6)
  • Death of a Second Wife (Dotsy Lamb, #4)
  • A Window in Copacabana
  • The Water Lily Cross
  • Death in High Places
Edward Joseph Gorman was born on November 2, 1941 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, ...more
More about Ed Gorman...

Sam McCain (10 books)
  • The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1)
  • Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? (Sam McCain, #3)
  • Save the Last Dance for Me (Sam McCain, #4)
  • Everybody's Somebody's Fool (Sam McCain, #5)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Sam McCain, #6)
  • Fools Rush In (Sam McCain, #7)
  • Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain, #8)
  • Riders on the Storm (Sam McCain, #10)