Start by marking “The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage” as Want to Read:
The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage

The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Walter Dean Myers and renowned filmmaker Bill Miles deftly tell the true story of the unsung American heroes of the 369th Infantry Regiment of World War I in The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage.

At a time of widespread bigotry and racism, the African American soldiers of the 369th Infantry Regiment put their lives on the line in
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Harlem Hellfighters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harlem Hellfighters

Alicia
The details of the story of the Harlem Hellfighters is what makes it a comprehensive look at this group born through World War I. While I was lost and/or disinterested in some of the strategy and fighting style during World War I in some of the chapters as they traveled to France and began their fight, I was more closely reading the sections that focused on specific individuals who don't get the notoriety they deserve because of their view as second-class citizens born from slavery and how it co ...more
Pam Williams
I chose this book for my Battle of the Books nonfiction selection because it was co-written by Walter Dean Myers and was about the first black army division which fought in WWI. I was so disappointed by it (and the fact that I'm forcing my students to read it). It's not well written and requires some work to slog through.
Charles Martin
Walter Dean Myers focuses primarily on the African American experience in his writing, and this nonfiction text is no exception. The book is full of various pictures, memos, quotations, letters, posters, etc. which really aid the telling of the story. The second half of the text is much more personal and engaging than the first half -- which I credit to the inclusion of more specific anecdotal stories about specific soldiers. I still feel the book only scratches the surface about the experience; ...more
Khadijah Visor
The book was okay, it had a lot of information thrown together about the men and what happened in Europe. It was a little organized but it kind of went off topic at times. It had a lot of history and facts that were important to know but it felt as if i was reading a history book instead of a children's book giving me insight on the story in a way that would interest me and keep my attention. It had a lot going on and focused more on just the African American men but Europe and WWI also.
James
Mar 10, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid little history of the 369th Infantry Regiment, an all-black American National Guard unit that served under French command in WWI. The best parts are the chapters that establish the context for the story of the regiment. The chapters "War in Europe" and "Trench Warfare" are the best coverage we have in the children's department of WWI. Complex issues and grim realities are presented in an age-appropriate way, without dumbing-down or sentimentalism - no mean feat, judging by the much of the ...more
Fishface
A good read, although the book seemed more geared for kids than adults, and it ranged all over the history of African-American soldiers rather than focusing on the stated subject. The many other books cited by the author are likely to lead you to many other interesting topics.
Leah
A highly condensed narrative; I would be interested in more details, but it was a good intro to the subject. Nice photos.
Serena
Mar 01, 2012 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage by Walter Dean Myers and Bill Miles is a book for ages 9-12 and chronicles the exploits of the “Harlem Hellfighters,” who were African-American soldiers of the 369th Infantry Regiment of World War 1. Miles writes the preface to the book and talks about his personal connection to the unit and Harlem, eventually becoming the unit historian.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2012/03/t...
Hisham itani
Apr 11, 2013 Hisham itani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the title of that book is: THE HARLEM HELLFIGHTERS, and the author is Walter Dean Myers and Bill Miles,
this novels compare to The Restless Dead, the book is unique and special because he talk about the history of the world between 1916-1948.
the evens of that book is the war between the great country like Germany, America,and other country...
i like that book because he teach me about the history of world and how was the war,soldier,weapon,the actions in the past.
B
A history of the Harlem Hellfighters, a black military regiment who were organized and trained to fight in World War I. The photography as well the reproductions of posters, military letters, etc. was great, however the writing for me was just okay. I would still recommend it for the interesting subject and the glimpse into life for African Americans during that time period.
Anthony(the world class soccer player
i recently finished this and thought it was pretty good actually it mainly talks about there trainig up to the world war I.
Camden
Camden rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Melissa Pinkley
Melissa Pinkley rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Mholland
Mholland rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Brion Miller
Brion Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Daniel Brown
Daniel Brown rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
LT
LT marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ashley Kang
Ashley Kang marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Heather Smith
Heather Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Jul 23, 2015
Mark Perkins
Mark Perkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi
More about Walter Dean Myers...